Warrenton

Kalani Sitake from Brigham Young interviewing for the job?

Not really liking Sitake as a candidate... BYU is a completely different beast from Oregon. 

Mormon missions change the average age of the players which makes for a different team make up. Yes BYU beat 5 Pac-12 teams this last year but I don't think he's a cultural fit for Oregon and I feel like many candidates proposed... He'd be good at Oregon but good is playing for the occasional Rose Bowl not the Playoff. 

• Thumbs Up 4

All. Wrong. No. No. No. No.No.

I'm just hoping this is an interview they feel they have to do but don't have any real interest.

I feel like I'm being a coach snob at this point but this hire needs to be right and needs to come soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:48 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm just hoping this is an interview they feel they have to do but don't have any real interest.

I feel like I'm being a coach snob at this point but this hire needs to be right and needs to come soon. 

I think the right hire is going to upset about half of us.  People are sharing pros and cons for about every name out there.

I’ve heard upside and downside for (insert coach name here), he’s great, he sucks, can’t recruit, stuck in the past, not enough experience, offensive wizard, players coach, retired, under contract….  The list goes on.

I think I will trust in the brain trust and root for whoever we get.  If I know anything, it is that lots of people (including me) will have lots to say about our vision for OBD!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Sitake might just win the Pac12 next year with Oregon’s resources.

Heck, he would have done it without Oregon’s resources this year.

Not a coach to dismiss.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Like 2

It's sounding like Kalani Sitake has accepted and is interviewing. He is a very real possibility and perhaps a probability now.

Brigham Young will not be able to match the salary Uncle Phil offers. It's a done deal if our side decides to hire him.

Don't worry about the Mormons either. I have a second home in Park City, UT and they're not really all that bad. I have plenty of friends.

Edited by Warrenton
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:48 PM, David Marsh said:

You're no snob David.  I think you have a very valid point.

I personally think he's interesting.  I'm done with the Spread for the most part.  I believe it should be part of an offense that primarily works under center.

I don't see enough Sequentials ( Constraint plays for the football expert) that work unless the QB running it is extremely elite 

Too many well coached and talented defenses are stopping the Spread now.  I'm looking for a HC that knows offenses period.  But I want a coach that can make a conventional offense explosive and incorporate some Spread wrinkles.

The Ducks are loaded on offense, and these players can execute any type of offense.  In fact Cristobal might have been more effective running a conventional offense.  

Lots of angst out there.

Well be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:45 AM, Warrenton said:

It's sounding like Kalani Sitake has accepted and is interviewing. He is a very real possibility and perhaps a probability now.

Brigham Young will not be able to match the salary Uncle Phil offers. It's a done deal if our side decides to hire him.

Don't worry about the Mormons either. I have a second home in Park City, UT and they're not really all that bad. I have plenty of friends.

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many LDS players Oregon has on the roster.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe he'd be a good fit. We need a defensive coach who can stop USC new offensive coach. That's how we will be able to compete against them. 

I believe he's Polynesian which would help in getting top lineman prospects.

He's young and charismatic so he can relate to the kids.

And he would be leaving his alma mater and dream school so we won't have to go through that again.

I still would prefer Araranda first for the same reasons above but if not I believe he's a great choice.

We were sold our last coach could recruit, coach and develop talent. This time we need somebody who can actually do all three. Talk is cheap, and I trust those looking at these guys to evaluate these three things, not just what is said.

This guy has a winning record, stole our best recruit from last year, and can develop talent while putting kids in places to succeed. While I have tremendous respect for the mormon religion there are few places harder to recruit than Provo. I would be happy if those paying the bills find Sitake qualified. 

Last time we listened to the kids in the back seat when making the decision. Much like on a vacation gone bad when the kids yell stop here, and you are tired and vulnerable. We not only stopped where the kids screamed to stop we bought the timeshare, hook line and sinker.

This time let's have the adults make the decision. We won't go through the timeshare sales pitch. We don't need another salesman selling us something that sounds amazing, but is really only lining his pocket. Let's have PK analyze the data, and see what is right for Oregon. The next Oregon coach is going to do well. Let's make sure we do too!

5wyk19.jpg

Amen HaywardDuck.

Amen......

If we want to reach and then continually be a CFP team, we need a quality coach. We'll rounded, experienced leader. Someone who knows that you have to out score the other team. Especially those games that the D couldn't stop a little guys team.

This requires RM and PK to make a quality decision. Take your time, get it right. 

• Thanks 1

Not a big fan of some of the comments I've seen on various threads directed at MC about departing.  Criticizing his coaching is legit, but the dude pulled an entirely classy move doing the Canzano interview when he absolutely didn't need to.  I can't blame someone for wanting to coach in his home state at his alma mater.  Also can't blame him for promoting his abilities - how many of us go into a job interview and say, "Yeah, I'm not real good at these important things"?  MC and Slick Willie both left Oregon for Florida, but the entire situation with the two of them is thousands of miles apart.

Now, what Miami did to Diaz, and not even giving our AD a courtesy call?  THAT is entirely classless.  I'm going to be torn from here on out - would like to see MC succeed in his next job because I truly believe he is a good guy, but would like to see "the U" go 0 - 12 for a few years after what they pulled.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 7:13 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

but would like to see "the U" go 0 - 12 for a few years after what they pulled.

To infinity and beyond ....

• Haha 1

BYU, and to a certain extent Utah, both benefit from the LDS mission exemption on eligibility.  Although the snippet pasted below is ten years old the fact that it often is men playing against boys remains.

"BYU Football Spokesman Brett Pyne stated that for privacy purposes BYU does not publish the date of birth of their student-athletes. According to the Salt Lake City-based Deseret News, an astounding 76 players on this year’s BYU roster have completed LDS missions abroad, which last a minimum of two years and sometimes longer.  Many of those players are redshirted for a year upon their return, thus by the time most of the BYU players enter their Junior or Senior seasons on the field, they are often 24-26 years old. To put this age differential into perspective, the 2011 season opener tells the tale. BYU visited Ole Miss on September 3rd, and came away with a 14-13 road victory. Ole Miss started 8 players that day that were 19 years old or younger. The five oldest players on the Ole Miss roster are 23 years old, and they are all seniors."

Sitake should fulfill the minority interview requirement though.

Edited by McDuck

Every football recruiting site has these kids birthdates, so it is really odd BYU doesn't publish the date.  It isn't like we don't know when they were born if we looked.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:53 PM, cartm25 said:

My primary hope for the Ducks’ new coach is that he has an obsession with recruiting, and is good at it

That describes Mario.

If he could get the players to stop the penalty-inflicting trash talking, that would be a good start.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 7:13 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Not a big fan of some of the comments I've seen on various threads directed at MC about departing.  Criticizing his coaching is legit, but the dude pulled an entirely classy move doing the Canzano interview when he absolutely didn't need to.  I can't blame someone for wanting to coach in his home state at his alma mater.  Also can't blame him for promoting his abilities - how many of us go into a job interview and say, "Yeah, I'm not real good at these important things"?  MC and Slick Willie both left Oregon for Florida, but the entire situation with the two of them is thousands of miles apart.

Now, what Miami did to Diaz, and not even giving our AD a courtesy call?  THAT is entirely classless.  I'm going to be torn from here on out - would like to see MC succeed in his next job because I truly believe he is a good guy, but would like to see "the U" go 0 - 12 for a few years after what they pulled.

I'm poking fun at us as fans and Mario. He said it and we bought it. I don't blame him for saying stuff, I do blame him for not following through. I also want us to be honest about the weakness we have shown for not fully evaluating candidates. I hope I don't offend anyone, but I would rather go too humor, then direct attacks on character.

I agree it is a fine line and hope I don't cross it. I just find it healthy to look for humor while thinking about the meaning. I know it was said asking Cristobal about his past statements about his desires for the offense was off limits at press conferences. I think it definitely isn't off limits now that we aren't holding our breath waiting for it to happen.

I also agree humor can be both therapeutic and dangerous. I hope mine is therapeutic, and we can all ponder what we had, and what we need going forward. My apologies, in advance, to anyone I may offend.

Let the rumors flow. Everyone who has ever coached football and is still alive will be rumored to be looking at the Ducks job.

Sitake isn't leaving BYU for more money. And why leave the 'new B12' that is a far better conference in both CFB and CBB than is the Pac-12.

Frankly, before Mullens hires a new coach I wish he'd call Bob Bowlsby and ask about joining the B12?

First, Haywarduck, my post wasn't specific to your comments - there have been various comments I've found unfortunate.  Nothing too bad (this isn't a normal board), but in some ways equating our last two coaches, etc.  I just don't happen to agree with them. 

Second, honestly, I didn't get that yours was meant to be humorous.  Just misinterpreted it, I guess.  The line "We don't need another salesman selling us something that sounds amazing, but is really only lining his pocket" I interpreted as a shot at MC as a slick salesman.  Maybe he oversold his coaching abilities, but every successful coach and athlete has supreme confidence in his/her abilities, and I wouldn't exactly expect the job interview to be along the lines of, "I'll get you the best recruits in the conference and still manage to lose multiple games to teams with inferior players."

Nothing you said was offensive nor even remotely close to crossing any line (none of the other posts have crossed any lines, either).  Even if one does, I don't get offended easily.  I just know (as someone else put it somewhere else on the board) when some recruit flips, there's inevitably a chorus of "Yeah, he wouldn't have cracked the starting lineup anyway" from a few folks.  If people want to say that about MC's coaching, those are (IMHO) legit comments.  I was one of the ones expressing concern about underperforming, close games against bad teams, etc.  I just don't think it's fair to infer anything similar about his character because of the decision he made.  

Sitake is used to coaching 22,23 and 24 yr olds -thats why BYU is always decent or better.

On 12/7/2021 at 4:41 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many LDS players Oregon has on the roster.

I'm not surprised that Oregon has a fair number of LDS players.

The likelihood of any team with Poly players, especially Pacific Islanders, having an infusion of LDS players, is strong, to say the least.

Oregon has embraced that fact and welcomed their skills into the flock for a long time.

I don't have a long list of names to go by, but it is no secret that some of Oregon's biggest contributor's have been members.

Haloti Ngata and Brandon Bair come to mind. Many on the current roster are also members. 

Under Mario Cristobal, Logan Sagapolou returned from his mission to become a Duck.

Others have chosen to forgo their mission, in pursuit of their football and/or college careers.

I get that our fans want the “perfect fit/coach” to come in and take the Ducks to the National Championship. However, unless the Oregon trust fund pays huge sums of money for a well known coach and staff, the Ducks will need to hire someone that has “potential”.

For all that Phil Knight has done for the University, I don’t take it for granted that he will foot that bill. Perhaps he will, but without his support our athletic budget is stretched pretty thin.

Wish all you want for the “perfect fit”, but remember that someone needs to pay the bills. Support the University and DAF if your budget allows. 

On 12/7/2021 at 8:25 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

First, Haywarduck, my post wasn't specific to your comments - there have been various comments I've found unfortunate.  Nothing too bad (this isn't a normal board), but in some ways equating our last two coaches, etc.  I just don't happen to agree with them. 

Second, honestly, I didn't get that yours was meant to be humorous.  Just misinterpreted it, I guess.  The line "We don't need another salesman selling us something that sounds amazing, but is really only lining his pocket" I interpreted as a shot at MC as a slick salesman.  Maybe he oversold his coaching abilities, but every successful coach and athlete has supreme confidence in his/her abilities, and I wouldn't exactly expect the job interview to be along the lines of, "I'll get you the best recruits in the conference and still manage to lose multiple games to teams with inferior players."

Nothing you said was offensive nor even remotely close to crossing any line (none of the other posts have crossed any lines, either).  Even if one does, I don't get offended easily.  I just know (as someone else put it somewhere else on the board) when some recruit flips, there's inevitably a chorus of "Yeah, he wouldn't have cracked the starting lineup anyway" from a few folks.  If people want to say that about MC's coaching, those are (IMHO) legit comments.  I was one of the ones expressing concern about underperforming, close games against bad teams, etc.  I just don't think it's fair to infer anything similar about his character because of the decision he made.  

My bet is he got the Oregon contract to line his pocket. He was gone way before the Utah game. Maybe he would, in hindsight, have left before the game, and never have even looked at the contract.

The reason PK pulled the contract, which I bet he did, was because he knew exactly what was going on, maybe Cristobal didn't, but I doubt it. PK wasn't going to have that contract used to only up the pay for Cristobal. PK gave him that contract out of respect, I don't think it was returned.

I will agree, it is time to move onward and forward with the Oregon Football Program. I will try to stay on the higher ground going forward, thanks for the discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Careful we might end up with another Utah. Not a horrible thing but an occasional rose bowl is not Oregon’s goal. I would be surprised if uncle Phil would go for that.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:43 AM, McDuck said:

BYU, and to a certain extent Utah, both benefit from the LDS mission exemption on eligibility.  Although the snippet pasted below is ten years old the fact that it often is men playing against boys remains.

"BYU Football Spokesman Brett Pyne stated that for privacy purposes BYU does not publish the date of birth of their student-athletes. According to the Salt Lake City-based Deseret News, an astounding 76 players on this year’s BYU roster have completed LDS missions abroad, which last a minimum of two years and sometimes longer.  Many of those players are redshirted for a year upon their return, thus by the time most of the BYU players enter their Junior or Senior seasons on the field, they are often 24-26 years old. To put this age differential into perspective, the 2011 season opener tells the tale. BYU visited Ole Miss on September 3rd, and came away with a 14-13 road victory. Ole Miss started 8 players that day that were 19 years old or younger. The five oldest players on the Ole Miss roster are 23 years old, and they are all seniors."

Sitake should fulfill the minority interview requirement though.

Would you explain your last comment, I don’t understand.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:21 AM, Pocketchange said:

Would you explain your last comment, I don’t understand.

2009 SESSION

House Bill 3118

Requires public institutions of higher education to interview qualified minority candidate when hiring head coach or athletic director unless institution was unable to identify qualified minority candidate willing to interview for position.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, McDuck said:

2009 SESSION

House Bill 3118

Requires public institutions of higher education to interview qualified minority candidate when hiring head coach or athletic director unless institution was unable to identify qualified minority candidate willing to interview for position.

look, I get the law.  I don’t get what you are trying to say by bringing it up.  Because it’s a pretty big insult to the coach, yeah you are the minority interview.   Looking at his record I highly doubt race had anything to do with it. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 11:57 AM, Pocketchange said:

look, I get the law.  I don’t get what you are trying to say by bringing it up.  Because it’s a pretty big insult to the coach, yeah you are the minority interview.   Looking at his record I highly doubt race had anything to do with it. 

Absolutely no offense intended to Sitaki nor do I think ethnicity played any part in asking him to interview.  I didn't think that was implied.  He is a quality coach located in the western US so of course Oregon sends out feelers.  Sorry if anyone took offense.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, McDuck said:

Absolutely no offense intended to Sitaki nor do I think ethnicity played any part in asking him to interview.  I didn't think that was implied.  He is a quality coach located in the western US so of course Oregon sends out feelers.  Sorry if anyone took offense.

No problem, that’s why I asked.  I just needed clarification, no offense taken

Edited by Pocketchange
Clarify

Heard Sitaki interviewed today as didn't go well, was unprepared and had no "plan".  According to JHop...no clue how he'd know, does he have a hidden microphone?  Seems like it's too early to get that info?