FishDuck Article

Bring Back Chip Kelly? No Thanks

There is no doubt that the Chip Kelly era at Oregon was a magical time. Kelly’s four-year tenure as Head Coach of the Oregon Ducks was the greatest run in Oregon football history. In those four years, the Ducks went 46-7 and played in three “BCS” bowl games and one national championship game. Oregon was the coolest, flashiest, and most confident ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Tonight I'm gunna party like it's 2009 !!! Hey there's LaGarrett Blount ! Then have a hangover like it's 2021.  Hiring Chip Kelly might be like Everclear Jello, green color looks really cool and tastes okay but probably wish you didn't by the time it's 2024.  Everyone wants to go back to 2009 but unless another MM LMJ Darron Thomas DeAnthony Thomas walk into Autzen Stadium how is that gunna happen, is Chip a better game coach and player development coach than Mario ? maybe , can Chip recruit high ceiling players better than Mario ?  He didn't really do that at UCLA, Hire Urban Meyer and be done with it .    

Edited by BradPelican82

I loved Chip. He was cutting edge in those yrs. I don't believe it can be replicated. This is proven by his time at UCLA.

Also he hates recruiting although now with the portal I believe that is mitigated somewhat.

There's an old saying that You can never go home anymore. I believe that applies here. What's done is over. Move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dated and X-girlfriend once. Oops! 

• Haha 2

yeah, if Ducks even consider Kelly Im off the train.  That just says we wanna take our football and go home where its safe

• Thumbs Up 1

Please No 

Need a leader, recruiter, a healer.

Hec, Chip couldn't even be bothered to drive a few hours in any direction from Westwood. To put 25-4&5 star recruits on the team.

How or why would you expect him to fly to Texas, Florida, Alabama?

Please no..........

• Thumbs Up 1

Might as well hire Brian Johnson, or maybe Angus

image.jpeg.824d5a294d3395757467a17a1b77ec74.jpeg

• Haha 1

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I'm not on board with any nascent "hire Chip" movement.  The "lightning in a bottle" comment in the article is spot on - he took the Dux to an amazing place when he was here, but time has marched on and I certainly haven't seen anything revolutionary (or even particularly different) at UCLA.  

At the same time, I'm not on board with Urban Meyer.  First, problems follow this guy wherever he goes.  Say what you want about previous head coaches, but RARELY were there serious off-field or in-classroom problems, nor recruiting problems, in previous regimes (yeah, like everyone we had occasional issues, but those are unavoidable with 150-or-so players and coaches).  Second, he's older, has a history of health problems, and is probably a 5 year coach.  I just don't see it.  I also tend to think Brady is another case of the "lightning in a bottle" situation with an unreal class with Burrow & Company at LSU - before or after '19, was he ever special in any way?

Not sure what to think about Sitake, Aranda, or any of the other candidates who've been thrown around in the media.  Just hoping they get the right fit.

• Thumbs Up 4

Lighting doesn't strike twice, people just want him for the nostalgia. Do not want, especially if they are still offering around $8 million, would rather try to steal Aranda from Baylor since that seems to be what everyone is doing nowadays.

Thanks Darren. Agree with you 100%. Chip best raid the portal this off season or UCLA is in big trouble come 2022. 

Give Mora props! After all he just landed the Husky job. That's the UCONN Huskies!

On 12/7/2021 at 10:03 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I'm not on board with any nascent "hire Chip" movement.  The "lightning in a bottle" comment in the article is spot on - he took the Dux to an amazing place when he was here, but time has marched on and I certainly haven't seen anything revolutionary (or even particularly different) at UCLA.  

At the same time, I'm not on board with Urban Meyer.  First, problems follow this guy wherever he goes.  Say what you want about previous head coaches, but RARELY were there serious off-field or in-classroom problems, nor recruiting problems, in previous regimes (yeah, like everyone we had occasional issues, but those are unavoidable with 150-or-so players and coaches).  Second, he's older, has a history of health problems, and is probably a 5 year coach.  I just don't see it.  I also tend to think Brady is another case of the "lightning in a bottle" situation with an unreal class with Burrow & Company at LSU - before or after '19, was he ever special in any way?

Not sure what to think about Sitake, Aranda, or any of the other candidates who've been thrown around in the media.  Just hoping they get the right fit.

The Jags stink. But Meyer is not getting an offer and if he did he would not leave the NFL for the recruiting battles in CFB. Sitake. He's already on the way to a P5 conference. One that as newly constituted has a team in the Final 4 and 3 other teams ranked including BYU. If the B12 had already re-modeled, that would be $18M for the B12. 

Bob Bowlsby is a bright guy. When the Pac-12 decided to do nothing on the expansion front, Bowlsby saved the B12 and added 4 quality programs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Couldn't agree more, and other comments here sum it up.  Can't recruit, won't recruit, everyone has caught up to the spread.  No advantage.  Can't believe all the CHIP stuff I'm seeing out there, must be nostalgia.  Nostalgia won't win.  7-5 to 5-7 to 4-8 is what we'd see.  No thanks

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/7/2021 at 7:03 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

At the same time, I'm not on board with Urban Meyer.  First, problems follow this guy wherever he goes. 

Kurt....it is GREAT to see you back posting again.  And THANKS for putting in the reading/paragraph spaces every three lines.  (GET THE HINT EVERYONE? If text is tightly bunched...people won't read your post.  They skip it)

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Kurt....it is GREAT to see you back posting again.  And THANKS for putting in the reading/paragraph spaces every three lines.  (GET THE HINT EVERYONE? If text is tightly bunched...people won't read your post.  They skip it)

Yeah, been trying to finish massive remodeling on a house and then moving in.  Still surrounded by boxes and dust, with a bunch of stuff not working properly (new washing machine, range hood, window shades, etc.).  It's been a little busy 'round here...

Chip is not the answer for HC. He is the answer for OC, though.

If I'm Oregon, I'd offer him the UCLA salary, full control of the offense, and let him negotiate his funding for position coaches. I would then offer a young DC the HC position who is fantastic at recruiting, is willing to learn and adapt (unlike MC), has championship experience, and has access to a great coaching tree. Pete Golding (Bama DC) and Dan Lanning (Georgia DC) come to mind.

OC's and DC's come and go, but if Oregon wants to consistently get to the CFP in 5 years, it needs to surround its young HC with assistants who are great at X's and O's and game management.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its not going to happen, but I'd take Chip in a heartbeat. He's a damn good coach - light years beyond Mario. And, heck, even when his teams lose, they're still fun to watch.  

Kind of a dick? Yes. Great coach? Undeniable.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 3:05 AM, BradPelican82 said:

Tonight I'm gunna party like it's 2009 !!! Hey there's LaGarrett Blount ! Then have a hangover like it's 2021.  Hiring Chip Kelly might be like Everclear Jello, green color looks really cool and tastes okay but probably wish you didn't by the time it's 2024.  Everyone wants to go back to 2009 but unless another MM LMJ Darron Thomas DeAnthony Thomas walk into Autzen Stadium how is that gunna happen, is Chip a better game coach and player development coach than Mario ? maybe , can Chip recruit high ceiling players better than Mario ?  He didn't really do that at UCLA, Hire Urban Meyer and be done with it .    

Yeah, any mediocre coach would have done better at UCLA than Chip has done. See Jim Mora. I just don't see him being successful. 

On 12/7/2021 at 5:10 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I loved Chip. He was cutting edge in those yrs. I don't believe it can be replicated. This is proven by his time at UCLA.

Also he hates recruiting although now with the portal I believe that is mitigated somewhat.

There's an old saying that You can never go home anymore. I believe that applies here. What's done is over. Move on.

Yeah, he just needs to be an OC. He doesn't have the desire to do what it takes to win big at a big time program. If he wants to be a successful head coach, he might want to go to a Group of 5 program. 

On 12/7/2021 at 5:45 AM, Log Haulin said:

I dated and X-girlfriend once. Oops! 

Haha, yup, it just doesn't work. 

On 12/7/2021 at 6:10 AM, Lrod said:

yeah, if Ducks even consider Kelly Im off the train.  That just says we wanna take our football and go home where its safe

Yeah, I don't even want to think of how I would feel if he came back. 

On 12/7/2021 at 6:34 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Please No 

Need a leader, recruiter, a healer.

Hec, Chip couldn't even be bothered to drive a few hours in any direction from Westwood. To put 25-4&5 star recruits on the team.

How or why would you expect him to fly to Texas, Florida, Alabama?

Please no..........

Yeah, I read up on some of his recruting tactics and it was like he was stuck in 2009, not up on the texting and social media. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 6:49 AM, 30Duck said:

Might as well hire Brian Johnson, or maybe Angus

image.jpeg.824d5a294d3395757467a17a1b77ec74.jpeg

Autzen would be rockin!

On 12/7/2021 at 7:03 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Yeah, no Urban, need some fresh blood who likes to recruit, and likes to have a competent offese. 

Would Chip even want to come back?

On 12/7/2021 at 7:04 AM, tendencyresearch said:

Lighting doesn't strike twice, people just want him for the nostalgia. Do not want, especially if they are still offering around $8 million, would rather try to steal Aranda from Baylor since that seems to be what everyone is doing nowadays.

Yup, better to steal a rising star then madly scoop water off a sinking ship. 

On 12/7/2021 at 8:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks Darren. Agree with you 100%. Chip best raid the portal this off season or UCLA is in big trouble come 2022. 

Give Mora props! After all he just landed the Husky job. That's the UCONN Huskies!

Yeah, and Chip won't do anything to improve his defense, such as firing his poor DC because he's on old friend. 

Wouldn't hiring CK be much like Miami hiring Cristobal? Miami wants the grand old days. Do we want to try and recreate something from the past?

The whole Miami hiring Cristobal, and the talk of rehiring CK reminds me of going to my 20th high school reunion. Nothing wrong with it, but there was one guy, same haircut, same cool car, hadn't changed one bit. He hadn't really evolved either, same stories, same life really.

I don't really want to change the program, but we need to keep evolving. We need to get back to being innovative, taking chances. Oregon is an exciting place to live and play. Oregon football speaks to that, let it do that again. Nike's motto was 'Just Do It' and that didn't mean just do it again!

• Like 1

Forget Chip. hire Jonathon Smith,    Even if he didnt win,  it would be so fun to  watch beavers reactions.

• Haha 2

On 12/7/2021 at 9:30 AM, Haywarduck said:

Wouldn't hiring CK be much like Miami hiring Cristobal?

I actually see Miami hiring Cristobal being similar to Nebraska's hiring of Frost and potentially Oregon hiring Wilcox. Hometown hero returning to his alma mater. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I was talking about Oregon's HC options with a friend and we both came to the conclusion that whomever Mullens chooses, most of us who are involved in this passionate love affair with our team will be unhappy with the choice. A coach's ability to succeed in a given place is all about his ability to utilize and maximize the resources, staff, and players at his disposal there. Also, just because a coach was successful at one place DOES NOT mean it translates to another place.

We see examples of this all over the nation every single season. Chris Peterson is amazing at Boise State, but can't really make it happen at Washington. Dan Mullen is successful at Mississippi State, but not so much at Florida. Willie Taggart was a winner until he wasn't at Florida State. Scott Frost is boy wonder at University of Central Florida, but can't make it happen at Nebraska; and the list goes on and on and on.

Chip Kelly is not my top choice, but he was the most successful coach Oregon ever had in the modern football era, and he is at least twice as good a coach as Cristobal. His biggest hole is his distaste for recruiting, yet he still manages to get the players he needs to make it happen. It's pretty easy to make recruiting a designated priority when you hire him and make sure he is surrounded by a staff who is good at it. With NIL and Phil Knight in your pocket, Cristobal has proven that Oregon can be a pretty juicy destination.

Also, don't tell me about how Kelly wouldn't have the personnel that he had when he coached here the last time because Cristobal probably had it sitting on the bench this season. One need look no further than Justin Herbert to realize that player development isn't Mario's strong suit. Barring a mass exodus, I'm convinced that we are in good shape in the quarterback, running back, and wide receiver departments. The cupboard is far from bare my friends. Chip Kelly and Ty Thompson seem like a match made in heaven.

That all said, Mullens gets who he gets and, sadly, we don't get a vote. The only candidate mentioned here that I would absolutely loath is Urban Meyer. He may be a great coach, but he is a horrible human who is neither trustworthy, loyal, nor honest. Never forget Willie Taggart. We don't need the likes of that to lead our team at Oregon.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 4

Great article, Darren. I will forever be grateful for the four-year ride Chip Kelly took us on from 2009-2012.

As a kid, having been to my first Oregon game in 1973 only to watch the UW trash us 58-0, like many fans, the wounds of year in and year out losing seasons seemed like they’d never end. In 1989, when we begged, borrowed, lobbied, and bought our way into the Independence Bowl and our first bowl game in over a quarter-century, and then completed an 8-4 season, we were riding high. Our expectations were very meager at the time.

Coach Brooks, who over 18 seasons had an overall Oregon losing record, in 1994-95 had hung in there and finally led us to a PAC12 Championship and a trip to the Rose Bowl for about the first time since dinosaurs roamed the Willamette Valley.

In 1995, enter Coach Bellotti – and arguably much more importantly, the major league Phil & Penny Knight money began to follow shortly after that. Bellotti coached us through some excellent seasons. The 2, 3, & 4 win season debacles seemed to be in our rearview mirror. The ROI on the Knight’s investment was paying off.

In 2009, the table could not have been set better for Chip Kelly to take over. However, what he did this opportunity was off the charts phenomenal. In the realm of football (grade school through the NFL), he effectively did “split the atom.” Quite often, it was nothing short of total jaw-dropping to watch. I told anyone who would listen to enjoy every minute of it because we might likely never see anything like this again. Chip was absolutely the right guy at the right time and place in college football history. I will be forever grateful for the ride he took us on.

And with all of this being said, Chip is absolutely, 100%, the wrong guy for Oregon today. I believe that Chip was built for a specific football place in time, greatness followed, and that time has now passed. Ten years later, in many ways, Chip is a college football dinosaur.

To further play on Darren’s excellent AC/DC music analogy, as Boston once said, “Don’t look back… a new day is breakin.”

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:44 AM, latracey said:

I was talking about Oregon's HC options with a friend and we both came to the conclusion that whomever Mullens chooses, most of us who are involved in this passionate love affair with our team will be unhappy with the choice. A coach's ability to succeed in a given place is all about his ability to utilize and maximize the resources, staff, and players at his disposal there. Also, just because a coach was successful at one place DOES NOT mean it translates to another place.

We see examples of this all over the nation every single season. Chris Peterson is amazing at Boise State, but can't really make it happen at Washington. Dan Mullen is successful at Mississippi State, but not so much at Florida. Willie Taggart was a winner until he wasn't at Florida State. Scott Frost is boy wonder at University of Central Florida, but can't make it happen at Nebraska; and the list goes on and on and on.

Chip Kelly is not my top choice, but he was the most successful coach Oregon ever had in the modern football era, and he is at least twice as good a coach as Cristobal. His biggest hole is his distaste for recruiting, yet he still manages to get the players he needs to make it happen. It's pretty easy to make recruiting a designated priority when you hire him and make sure he is surrounded by a staff who is good at it. With NIL and Phil Knight in your pocket, Cristobal has proven that Oregon can be a pretty juicy destination.

Also, don't tell me about how Kelly wouldn't have the personnel that he had when he coached here the last time because Cristobal probably had it sitting on the bench this season. One need look no further than Justin Herbert to realize that player development isn't Mario's strong suit. Barring a mass exodus, I'm convinced that we are in good shape in the quarterback, running back, and wide receiver departments. The cupboard is far from bare my friends. Chip Kelly and Ty Thompson seem like a match made in heaven.

That all said, Mullens gets who he gets and, sadly, we don't get a vote. The only candidate mentioned here that I would absolutely loath is Urban Meyer. He may be a great coach, but he is a horrible human who is neither trustworthy, loyal, nor honest. Never forget Willie Taggart. We don't need the likes of that to lead our team at Oregon.

I mentioned how Chip would be good for 2-3 years and the talent would begin to drop off.  We'd probably start consistenly looking like this year's UCLA team.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, Desert Duck said:

Great article, Darren. I will forever be grateful for the four-year ride Chip Kelly took us on from 2009-2012.

As a kid, having been to my first Oregon game in 1973 only to watch the UW trash us 58-0, like many fans, the wounds of year in and year out losing seasons seemed like they’d never end. In 1989, when we begged, borrowed, lobbied, and bought our way into the Independence Bowl and our first bowl game in over a quarter-century, and then completed an 8-4 season, we were riding high. Our expectations were very meager at the time.

Coach Brooks, who over 18 seasons had an overall Oregon losing record, in 1994-95 had hung in there and finally led us to a PAC12 Championship and a trip to the Rose Bowl for about the first time since dinosaurs roamed the Willamette Valley.

In 1995, enter Coach Bellotti – and arguably much more importantly, the major league Phil & Penny Knight money began to follow shortly after that. Bellotti coached us through some excellent seasons. The 2, 3, & 4 win season debacles seemed to be in our rearview mirror. The ROI on the Knight’s investment was paying off.

In 2009, the table could not have been set better for Chip Kelly to take over. However, what he did this opportunity was off the charts phenomenal. In the realm of football (grade school through the NFL), he effectively did “split the atom.” Quite often, it was nothing short of total jaw-dropping to watch. I told anyone who would listen to enjoy every minute of it because we might likely never see anything like this again. Chip was absolutely the right guy at the right time and place in college football history. I will be forever grateful for the ride he took us on.

And with all of this being said, Chip is absolutely, 100%, the wrong guy for Oregon today. I believe that Chip was built for a specific football place in time, greatness followed, and that time has now passed. Ten years later, in many ways, Chip is a college football dinosaur.

To further play on Darren’s excellent AC/DC music analogy, as Boston once said, “Don’t look back… a new day is breakin.”

You certainly have "more than a feeling" about Chip coming back, you have a firm belief it would be the wrong move!

• Haha 1

Lots of very smart people in the forum, but 

I have a different belief from most who have posted about Chip!

Look at the former players he brought in during his time as both OC and HC!

He understands what works and will make going to Autzen enjoyable again.

Mario seems like a great guy, but I didn't enjoy all of the sayings and hype that was followed up by what seemed like less discipline than I can ever remember by his players at the most critical time of games. 

I believe Coach Cristobal will end up really wishing he was still at Oregon even though Miami is his hometown! 

Chip will return us to the highest level of College Football! 

Go Ducks 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/7/2021 at 10:44 AM, latracey said:

Excellent comments. However, I respectfully disagree regarding your Chris Peterson assessment while he was HC at UW. If I look at the bigger picture, in the 10 years prior to his arrival at UW, their program had a horrific 57-76 / 43% winning record, and not a single BCS bowl (and who can forget those wonderful Husky seasons during this period of 1-10, 2-9, and 0-12... not that I'm bitter or anything 😉 ).

Under Peterson's tenure, from 2014-2019, they were 55-26 / 68% winning record, won 2 PAC12 Championships, and went to 2 BCS bowl games (albeit, losing both games).

To me it appears Peterson stopped the bleeding and, based upon where the Husky program had been the previous 10 years, was quite successful.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:44 PM, Darren Perkins said:

You certainly have "more than a feeling" about Chip coming back, you have a firm belief it would be the wrong move!

It's sometimes easy for us to get "blinded by the light."

Okay... I know that's just bad and I'll stop now. I definitely took that a bridge too far.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, Desert Duck said:

As a kid, having been to my first Oregon game in 1973 only to watch the UW trash us 58-0

Actually, and I was there too in '73, the Ducks beat the Huskies, 58-0; the next year, in Seattle, the Huskies won, 66-0, the first in a 6 game winning streak. They had quite a few of those.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:55 PM, 30Duck said:

Actually, and I was there too in '73, the Ducks beat the Huskies, 58-0; the next year, in Seattle, the Huskies won, 66-0, the first in a 6 game winning streak. They had quite a few of those.

Sheesh... I was just a bit outside on that one. I was off a year on my first game... I was at that 1974 66-0 loss. Unfortunately, I missed our 1973 58-0 win. That must have been wonderful.