1Funduck

Same Old, Same Old? Or is This Going to be Different?

I have been an Oregon Ducks fan for 21 years ever since a friend introduced me to Oregon-vs-Texas and the lead up to Joey Heisman in 2021. I had no interest

in football. Basketball and the Trailblazers were my sport of choice from the early days of the late 70's. Then the Jail Blazers happened. Truly a very sad time for me and my young children who I couldn't share special moments with. This was around 2000 and the timing couldn't be better for me to be 'looking'. Then this friend of mine drug me to a game at Autzen in 2001. In person I was able to feel the game through the crowd, see the whole 'Chess match' as it unfolded. I found myself getting riled up about a play and not even knowing what had happened. But, I could feel it, and I was hooked.

Those times were awash in long term Coaches and a continuous rise in a winning program. Bellotti and company were like your Grandpa. Full of wisdom and you couldn't help but love him. Respectful, insightful, knowledgeable, and thoughtful. This was my introduction to Oregon Football. 

But, the times they be a changing, and... I understand. Time is a wonderful ally and your worst enemy. Over time, we can learn so much. What constitutes a 15 yard penalty? I had no idea in 2001. Over time I learned. A winning season takes time, all 3 months of it. A winning program takes time, many years of it. But, we don't live in this environment anymore. It's the way of yesteryear. This brings me to my hard learned point as a middle aged man who is understanding the double edged sword of what 'Time' means. I have many years left, many Good years left. But, I'm keenly aware that the years in front of me are less than the years behind me. I believe that Phil Knight is looking through this same lense. 

This February, Uncle Phil will be 84! Surprised me too. Time is not on his side. Bringing in a HC that is a no name is not an option. The 10 year $85 million contract for Cristobol proved that money wasn't a factor. Winning is! USC brought in Lincoln Riley and LR became the highest paid coach even higher than Saban. What's even more shocking is that LR left Oklahoma! Thats a storied program and a destination job. USC still got him. More Glitz and more Green. The Sports world was shocked and shaken at its core. You think USC is going to be instantly a threat, a contender for PAC12 Championships within 2-3 years? Yeah, me too.

This brings me to Oregon's HC search. The Boosters have no more time for a rebuilding stint. Oregon may not be the top 5 destination, but they are top 10 with an incredible bank account to rival the top 5. Oregon isn't in the business to be mediocre anymore. Time isn't on it's side and, it's about time we swing for the fences and bring in a Sports World shocking HC. The Boosters are willing to pay. 

Who? What do I know? I'm sure the debate will rage H-O-T. But, it needs to be a shocker. Urban Meyer is in the middle of losing this season in Epic fashion. Its ugly down there. Yet, his name at Oregon would create shock waves, not just in the PAC, but in the whole College football world. The PAC would have raised eyebrows from every conference. Urban Meyer and Lincoln Riley. North heavy weight against Southern heavy weight. And the team benefit to Oregon? The recruits would beat down UM's door.

We should know relatively soon who our next HC will be. It's just a matter of time.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, Urban would be someone I am very interested in. Like you said, it would be the talk of CFB and I couldn't care less about any drama he may cause as long as he is winning games which he has shown he can. He is a great recruiter and a better coach than Cristobal, and someone who would vault the Ducks into the CFP conversation next year. Give him the war chest and watch the Ducks fly.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:24 AM, tendencyresearch said:

I couldn't care less about any drama he may cause as long as he is winning games

Not a good look.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, I want to win, but not at all costs.  I'm not an alumnus, but a fan since the mid-70s, and I'd prefer to be proud of the team I'm cheering for.

• Thumbs Up 3

Urban Meyer? No thanks. Ten times no thanks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When hasn't there been drama at Oregon? MC seemed to have it under control until the air gun fiasco. His coaching was mediocre at best.

Taggert left with drama. So much for "Do something". Helfich lost control of team and brought the Ducks their 1st losing season years.

Chip had several players who got into trouble and he turned off some fans with his snarky attitude. But he got the wins. Then there was the

Luke Bellotti/Colleen Bellotti situation. Not Mike's fault but it's on his watch as they say. Thing is there's always been drama at Oregon in one

form or another. With that being said if Meyer did come to Oregon that would be a shocker. On the other hand it would seem like a demotion

like JM leaving for Akron. I just don't see it happening. Plus the NFL is still in full swing and unless he's fired today I highly doubt he'd drop

everything and run to Oregon. No coach is perfect so why not get one thats a proven winner? It doesn't have to be Mr Perfect as it's been

shown that Mr Perfect doesn't always stay Mr Perfect. 

If you can get a proven winner without the drama,  then why settle for anything less?

Here's Mullen's perspective

FunDuck, great writing, just not sure the outcome you call for wouldn't lead us to the same jail blazer scenario which soured you on the mighty Trailblazers. I will agree we need to be bold, aggressive and intelligent on this decision. I think the power brokers are going to make sure we do so this time.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:00 AM, DimpleDucks said:

Urban Meyer? No thanks. Ten times no thanks. 

Amen.  Ten-times amen!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

When Wallace threw the towel in the face of Sabonis during the playoffs on national TV, I was done. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 7:14 AM, 1Funduck said:

I have been an Oregon Ducks fan for 21 years

1Funduck....great to see you post for the first time since March, and while I do not agree with your sentiments about which coach to pursue....I want to see all opinions on the topic and why people feel that way.  Glad to have you back!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I thought Urban Meyer recently said he was no longer interested in coaching at the college level?

After the words, "Urban Meyer," you lost me.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:35 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I thought Urban Meyer recently said he was no longer interested in coaching at the college level?

He did. he has all the $ he ever needs and he is coaching where he doesn't have to recruit.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

He did. he has all the $ he ever needs and he is coaching where he doesn't have to recruit.

And he's in trouble there, on the field, coaching hires, bringing in Tebow, and off the field. He should have stayed with the Fox Pregame Show. 

Anyone who says that they don’t care about the turmoil that always surrounds Urban Meyer, hasn’t been through that kind of turmoil.  We had the angst of deciding what to do about Helfrich, the betrayal of Willie Taggart, and now the pain of losing Mario, but those episodes, while not fun, didn’t reflect poorly of the UO as a whole.  Meyer has brought shame a number of times to his schools. 31 players at Florida were arrested in six years on charges ranging from DOL to stalking, assault, etc.  Read the Sporting News expose 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/2178871-urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc

Than there’s the Ohio St situation where he knew about spousal abuse by one of his assistants and brushed it under the rug.    The OSU board of trustees investigated and determined that Meyer “did not uphold the values of the university” and suspended him.  

Yes, we all want victories but character and reputation still count. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/7/2021 at 11:20 AM, Lucca0923 said:

Yes, we all want victories but character and reputation still count. 

Now that, Lucca, is a fantastic first post.  Please keep sharing your thoughts and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck