30Duck

What did Mario Leave at Oregon?

I will remember this 'era' as: Taggert, Part Two. All word salad with a dash of flash and a lot of wasted talent.

After Helfrich face-planted as HC and then the Taggart fiasco, I'll remember him as a great recruiter who brought stability back to the program.  In no way would I equate him with Taggart.  But the Mt. Rushmore of Oregon coaches is still Casanova, Brooks, Bellotti, and Kelly - Cristobal isn't even close to that level.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Okay, just read the actual article after posting - the author has the same top 4.  At least I didn't forget anyone important...

• Like 1

Pretty good list, just behind Helfrich is a good spot. He did some good things, and the program was pretty clean during his time. He said all the right things, and for the most part tried to follow through on those statements. 

There was definitely some smoke coming from some of the criticism of Cristobal as a coach. I hope Miami is an even better fit for his vision of what football should be. 

I'll remember him as having a more exciting recruiting season than game season.  I really liked Cristobal as a person but my liver will be thanking him for going to Miami come fall of 2022.

• Haha 2

He restored our program and for that he deserves high credit. He will be remembered as he should be.

He was torn about this decision. Anybody with any sense could see that. That's why it took as long as it did. 

I know people are hurting or wanted him to go. I don't believe he did anything wrong. He is still a man of integrity.

He made his decison to go home. You can agree on disagree. We all have our opinions. I for one still respect the man and wish him nothing but the best.  Now it's time to move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I took him as taking time in order to get as much money out of either side as he could.

• Thumbs Up 1

MC left behind a solid defense and run game, particularly interior linemen.

That's good enough for any competent coach taking over.

I look at it as a time of stabilization after things went downhill. I do think there was an aspect of not quite getting all the pieces to fit together properly - but I can't say for certain that this is all on one person. Just like you can have a group of superstars on the field who still are a crummy team (see USC, see Oregon at times this year), I think you can have a great set of staff members who somehow don't make an effective staff '"team."

My hope is that MC leaves us with a platform to build from that is higher than our previous platform. In any case, I think he, by and large, seems to be a man of integrity, and I'm thankful that he was here at a time when that is something that the program needed. Now that the ship is righted, lets sail!

• Thumbs Up 1

What we thought was a caring man and a good recruiter, never did think he could coach, that turned out to be a quitter and a liar. With a load of bullshit that he fed recruits parents to get them to come play for his horse crap coaching.