Duckman

Loss in Vegas a Fitting End to the Cristobal Era

I like symmetry.

Mario started his tenure as HC getting outclassed by a less-talented opponent in the 2017 Vegas Bowl.

He ends his tenure as HC getting blown out by a less-talented opponent in the inaugural, Vegas-hosted Pac-12 championship game.

In both games, the Ducks looked disorganized, unprepared and not properly motivated.

In between, we experienced a lot of highs and lows.  Win against Ohio State at the Horseshoe, Rose Bowl victory, 3-0 against UW.  We also lost to a terrible Stanford team this season, got blown out by Utah twice in 2021 and once in 2018, and lost the 2020 Civil War against a less-talented Oregon State team.

I view Cristobal's departure very differently and in a more favorable light than that of Taggart. Mario stayed for four seasons, had memorable achievements as Ducks HC, and re-stabilized the program after previous leadership failures. 

Back to symmetry.  I will not root against Cristobal in Miami.  However, I will snicker if he has to call a timeout before the first offensive play from scrimmage against Southern Miss.

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:04 AM, Duckman said:

We also lost to a terrible Stanford team this season

The big bounce loss against Stanford was also to a Stanford team that shouldn't have even been in the game. I agree with you about Cristobal > Taggart. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't cheer for Mario's failure. His offense, and management style didn't fit what I wanted for Oregon. If it works out well in Miami then good for him, and the hurricanes. I will give it a double take if he becomes an offensive wizard. I hope he evolves, much like I hoped he would at Oregon. 

• Like 1

Mario isn’t the Vegas type.

No risk, no reward.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

I will give it a double take if he becomes an offensive wizard. I hope he evolves, much like I hoped he would at Oregon. 

This is very similar to my thoughts.  As a college football fan, I will be curious if there are any obvious changes to Cristobal's coaching style at Miami relative to Oregon.  However, right now, I expect more of the same.  Inconsistent efforts leading to big wins and head scratching losses. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:24 AM, Duck1984 said:

Mario isn’t the Vegas type.

No risk, no reward.

This sums it up very well.

• Thumbs Up 1