Charles Fischer

Oddsmakers: "Oregon is Destined for an Underwhelming Hire"

On 12/7/2021 at 10:14 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Chip Kelly the Favorite to be next Oregon Head Coach?

Could we be headed towards a reunion in Eugene? Oddsmakers believe that Oregon is headed for a reunion of some kind. Whether it ends up being a former head coach or a former player.  
The former Oregon head coach is given +175 odds, or an implied 36.4% chance to land the job. Not far behind him is Justin Wilcox. The former Oregon defensive back and current Cal head coach is given +200 odds, or an implied 33.3% chance to land the job.  

While the two former Ducks are the favorites. There are some other strong candidates. Recently fired Panthers Offensive Coordinator Joe Brady is given +400 odds, or an implied 20% chance to land his first head coaching gig. Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin is given +500 odds, or an implied 16.7% chance. Arguably the biggest name in college football on the list is Kalani Sitake. The BYU head coach is given +600 odds, or an implied 14.3% chance to leave his alma mater for a chance to lead Oregon. 

Noticeably absent from the odds is Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer. Meyer has been among the top-5 to land every other major college head coach opening, but he’s not even listed as a possibility for Oregon.  

Quote from OddsChecker spokesman Kyle Newman, “This list is an uninspiring one for Oregon. Chip Kelly was once one of college football’s best coaches. Since returning to the college scene though he’s struggled. Kelly is 18-25 with UCLA, posting his first winning season in 2021. Justin Wilcox is 26-28 and 15-25 in conference with Cal. He’s never had a winning conference record. Joe Brady has never been a head coach and was just fired for having one of the worst offenses in the NFL for a second year in a row.

Harsin finished his first year at one of the SEC’s premier colleges with a 6-6 record, their first time at .500 or worse since 2015 and only the 4th time since 2000. Kalani Sitake would be an excellent hire, but he’s coaching his alma mater who’s moving to the BIG 12 making it unlikely he’d leave. It truly seems that Oregon is destined for an underwhelming hire if the odds are to be believed.” 

Coach Odds.jpg

BYUtv Sports on Twitter: "Free tickets for Tuesday night's broadcast of "BYU  Football with Kalani Sitake" are available now. Click here  https://t.co/h0Yne0Cy5Y to get yours.… https://t.co/zQIROf2KZH"

Why isn't Lame Kittens on this list?

Just saying that leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I honestly believe the last 2 departures happened only due to the 2 specific job offerings. After all, Mario is taking a 'pay cut' to coach at his alma mater.

I think you nailed it. MC stays of any other school comes knocking. Aside from Bama.

On 12/7/2021 at 3:37 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Norm Van Brocklin.

And because it's fun let's take a look at the Quarterbacks from Oregon who have been enshrined the NFL Hall of Fame

image.jpeg.cae8068df406255884a0473d90047b46.jpeg                                                               image.jpeg.eb939b3de104fa29710858eb2ea518de.jpeg                                

and Heisman Trophy winner

image.jpeg.f339f7a0b879e40b8229970c9821fb98.jpeg     

And for either, from Washington?

image.jpeg.e3ae1cafb80dc0dc6141777f5b05b280.jpeg

On 12/7/2021 at 3:54 PM, UtahDuck said:

Part of the issue with the hire for oregon, is it has been a blindside late hire. USC started early and has been looking for sometime. Oregon is stuck with the leftovers. It may be possible to get a pull somewhere but time will always help with the hiring process. and as you pointed out oregon needs to hire before the end of the year. The remaining staff may be able to convince players to hold on but we will need a good coach to finish in february.

Well said on the blindside timing. It would take time to groom a Riley type hire.  Though it appears UO knew the Miami thing was a thing “a few weeks ago”,  RM should have already been working it and not just putting all his eggs on MC signing a new extension.

And given Dec 15 early signing period, year end is too late.

After much consideration, I vote for Aranda.

Successful and west coast guy, love the Defensive chops.  Buy him a big time OC.  Despite departures, the talent on the roster can still win Pac12 presuming QB emerges.  If they do quickly, the recruits would come back to near the levels we have had under MC.

Why not have every applicant submit a 10-minute video stating what they are as a football coach and what they think they can bring to the Oregon program. Then LET THE FANS VOTE. Ha!

On 12/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, Desert Duck said:

Agreed. Plus Oregon resides in the P5 cellar known at the PAC12.

The expanded playoff is going to happen.  There is simply too much money at stake for it not to.

If the model is all P5 conference champs get auto bids (and we all know why Sankey of the SEC wants no part of that), the headwinds the P12 faces (and they are strong indeed) should be lessened quite a bit.

Donuts to dollars that is why Riley went to USC (that and the $$$ of course).  He feels he can perennially vie for if not own the P12 title and when that leads to automatic bid, a ton of the recruiting liabilities go away.

Oregon is in a position to take advantage of that same life line.

I see real upside for the P12 in a model that isn't really all that far away.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:10 PM, AllOregon said:

Most of the names on the USC list are National “WOW” names.  Not on the Oregon list.  This shows the type of job and coach candidate attracted that the realists feel each team is due.

To be fair, USC had three things Oregon doesn't.  1. a premier recruiting area in SoCal.  2. a blue-blood name (may not be important to 18-year-old kids, but still carries weight with 40-70-year-old coaches).

Third, and most important in this case, is that they had a huge lead time to discuss, strategize about, contact, vet, and hire a coach, because they dumped Helton relatively early in the season.  We're probably trying to hire a coach in a few days in order to try to salvage as much of this class as we can, and even if that's not top-of-mind for the administration, a bunch of big names (Venables, Riley, Kelly, etc.) are already locked down.  It's like coming late to the dance and finding all the pretty girls are already paired off with someone.  

• Thumbs Up 2

There is something systemically wrong with the traditional “blue bloods” (jeeebus, the irony of that phrase).  Few coaches can fix that.

UCLA 30 year highpoint was eeaking out wins against Bellotti’s Ducks.

USC outside  Pete Carols run has been mediocre.   That says more about him than USC, talk about lighting in a bottle.

Nebraska, UW, Miami, Florida, FSU, etc.....Unless you’re older than dirt...like me, they aren’t even has beens.

This is why it’s a mistake to disparage Chip, and assume Oregon can/should/does operate like the “Blue Bloods”.    

On 12/7/2021 at 12:17 PM, 30Duck said:

Exactly. But instead of that Oregon thought they could keep the momentum going with Helfrich. 

I've often wondered how things would have gone if Oregon had hired Aliotti to follow Chip as HC.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 7:57 AM, Annie said:

I've often wondered how things would have gone if Oregon had hired Aliotti to follow Chip as HC.

That's a good thought. Unfortunately, I don't think one that ever crossed Oregon's mind. They, were enamored with the Ducks' offense, and saw Helfrich as the best option to keep it going.

TV and movie producers always favor keeping the hit going rather than tweaking it and moving in a different direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, 30Duck said:

And because it's fun let's take a look at the Quarterbacks from Oregon who have been enshrined the NFL Hall of Fame

image.jpeg.cae8068df406255884a0473d90047b46.jpeg                                                               image.jpeg.eb939b3de104fa29710858eb2ea518de.jpeg                                

and Heisman Trophy winner

image.jpeg.f339f7a0b879e40b8229970c9821fb98.jpeg     

And for either, from Washington?

image.jpeg.e3ae1cafb80dc0dc6141777f5b05b280.jpeg

Sweet! I think Warren Moon is in the NFL Hall of Fame?

On 12/9/2021 at 8:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

think Warren Moon is in the NFL Hall of Fame?

Darn, you're right.  So Oregon only has twice as many HOF QB's!

image.jpeg.613898c593d30973aa5bef68af7d6ffe.jpeg

• Haha 1

I do not understand this list or where they got this list from.  I am not sure why they would even consider the coaches on this list as the top choices.  There are better choices out there.  In my opinion this will not go well for the future of the Oregon program with these choices.

Click bait?