nw777b

Was Mario Ever a Duck?

I found watching and listening to Mario's meeting in Miami very tough.  His speech starts at about the 8 minute mark.

I'm happy for him and his loved ones, but I wonder if his heart was sold out 100% to the U...of Oregon.

Yes, MC was a duck and I am glad he was here.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always wondered that myself. I dont think he had an understanding of the TYPE of football we all love.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think he was, cfb coaching changes rarely go smoothly cause there's so much media and people are so emotionally invested in their schools.  Mario looked like death warmed over at the Alamo Bowl Zoom call and he certainly didn't have to do that interview with Canzono but he did.  I appreciate what he did for Oregon and wish him well at Miami... now lets go get some offense.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

I think what gets lost is that HC's are 'working' at their job. Its a job. Its not loyalty. None of us are loyal over our family and our dreams. If we have great work ethic then you give your all where ever you are. I would give MC the benefit of the doubt and say he was loyal to the program. But, he's loyal to his dreams and his family first. Thats a solid character guy. Would any of us do any different?

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

He knew how to work the crowd, when Slick left.  You say enough, do enough to make yourself seem legit.  Something wrong with his abilities to lead or control, give it some years at the U.  Better to have left us now, than left us paying his buyout and losing more years going to the Alamo Bowl with all this Talent, Coaches and New Facilities.

We are nearing Disneyland proportions with all that is being invested at U of O and the Duck.  In negotiations with Daisy Duck, right now, if you believe this. . . .Mt St Helens roller coaster, it will blow your mind.  The Oregon Trail Town.  Escape from Antifa Thugs World.  Mask the Covid Movie.  Portland Bridges to Nowhere ride.  Lots of plans for new and interesting rides, I think.  Lane Kiffin, are you for real, pass that bottle.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, 1Funduck said:

I think what gets lost is that HC's are 'working' at their job. Its a job. Its not loyalty. None of us are loyal over our family and our dreams. If we have great work ethic then you give your all where ever you are. I would give MC the benefit of the doubt and say he was loyal to the program. But, he's loyal to his dreams and his family first. Thats a solid character guy. Would any of us do any different?

I think he was loyal to who he was, and we bought that. I don't think it serves a great purpose to try and destroy that. He gave us a good ride, enough said.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yes, he was all Duck until he wasn't.  And that is all we should ask of someone from his background.  

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:12 PM, DuckHeart said:

Yes, he was all Duck until he wasn't.  And that is all we should ask of someone from his background.  

Agree 1000%

• Thumbs Up 2

I do know I am ready for somebody to take his Duck role. We can then move on from his being a Duck, maybe even sooner please!

It would also be nice to see another Len Casanova, Brooks, or Bellotti, but those are hard to find, and we have been lucky! I mean what retired coach would volunteer to take over a program like Bellotti, amazing, that is loyalty. He was never a Duck, but will always be a Duck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The only candidate on the table who is as dyed in the wool yellow and green as most of us are is Justin Wilcox. He was raised here, grew up hearing Duck football inside stories from his dad and his grandpa, idolized Duck players and had their posters on his bedroom walls, dreamed about being a Duck and playing in Autzen, and followed in his father's and brother's footsteps and played some great Duck football as a defensive back at Autzen. If you want a Duck, Justin Wilcox is an honest to goodness Duck through and through.

Like Helfrich, Wilcox would treat being the head football coach at the University of Oregon with a kind of reverence that comes from being born and raised in Oregon. The job would be a destination, and not merely a stepping stone on the road to bigger and better.

Anyone else you hire is here to earn great money doing a job at a world class facility with world class resources. They will be loyal to the University of Oregon in the sense that a good and honorable employee is loyal to their good and honorable employer. You can't ask for, and shouldn't expect anything more than that.

In that sense, it should surprise no one that Cristobal decided to go home. His true home and his heart are in Miami. He did a good job at the University of Oregon, but it was a job. Miami means more to him than just being a job; and you can see and feel that while listening to his acceptance speech to be head football coach at the University of Miami.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 3

Can’t believe why people are kissing MCs butt as he walks out on his players, his fans, his players parents who he told to not worry I will be like a parent while they are here, and a university that gave him a job that he didn’t really deserve.

I was raised to tell the truth at all times, to respect others opinions, to never quit on a task till it is accomplished, and try to have some integrity. I give MC a D- on those attributes. He lied to those players families, he quit on his team. I for one will never give him a pass.

Can’t wait till we get a new coach and move on from the Mc bulls**t.

• Thumbs Up 5

I suspect it took just one episode of boos from the crowd to smack his ego - and for him to deflect those boos onto the team - to start packing his bags. Was he expecting a free ride?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 4:11 PM, Just Ducky said:

Can’t believe why people are kissing MCs butt . . .

I suspect it took just one episode of boos from the crowd to smack his ego - and for him to deflect those boos onto the team - to start packing his bags. Was he expecting a free ride?

When Mario left, that old childhood TV series closing line popped again into my head: "Who was that masked man?".

Edited by toketeeman
  • Haha 2

• Like 2

Some here are pretty tore up about MC leaving and are taking it personal. MC didn't lie. He said he had nothing to say until there was. You can take that any way you want. I personally take it that the ink wasn't dry so therefore it wasn't written in stone. Why in the world would you tell your boss you are looking at his competitor to go work for them? Not one person here would take that advantage away from the opportunity for your preferred job. It would be treasonous to your family.

But, I understand the Hurt from us Duck fans. We feel this is a destination school. We want continuous continuity with coaching. Stay forever for Saban like Championships that decorate the MOE. Its business...plain and simple. And we are happy that Uncle Phil has the cash to hire the winning combo.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/7/2021 at 4:43 PM, 30Duck said:

Couldn't help notice his son not wearing 13. 😉

I still believe Mario is classy and tried his best to close this out well. 

Regardless of Miami's win loss record, the Cristobal's will be fine.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think he was always going to be a Duck until the U came calling.

Had Diaz beat FSU in their last game, they might not have been looking as that would have been 6 in a row.

FSU giveth (took Willie) and taketh (Mario).

• Thumbs Up 1

As time has past I think asking the question was Mario ever a Duck is interesting to contemplate without the passion I had so close to the end!

Was Mario ever what we wanted? I don't think so. Was Oregon what Mario wanted I don't think so. We both made the other into what we wanted, and it was a compromise.

Over time that compromise fell apart when Mario saw, realized what he really wanted. That compromise was also falling apart as many fans  realized he wasn't what he sold us. The power scoring machine wasn't in his DNA. This was also something he didn't want, the flash, trickery.

I think we made the best of a compromise, on both sides. It is too bad it fell apart as it did.

It is also important to realize the next coach will be a compromise. There will be misunderstandings, and there will be an end. I hope the journey is better and the end goes better too, but there is no counting on that.

I just hope Oregon holds tight on what is important. I know there is a great push to do whatever it takes to win it all. Longterm that may be a mistake, and in the end being true what is important to Oregon is what is critical.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I admire and respect the Duck’s football program and find most of the posts about MC to be measured . I understand the disappointment in losing winning football coaches - he has happened to our Cane program numerous times. If fact Mario left our program to work with Saban at Alabama but most understood he was perfecting his craft. Mario returned to Miami first and foremost for family reasons but as another poster quoted the great Bear Bryant “when momma calls……you come running”. And Mario has two momma’s in Miami. 

Edited by Captaincane
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 3

No he wasn't in my opinion. I mean it's semantics as he was our coach and a fairly good one at that. He is a good man, but he does not bleed green and yellow the way so many of us have since we were children. 40 years for me.

Much like Taggart, Mario will live to regret his decision. He will last about 5 seasons and be canned after playing roughly .500 ball. I believe Miami will be a much more difficult place to win games and even retain high caliber recruits and those realizations will set in the same way they did for slick at FSU. 

Karma always has the last laugh I suppose. Oregon made Cristobal who he is, without us there is no big contract to go back to his alma mater. 

never.

He saw the opportunity Oregon offered and did whatever it took to 1) get the job and 2) parlay that into his dream job. Not a knock. that's what a family man and father sometimes has to do. You go to work and grind out a living until opportunity knocks. He was a good coach and tireless worker but he never was planning to stay IMO. I have the feeeling that once all the details of his departure are out it won't be any better than how Willie did the UO. 

Would Mario be cheered at Autzen if he ever returned like Brooks, Belotti, and even Chip? Doubt it. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, 1Funduck said:

Some here are pretty tore up about MC leaving and are taking it personal. MC didn't lie. He said he had nothing to say until there was. You can take that any way you want. I personally take it that the ink wasn't dry so therefore it wasn't written in stone. Why in the world would you tell your boss you are looking at his competitor to go work for them? Not one person here would take that advantage away from the opportunity for your preferred job. It would be treasonous to your family.

But, I understand the Hurt from us Duck fans. We feel this is a destination school. We want continuous continuity with coaching. Stay forever for Saban like Championships that decorate the MOE. Its business...plain and simple. And we are happy that Uncle Phil has the cash to hire the winning combo.

He lied to all the parents of the players about being there for their children.

• Thumbs Up 1

MC was never a true Duck. In fact, if you pressed him, MC would likely tell you that he tought Roboduck was a good idea.

Roboduck showed Oregon it may have tried too hard to reinvent itself | RSN

• Haha 3

On 12/7/2021 at 7:59 PM, Just Ducky said:

He lied to all the parents of the players about being there for their children.

No he didn’t…..unless you want to say that about any coach who ever left for another job.

He had a great opportunity and he seized it.

let’s move on and find a coach who can develop all the great talent the Ducks have on their roster.

• Thumbs Up 2

Go look at his Twitter page as of 3:45pm this afternoon, Dec 7th.

That isn’t business as usual, let the man go home.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:15 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Agree 1000%

Ditto

• Thumbs Up 1

I was disappointed when Mario accepted the Miami job, but things have changed in life and the loyalty aspect is a thing of the past...it's a just a job.  I appreciate Mario's character and that's what makes him a great recruiter, it's impossible to teach it, if you don't possess it yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Replace MC with an Offensive Genius:   Bill O'Brien as Head Coach, perfect fit.  Offensive Genius, NFL coaching background and look what his Alabama offense did to Georgia!  Coached Tom Brady, a developer of great QB's. Absolute perfect fit!  2nd Choice: Luke Fickell 3rd Choice:  Kiffin

• Thumbs Up 1

Kicking and screaming unless the contract offer is pulled when he was trying to play the two schools off of each other.  

So much speculation and info flying around these past days. Might somebody clarify if Oregon's contract offer was pulled before Cristobal flew away after the last game?  The reason i am asking is unlike most ardent college football fans I do not have much faith in coaches being anything but greasy used car salesmen wanting the most money.  So is it feasible that Cristobal took so long because he was trying to push Oregon's price above Miami's and if(this is what I am unclear about) Oregon had offered more money then Cristobal would have just chosen Oregon and used the narrative that he needed to start what he finished. 

When the contract was (I presume) pulled then he could just use the narrative of returning home.  So basically I think he would have stayed in Oregon if the money was greater but was surprised when Knight pulled the contract and used Miami as a fallback.  I also believe that even if his mom is ill he used that as cover to go speak to Miami boosters in person.  But I am cynical and I don't get on my metaphorical knees when it comes to the BIZARRE need to give adulation to college football coaches. 

In any case I am thankful we avoided paying this guy huge money to deliver limp results most of the time and I am okay with the prospect of playing smart offense instead of smug tough guy offense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont know that we are unhappy that he left but it was the way he left is the big problem... at least for me it is. If you are a person of integrity than say what you mean, mean what you say.  Remember, truth may hurt at the moment but it will set you free.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 2:43 AM, Utki said:

Might somebody clarify if Oregon's contract offer was pulled before Cristobal flew away after the last game?

I'm ready to move on but this is an intriguing subplot.  Was the ultimate choice between returning to Oregon under his previous contract and a big raise from Miami?  I wonder because my understanding is that the new contract was offered before the P12 championship loss against Utah, but Cristobal did not sign it right away.  Could it be that Mullens (and others) reconsidered after the poor showing in Vegas and the not-so-secret dalliance with Miami?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 2:43 AM, Utki said:

Might somebody clarify if Oregon's contract offer was pulled before Cristobal flew away after the last game? 

Yes, it was reported on this site by yours truly right here.

And Utki?  GREAT to see you back and posting!  WELCOME.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

As the weather in Oregon approaches it's worst of the year Miami enters it's best. I would hate to be there in the summer.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, Duckman said:

I'm ready to move on but this is an intriguing subplot.  Was the ultimate choice between returning to Oregon under his previous contract and a big raise from Miami?  I wonder because my understanding is that the new contract was offered before the P12 championship loss against Utah, but Cristobal did not sign it right away.  Could it be that Mullens (and others) reconsidered after the poor showing in Vegas and the not-so-secret dalliance with Miami?

My cynical mind was he thought Oregon would await with baited breath his decision and hope he chose Oregon over Miami. And when Oregon took back the contract he kind of put himself in a bind and had to choose Miami instead of getting an even fatter raise at Oregon as he had hoped. But he was in a no lose situation I guess.  I just find his "integrity" and "good man" schtick a bit much and he would have gone to the highest bidder.  But then I might have also.

Guest KingT

I don't blame Mario for leaving. I do blame Mario and the Coaching staff for not being committed for the entire season. It showed in the last month that Coaches were all working on their next jobs, especially in the last two weeks. What also showed is that Mario was never going to take risks with Ty, Butters or other guys that wouldn't assure him a 9-10 win season. You don't get $8M for winning 8 games.

The decision to stick with Brown, in light of heavy and often warranted criticism now appears clear -- Brown gave him the most certain chance to win now, as opposed to take some risks with on field 5* Freshman. I believe Mario knew this was his exit year and it may have been back channel in-motion w/high influence boosters since last Summer. It's all good, that's life in CF, but just sayin, the last few weeks were a real disappointment for us fans and those players because those Coaches were apparently one foot out the door.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:12 AM, KingT said:

I believe Mario knew this was his exit year and it may have been back channel in-motion w/high influence boosters since last Summer. It's all good, that's life in CF, but just sayin, the last few weeks were a real disappointment for us fans and those players because those Coaches were apparently one foot out the door.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is that Ruiz, Mario's shirttail relative who is supposedly trying to steamroll a new stadium into Coral Gables??

Oregon was a stepping stone to MC.-No biggie