rden

Excuse Me While I Laugh ...

I have 2 favorite college FB teams. Guess which two? 

I remember tackling Earthquake Enyart at our game in Corvallis as a UO freshman in 1965, my only year playing.

In 1970, I moved to Miami Beach. A friend took me to the Orange Bowl to see a Hurricanes' game. They were awful, but I became a fan. The Canes got good and won 5 National Championships. It was great.

It was safe to love both teams, because they were 3300 miles apart. They'd never play each other. 

What could possibly go wrong? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

And I watched you make that tackle, but don't remember it specifically.  I sure remember that last CW in Hayward Field..  In those days I was a married student, and my wife and I went to Duck games in Eugene and and Corvallis, where she had been a Beaver Rook Rally cheerleader.  I had to endure four successive games of Enyart, who started as a freshman fullback for OSU, then four successive games of Schilling, who started as a freshman fullback for OSU.  Eight years in a row of ignominy, married to a Beaver, watching the Ducks get demolished by three yards and a clump of mud.  

We would be ahead, sometimes by more than a TD.  In the fourth quarter the Beavers would just hand the ball off to their fullback and we absolutely could not stop those two guys.  Eight years in a row.  Fans complain about team performance now, and haven't a clue what it was like to be a Duck fan in the olden days.  There I'd be, dressed in a sport coat and green and yellow diagonal striped tie (yes, everybody wore neck ties to the games in those days), seated next to a cute girl wearing orange, and wanting to go home early before the inevitable ending.

• Thanks 3

Great stories men. Playing and attending games where you could smell the dirt and grass.

And when coaches stayed put until 3 seasons after they should have fired.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Earthquake Bill Enyart, former Medford Black Tornado, my alma mater!

I grew up next door to Coach Speigelberg, and must admit I was a Beaver fan back then.

Played front yard football with Scott and Barry.

On 12/7/2021 at 4:13 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Great stories men. Playing and attending games where you could smell the dirt and grass.

And when coaches stayed put until 3 seasons after they should have fired.

First game late 70s, Parker stadium, student section...I could smell the grass alright...

• Haha 1

In those days at Parker you could smell the cattle barns to the west.

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2021 at 8:41 PM, Wood Duck said:

Earthquake Bill Enyart, former Medford Black Tornado, my alma mater!

I grew up next door to Coach Speigelberg, and must admit I was a Beaver fan back then.

Played front yard football with Scott and Barry.

Quite a collection of athletes from Medford back then if you include Dick Fosbury. My parents graduated from Medford in the 60’s.