FishDuck Article

College Football: How Do You Make a Champion?

COACH: “Son, this is your fifth year in the program.” STUDENT ATHLETE: “Spot on Coach. Gimme five, my man.” COACH: “Give you five? What, as-a-once-upon-a-time, a 5-Star recruit, have you given me or this team? I can’t figure out whether you are lacking in intelligence, or are you simply apathetic?” STUDENT ATHLETE : “Coach, I don’t know, and I don’t ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Ah my good friend Jon,

The best part of your writing "game" is your knowledge.  Especially your knowledge of the national scene.  

Yes, I'm clearly a Homer, and I see mostly positive when it comes to OBD.  That said, our chances of surviving ( or should I say garnering a winning record versus ) our 2022 OOC schedule are up in the air, since we are backpedaling from recent events.

I do like the tough schedules, but only if we keep getting top ten recruiting classes.  Hiring the right coach (with the right stuff) is critical.  We need a coach that can develop his players, and out coach his peers.

You hit the bullseye on what's required to win titles.  And every champion requires a little bit of luck.  Good luck that is, because we had bad luck in both of our title shots ( the "tackle that want a tackle" the first time, then an unfortunate rash of injuries along with an unfortunate disqualification the second time).

Every year, we as fans seem to get more demanding because we've been so close over the past twelve years.  But aren't you glad we're not Georgia?  All that talent, only to cave (so often) to a well known nemesis.

It's so good to be a Duck.  We haven't hit an iceberg.  Let's hope we hire an excellent coach that gets us a title within four years ( that's about the longest era we'll get from a coach ).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 3:03 AM, Mike West said:

We haven't hit an iceberg.

Exactly, no Titanic here. 2001, the Ducks were denied their chance by a computer. But we can't forget 2007 when Oregon was conceded the Championship and the Heisman, until Dixon went down. So close, but so far? USC had been dead in the water,, but is now living the "Life of Riley" with its new Coach.

Oregon can get back on track with the right coach, it has too many things going for it not too, aside from residing in the outskirts of College football known as the Pac-12 with their neighbor, USC. 

• Like 1

Facilities (The very best)

+

Administration (Fully Supportive)

+

Fans (The very best)

+

Boosters (The very best, invested)

+

Players (Near or at 50% threshold)

+

Coach (?????????)

Listening to the Dan Patrick show, they were saying Oregon is a top coaching destination.

Let's get this one right........

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2021 at 6:03 AM, Mike West said:

Ah my good friend Jon,

The best part of your writing "game" is your knowledge.  Especially your knowledge of the national scene.  

Yes, I'm clearly a Homer, and I see mostly positive when it comes to OBD.  That said, our chances of surviving ( or should I say garnering a winning record versus ) our 2022 OOC schedule are up in the air, since we are backpedaling from recent events.

I do like the tough schedules, but only if we keep getting top ten recruiting classes.  Hiring the right coach (with the right stuff) is critical.  We need a coach that can develop his players, and out coach his peers.

You hit the bullseye on what's required to win titles.  And every champion requires a little bit of luck.  Good luck that is, because we had bad luck in both of our title shots ( the "tackle that want a tackle" the first time, then an unfortunate rash of injuries along with an unfortunate disqualification the second time).

Every year, we as fans seem to get more demanding because we've been so close over the past twelve years.  But aren't you glad we're not Georgia?  All that talent, only to cave (so often) to a well known nemesis.

It's so good to be a Duck.  We haven't hit an iceberg.  Let's hope we hire an excellent coach that gets us a title within four years ( that's about the longest era we'll get from a coach ).

Thank you my friend. And Hats Off to you for seeing that this Alabama team most definitely had the talent to take down the Georgia D Goliath. A 5* QB took down a 3* QB precisely as the folks at Saturday Down South predicted. They did not believe Stetson Bennett could get a W over Bama, argued that Daniels needed to start, and they were right on both counts.

Bennett/Daniels, brings up another interesting point about being a champion. The coaching staff has to put the right guys on the field. For any # of reasons IMO, 2021 was a lost year for the Ducks. The safe but the wrong choice started at QB. The bevy of young solid WRs and TEs on the roster were ignored or underutilized. There was zero coherent game planning that led to close wins, a ridiculous loss and 2 blow out losses in 3 weeks.

2022 OOC? Open 'at' Georgia. Play 'cupcake?' E Washington at home and then play BYU, currently ranked No. 13 in the playoff committee's final poll. SENSELESS! Especially with a new coaching staff which I for one am happy to see, and as noted above, little progress under Mario in 2021.

Mario recruited like a champion but he coached like a chump. The talent on the roster including the roster he inherited with Justin Herbert at QB, was mismanaged and improperly used.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:23 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

+

+

Fans (The very best)

+

+

+

Coach (?????????)

Listening to the Dan Patrick show, they were saying Oregon is a top coaching destination.

The only missing ingredients, sustained excellent leadership.  From the HC down to the assistants. And employing an offense that has progressed beyond WWI officers ordering 'the boys' out of the trenches for another futile attack.

In order to win the Oregon Program was building the wrong vehicle, but going the right way.

We didn't put the right engine on the field. The qb is the one player who can make or break a program. We chose neither of those two options. We chose the straight six engine, reliable, but never going to win much. 

If we are going to win going forward we have to pick a qb who can do it all and develop him. Programs don't win with a guy who isn't at least in the running for the Heisman. In the future I trust we will have the engine on the field to make it all work.

The other item is we need the right transmission. The three speed transmission, even 4 speed transmission just doesn't do it anymore. Boy did I love my old '76 BMW 2002, but the transmission held it back.

Same thing with our offense which never extended the opposing defense beyond 5 yds from the line of scrimmage. We need an offense which is a threat to go deep, break it open at anytime.

The good news is switching out the engine and transmission will be easy. We hire the coach who can see beyond the line of scrimmage, and we have 40+ points easy. The engines were on the bench the whole season. We just need to get a coach who isn't afraid to put it in, and shift out of first gear.

It is great news Cristobal had us going the right way, the parts are there! We just need administration to put someone in charge who knows how to use the parts, and can get onboard before the vehicle gets picked apart and we are left with a shell again. Fortunately it is a beautiful shell and should stay together, Go Ducks!

On 12/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, Haywarduck said:

In order to win the Oregon Program was building the wrong vehicle, but going the right way.

We didn't put the right engine on the field. The qb is the one player who can make or break a program. We chose neither of those two options. We chose the straight six engine, reliable, but never going to win much. 

If we are going to win going forward we have to pick a qb who can do it all and develop him. Programs don't win with a guy who isn't at least in the running for the Heisman. In the future I trust we will have the engine on the field to make it all work.

The other item is we need the right transmission. The three speed transmission, even 4 speed transmission just doesn't do it anymore. Boy did I love my old '76 BMW 2002, but the transmission held it back.

Same thing with our offense which never extended the opposing defense beyond 5 yds from the line of scrimmage. We need an offense which is a threat to go deep, break it open at anytime.

The good news is switching out the engine and transmission will be easy. We hire the coach who can see beyond the line of scrimmage, and we have 40+ points easy. The engines were on the bench the whole season. We just need to get a coach who isn't afraid to put it in, and shift out of first gear.

It is great news Cristobal had us going the right way, the parts are there! We just need administration to put someone in charge who knows how to use the parts, and can get onboard before the vehicle gets picked apart and we are left with a shell again. Fortunately it is a beautiful shell and should stay together, Go Ducks!

Great take. Mario brought in the parts but was clueless when it came to assembly. Spot On. regarding the QB position. You cannot win a title without an NFL bound quality QB.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, Haywarduck said:

What a great way to describe what we have been witnessing the last few years. Thank you for putting this into words that anyone can understand!

Edited by BigDog
Wording
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 1:58 PM, BigDog said:

What a great way to describe what we have been witnessing the last few years. Thank you for putting this into words that anyone can understand!

I much respect Heyward. Philosophical to my too often Reactionary.

On 12/8/2021 at 7:23 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

+

+

Fans (The very best)

+

+

+

Coach (?????????)

Fans?!?

Too many negative Nellie's in my book.