Kiffin Could be the Man

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That is all.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yesssssssssssssssss

• Haha 1

I like it

lets goooo!!!

Our offense would be fun to watch next season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In our poll Aranda and Kiffen are neck and neck.

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every USC would be entertaining.  Could you imagine an after game report after kiffin beats down USC?

That may be the only reason I would welcome Kiffikins.

What's the definition of insanity? 

Making the same mistake over and over and expecting a different outcome.

Bringing Lane Kiffin to Oregon is insanity.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 12/8/2021 at 7:49 AM, Annie said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That is all.

I second that!

• Thumbs Up 2

If Aranda is an option, there really isn't a question.

I am also curious about the candidates no one is discussing, but I'll wait until the full story comes out. Mullens and those making calls have to be checking on the Altman types out there, and it will be interesting to see who they are also looking at.

It would be interesting to see what coach has called, slammed his fist on the table, and said I am your guy! I tend to think this is also what we need. Somebody who calls and says they have wanted this job and have been working towards this opportunity their whole life.

The Oregon Football Program is falling apart at the seams right now. We need a coach this time, but we also need somebody who can rally the troops too. We need somebody who can keep the foundation we have and get building quick!

• Thumbs Up 3

Kiffen's actions make me question his character.  He would split in a moment for a better offer.

• Thumbs Up 3

Lane Kiffin is so humble he thinks Lane county was named after him.

• Haha 4

On 12/8/2021 at 10:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

It would be interesting to see what coach has called, slammed his fist on the table, and said I am your guy! I tend to think this is also what we need. Somebody who calls and says they have wanted this job and have been working towards this opportunity their whole life.

The Oregon Football Program is falling apart at the seams right now. We need a coach this time, but we also need somebody who can rally the troops too. We need somebody who can keep the foundation we have and get building quick!

The rumor mill is saying that when mullens said he has had his phone blowing up that it was kiffin(his agent). I don't know how true that is, and the sources of the rumor are about right only 60% of the time but I do think if he is calling he is worth the listen. 

before being hired he would new glowing references from ole miss, FAU, and Saban... 

We'd also need to recognize that Kiffin probably isn't the stay and coach till he retires at oregon and will make his jump to the nfl if given a shot... so at best we get four years and we would need to set up a succession plan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Usc was under heavy sanctions due to Bush scandal, including Bowl ban and scholarships pulled.  He did Tenn dirty. Won a title as OC under Sabin. Killing it at Ole Miss, 8-2 record, second best in SEC west. Elite recruiter. Has connections in so cal and sec country. Still risky but is a much better coach than MC. 

On 12/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, C J said:

What's the definition of insanity? 

Making the same mistake over and over and expecting a different outcome.

Bringing Lane Kiffin to Oregon is insanity.

Why? He was good enough for Nick Saban to hand him the keys to the Bama O. He completely turned around the FAU program. In his 2nd year at Ole Miss the D has been completely revamped and he has the Rebels headed to the Sugar Bowl at 10-2 and having played one hell of a schedule.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's something about 'Lane' County that just sounds right. 

• Haha 1

I'm fine with it. As long as we (Duck Nation) go into with the realization that it is a 3-4 year gig.

Oregon would be a stepping stone for Lane.

It was not intended to be so for Mario.

• Thumbs Up 2

OUTSTANDING! If it could happen, but I doubt that it will happen. As noted in a reply above.

1 Who did Nick Saban trust and hire to bring the Bama offense into the modern era of CFB?

2. Who revitalized and turned around the FAU program?

3. In his second season at Ole Miss  playing against a schedule significantly more difficult than Oregon's, who went 10-2 and his team on the way to the Sugar Bowl?

4. Who did all of the above, knows and understands the Left Coast and the Pac-12 and can flat out recruit.

LANE KIFFIN. I do not believe the Ducks has a realistic shot at landing Kiffin? But if Oregon can do so it must do so! How many Pac-12 programs have the sack to hire a winning NY6 bowl bound coach out of the SEC? TWO. And SC has already hired its guy.

Why the concerns? Because he left TN after 1 year for his dream job? Because he was fired mid-season by one of the worst ADs in history? I don't get all of the shade thrown at Kiffin?

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

The eyes of the college football nation are focused on Oregon and how Mullens/Knight are going to respond to having Cristobal smuggled out. They need a big time hire to show the world that Oregon is up to answering the call and plans to continue being a factor in college football's brave new world where money is no barrier.

My spidy senses are telling me that Phil Knight is completely on board with a big, stunning, flashy hire to show these johnny come lately nou-veau rich billionaire boosters of the college football world how the old guard big boys play the game. As I told people who were questioning whether Miami could afford what looks to be close to 30 million dollars to hire Cristobal away, big money to you and me is chump change for these guys.

When it comes to big, splashy, sexy, "let's make a statement to the college football world about what our name brand is truly all about" coaching hires, Lane Kiffin is hard to beat. Given that the price seems open ended, I'd rather see Aranda or Campbell, but a Kiffin hire might be the big-time statement Oregon feels like it needs to make for this hire.

• Thumbs Up 2

When Lane was with Saban did you all notice a turn around in his offensive style and look now how it’s evolved into an absolute wrecking ball. If we can get 3 to 4 years out of him it’s well worth the minor risk. Look at what’s happened to the Ducks since Belotti. Do we think we can keep anybody more than 4 years?  

PROBABLY NOT.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 9:26 AM, UtahDuck said:

The rumor mill is saying that when mullens said he has had his phone blowing up that it was kiffin(his agent). I don't know how true that is, and the sources of the rumor are about right only 60% of the time but I do think if he is calling he is worth the listen. 

before being hired he would new glowing references from ole miss, FAU, and Saban... 

We'd also need to recognize that Kiffin probably isn't the stay and coach till he retires at oregon and will make his jump to the nfl if given a shot... so at best we get four years and we would need to set up a succession plan.

I would imagine Kiffin has been looking to get back at sc and the west coast. I have no problem giving him the opportunity to do both.

We really should be working on a succession system with this new coach. I suppose our succession system is creating an appealing place to coach, and play, not a bad plan.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest DUCKBILL

My last 2 cents worth on the selection of our new coach. Plan A- If Aranda is available he would be my choice. He is a west coast guy. He would recruit well. He would keep our present recruits. The risk is him moving on within a few years.

Plan B. Hire Wilcox with the string that he hire the best offensive coordinator available. Bring Steve Greatwood with him as well as Haywood. He is my personal choice. I think he is another Altman. What he has done with the talent he has is outstanding. He will be at Oregon for a long time. This is very important to me. I want stability. I yearn after the old Oregon values. Winning at all costs is not one of them. If Oregon joins the chase for a natty no matter the costs, I just cannot support that vision. If Uncle Phil is willing to pay what ever it costs to win a natty then I understand his quest, but not for me. 

Football has become a slave to money. Paying any amount to win a natty is in my mind insane. I find no joy in watching a game that is built on money. As Jon Joseph has pointed out the SEC, Big12 has and will have, because of the size of their market and the value football in their culture, the most money per school. What will happen to Oregon when Uncle Phil is no longer around with his open check book?

I see 2 major conferences in the future. With the exception of USC, I do not see any West Coast school being a member. The Ivy league model for the rest of the PAC 12 would suit me fine.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Why?

Simply because he is another snake, just like slick and Mario. It's more of the same. Personally I would like to get off the carousel.

Coaching wise it seems to make sense, but I care more about the program as a whole then just wins and losses. 

My belief is that if we do the right thing and invest in Oregonians then things will work themselves out eventually. I actually think we would be really surprised by the success a Wilcox + Musgraves + Sirmon + Heyward + Mcclendon team would have with the roster we have.  Heyward and Mclendon are nationally recognized recruiters.

Time to stop chasing rainbows..........it's insane.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2021 at 10:29 AM, C J said:

Simply because he is another snake, just like slick and Mario. It's more of the same. Personally I would like to get off the carousel.

Coaching wise it seems to make sense, but I care more about the program as a whole then just wins and losses. 

My belief is that if we do the right thing and invest in Oregonians then things will work themselves out eventually. I actually think we would be really surprised by the success a Wilcox + Musgraves + Sirmon + Heyward + Mcclendon team would have with the roster we have.  Heyward and Mclendon are nationally recognized recruiters.

Time to stop chasing rainbows..........it's insane.

You are calling Mario a snake.....

Because he left for a job in his home town, at his alma mater, and has a desire to be close to his family, especially his mother who is having serious health issues? Oh, and he'll make $8 million dollars a year!

And that makes him a snake?

Coaches move on.....

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/8/2021 at 9:26 AM, UtahDuck said:

We should do this with any coach

On 12/8/2021 at 10:52 AM, DUCKED said:

Because he left for a job in his home town, at his alma mater, and has a desire to be close to his family, especially his mother who is having serious health issues? Oh, and he'll make $8 million dollars a year!

Coaches move on.....deal with it.

Not me as much as several of the players and their parents. I am good with him going, but he definitely told some stretchers to kids and their parents about what he was building at Oregon. 

I am actually really happy he left because I grew so tired of watching his offense I actually considered not watching any longer.

So.........people lie and are deceitful...........and they get called out........

On 12/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, DUCKBILL said:

My last 2 cents worth on the selection of our new coach. Plan A- If Aranda is available he would be my choice. He is a west coast guy. He would recruit well. He would keep our present recruits. The risk is him moving on within a few years.

Plan B. Hire Wilcox with the string that he hire the best offensive coordinator available. Bring Steve Greatwood with him as well as Haywood. He is my personal choice. I think he is another Altman. What he has done with the talent he has is outstanding. He will be at Oregon for a long time. This is very important to me. I want stability. I yearn after the old Oregon values. Winning at all costs is not one of them. If Oregon joins the chase for a natty no matter the costs, I just cannot support that vision. If Uncle Phil is willing to pay what ever it costs to win a natty then I understand his quest, but not for me. 

Football has become a slave to money. Paying any amount to win a natty is in my mind insane. I find no joy in watching a game that is built on money. As Jon Joseph has pointed out the SEC, Big12 has and will have, because of the size of their market and the value football in their culture, the most money per school. What will happen to Oregon when Uncle Phil is no longer around with his open check book?

I see 2 major conferences in the future. With the exception of USC, I do not see any West Coast school being a member. The Ivy league model for the rest of the PAC 12 would suit me fine.

Oregon, USC and UW are in Forbes top 25 revenue producing football programs.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

LANE KIFFIN. I do not believe the Ducks has a realistic shot at landing Kiffin? But if Oregon can do so it must do so! How many Pac-12 programs have the sack to hire a winning NY6 bowl bound coach out of the SEC? TWO. And SC has already hired its guy.

I totally agree with you Jon, and I love the big picture perspective you bring here. I also truly believe that this coaching hire for Oregon is all about them demonstrating the "size of their sack". I think that's especially true where Phil Knight is concerned.

The University of Oregon is Nike's flagship college football team. Kiffin is all about the size of the stage, the glory, and the money. He's also probably the best offensive mind in college football right now. As you say, this is MUST do for Oregon if there is any chance of success, and those rumors that always seem to be true are saying that Kiffin is definitely interested.

Before, I was hearing from eyes and ears on the inside that Chip was the man, but it seems clear to me now that Oregon has moved beyond that. I don't think Phil would sign off on Chip given their past history. I now have a feeling that Lane Kiffin is going to be coming to Lane County.

It's going to happen.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2021 at 11:35 AM, latracey said:

I have a feeling that Lane Kiffin is going to be coming to Lane County. It's going to happen.

Yes, If Oregon wants to be a player in the CFP game, it needs to win this hand, 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 12:07 PM, C J said:

Not me as much as several of the players and their parents. I am good with him going, but he definitely told some stretchers to kids and their parents about what he was building at Oregon. 

I am actually really happy he left because I grew so tired of watching his offense I actually considered not watching any longer.

So.........people lie and are deceitful...........and they get called out........

I mean no disrespect, but FBS College Football is no longer "Your Father's Oldsmobile" -- and really hasn't been for at least a couple decades. I personally don't like what money has done to it, but I have no control over that.

Athletes and their Mommies and Daddies really should wake up and smell the coffee. Almost without exception, head-coaches will tell them exactly they want/need to hear.

Friends... FBS College Football is a massive, multi-billion-dollar business and now operates accordingly. That's the beginning, middle and end of the story. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 3

I look at it this way Cristobal wasnt any better or worse than Taggert -they got a chance at their respective dream jobs and took them. Just like CEOs leave one company and go to another. Im sure the Ducks will build in a contingency plan for things like this in the future. 

The world is ever changing and so are our Ducks.

I just want some high paced offense. This is a chance for it to happen. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest KingT

Lane would be fine. Oregon is a National Marque program and it needs a big personality. It has a kind of built-in media presence. Kids are drawn to the program and a big coaching personality. People love to hate Oregon, so we need to Go Big.

Folks, none of us like what Mario did, but it's the nature of CF these days. We have to get over it, improve, and rebuild - just like we are asking of our student athletes. I know I'm ticked off and am sure all of you are too. Watching the CF news right now feels unbearable, so, turn it off.  This site feels like a therapeutic refuge thankfully. Mullens has made a number of good coaching moves and I have no doubt he will find a strong candidate for this job. Let's go!

On 12/8/2021 at 10:52 PM, DUCKED said:

Coaches move on.....

The snake in all of this is Taggart even though it has been a few years since bolting and subsequently failing in Tallahassee getting hammered by Boise State in the process. Mario succeeded and positively built Oregon football, he did walk back to South Florida very quickly but I don't believe he really slithered.

Edited by BradPelican82

On 12/8/2021 at 7:53 AM, Just Ducky said:

Yesssssssssssssssss

How long would he stay?!!?

Guy burns more bridges than Grant's March through Georgia!!

• Haha 1

First... If Oregon hires Lane Kiffin it would make me look really smart... I have been telling anyone who would listen that I think for what Oregon wants right now it is Kiffin. 

What Oregon wants right now. 

1. Splashy enough to save the recruiting class and the roster 

2. Restore the offense... we need an offense that can bury people in points again! No more winning by 7 on a regular basis. 

3. Can recruit top quality talent... recruiting to Oregon is doable but it isn't always easy need someone who can get the talent we need. 

Kiffin is a better and different coach post-Alabama so I don't have concerns in that regard. 

Kiffin screams gun for hire... he does and that is really how he has played out his career to date. 

But here's the thing about Kiffin and his loyalty or lack there of... We lost Taggart and Cristobal to their "dream jobs" and guess what... Kiffin already had his dream job and was fired at USC. So don't need to worry about that coming back to haunt us because it would the a shocker if Kiffin is even interested in USC ever again after that. Cristobal left for Miami who had to pay a 9 million dollar buy out to get him... that is a pretty steep buy out. Any other school wouldn't have gotten MC because the only school he was leaving Oregon for was Miami and even then I was not so sure until I heard about his mother's frail health. 

Won't he just leave Oregon for a better place? Well... there are two ways to ensure loyalty or whatever passes for loyalty these days.

1. Pay him enough to keep him... which should be doable if he actually wants to the job.

2. Kiffin gets us what we want... a National Championship. You know why no one is calling Saban for a coaching hire... well money for starters he is too expensive but that is something that could theoretically be overcome by the right buyer... the second reason is why would Saban leave Alabama to build a program anywhere else? He has a program built to win championships so he has what he wants because he built it. 

Kiffin would fill all the four needs of Oregon... yes, including the loyalty factor if he brings us to the promised land which is what we all want. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 2

I truly believe that Mario was a Duck and gave his all to the Ducks right up til Miami enticed him away with a dream job, and I think that enticement started behind the scenes in the week leading up to the first Utah game.

He torqued quite a few of us off for leaving the way he did, but it was initiated by Miami boosters and people who were longtime friends. It was his dream job, and he took it.  He is a Cane again.

I personally think it was a professional mistake for him, but time will bear that out or not.  As far as the new coach, I can agree or disagree with the names coming up til the cows come home, and it will not matter.

Mullens will hire someone, and like him or not, I will root for the Ducks in every game they play.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, KingT said:

Lane would be fine. Oregon is a National Marque program and it needs a big personality. It has a kind of built-in media presence. Kids are drawn to the program and a big coaching personality. People love to hate Oregon, so we need to Go Big.

Folks, none of us like what Mario did, but it's the nature of CF these days. We have to get over it, improve, and rebuild - just like we are asking of our student athletes. I know I'm ticked off and am sure all of you are too. Watching the CF news right now feels unbearable, so, turn it off.  This site feels like a therapeutic refuge thankfully. Mullens has made a number of good coaching moves and I have no doubt he will find a strong candidate for this job. Let's go!

Actually my friend, I rather liked what he did? Oregon needs an HC who can both recruit and coach the recruits up. I saw the former in Mario and not the later.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 1:16 PM, David Marsh said:

First... If Oregon hires Lane Kiffin it would make me look really smart... I have been telling anyone who would listen that I think for what Oregon wants right now it is Kiffin. 

Careful comparing smart and right. You might be right, but only over time will you viewed as smart on that decision. This is the whole quandary with picking a coach.

Miami feels both right, I told you we could get him and we sure look smart. We will see on that note. Same with many programs.

I think the difference with Oregon is we know the guy won't be a savior and will support him with whatever he needs. Taggart, the best DC money could buy and we could bring here. With Cristobal we hired the best OC money could buy, and would come here. The problem was Cristobal didn't use the OC and he left for zip.

In the end I think you could be right and smart. I think the program will make the coach look smart, and we will all be right, he isn't the perfect fit.

• Thumbs Up 1

All I know is that Nike stock has been killing it for the last 12 years…Congrats to Phil Knight and his succession plan…seems to have worked out well. 

Now we will see if he wants to help the Ducks make a big splash.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Why? He was good enough for Nick Saban to hand him the keys to the Bama O. He completely turned around the FAU program. In his 2nd year at Ole Miss the D has been completely revamped and he has the Rebels headed to the Sugar Bowl at 10-2 and having played one hell of a schedule.

How long do you think he would stay?

Guy has burned a lot of bridges. 

If this was 2014 I'd say no way but I do like Alabama assistant coaches and he did really well at Alabama. Although you could argue the same thing for coach Sark I think Kiffin is a bit better than Sark.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, DanLduck said:

4 years or so. Chip was HC 4 years and played for a NC. 

On 12/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, DanLduck said:

I am not worried about that,, they almost all leave.  Win a Natty, leave.  I am all in for that.

Edited by AllOregon

OK.....lets hire a coach nobody else wants that stinks it up so we can keep him all to ourselves......

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, AllOregon said:

I am not worried about that,, they almost all leave.  Win a Natty, leave.  I am all in for that.

Edited 13 minutes ago by AllOregon

If they win a national title the likelihood of them leaving goes down. No one wants just one national title to their name... And why rebuild if you have what you want at your current location. 

Not to say it is impossible and won't happen, but it tends to be less likely. 

Belly laugh for that”right on point” comment, Fred!

Edited by Grandpa Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:20 PM, fred flintstone said:

OK.....lets hire a coach nobody else wants that stinks it up so we can keep him all to ourselves......

LOL... The thought of Lane Kiffen slapping around the trojan in green and yellow has you hyperventilating I see. Love it.  I see Reggie is slinging fast food these days.

Edited by Log Haulin

F3B033A2-193C-4A3C-AE50-1F422A7E574A.png

On 12/8/2021 at 5:05 PM, Tbird said:

F3B033A2-193C-4A3C-AE50-1F422A7E574A.png

Screenshot_20211208-171043_Chrome.jpg