Massduck

Championship Game Thoughts

Just curious to the grousing‘s concerning the national championship game last night. I’m sure Charles will get to this,  but I wanted to spit this taste out of my mouth.

Mario Cristobal is a Nick Saban descendent, yet he seems unwilling to follow in Saban's footsteps concerning change. Survival means adaptability and obviously Saban has done that.

Hiring Kiffin, then Sarkisian, being content occasionally to give up 30 or 40 points because he is going to score in 40 or 50.  No wonder 4 of the top eight receivers coming out of high school this year signed with Alabama

Saban was quoted in USA today this morning saying to the effect that the ball game has changed.  Does Mario realize that?

Will Cristobal see the light? I am hoping that he was sitting 6 feet apart from Morehead watching this game!

1 hour ago, Massduck said:

Sabon was quoted in USA today this morning saying to the effect that the ball game has changed.

Fascinating. At the height of, "the blur", Saban insisted that not only was it bad for the game aesthetically, up tempo offenses were dangerous, risky to the health of players. Now apparently it's all good. Mario pledged when he came to Oregon that he would keep the offense going, but with bigger, better players. So far, he has recruited bigger, potentially, better players, but he abandoned the offense!

Whew!  Big questions that frankly--the future of Oregon football is hinged upon IMHO.

--Will Cristobal realize you have to score a boatload of points to win the big games?

--Will Cristobal let the Coordinators do their job and he focus on recruiting, culture and PR?

The difference between being nine-win team and a 12 to 14 win team is dependent upon how he addresses those questions.

Great stuff, and fantastic first post Massduck!  Welcome!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Remember about 10 years ago when Sabin said, I'm paraphrasing, that Oregon's blur offense was a danger to the game of football and should be banned? It wasn't good for the sport and will lead to many injuries on the defensive side of the ball? My thoughts about his football teams now? He is an adapter! He saw this is what fans wanted, changed his tactics, and hired coaches to get him here.

No longer is the game about stifling defense and score just enough to win offense. It has mutated from three yards and a cloud of dust to 52 yards and eat my dust! We can thank Chip for this. He changed the game. Now you have to score points to win and the defense only needs to stop the other team two to three times in a game. Same philosophy that Chip had back then!

Now if only coach C could be as adaptable...

5 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Whew!  Big questions that frankly--the future of Oregon football is hinged upon IMHO.

--Will Cristobal realize you have to score a boatload of points to win the big games?

--Will Cristobal let the Coordinators do their job and he focus on recruiting, culture and PR?

The difference between being nine-win team and a 12 to 14 win team is dependent upon how he addresses those questions.

Great stuff, and fantastic first post Massduck!  Welcome!

Couldn't agree more.  Must score boatload of points and must attack by throwing the football.  The existing paradigm on offense won't cut it.  At some point, MC will garner a negative reputation for his conservative offenses and recruiting will be impacted.  

Those were risky hires by Sabin that worked out and could have easily went sideways. He took a risk, one that only he could take because of his status and what he had accomplished so far. To me Mario is building a National title contending team all the while trying to keep his job. He's only been Head man for 3 years and just getting started. He's building his resume so that he can eventually take those risk. He will get us ducks fans to the promise land, little slower than we want but he will get us there.

Edited by Foursport1of1
  • Thumbs Up 1