Jimmy joe

Ducks Football in Shambles Right Now…

Mullens needs to hit a home run with this one… I think Wilcox would be a mistake… you need someone proven…

27590F0A-B33E-4A2C-8CCE-739008B6C6A4.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Shambles is a strong word... I'd honestly say this hurts mario more than it hurts oregon...

lets look at the oregon staff.

Bryan Mcclendon IHC/WR spent most of his career on the east coast

Tim Deruyter DC/OLB going to TT

Joe Moorhead OC/QB going to Akron

Alex Mirabal OL(can assure you he is going with cristobal)

Joe Salave'a DL Co-DC Has never coached east of arizona

Ken Wilson ILB Has never coached east of Nevada

Bobby Williams TE Special teams(has coached everywhere and will either follow Cristobal or be let go and no fan will cry over this)

Rod Chance CB's has coached at oregon and minnesota I think he either follows cristobal or is not retained

Jim Mastro RB's never coached east of nevada, top target for Nevada head coach job

Marcel Yates Safeties/secondary going to TT

Aaron Feld Strength, will be following CMC

So of the 10 field coaches and the strength 3 have found jobs not with mario(DeRuyter, Moorhead, Yates) and another is the top prospect for another university(Mastro). 4 look to be guaranteed locks(mirabal, Williams, chance, feld) on either following him or not being retained. that leaves the final four.

With Bmac receiving the Interim position it looks like the university wants to retain him. Obviously the new coach will have some leeway but I think Mullens may make it a priority. Down the line we also have Salave'a and Wilson. If oregon could retain these three I would be happy with the staff. I think Bmac would require a OC position but if Lane comes in it may be worth him to stay and take the OC position while Lane keeps play calling for a year or two. Salave'a and Wilson are Elite recruiters on defense and if oregon could bring williams back from USC(which he will be out of a job as the Oklahoma CB coach is following Lincoln). 

The hardest coach oregon has to replace is Mirabal. He was a great Oline coach despite some people moaning but the rest of this staff should be good. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/8/2021 at 10:36 AM, UtahDuck said:

The hardest coach oregon has to replace is Mirabal. He was a great Oline coach despite some people moaning

Wow, UtahDuck, my friend...I have never disagreed with you more than that statement.  I am very grateful that he is leaving....I am hoping the next coach can teach pass-blocking better.

• Thumbs Up 7

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2021 at 11:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am very grateful that he is leaving....I am hoping the next coach can teach pass-blocking better.

AGREED. As shameful as AB's passing game was, he should have had a much better pocket to work out of. His legs saved him hand's down. Utah's front 7 cut through the OL like a hot knife through butter. I believe the sack count could and would have been much higher with Ty or Butters behind center. The OL gave very little time for Brown to go through his progressions. May have played a factor into his consistent over-throws...

• Like 1

Shambles?...the roster is basically stacked. And young....if I recall about half the roster are freshmen and another quarter sophs....wasn't Oregon the youngest power 5 team in the country?....get a high flying coach and they'll stay.

If they can hold the current roster and keep half the incoming class they'll be good to go assuming they can get a top notch coach.

And I don't get the Chip bashing. The guy can coach and if he wants to come back why not? He'd probably be here for years and his lack of recruiting chops can be salvaged by a coaching staff of guys who can recruit......and one thing about Kelly he'll run a wide open entertaining offense.....Kiffin, Kelly, Aranda or the Alabama OC all should work.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:36 AM, UtahDuck said:

With Bmac receiving the Interim position it looks like the university wants to retain him. Obviously the new coach will have some leeway but I think Mullens may make it a priority. Down the line we also have Salave'a and Wilson. If oregon could retain these three I would be happy with the staff. I think Bmac would require a OC position but if Lane comes in it may be worth him to stay and take the OC position while Lane keeps play calling for a year or two. Salave'a and Wilson are Elite recruiters on defense and if oregon could bring williams back from USC(which he will be out of a job as the Oklahoma CB coach is following Lincoln)....

Would really like to see Bmac, Salavea'a, and Wilson stay and Williams to return!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

AGREED. As shameful as AB's passing game was, he should have had a much better pocket to work out of. His legs saved him hand's down. Utah's front 7 cut through the OL like a hot knife through butter. I believe the sack count could and would have been much higher with Ty or Butters behind center. The OL gave very little time for Brown to go through his progressions. May have played a factor into his consistent over-throws...

Partly also because Utah knew that Brown doesn't make his reads terribly fast, tends to be blind across the middle of the field and usually won't throw a route down the middle and when he does it feels like it is over thrown or intercepted. 

So Utah really did just sell out to stop the run and Brown couldn't start a passing attack to make them respect the passing game to get the run game going. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I can’t say if Mirabal was a good O-Line coach, or if the line calls were good, but I suspect passing pockets were good enough for most elite quarterbacks.

AB is a strong guy with slow twitch.  No pocket is good enough for more than a three step drop for a slow twitcher.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Simply for dropping KT, one of the best pass rushers back in coverage every game, I'm glad DeRuyter is gone.  Like MC, he didn't deserve the athletes that they had.  Neither one of them knew how to get the maximum out of the arsenal of weapons at their disposal and put the players in a position to win and make plays.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:42 PM, Duck1984 said:

I can’t say if Mirabal was a good O-Line coach, or if the line calls were good, but I suspect passing pockets were good enough for most elite quarterbacks.

AB is a strong guy with slow twitch.  No pocket is good enough for more than a three step drop for a slow twitcher.

In the Pac-12 champ game, Brown was pressured on 41% of his throws. Far from elite OL play.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2021 at 12:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Wow, UtahDuck, my friend...I have never disagreed with you more than that statement.  I am very grateful that he is leaving....I am hoping the next coach can teach pass-blocking better.

I know a lot of people didn't like the performance of th oline. Not to say I defend it. But this is not the oline that been recruited. Their has been a high number of injuries before the season started, some of Cristobal/mirabals best recruits prior to 2021 have medically retired. Then add in the injuries during the season and this oline should have been significantly worse than they were. 

We can disagree but I truly think mirabals was an asset to this staff and will be hard to replace. 

With that said if we can get a coach that has a much more blended approach to weight and flexibility. Than this team can improve across the line. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:27 PM, UtahDuck said:

I am very grateful that he is leaving....I am hoping the next coach can teach pass-blocking better.

And know the snap count.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon football is in shambles because of MC. He took a blowtorch to the place on his way out just before early signing. I don't remember a coach doing this ever at Oregon.

Edited by Warrenton

LSU will burn a QBs red shirt due to the starter entering the portal in there bowl game.

Edited by nw777b

On 12/8/2021 at 1:58 PM, Jon Joseph said:

In the Pac-12 champ game, Brown was pressured on 41% of his throws. Far from elite OL play.

No question that AB was pressured.  Easy to stunt and blitz a slow twitch quarterback facing press coverage with 7 on 5 and an undersized running back.

Feels like we are back to the Helfrich days, feels bleak.  I agree Mullins needs to hit a home run otherwise Ducks will become another USC of late.   Hit a home run with Fickell or O'Brien   ...   Do it Phil...  Wilcox a big mistake