Duck1984

Aranda is Our Man, Duh.

Could there be a better fit?

A coach that looks good in green, humble, hard worker, can adjust to beat an OSU team the second time around?

The only question is can Uncle Phil wait until January 2?

72D64BC5-4CB7-4F34-895F-5347002EEE8B.jpeg

Edited by Duck1984

2 seasons as a HC. Recruiting? He did a great job of raiding the portal and hiring a new OC from BYU.

I'd take Kiffin in a heart beat over Aranda. Baylor has offered Aranda an extension and a raise.

BTW: Jeff Tedford is the new Fresno coach.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 11:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

2 seasons as a HC. Recruiting? He did a great job of raiding the portal and hiring a new OC from BYU.

I'd take Kiffin in a heart beat over Aranda. Baylor has offered Aranda an extension and a raise.

Aranda is pretty much of a super hero at Baylor and seems like that would be very hard for Aranda to give up.  Agree Kiffin best choice if the 2 choices were Aranda and Kiffin and probably a best choice on longer lists. Kiffin knows how to win you can't take that away from him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 11:48 AM, BradPelican82 said:

Aranda is pretty much of a super hero at Baylor and seems like that would be very hard for Aranda to give up.  Agree Kiffin best choice if the 2 choices were Aranda and Kiffin and probably a best choice on longer lists. Kiffin knows how to win you can't take that away from him.

I disagree I'd take Aranda any day over Kiffin but you might be right about Kiffin having less loyalty to the school he is at.

Didn’t Aranda beat ex-Oklahoma now USC Trojan coach Lincoln Riley this year, punctuated by a last second field goal to be sure that his team held the tie-breaker for the Big12 championship game?

Game coaching matters.

On 12/8/2021 at 12:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

To add to this about Aranda, My understanding is that he is a big coach on coaching through Faith(he is has been a devout christian his whole life.) While I can commend him on being true to himself and beliefs I don't know how well that would settle in the PNW.

Also his ability to draw in coaches seems very underwhelming.  his staff is almost entirely from byu or smaller schools. This could be due to his style of coaching as a whole but I really can't imagine wanting most of his staff to follow him to oregon.

• Thumbs Up 3

Aranda and Sitake being of a faith which may not be the predominant one on the team is ok with me. I am not an extremely religious person, but I have great respect for those who are. As long as they aren't a zealot, well maybe for the Ducks, but they aren't over the top then believing in something is a good thing. 

I have no idea about Kiffin's religious background, but he seems to almost be rudderless with his morals. One of the guiding principles of the mormon religion is to ask if they are doing the right thing, the golden rule. I have tremendous admiration for those who ask themselves these kind of questions and may teach that to the student athletes. 

I would be ok with either hire with this question in mind. I have no idea who would, will be best, but I say we wait, see and get behind them!

Great comment on assistants. The staff a coach puts together and the teamwork needed amongst them is probably one of the least understood issues with creating a strong program. We need strong assistants and a functional team working toward one goal, create better student athletes, who win games and at the game of life!

On 12/9/2021 at 11:52 AM, Haywarduck said:

Aranda and Sitake being of a faith which may not be the predominant one on the team is ok with me. I am not an extremely religious person, but I have great respect for those who are. As long as they aren't a zealot, well maybe for the Ducks, but they aren't over the top then believing in something is a good thing. 

Two things, to note. 1. I think Aranda and Sitake are good coaches(Aranda is significantly better in my opinion). I have no qualms issues or concerns over either's religious beliefs and that should not be qualify/disqualifying factors.

My concern with Aranda, from his coaching style, While I can't say for certain, I have heard his coaching is highly reliant on "playing for your teammate and playing for God". I just don't know how well he matches culturally with the PNW.  

On 12/9/2021 at 2:48 PM, UtahDuck said:

Two things, to note. 1. I think Aranda and Sitake are good coaches(Aranda is significantly better in my opinion). I have no qualms issues or concerns over either's religious beliefs and that should not be qualify/disqualifying factors.

My concern with Aranda, from his coaching style, While I can't say for certain, I have heard his coaching is highly reliant on "playing for your teammate and playing for God". I just don't know how well he matches culturally with the PNW.  

But what if 'god' is Phil Knight?

• Haha 1

There is a huge problem when a coach mixes his religious beliefes with training players.  Where is the boundary between teaching and proselytizing?  What happens to the players who do not want anything to do with religion when another player they are competing with for playing time converts to the coach's church and then is getting to play while the nonbeliever sits on the bench.  Even it the convert is the better player, the nonbelievers are going to feel discriminated against.

Len Casanova was a devout Catholic.  He went to Mass and communion every day.  Yet he never led a prayer or brought his beliefs into the football program.  

• Thumbs Up 2