Charles Fischer

Charles....you are a WIMP, a Namby-Pamby...(Better Read THIS!)

My friends...I do not like some of what is being written in a forum that is overtly supposed to be "polite and respectful" to one another.

Truly ask yourself when you post... is this something that nice, reasonable people even want to read?

You can write negative stuff (all of which is not only allowed but encouraged) without being disrespectful to those who disagree with you.

Of course when I notify someone about it--on occasion I get what you see in the title....and I don't care.  We will keep this as a GREEN REFUGE from the nastiness of the real world.

One longtime member told me this morning..."you are trying to walk against a strong headwind of society today Charles..."

He is right, but our amount of posting is so high, that I can remove a few culls and we will do just fine.

Remember....just because you do not see any moderation happening--doesn't mean it is not.  This morning a moderator caught a nasty post that had only been up 9 minutes!  This means you don't even have to read the nonsense...and I love that.

Every post is read.  Posts are being deleted every day.  People are being banned every week.  Don't think you are above our rules.

And for the 99.50% who post just fine?  Know that we are taking out the trash and keeping this site clean every hour, every minute.  You are being protected from the Trolls!

And hug a moderator today!  (They are the green posts)

Rant over.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I WANT disagreement, I WANT to see all views...and we can do so by simply stating our views and simply disagreeing....that's it!

Give your opinion....that's it!  No throwing "Group-Shade" at those who disagree with you...do not tell people to "grow up" or "deal with it" as that is rude, and normal behavior on the other sites.

Not here.

Other examples of trying to discourage or inhibit posting... (See No. 2 of the rules

"I don't want to hear anymore about this"

"People...stop writing that, I am so tired of reading it."

Both the examples above are trying to stop people from posting their view that this person disagrees with.  This behavior of trying to inhibit future posts is forbidden, and that poster will be on thin ice with me...

My Objective:  Get all opinions on a Topic

How do we Achieve That?  Make people feel safe!

How do we make people feel safe?  Enforce rules that stop the behaviors that prevent people from posting or being hesitant from doing so.

Other sites will moderate for opinions....and allow posters to intimidate, denigrate or bully minority views into silence.

OBD moderates for behaviors that inhibit posting of all opinions...the opposite of what they do on other sites!

Minority views will receive full protection, even if I don't agree with them. Even if they are a "end-of-the-spectrum" (wacko) view!  A minority view three years ago can become a majority view now, and I am proof of that.

And when you see an "end-of-the-spectrum" view....you will need to exercise impulse control.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Totally agree Charles and I apologize for not restraining myself further when another poster attacked me earlier. I couldn't take it.......I had to stand up for myself.

Without a doubt though this is a green refuge and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Many thanks to you and the moderators for all your work!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, C J said:

Totally agree Charles and I apologize for not restraining myself further when another poster attacked me earlier. I couldn't take it.......I had to stand up for myself.

And his post was edited and he will hear from me too.

To everyone?  I KNOW this is not easy, but what we have is EXCEPTIONAL and it will take that kind of effort to preserve it.

And thank you CJ...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

oh grow up Charles

KIDDING 😄

I've often stopped reading the comments on other sites simply cause it turns into people just attacking each other over the pettiest things.  I swear CFB is the equivalent of soccer/football in the rest of the world when it comes to passionate fans.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think it goes without saying that we all appreciate the effort you, and your moderators, put in.

This is the ONLY site I comment on... and it is because of that effort.

Thank you.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Sometimes I will take the time to read my own post and think about it before I hit submit. 

Ive caught myself a few times and made "adjustments"

• Like 1

Guest Axel

Charles and moderators: we appreciate your efforts to maintain civility and mitigate the name-calling.  It's refreshing to have a refuge, as you put it, free from trolling and other such nonsense 

Charles,

We have had discussions before, I get why and I agree.  And Yes, Alcohol is NOT an excuse for such behavior.  But I will be honest right now.  Loyalty, character, honor(one's word), HAS to mean something.  Not just Coach speak, "Do as I say, Not as I Do".  I do not expect you to jump in front of an on coming car.  If you are the coach or coaches at Oregon, I expect you set the example, give them the resources and allow them to grow and succeed to the best of your abilities.  At the end of your season, if you need to make a change, Fine.  We have all been there where we had to move on.

Coach Cristobal, good luck in your future endeavors, thank you for taking a chance on Oregon.  To your wife and family, it is a BIG sacrifice thank you so much.  And to all the other coaches and staff as their families are often forgotten, they too are impacted.  I wish you all the best moving forward, not easy having to always have your bags packed with kids.

Finally, there is a cost to jobs like this, investment of your time, efforts, choices you make and judgement on the successes or failures you have.  It is personal, sadly, you have to evaluate and make the necessary changes moving forward.  Grow from the mistakes, make changes that positively impact you, find the right fits.  I hope Oregon finds the Person to lead our young men, to success On and Off the field.  Thank you Charles for being the forever Optimist in people being kind to each other and not making it personal.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 12:29 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Sometimes I will take the time to read my own post and think about it before I hit submit. 

I've caught myself a few times and made "adjustments"

Amen, Duck-Brother.  I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to tell someone what I thought of them and their idea, and then it hits me...."Charles, you cannot violate your own rules!"

Yet a month ago...I messed up as we all do once in a while.  I wrote something snappy to Haywarduck....a friend and moderator I love, and then 15 minutes later realized...."Charles, you idiot...you broke your own rule!"  I went back in and saw that too many people had read it, thus I apologized in public and in private to Haywarduck.  Being the great guy he is...he brushed it off, accepted it in a heartbeat and life goes on.  

Just as we do with "regulars" who mess-up on occasion.  I need that slack too, and it goes to show...this is not easy, but that is what makes it special.

Thanks 1Ducker1!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thank You Charles!! 

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Thank you Charles for being the forever Optimist in people being kind to each other and not making it personal.

Actually....that is the easy part.  I talk to OBD members every day and these are all GOOD PEOPLE, who want the same protections from the mean posters that I want.  

And it really isn't true about the half of 1% of posts being deleted....it is actually much less, (at least lately) even with all the activity.  Why?  Because we have a ton of GOOD PEOPLE who come here.  And they reinforce my belief every day.

It is so fun to discuss Our Beloved Ducks with others....disagree completely with some Duck-Buddies, and yet we don't get personal.  Such a blessing!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you Charles.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 11:43 AM, Charles Fischer said:

My friends...I do not like some of what is being written in a forum that is overtly supposed to be "polite and respectful" to one another.

Truly ask yourself when you post... is this something that nice, reasonable people even want to read?

You can write negative stuff (all of which is not only allowed but encouraged) without being disrespectful to those who disagree with you.

Of course when I notify someone about it--on occasion I get what you see in the title....and I don't care.  We will keep this as a GREEN REFUGE from the nastiness of the real world.

One longtime member told me this morning..."you are trying to walk against a strong headwind of society today Charles..."

He is right, but our amount of posting is so high, that I can remove a few culls and we will do just fine.

Remember....just because you do not see any moderation happening--doesn't mean it is not.  This morning a moderator caught a nasty post that had only been up 9 minutes!  This means you don't even have to read the nonsense...and I love that.

Every post is read.  Posts are being deleted every day.  People are being banned every week.  Don't think you are above our rules.

And for the 99.50% who post just fine?  Know that we are taking out the trash and keeping this site clean every hour, every minute.  You are being protected from the Trolls!

And hug a moderator today!  (They are the green posts)

Rant over.

giphy.gif

Newbie here and I wanted to apologize for already unintentionally violating the rules. In regard to attracting a coach to Oregon, I made comment regarding some of the severe social (aka. political) issues going on in Oregon. While I believe the comments were relevant and factual, until later, I did not realize they were in violation of policy. I appreciate and understand why you have the policy and will do better going forward.

I'm certainly enjoying what you have created here. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2021 at 1:18 PM, Desert Duck said:

While I believe the comments were relevant and factual, until later, I did not realize they were in violation of policy.

Yep, the accuracy is never the issue; the problem is the terrible site meltdowns that have occurred in the past here, and other sites due to the responses to those facts that quickly escalate.  People can discuss politics everywhere else, but not here.

There is the other element people forget; I do not want to know someone's politics, as it will later jade my view of their opinions about the Ducks.  So, the less we know about each other in terms of politics, the better.

And thank you Desert Duck, and I look forward to your always interesting posts!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2021 at 12:03 PM, deschutesduck said:

I've often stopped reading the comments on other sites

Me too.  It is so refreshing on OBD to not have to sort through the nonsense to get to good posts.  At OBD...we have a ton of very savvy people, and I love to read their takes.

Just so you all know?  Part of my strategy from the beginning (just over two months ago is all) was to structure this for the enjoyment and ease of the reader.  Over 75% of those who come here, come to just read posts, hence I want to serve them well.  And the other 25% that post their opinions?  They read too!

Thus why I have anal rules about paragraph or reading spaces after every three lines of text and tightening up the bottom of your post.  It is all designed for the ease of the reader buzzing through posts.

No other forum does this or cares.  I am effectively taking my 24 years of experience of being on forums, and taking the publishing knowledge I acquired from FishDuck over the last decade and applying it to a forum.  Again, something not done anywhere else...

And thank you deschutesduck, as I love your posts and really appreciate you posting news articles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Res ipsa loquitur. The thing, this forum, speaks for itself. It is unique. A place where folks can disagree without being disagreeable. Thank you Mr. FishDuck.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

I will do my best. If someone gets political... I will probably get banned. Oh well 

On 12/8/2021 at 1:50 PM, Log Haulin said:

I will do my best. If someone gets political... I will probably get banned. Oh well 

If you see something political...report it, and we will hide it from public view immediately.  You won't have to read it for long!  Just let us know...

Mr. FishDuck

We are all adults here and MEN and WOMEN, not girls and boys. Let's act like it. Happy holidays to all.

Political on HERE, Really?   Chip had "WTD"!  What The Duck?  Sorry, that was supposed to be Win The Day.  Slick Willie had "Doing Something, Just not here."  Mario had "Top 10 Recruiting, what more do you want?"  The next hire will be "Better here than PDX" or something like that.  Too much?  Smart azz need not apply.

scrooge mcduck GIF

At what price is Oregon willing to pay its next Head Coach?

FWIW:

My Father and younger brother were on the opposite ends of the political spectrum. We found no commonality only anger .. . ..

My Father was a special man. My baby brother grew to become a fine man and community leader....

However we found commonality in sports, all sports. Each opinion or view point was welcome. No harsh words or anger. Simply expression of what we felt as a game unfolded.

I miss my departed Father but baby brother and I still talk sports. Though 800 mile apart. All the family has joined in because it was safe to express your opinion.

I found a safe haven when I discovered this forum. My posts are way to long, my opinions antiquated  and often, boring. But I feel safe.... I will always do my best to support all posts as long as you follow my Mother's Golden Rule......

If you don't have something nice to say about a person, don't say it at all.

Dad simplified it. .. Son you might want to rethink what you just said 

Charles, moderators, writers, posters and readers......thanks and Happy Holidays.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for everything Charles.  You have created something special here and it’s appreciated.

I’ve always just read posts and never participated until I found this site and it’s because of you and the moderators.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to say, nobody is forcing anybody to read any posts.  I know that I skip over posts by people I know I don't agree with.  Why choose to get angry?