FishDuck Article

An Ideal Candidate to Replace Mario Cristobal

Regardless of how head coach Mario Cristobal made his exit from Oregon, the entrance he made we cannot forget. Recruiting some of the most talented players in team history will create monumental waves rippling far past 2021, and continue to contribute to a team culture that creates expectation of great skill entering the program for years to come. Now, the ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I think Rhule is a good candidate.  But, how long can we wait before our whole recruiting class blows up.  Understand MC leaving, but bad timing for Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 3

Reports were saying that they wanted to announce a new coach by Friday?

On 12/9/2021 at 3:44 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Reports were saying that they wanted to announce a new coach by Friday?

That seems the latest it can go, dragging this through the weekend would be bad at all levels. 

Great catch, and well written. Just shows there are plenty of great candidates, it is just many of them are busy. This is the second time in a row we have had our coach leave at such an inopportune time, with recruiting now on the line.  

Alabama did wait until January to sign Saban, back in the day. Saban signed a $4 million a year contract, highest paid coach pro or college at the time. The tide waited and went big.

Interesting side note Joey Harrington almost ruined Alabama's plans. He had a run with the Dophins that season, but was mysteriously benched, and the Dolphins season tanked. Saban got his only losing season and Joey again got the short end of an opportunity in the NFL. Not sure that is exactly how it occurred, but works for me, love Joey!

The same scenario would have to play out now, it would seem.  There are plenty of rumors, could this be brewing underneath all the 'breaking news?'

• Thumbs Up 1

Waiting for the right coach is better than settling. Settling can tank the program for years.

Mullens has stated he is not being driven as much by dates.

• Thumbs Up 6

Guest KingT

Kellen Moore Dallas (Ex Boise St) - he's the guy...

I am thinking:

HC- Mariota

OC- Barner

RB- LaMike 

OL- Kyle Long 

WR- Jeff Maehl 

DC- Michael Clay

LB- Kiko Alonso

Special Teams- Cliff Harris

Who did I miss? 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Harris would likely 'smoke em all'

Not sure about that one.

DAT maybe?

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2021 at 7:42 AM, ColoradoDuck said:

I am thinking:

HC- Mariota

OC- Barner

RB- LaMike 

OL- Kyle Long 

WR- Jeff Maehl 

DC- Michael Clay

LB- Kiko Alonso

Special Teams- Cliff Harris

Who did I miss? 

The Fishduck staff as head coach by committee, we are never wrong! Mariota is still under contract too.

I mean we have diagnosed and solved just about every problem the Athletic Department has ever had, right?

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/9/2021 at 9:34 AM, nw777b said:

Waiting for the right coach is better than settling. Settling can tank the program for years.

Mullens has stated he is not being driven as much by dates.

Mullens got juked by Mario who ran by him and scored. Mullens failed by not having a contract signed at least 30 days before early signing. He blew it by not having advanced contingency actions underway for the "what if" scenarios.

Is this his Strike 2. Strike 3, or just another foul ball? This hire must be a home run.

Excellence? Or mediocrity?

And, oh by the way, the next HC needs to be strong, admired, connected, and respected enough to bring a great OC, DC, and staff along quickly.

Edited by Notalot
  • Thumbs Up 2

I’ve been depressed for days now. 

I don’t want Kiffin, Chip, Wilcox, and am not sure any of the other possible candidates would even be better/right for us.  I like Petersen, but doubt that is viable on either end.

I don’t envy what Mullens is trying to do, and not sure what direction he is trending towards….

A quick hire, but possibly a weak choice, to hopefully staunch the bleeding?

or

A slow hire to hopefully bring in the best long-term/strongest coach, at the cost of the continued horrendous loss of recruits and transfers?

I haven’t been this uncertain for our program since the early rumblings of the infamous Willie Lyles rumors started to gain traction.

Every hour now, I watch this nightmare continuing to unfold with deepening dread.

Charles once reminded us, in regards to when how horrible we performed twice against Utah, that we would get through that sort of thing because we had seen worse times.

I know how resilient Oregon is and that we will get ultimately get through this.

This forum is helping me do that.  Thanks.

Edited by 81DuckAlum
  • Like 1

I have always said you are either acting or reacting. Mullens is a reactor, not an actor. It seems quite evident all Mullens was doing was handing the contract offer to Cristobal with no fallback plan. We need an actor, somebody who can lead on this choice, and Mullens isn't that guy.

My hope, and I think it is true, is this is too important for Mullens to really be making the decision. He is talking to people, but the choice will be handed to him.  It will certainly be vetted by someone other than Mullens, when the time comes.

I am comfortable this choice may make some people unhappy, but no choice should make everyone happy. If that happens I will be worried. We will have our next great coach, and the important thing is we will all be happier in the end, Go Ducks.

Unknown-1.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I read that Rhule dumped Brady because Brady wanted to pass more and Rhule wanted to run more.....I'll take Brady.

Can't wait on this hire... its the nature of the new coaching carousel. There will be lots of potential candidates for any number of reasons in a month. But the early signing period is next week and so far Oregon has done well in only losing 4 commitments, I was expecting a flood here. Also Oregon hasn't lost anyone to the transfer portal, YET! However, it is only a matter of time until the flood gates open and the only way to stop that is to get the new HC in soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if Mullens and crew talked with the team and recruits and told them they were in serious talks with some A tier coaches but due to being A tier, they are committed to their current teams into January either because of playoffs, NY6 bowls or NFL.  This will delay an announcement but keep us on track towards returning to championship contention.

Seems like straight shooting like that could keep the bulk of the team and recruiting class together and set up long term success. I think the right hire is more important than a quick hire.

• Thumbs Up 1

Turned around Temple and did a good job with a sanctioned Baylor. Where did he coach before Temple? Does he have any ties at all to the west? Why could he and Brody who was a big time hire at the time, not fit?

IMO, the perfect candidate is Lane Kiffin.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:43 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Where did he coach before Temple?

Among other stops, Rhule was the D-Line Coach at UCLA in 2001

• Thumbs Up 1

Aranda grew up in LA, so there is a definite connection... How strong remains to be seen, assuming the Ducks choose to pursue him.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, RkyMtnGuy said:

I read that Rhule dumped Brady because Brady wanted to pass more and Rhule wanted to run more.....I'll take Brady.

Tom?

On 12/9/2021 at 3:44 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I was all in on Kiffin until I heard a rant by Big Suke yesterday concerning 2 of Kiffins hires at Ole Miss. One being Lebby. From what Suke said

Lebby was involved in the coverup or just turning his back to it, of all the rape allegations when Art Briles was the coach. I don't remember

the other guys name or what he was involved with. Sukes point was is Kiffin going to hire assistants like those and how does that look to

parents of the kids he's recruiting. This is Sukes opinion none the less if true then I'm not on the Kiffin train anymore.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:58 AM, Notalot said:

Tom?

I'd take Tom over Joe. Does Tom have any eligibility left? He didn't play all that much at Michigan?

On 12/9/2021 at 12:02 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

I was all in on Kiffin until I heard a rant by Big Suke yesterday concerning 2 of Kiffins hires at Ole Miss. One being Lebby. From what Suke said

Lebby was involved in the coverup or just turning his back to it, of all the rape allegations when Art Briles was the coach. I don't remember

the other guys name or what he was involved with. Sukes point was is Kiffin going to hire assistants like those and how does that look to

parents of the kids he's recruiting. This is Sukes opinion none the less if true then I'm not on the Kiffin train anymore.

Lebby is following Venables to Oklahoma. Lebby was investigated by the NCAA and the NCAA found crickets. Big Suke has to fill up his on air time.

On 12/9/2021 at 12:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'd take Tom over Joe. Does Tom have any eligibility left? He didn't play all that much at Michigan?

Graduate transfer for his next act. He has coached the Patriots and now the Bucs - next the Ducks?

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 7:42 AM, ColoradoDuck said:

Who did I miss? 

Washington Recruiting - Kenny Wheaton

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Lebby is following Venables to Oklahoma. Lebby was investigated by the NCAA and the NCAA found crickets. Big Suke has to fill up his on air time.

OK I buy that. Thanks

On 12/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, Haywarduck said:

I have always said you are either acting or reacting. Mullens is a reactor, not an actor

Business admin guys like Mullens tend to be reactors as a result of always having there eye on the bottom line. MC was a safe hire coming off the Willie disaster because the only direction was up, and all that was required of him was to endorse the players’ choice.

But, Mario changed all that, and his legacy may at last force Mullen’s into being an actor because he doesn’t want to see the bottom line fall backward as the result of him not taking the necessary risk on a new HC.

Edited by Washington Waddler
Grammar

On 12/9/2021 at 8:26 AM, David Marsh said:

Also Oregon hasn't lost anyone to the transfer portal, YET!

Kattleman has left via portal....

On 12/9/2021 at 3:58 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Kattleman has left via portal....

And now DJ James

My thoughts (for what they’re worth):

1.)     Oregon is a great HC job.   The facilities, the booster support, the athletic infrastructure, the history, the PAC12, etc. all great attributes.  I still think the PAC12 is a better all-around/overall conference than the SEC (granted that is my bias).

2.)      The next coach.   Someone that will want, would love, to put roots down in Oregon to stay.   Somewhat along the lines of what was here in the past (how the Rich Brooks tree grew long term roots that grew coaches like, Bellotti, Gary Campbell, Jimmy Radcliffe, etc.), somewhat along the lines of what coach Kyle Whittingham has done (is doing) at Utah.  

a.      Someone younger with juice (I don’t want the old guys back necessarily) that can relate to the younger generation (but still be tough on them) and provide long term stability. 

b.      Someone that can teach a quarterback how to play under center when you’re one foot off the goal line.  If you’re grooming these guys to be better and get to the next level (NFL) you need to teach them how to play with a quarterback under center.   I’m fine with the shotgun, just not all the time.

c.      Someone that can coach quarterbacks.  U of O has had a great tradition of producing great quarterbacks… and they all weren’t 5stars.

d.      Recruit, recruit, recruit… we’re used to that here now and know it can be done.   Does it really make a difference?  Only if you know how to coach what you recruit, or scheme to what you’ve recruited.

Of all the coaching names I’ve seen tossed around, I’m not totally enamored with any of them (maybe Chris Peterson just a little tiny bit). I get the interest in Wilcox, Harsin and Sitake.   Although, I don’t think Sitake will leave BYU since that is basically home for him plus, they are moving to a power 5 conference.   I don’t think Chip should come back, he left once already and I think is fine at UCLA.  

I’m not a football coach or football savant by any means but, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express once. 

So, my rhetoric is me as an Oregonian venting about Oregon football for the moment.   I'd like to see someone that likes living in Oregon, and everything it offers, as much as I do...  yeah, pipe dream probably. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1