DrJacksPlaidPants

Another Decommit

But Banks is holding off until February to commit. Maybe with the right hire Banks and other de-commits can be salvaged. But we are closing in on early signing day.

Anyone else think that we may have had the wrong Culture going at Oregon.  Coaches and recruits that believe in a Coach and not the School, what kind of message is Oregon selling?  Maybe, we should think about that as Oregon is looking at its next hire.  Altman, Graves and Lombardi have had some issues but I do not see anyone with "Down with Coach Signs" when there seems to be some struggle.

I am OK with some leaving because the coach(s) are gone, it's about chemistry, fit to an idea, scheme.  A lot of athletes are told how they are seen in a system and sold by the coaches on an idea.  The only REAL success I have seen, IMHO, has been elite athletes that knew what they wanted and Did the work themselves.  Penei, KT, Brady Breeze, Justin Herbert, although I have seen Dorlus and DJ Johnson step up, like Nobodies Business.  The Front six of the Defense, DL and LB groups have been well coached.  Hate the idea of losing those two coaches.

• Thumbs Up 1

His brother Eli’Jah is at USC.  

He has to take another look at his options.

Best of luck to the young man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure hate to go backwards with the recruiting but understandable to me that some of these recruits are disappointed. MC has the gift of gab and his pitches must have painted a rosy picture of the future. What sounded like a coach fully committed to winning a NC at Oregon turns out really be closer to the pitch of a used car salesman selling a 2005 Kia Rio.

On a side note my SC friends down here in LA sure feel like the tables have turned. I probably had it coming as I have been highlighting the recruiting disparities between the Ducks and Trojans for the last several months. Now they get an A+ coaching hire and we are TBD. Ouch!

Hate to see Oregonian players decommit more than anything. His brother Lamar was a great and loyal Duck. 

This one hurts and honestly I am really surprised. He will end up at USC I am nearly certain of it.

On 12/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Coaches and recruits that believe in a Coach and not the School, what kind of message is Oregon selling? 

Look at how fans are losing their minds over the head coaching search and now imagine being a teenager trying to navigate your future which you hope lands you in the NFL.  Also decommitting doesn't mean they won't recommit after a new coach is hired.

Yea, I remember there was some, issues when his brother went to USC.  And I have to give credit to USC for going with a winner in Riley.  Especially since the previous coaches have been quite disappointing.  There is hope at USC.  And we can NOT be the old USC of the North, UDub is taking that title.  No Worries LADuck, when our Winner of a Coach comes in, I expect Battle Royals with USC and it will be Good for the Conference.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Anyone else think that we may have had the wrong Culture going at Oregon.  Coaches and recruits that believe in a Coach and not the School, what kind of message is Oregon selling? 

I look at this the same way as a job.  If you work at Ford and you really like the company but your boss is a complete jerk, are you going to stay there?  No matter how loyal you are to the company, you're probably leaving because you can't stand the person you work for directly.

Same thing with a HC and a position coach.  You're a run-blocking guard - are you going to stick with your commitment if the next guy wants to throw 60 times a game?  You're a traditional nose tackle - are you staying around if the next guy switches from a 3-4 to a 4-3?  And not just play style, but also coaching style and management style.  These factors are all entirely unknown to all the commits and current players.  The current players are at least already invested in the program and the school - for a commit, there's nothing keeping them here, at Oklahoma, LSU, etc.

When they're choosing a school, I'm sure a lot of things factor in - culture, academics (for some), facilities, coaches, location, conference, etc.  If any one of those things changes, it can change the whole picture.  I absolutely don't blame any commits for taking a second look, as they have no clue who they might be playing for for the next 3 - 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was noticing how people said, you stay for the school, not the coach but I do not think that is realistic.  Coaches tell the student and their parents this is what we see with your child.  And they are sold, until the LOI is signed and your child is holding a clipboard, fetching coach coffee.  I could be wrong.  Kind of like what happened to Mycah Pittman, in my view.  The kid balled out his freshman year until he broke his arm, wrist, got hurt.  And I must say, things with WR was such a mess, hardly saw Redd playing(injuries?).  And Yes, he could have handled things better but my own son says stupid stuff makes me wanna send him to a corner and he's 19!

Edited by EzDucksIt
thought of something to add
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, deschutesduck said:

Star Wars GIF

On 12/9/2021 at 1:51 PM, deschutesduck said:

Look at how fans are losing their minds over the head coaching search and now imagine being a teenager trying to navigate your future which you hope lands you in the NFL.  Also decommitting doesn't mean they won't recommit after a new coach is hired.

Any player decommitting right now or entering the transfer portal shouldn't be allowed back. You either want to play for the Ducks or you don't. Anyone trying to weasel their way back in later, tell them to go to Corvallis. 

we'll have to agree to disagree @Warrenton Players aren't recruited by the school they're recruited by the coaches, sold on the system they're running.  Commiting doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, players can change their minds and coaches can revoke a scholarship offer whenever they want anyways.  Until Oregon hires a new head coach it has the direction of a rudderless sailboat.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:04 PM, deschutesduck said:

we'll have to agree to disagree @Warrenton Players aren't recruited by the school they're recruited by the coaches, sold on the system they're running.  Commiting doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, players can change their minds and coaches can revoke a scholarship offer whenever they want anyways.  Until Oregon hires a new head coach it has the direction of a rudderless sailboat.

The way I see it you're committing to the school and the tradition at the school.