30Duck

Cristobal: Did Miami buy the Package without Looking inside?

I'm not going to smile every time Miami loses like I did with FSU and Taggart. Rather, as the L's mount up for the U, I'll just shake my head, and think about all the money they spent to get him.

He did accomplish more, and still has, than Mel Tucker did. But Miami is spending a lot of money, certain that Mario is going to get them back to when the U was a Dynasty.

Besides that he played there, what can they be basing this on? We saw what he could do with recruiting. It wasn't turning Oregon into a Dynasty. 

Can I smile after the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl in El Paso against the WaSt Cougs?

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

So many people in this day and age think it's ALL about recruiting. Cristo-bail proved it's not. 

I would much rather do more with less than less with more.

Miami is in for a harsh reality over the next few years. Talk about sticker shock.

We are actually really fortunate that Mario left as I am certain we were looking at doing less with more for the foreseeable future. I think Mycah Pittman and the other receivers attitudes were an obvious and direct result of less with more.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 2

it kinda felt like target fixation to me, at some point some booster saw he was a top name in coaching and from Miami and started pushing to hire him... avalanche ensued but they never really took the time to sit down and see how painful his games were to watch.  I imagine he'll do well in the ACC but be fired in 3 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

With rising star Tyler Van Dyke at QB, I expect MC’s offense to outperform the 2021 Ducks.  The old question arises however regarding who’s influence prevails as to the HC vs OC.

On 12/9/2021 at 1:00 PM, Orebcker said:

With rising star Tyler Van Dyke at QB, I expect MC’s offense to outperform the 2021 Ducks.  The old question arises however regarding who’s influence prevails as to the HC vs OC.

I hope, that young man gets a chance to play good minutes, otherwise AB will be a seventh year senior brought in by Cristobal, that knows how to lead an offense.  Take that to the bank.

• Haha 1

I suspect that after a couple years of Mario ball, Miami will ask him to be the AD and put to use his best talent: salesmanship. 

The crazy thing is the one thing they don't need help with is, what Mario excels at. They had the #11 rated class before he took over.

So player development, not going to improve. Winning close games or all the games necessary to get into the playoffs, not going to happen. They will win games, and be as happy as we were. 

One of the big questions is will Miami have the money to get top assistants to help Mario? He will need the help he got at Oregon and he may not get it, but he did get the $'s.

Almost every Allstar who signs onto a team knows to make sure there is more money left to help him win. Did Mario make sure there was more money to help make sure they win? The stadium, oh yea!

Like many programs my bet is they starve him until they see if he can win. He then loses and they blame him and look for the next great one, quick fix, crazy.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:19 PM, Haywarduck said:

Like many programs my bet is they starve him until they see if he can win. He then loses and they blame him and look for the next great one, quick fix, crazy.

Frost & Cristobal, a big difference is that Frost was brought back to HIS school after a great season at UCF, and Mario was last seen being bulldozed twice in 3 weeks, by Utah. But both were viewed as saviors to schools hoping that their return would bring the glory days back.

It's cold for Frost now, his golden image has been tarnished, and he didn't cost nearly as much for Nebraska as Cristobal has already cost Miami. 

MC is a very very good coach.  He EXCELS in several important things and they add to the programs, wherever he goes.  What he does not excel at, however is game day coaching, some decision making.   This is not new.  

I expect him to do very well at Miami but it will take time.  I had not thought of HaywardDucks's point regarding Miami already # 11 in recruiting...so this is not a massive improvement for them and HayDuck is spot on there.

I expect the boosters will start wondering if they got their money's worth after year 2.  ( Since a family member through marriage is fronting a ton of this money,  they may not be as impatient as other boosters are. ) Overall, i believe they  will give him some time and we know  MC will not be outworked.    But the one thing that they don't appear to grasp is that he WILL be outcoached repeatedly,  unless there is substantial improvement in that aspect, something we did not see at all.

I do wish him well, and will be cheering for him .   

I personally hate teams who are preseason favorites year and year, and then let their programs down year after year.

We became the program which won the recruiting battle year after year, and let their program down, lost games they shouldn't have, year after year.

I am ok with doing well in recruiting, even really well, but I want to be able to win more than we should. I don't want to be a program which becomes satisfied with winning the recruiting battle, and thinking it will just take time after that, because that is a very long wait.

I hope Mario does well, I just don't see it happening to the extent Miami paid him for. They may win the preseason polls, even the recruiting battles, but on the field he will let the program down, sadly.

Now that Mario is gone, I'm seeing more and more negativity about him as a head coach.  I remember the end of Helfrich's time, and slick Willie's.  I'm pretty sure we're way better off than we were then.

If the covis year is eliminated, Mario has a pretty darn good record.  How many teams would be unhappy with 10-12 wins each year?  Yes, we lost to Stanford this year for various reasons, and were embarassed by Utah twice, but we also won 10 games.  Up until the last game, I thought Mario's game coaching was SLOWLY improving. 

His recruiting was amazing.  I , for one, think we are going to miss him and I think it will be some time before we're back to where we were this season.  I also think the upcoming underwelming coaching hire is going to set us back from the trajectory we were on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we are going to miss him, but the criticism of him was valid before he left, and after. It is just the excitement over the wins has ended. The Duck faithful have been pretty respectful and appreciative, as has Mario.

Bottomline he became a winning coach at Oregon. We became a better program than when he got here, we should both be grateful and are.

The problem we may have going forward is the programs we compete against may not be in chaos anymore and they were this season. Washington has hired a head coach, not an assistant. SC also hired one of the best head coaches in the nation. That is the external headwind we have, and it's growing.

The temporary internal headwind is the coaching hire. I think, like with Mario, we will make somebody better than they were, not worried.  Remember Mario was a very underwhelming hire, another losing coach. The Oregon Duck Football Program is on a trajectory which isn't going to be stalled, just set back. The question everyone is wondering is just how much, who knows. 

I get the angst, he was easy to like and helped us. It is time to move onward and forward, that is our destiny!

Miami swiped the bag with the flames coming out of it, from Oregon's front porch, thinking they struck gold. 

It should be no secret that Mario can't coach a lick.  He has been repeatedly exposed on national TV and outcoached for the greater part of the season by lesser teams.  The only outlier being the Ohio State game.  I can't remember a season, where the Ducks won more close games, by smaller margins, at home.

It should be painfully obvious to anyone who followed the Ducks' games that Mario was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of his depth.  His greatest strength and talent as an elite recruiter, is quickly negated, once he takes the field.