Muskrat

Chip Deserves Another Chance to Recreate the Magic.

But, is he interested?
What have we got to lose?? Any coaching choice is a gamble, but Chip comes in holding a full house. We should have got him last time. Give him another shot!

We’ll never know if he can recreate the magic unless we do. Take the safe bet and make the fans happy. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He bounced.  He deserves nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

My understanding is he has declined interest. (unofficially anyway)

Chip's full house comes with a joker in a game where jokers don't count.  That joker is his failure to adhere to NCAA recruiting rules when he was at Oregon before.  To me, that gives Chip a losing hand and could cost Oregon a lot of chips.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don’t blame him for leaving for a shot in the NFL. It’s every serious coaches dream. & I suspect he’s learned a lot about recruiting rules the last few years. The other 2 top choices are also carrying jokers and baggage. We know what we’re getting. & He’s no joke!

It’s the safe choice, nothing to loose. Everyone else is a bigger gamble (& I love the Baylor coach & Kiffen might be great, but??????)

On 12/9/2021 at 1:47 PM, Muskrat said:

But, is he interested?
What have we got to lose?? Any coaching choice is a gamble, but Chip comes in holding a full house. We should have got him last time. Give him another shot!

We’ll never know if he can recreate the magic unless we do. Take the safe bet and make the fans happy. 

I will always be grateful for the four years he gave us.

But Chip's time has passed.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm down, so long as his only responsibility is X's and O's. That's his absolute best skill.

Guest KingT
On 12/9/2021 at 1:51 PM, KingT said:

My understanding is he has declined interest. (unofficially anyway)

I correct -- word from Canzano is that it's now a public and formal dialogue.

I see that U of O has asked permission to speak with Chip Kelly 

We need to do something respectable soon, one way or another.

Kelly would be a fine coach for Oregon now... but he will not bring us to the promised land. Chip has shown at every coaching stop that he wants to be comfortable with his staff and he will opt for the familiar rather than push the envelope and find some stronger hires. 

Also Kelly hates recruiting... that is what makes him undesirable in my book. We need someone who can recruit. 

The last time Kelly struck gold and made Oregon such a hot brand that it recruited itself... even then he didn't bring in top 10 classes (depending on the recruiting service he had 1) he brought in top 15 classes and made the most out of 3 star recruits. We sniffed at the National Championship but didn't reach it. 

This time around I see a Kelly run Oregon making the Pac-12 Championship game every few years and some Rose Bowls... I don't see him wanting to recruit hard enough to get us to the National Championship. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Now that we are moving toward the 5th day of the search it makes me wonder even more:

How did Miami and SC make their hires in less than 48 hours of coach supposedly being informed?

Great decisions, great contracts and great searches take time. Well I am just a naive country bumping.

What do I know. I know coach speak BS.

Please no on Kelly......

• Thumbs Up 1

Chip at UCLA has been an interesting experiment. I bet they thought he'd recreate the magic there too. Why would he do anything better now? Has he been holding out on the Bruins? 😁

Guest KingT

Chip did a great job with UCLA given how bad the condition of the team was when he joined. The transfer portal helps him a lot given that he hates recruiting. His pedigree + Oregon would attract a ton of talent and I think they could compete for a National Title asap with the talent on the roster. He would bring the buzz the program needs right now.

I could see things happening like this "I will consider it, if you let me Revive the Three Duckegoes- The Chipster, Helfritos and Frostcheetos, the Blurs prodigal sons.  We shall call it Oregons Chip N Dips.

• Haha 3

Guest Axel

I'm with Muskrat. Chip was the most successful coach in Oregon history. The stars have aligned and now is the time to bring him back. "The game has passed Chip by" is a frequently stated mantra. Nonsense. The man has not forgotten how to coach. Let the era of Chip II begin. 

Well, "most successful coach" Chip had to cheat to do it. 

No Chip. No Kiffan. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:41 PM, KingT said:

The transfer portal helps him a lot given that he hates recruiting.

You can get good players for the transfer portal... occasionally there is even a great player. But most of them are players looking for more playing time at another school. There are very few top tier players in the transfer portal because they play at their college which they are a starter and then make the jump to the NFL. 

Again not all transfer portal players are bad but to get the best potential players out there you have to recruit and then land top tier players out of high school. 

On 12/9/2021 at 2:03 PM, David Marsh said:

You can get good players for the transfer portal... occasionally there is even a great player.

The transfer portal could be likened to a pre-certified used vehicle!! 😁

On 12/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, DimpleDucks said:

The transfer portal could be likened to a pre-certified used vehicle!! 😁

Lemon Laws Apply?

• Haha 1

UCLA for 2021 had more PTS, PTS/G, YDS/G, passing yrds and rushing yrds than Oregon did. All with transfers and lower ranked players than

Oregon. D was the issue. Azzinaro did him no favors. 

Edited by GODUCKS15

On 12/9/2021 at 1:38 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

How did Miami and SC make their hires in less than 48 hours of coach supposedly being informed?

Oregon us 'reacting'. These other schools were looking at HC's at established programs AND already had coaches on the out's. We didn't. We thought all was good.

I looked on Craigslist and could not find anybody of value, that link is not as reliable as it used to be.  Just sayn.  Fickle kids.

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 2:30 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

D was the issue. Azzinaro did him no favors. 

I've wondered about this because Azzinaro was good here. If I remember correctly, he started out at Oregon as the defensive line coach while Allioti was the DC? As DC at UCLA, maybe he doesn't resonate as much with all the players. Plus, he seemed to demand a lot of his players and maybe they don't take to the same kind of instruction as they did at UO. Just pondering...

On 12/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, David Marsh said:

The last time Kelly struck gold and made Oregon such a hot brand that it recruited itself... even then he didn't bring in top 10 classes (depending on the recruiting service he had 1) he brought in top 15 classes and made the most out of 3 star recruits. We sniffed at the National Championship but didn't reach it. 

I'm not advocating for Chip's return, although I wouldn't necessarily be against it, but I do think Chip deserves much more credit for recruiting than he gets.

I'd suggest the exciting, fast-paced style of play that Chip employed and the success we saw under his leadership paid dividends years later when kids who grew up watching his teams, became recruits themselves. 

How many of Mario's recruits said it was their dream to be Ducks? Many! Well I'd contend that those dreams were shaped by Chip, not Mario.

Conversely, I'd say that Mario's style of play would've hurt us down the road. I don't think it would've produced a NC. And I'm certain kids viewing it from a far wouldn't have had their dreams shaped by watching it. 

My thoughts anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/9/2021 at 2:35 PM, DimpleDucks said:

I've wondered about this because Azzinaro was good here. If I remember correctly, he started out at Oregon as the defensive line coach while Allioti was the DC? As DC at UCLA, maybe he doesn't resonate as much with all the players. Plus, he seemed to demand a lot of his players and maybe they don't take to the same kind of instruction as they did at UO. Just pondering...

My thinking as well.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:35 PM, OregonRich said:

I'm not advocating for Chip's return, although I wouldn't necessarily be against it, but I do think Chip deserves much more credit for recruiting than he gets.

I'd suggest the exciting, fast-paced style of play that Chip employed and the success we saw under his leadership paid dividends years later when kids who grew up watching his teams, became recruits themselves. 

How many of Mario's recruits said it was their dream to be Ducks? Many! Well I'd contend that those dreams were shaped by Chip, not Mario.

Conversely, I'd say that Mario's style of play would've hurt us down the road. I don't think it would've produced a NC. And I'm certain kids viewing it from a far wouldn't have had their dreams shaped by watching it. 

I think this is very true. Also, look around and watch all the teams using some version of tempo, RPO and switching players in and out and I think much of that can be at least partly due to Chip. He was doing some recruiting by proxy!

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually... now that I am thinking about it, I think the sign that Oregon is interviewing Wilcox and Kelly today means the process is almost over. Oregon knows Kelly and his limitations at this point. Wilcox is young and may be a good coach for Oregon down the road but Uncle Phil doesn't have time to waste waiting on Wilcox. 

So why is Oregon interviewing these two? Well... I am guessing like everything else... but it feels to me that these two interviews may have been potentially so late in the process because they weren't considering them for the job. However, not interviewing them burns a bridge that just isn't worth doing. Interview them, hear them out, and then make the hire. 

Or... everyone involved in the hiring process is incompetent and they are the only choices left... but I don't think that is the case right now. If we are still at the same point a week from now then I'll change my tune on that one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

According to the Oregonian and apparently the Register Guard confirmed, the U fo O asked permission to speak to Kelly and Wilcox.

Does a college/university have to ask permission to speak to coaches in the NFL?

One thing Chip did at Oregon, better than any coach I know of, was get his players in physical condition to withstand the rigors of a 12 game season plus post season.  One of the things that detracted from our season ending play this year, in my opinion, was that our players were exhausted.  Yes, they revived for the first part of the Beaver game.  But the injuries and being tired took a toll in the Utah games.

Chip was able to get the Eagles to buy into his conditioning regimen for one year, and it worked well.  But the pro players were not willing to work as hard as he demanded.

As I have said before, if the Ducks hire him they need to dedicate a compliance person to football recruiting.  And, they need recruiters with the abilities of Helfrich and Aliotti, guys who were willing to put in the long hours it takes to find not only the diamonds in the rough, like Marcus, but also convince the big linemen that this is a place to start an NFL career, which it is.

All Chip has to do is be the closer, and a script can be written for that part and played out on Zoom while and assistant is with the recruit in his living room, Chip on the smart TV.  I can hear him telling the parents, "Your son will be in the best physical condition ever, and he will enjoy the work that takes because it will make him a better player.  That leads to winning the day, every day.  And wining the day leads to winning football games."

Oregon has lots of advantages that UCLA does not.  Yes, Autzen is a better place to play than the Rose Bowl stadium.  All of the facilities are first class, and constantly being improved.  Nike and Phil and Penny Knight.  And, we have a history of putting players in the NFL.  

While I am not in favor of hiring Chip because of what he did here before when he broke the NCAA rules, I can see which way the wind is blowing.  I expect to hear about the rerun tomorrow.  Hope it works.  At least the offense will not be boring or predictable.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 2:41 PM, David Marsh said:

Uncle Phil doesn't have time to waste waiting on Wilcox. 

Easy now, there, Whippersnapper*. Eightythree is the new 50. He's got plenty of time. 

*Meant in complete jest. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I sure hope not

On 12/9/2021 at 2:41 PM, David Marsh said:

Or... everyone involved in the hiring process is incompetent and they are the only choices left...

Well, one could make an argument that the past three hires have included some level of incompetence. Might have something to do with owner influence. 

Rich Brooks        18 years          91   wins -   109 losses - 4 Ties      .456% winning

Mike Bellotti       14 years       116    wins -     55 losses                    .678% winning

Chip Kelly              4 years         46    wins -       7 losses                    .868% winning

Mark Helfrich       4 years         37    wins -     16 losses                    .698% winning

Willie Taggart       1 year             7    wins -       5 losses                    .583% winning

Mario Cristobal    4 years        35    wins -     13 losses                    .729% winning

Chip may have left for a bigger dream but the guy could lead a winning program.  There was enough in the tank, players coached and influenced by Kelly, to guide Helf and Frost for the next two years.  It is obvious that Chip and Helf, to some extent Frost benefited from the coaching continuity of the log term coaches on staff.  Plus of the next man up in coaching until that became depleted.  The loss of Allioti and Frost were big negatives in my opinion and Helf was not up to the task of fixing that and restocking the recruiting cupboards.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Helf’s offenses continued to improve.  Defense and QB development went from Excellent to WTH!? In 18 months.

Chip was once a great innovator and a heck of a college coach. No longer. The game caught up to him and other coaches are doing what he did and then some. Chip's better than MC though but who isn't? MC is a joke.

Chip's "magic" is what we've seen in UCLA over the past few seasons -- mostly garbage and a lot of losing. That's what Chip would most likely bring to Oregon -- more garbage and more losing. I don't think Chip has even beat Utah once while coaching UCLA.

Plus Chip walked out on us during an NCAA investigation. That's unforgivable.

We need a coach like the guy from Cincy. It's Fickell or bust.

Edited by Warrenton

If I recall, Aliotti(sorry Nick, spelled it wrong in above post), left to coach in the NFL and at UCLA before his return to Oregon.  For what Nick had to coach with he did better than DeRuyter.  Aliotti is a great example of a coach that left Oregon to return and to be as good as if not better than when he left.

Chip is repackaged as in UC in LA, he gained a better perspective of average.  There are people with torches and pitchforkes in Oregon, that think he has not changed.  But it is obvious UC in LA's record, there is a difference between being a Duck and Bruin.  Come on Chip, Duck that Bear.  I love me some Chip with Salsa.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:52 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

One thing Chip did at Oregon, better than any coach I know of, was get his players in physical condition to withstand the rigors of a 12 game season plus post season.  One of the things that detracted from our season ending play this year, in my opinion, was that our players were exhausted.  Yes, they revived for the first part of the Beaver game.  But the injuries and being tired took a toll in the Utah games.

Chip was able to get the Eagles to buy into his conditioning regimen for one year, and it worked well.  But the pro players were not willing to work as hard as he demanded.

As I have said before, if the Ducks hire him they need to dedicate a compliance person to football recruiting.  And, they need recruiters with the abilities of Helfrich and Aliotti, guys who were willing to put in the long hours it takes to find not only the diamonds in the rough, like Marcus, but also convince the big linemen that this is a place to start an NFL career, which it is.

All Chip has to do is be the closer, and a script can be written for that part and played out on Zoom while and assistant is with the recruit in his living room, Chip on the smart TV.  I can hear him telling the parents, "Your son will be in the best physical condition ever, and he will enjoy the work that takes because it will make him a better player.  That leads to winning the day, every day.  And wining the day leads to winning football games."

Oregon has lots of advantages that UCLA does not.  Yes, Autzen is a better place to play than the Rose Bowl stadium.  All of the facilities are first class, and constantly being improved.  Nike and Phil and Penny Knight.  And, we have a history of putting players in the NFL.  

While I am not in favor of hiring Chip because of what he did here before when he broke the NCAA rules, I can see which way the wind is blowing.  I expect to hear about the rerun tomorrow.  Hope it works.  At least the offense will not be boring or predictable.

Aliotti embarrassed himself when he got on Mike Leach's case calling him "low class" for playing his offense hard even though the game vs. Wazzu was over. Aliotti didn't like he had to keep his starters out there because Leach refused to wave the white flag.

I knew Aliotti's coaching days were limited after that and no way he can come back to coaching after coming across as so arrogant.

Edited by Warrenton

Been a few years, but Chip and Phil were still tight enough to sit side by side at the MBB Final Four in Glendale a few years back......and that was well after Chip went pro.  Cost of living up here is close to zero compared with LA, though I heard through a realtor that Chip's house in N Gilham had about five pieces of furniture in it, so maybe that studio condo he has in Westwood is good enough (I'm joking about the condo since I have no idea where he lives, but if it's anything like when he was here, he doesn't spend much time at home as might be said for a lot of head coaches)

The way he left last time I'm really not interested in his coming back. Hopefully Oregon's AD actually considering it as a top priority.

If Oregon can land Chip, Aranda, or O'Brien, I think any one of them gets Oregon in the playoffs in 2 years.  If it wasn't for opening against UGA next season with a brand new QB followed by BYU two weeks later, I'd say they could do it next year.   That said, Oregon could be very scary at the end of the season and a team nobody would want to play with the roster coming back and better game planning and game day coaching.

Philadelphia Eagles.  San Francisco 49ers.  UCLA Bruins.  Three jobs since Oregon.  No magic created.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:21 PM, geoquack said:

Philadelphia Eagles.  San Francisco 49ers.  UCLA Bruins.  Three jobs since Oregon.  No magic created.

The opposite of magic in fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just fired off an email to the athletic department protesting the hiring of Chip Kelly. We need to stop this to save the football program.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel
On 12/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Grandpa Duck, very good post. I've wondered whether all of our injuries this year were a result of insufficient conditioning or just very bad luck.

Re: Chip. Forget about the recruiting, people. Did you learn anything from Utah? It's all about WHAT YOU DO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome Home Chip!!&

Win The Day!!!

Ducks are baaack & Quackin🤩🤩🤩