McDuck

Confirmed: Oregon Intends to Hire Chip Kelly

I wouldn't consider this authoritative.

I just V'urped

At this point... Not sure how much I trust from anyone. Especially outside of the Oregon circle of reporters. 

If we do hire Kelly I can feel my enthusiasm for the program dropping. Nothing like retreading the past to make you feel like a lack of progress. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe just maybe this is isn't for the HC job? Chip comes in as the OC and a HC is announced soon after? One can dream. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:22 PM, greentree said:

Maybe just maybe this is isn't for the HC job? Chip comes in as the OC and a HC is announced soon after? One can dream. 

The 9 mil buyout would be insane for an OC. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I would rather have chip than MC.

• Thumbs Up 8

Pair him with a $2.5M a year DC and OC and I'm in. Chip was a good DC away from beating the Ducks this year. 

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/9/2021 at 5:21 PM, David Marsh said:

Nothing like retreading the past to make you feel like a lack of progress. 

image.jpeg.86846c0cad42afa780c8cb3421627cb0.jpeg

• Haha 2

IMHO

If it's gonna be Chip, give him a three year contract. $10 million a year. Pay his OC and DC big money. Big bonuses for CFP and Natty appearances.

Chip can salvage some of this class, then fill in with the portal.

HE DOES NOT NEED TO RECRUIT.

The players are here now. Just need a few more pieces, good coaching, scheme and pit up 50.

Gives Oregon and CK 3 years to groom new head coach.

Gives PK a potential fast track coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/9/2021 at 5:24 PM, David Marsh said:

The 9 mil buyout would be insane for an OC. 

That would be a high buyout but does it go down after Jan 15? Chip was on the hot seat, maybe UCLA is willing to let him walk and bring on Aranda. 

There have been some interesting hypotheses (anyone else remember some math references in this forum?) regarding all the coach news.

One aspect to leaking out these stories is it may impact recruiting efforts at other schools negatively.  I'm not accusing any AD of doing that intentionally,  but it could be a desirable side effect when the AD is on the positive side.

I know that Im an old fart and mostly think old school but... I think Kids will want to come to a Chip led Oregon Duck football team.

• Thumbs Up 7

Perfect Pick, instant impact, can brings some fantastic assistants, recruiting, and he produces outstanding high scoring QB's.   I love the pick!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:32 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I know that Im an old fart and mostly think old school but... I think Kids will want to come to a Chip led Oregon Duck football team.

To be honest, not too long ago I could not imagine a UCLA or USC coach "stepping down" to Oregon.

Whether he is actually interested or not, Oregon is a step up!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/9/2021 at 5:36 PM, DiscoDuck said:

Perfect Pick, instant impact, can brings some fantastic assistants, recruiting, and he produces outstanding high scoring QB's.   I love the pick!

at this point its just speculation by someone that wants us to pay money to here their story but it certainly isnt the worst pick.

Make no mistake my fellow Duckers --Oregon is a destination these days.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest KingT

With this roster intact, plus a few transfer portals inbound, Chip has this squad in the CFP in two years, max three.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

34BB3FFC-C342-43CD-80E7-B8C278869C9F.jpeg

wow 

Imagine what he could do with TY, Ashford or Butterfield. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This explains why we had 3 defensive players leave (2 decommits, 1 transfer) today. I would expect many more.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

Uncle Phil must have had it with MCs physicality stuff.

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

34BB3FFC-C342-43CD-80E7-B8C278869C9F.jpeg

This is the same click bait article as above. Could be true but will wait and see.

If true, this is really disappointing and a down grade for sure.

This is why I was telling all the MC haters “be careful what you wish for” a month or so ago.

We are losing blue chip recruits left and right. Chip has done next to nothing at UCLA.

Had MC stayed I firmly believe we would have been in the playoff in the 2023 season.

Now we will be 8-4. 😞

Edited by Southwest Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, Log Haulin said:

This is the same click bait article as above. Could be true but will wait and see.

Like I said before. Where there is smoke, there is fire. The Cristobal news started out the same way. Welcome back, Chip…..I guess.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, Southwest Duck said:

If true, this is really disappointing and a down grade for sure.

This is why I was telling all the MC haters “be careful what you wish for” a month or so ago.

We are losing blue chip recruits left and right. Chip has done next to nothing at UCLA.

Had MC stayed I firmly believe we would have been in the playoff in the 2023 season.

Now we will be 8-4. 😞

We’ll need players to be 8-4. The mass exodus has yet to begin. Good thing for the portal.

All I know is the NCAAF becoming farmersonly.com due to all the coach swapping is getting old, fast.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting the "news" has been up and public for an hour and a half yet none of the Oregon insiders are confirming.  I hold out hope it isn't true.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mobilize guys. Email the athletic department and send tweets protesting this. Call in the morning. I just fired off an email. We need to stop the rehiring of Chip Kelly now to save the football program. We'll look just like UCLA over the 5 years if Chip has his way. We'll be another easy game for USC and Utah if Chip comes back like UCLA.

Edited by Warrenton

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:29 PM, greentree said:

That would be a high buyout but does it go down after Jan 15? Chip was on the hot seat, maybe UCLA is willing to let him walk and bring on Aranda. 

In January it's down to 0... But we can't wait till then. There won't be a recruiting class or much if a team left. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:22 PM, greentree said:

Yeah right. And Ryan Day will leave Ohio State to be the HC.

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 6:14 PM, Warrenton said:

Mobilize guys. Email the athletic department and send tweets protesting this. Call in the morning. I just fired off an email. We need to stop the rehiring of Chip Kelly now to save the football program. We'll look just like UCLA over the 5 years if Chip has his way. We'll be another easy game for USC and Utah if Chip comes back like UCLA.

I agree with this 100% 

• Like 1

Guest Axel
On 12/9/2021 at 5:53 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Uncle Phil must have had it with MCs physicality stuff.

I need to rewatch those Oregon games against Utah and admire all that MC physicality.

I say we get behind anything which is done. If a top DC isn't in the cards with this scenario I would be extremely surprised. I think we have to wait for the complete story to unfold. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Everyone freaking out, just think how the Miami guys are going to feel when the Chip led Ducks put up 78 points on Oklahoma in the Alamo Bowl

If history is any kind of indicator, some poor UGA trash talker is going to get his jaw broke directly after the opening game is over.

• Haha 2

If Chip comes back, I would think his recruiting effectiveness would be multiplied by the fact he is now a two-time former NFL head coach. THAT says something to the 4- and 5-star recruits to which he would be talking, and is a GIANT advantage over nearly every other college coach in America. Think it through, people. The man now oozes experience and wisdom.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, toketeeman said:

If Chip comes back, I would think his recruiting effectiveness would be multiplied by the fact he is now a two-time former NFL head coach. THAT says something to the 4- and 5-star recruits to which he would be talking, and is a GIANT advantage over nearly every other college coach in America. Think it through, people. The man now oozes experience and wisdom.

It did nothing for UCLA. A school that Jim Mora consistently recruited top 15 teams to.

• Thumbs Up 2

I keep seeing Trailers of Slick Willie 2 Curse of FSU.  Getting all my VooDoo stuff out of the closet, right now.

• Haha 1

Since CK was only Oregon's HC for one Utah game, his history is limited... But the Ducks won, 31-24, with Jeremiah Masoli at the helm.

Say what you will, but his worst season, in 2009, was a 10-3 (Sound familiar) stinker including the Rose Bowl loss to tOSU.  The Ducks finished ranked #16.

Two out of three of his ensuing seasons ended with one loss, including the much debated Dyer was down debacle.

It's not what I'm hoping for, but if CK is the choice, I'll put on my big boy pants, and cheer on OBD... 'Cause that's what DUCK fans do!

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting tweet from John Canzano

It’s a process… I’m told the next 24-72 hours of this Ducks search could bring a twist. Important to remember we’re viewing hiring process through a keyhole. My read: Door One NFL candidate Mystery college candidate Door Two Justin Wilcox Chip Kelly Kalani Sitake
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 6:46 PM, woundedknees said:

Dyer was down debacle

Two constants in life .... 1)Dyer was down (hey refs, not his leg but the elbow) 2) Kenny Wheaton is going to score

• Haha 4

On 12/9/2021 at 6:34 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

It did nothing for UCLA. A school that Jim Mora consistently recruited top 15 teams to.

That was then. And Mora went 17-19 in his last THREE seasons. Today LA is a massive cesspool for the homeless, and its glitter is now buried under the mud of poverty. Try recruiting into that mess. Today's recruits are not dummies.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:52 PM, Steven A said:

Two constants in life .... 1)Dyer was down (hey refs, not his leg but the elbow) 2) Kenny Wheaton is going to score

3. Jordan Bell can’t block out on free throws.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:59 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

3. Jordan Bell can’t block out on free throws.

This one will hurt forever.

If chip is head coach and we keep losing players, get ready for a half empty, boring Autzen Stadium.

At least the beer 🍻 line will be shorter.