McDuck

Confirmed: Oregon Intends to Hire Chip Kelly

There are plenty of rough areas in Southern Cal for sure but UCLA is in West Los Angeles which is better neighborhood. Also, UCLA is one of the highest ranked Universities in the country. Oregon gets roughly 30,000 applicants each year while UCLA gets well over 100,000. Lots of people want to go there. Plus, average temp in the 70's is a good pull and the campus is nice. Look at Bruin basketball. They have plenty of top notch talent and recruiting at high levels. Oregon does have superior facilities to offer and for many the pull of a true college town is attractive. 

UCLA fans are begging Oregon to do this.  That reveals a lot.

Guest Axel
On 12/9/2021 at 7:14 PM, LADuck said:

There are plenty of rough areas in Southern Cal for sure but UCLA is in West Los Angeles which is better neighborhood. Also, UCLA is one of the highest ranked Universities in the country. Oregon gets roughly 30,000 applicants each year while UCLA gets well over 100,000. Lots of people want to go there. Plus, average temp in the 70's is a good pull and the campus is nice. Look at Bruin basketball. They have plenty of top notch talent and recruiting at high levels. Oregon does have superior facilities to offer and for many the pull of a true college town is attractive. 

UCLA suffers from the fact that it has no football stadium on campus. The Rose Bowl is practically a light year away from Westwood; the venue doesn't really work for regular-season football. That's ironic, because attending a Rose Bowl game is one of the grandest college-football experiences.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, Axel said:

UCLA suffers from the fact that it has no football stadium on campus.

Which just reaffirms that UCLA is, and always will be, a Basketball school. 

Hopefully the Bruin fans will prove to be inept prognosticators!

UCLA suffers just because.........

Thats a good thing.

• Haha 1

Guest Axel

According to sportswriter Emily Van Buskirk, Phil Knight wants Chip Kelly, and Kelly wants to return. However, some high-profile donors are lobbying for Justin Wilcox.

Barring an unforeseen dark-horse candidate who emerges at the 11th hour, I think Kelly will be the next Ducks coach.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:12 PM, Axel said:

According to sportswriter Emily Van Buskirk, Phil Knight wants Chip Kelly, and Kelly wants to return. However, some high-profile donors are lobbying for Justin Wilcox.

Barring an unforeseen dark-horse candidate who emerges at the 11th hour, I think Kelly will be the next Ducks coach.

Looks like she walked it back a bit...

20211209_204651.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Im guessing that whatever Phil wants the Ducks get

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Remember when Chip Kelly would scream and yell at fans behind him while doing interviews after games. At least we have that to look forward to again.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:08 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

There is evidence this is not the case:

Tom Izzo then 39 days of rejections until Altman

Everybody in 2016 before Willie’s name surfaced.

Mario- December 2021

Wish it were not so, but it appears it is happening again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm genuinely confused by the folks that hate the idea of CK being the coach because they don't think he can recruit or be an effective coach.  Yet many of the same people are hopeful that Wilcox gets the gig.  In case you forgot, one guy was a field goal away from winning a NC, the other coached his defense to take Oregon's QB out of the game.  

I personally could not care less that Wilcox played at Oregon.  He's been below average as a recruiter and coach so what makes anyone believe it wouldn't be more of the same if he's at Oregon.  

It seems like folks want a Hallmark movie ending where all former Oregon players come back "home" for Christmas and coach the Ducks....then we all live happily ever after.  I guess if being excited to qualify for a bowl game every 3rd year is "happily ever after" then go nuts.

• Thumbs Up 4

I know it's ultimately Phil's decision, but I wish he would at least consider what the fans want before making choices that are so huge for the program.

C'mon Uncle Phil, don't live in the past by going back to Chip Kelly. Listen to us. The fans are the lifeblood of the program.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:08 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

There is evidence this is not the case:

Tom Izzo then 39 days of rejections until Altman

Everybody in 2016 before Willie’s name surfaced.

Mario- December 2021

Wish it were not so, but it appears it is happening again.

Hey, wait----I thought Phil was the life blood of the program? 😉

Have they asked their own Oregon alums who played for Chip?  Many are not fans.  So why would recruits be?

It is reasonably accepted that all 3 in Door 2 have interviewed.  This feels like Plan B with Chip possibly admins early choice and Wilcox maybe Phil’s personal ask to be included per others reporting today.

Akili Smith tweeted today that Door 1 includes Dan Lanning (Georgia DC) as having already interviewed.

That leaves NFL mystery man as 5th interview. I don’t think UO culture would stand Urban Meyers’s known baggage.

And isn’t UO required to interview a minimum of 5 people per open job?

I heard that UCLA has offered chip an extension now. Probably a good amount of the smoke today was made to get UCLA to to work to get an extension out for Kelly. 

I'll try and find the tweet/link ... But that also makes a lot of sense. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, Canzani is hinting Urban Meyer.  Urban deserves a 2nd chance just like Sark and he is a terrific coach, look at what his team did recently to Buffalo.    Feels like Urban now.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:27 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

IMHO

If it's gonna be Chip, give him a three year contract. $10 million a year. Pay his OC and DC big money. Big bonuses for CFP and Natty appearances.

Chip can salvage some of this class, then fill in with the portal.

HE DOES NOT NEED TO RECRUIT.

The players are here now. Just need a few more pieces, good coaching, scheme and pit up 50.

Gives Oregon and CK 3 years to groom new head coach.

Gives PK a potential fast track coach.

Get a defense super recruiter and a special teams wizard and expect to replace everyone in 3 years, as you said HTBAD this won't be a long term gig 

On 12/9/2021 at 9:31 PM, Warrenton said:

Remember when Chip Kelly would scream and yell at fans behind him while doing interviews after games. At least we have that to look forward to again.

He defended Erin Andrews to the point that I thought they were going to hook up!

• Haha 2