Duckman

Still Not Convinced Chip Is Coming Back, But...

He is still clearly an elite offensive coach.  I have no doubts the Ducks would be *fun* again if he is HC.  However, I have major concerns about his ability to hire top-notch coaches, specifically on defense, and his ability to recruit.

So if he is hired back, why not include contract incentives for defense and recruiting rankings?  And, while we are at it, why not include a massive claw back if he gets the Ducks in trouble with the NCAA again?

If UO hires Kelly than UW hired a guy, DeBoer, who defeated Kelly in LA this season and took the Ducks into the 4th Q at Autzen.

If Mullens hires Kelly it means he could not bring in a top drawer candidate. What is Kelly's record in the pros and at UCLA? BAD! Kelly inherited a tremendous group of assistant coaches at UO and ran a system that was once revolutionary. Since? He has stunk it up. All of a sudden Kelly is going to get fired up about recruiting?

Colorado State just hired Jay Norvell from Nevada. IMO, Norvell would be a better hire than Kelly. 

IMO, this hire, if it happens, will be an Epic Fail on the part of Mullens. 2 of the 3 main challengers to Oregon in the conference will have made better coaching hires.

• Thumbs Up 3

According to ESPN -Oregon is making a PUSH to bring back Kelly.  Whats a Push?  Sounds kind of serious to me but time will tell.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:38 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

According to ESPN -Oregon is making a PUSH to bring back Kelly.  Whats a Push?  Sounds kind of serious to me but time will tell.

Who knows--ESPN just hears that UO is interviewing CK and says they are "pushing" to bring him back. They could just as easily say interviewing Kelly is a cover for talking with someone else. In other words, I don't think ESPN knows any more than we do. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

JJ,

I have a hard time thinking of the UW guy being a Duck.  Can you see it on ESPN, Welcome to tonights game with Kellys Bruins vs DeBoerings Ducks, snooze at eleven.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:47 AM, EzDucksIt said:

JJ,

I have a hard time thinking of the UW guy being a Duck.  Can you see it on ESPN, Welcome to tonights game with Kellys Bruins vs DeBoerings Ducks, snooze at eleven.

I did not and do not advocate OR hiring DeBoer. But is is a fact that DeBoer defeated Kelly this season and came damn close to defeating Oregon.

JJ,

I know how you feel about Chip, I was just poking the bear, making a joke, Too early on Friday, sorry if I offended you.  I trust Oregon, will get the hire right and we can enjoy, some Football Offense for all the talent, still on the team.  But even though his team was stout, it should not have even been close with the talent and coaching we should have had.  It is amazing, how much credit a coach is given for barely winning and not judged on the quality of the win.  By the way, I get why you used him as an example, it is justified, he almost pulled it off, that is why Riley will be great for USC.

Think in gambling terms: 

Q) Is Oregon going to bring back Chip Kelly?

A) Worst case scenario, It's a PUSH.

Media Click Bait, based on said response:

OREGON PUSHING TO HIRE CHIP!!!

One of the definitions put forth in Webster's Dictionary:

2: a time for action : EMERGENCY

Not sure we are there, yet!

On 12/10/2021 at 8:38 AM, Jon Joseph said:

IMO, this hire, if it happens, will be an Epic Fail on the part of Mullens.

I Agree.  I still do not believe Chip will be the hire.  Rather, I believe Mullens is being methodical about the coaching search and interview process.  Wilcox, Sitake, and Chip deserve interviews but are more likely potential fallbacks.  This process proved successful when Altman was hired. 

But, it is very different than recent football HC searches.  Miami basically had a list of one and went all in.  And, were extremely sloppy along the way.