Jon Joseph

LET'S GO BOWLING!

I believe the following games will be of interest to Ducks Fans? Unless otherwise noted all games broadcast on ESPN. All times Eastern. All Playoff Committee ranked teams respective bowl game is listed.

12/18 - No. 13 BYU -7 vs UAB - 3:30 PM - ABC - The Cougars are coming to Autzen next season. No team should benefit more from joining the B12 than BYU. It's 'in limbo' status gets BYU a bowl game vs 4L UAB. At 5-0 against the Pac-12 with a W over Utah these Cougs have a case to make for the Rose Bowl, no?

I LIKE BYU -7 WITH SOMETHING TO PROVE.

OREGON STATE -7.5 vs UTAH STATE - 7:30 PM - Hats off to the bowl-returning Beavs who draw Mountain West champ Utah State. This is a tough draw. Utah State mauled San Diego State in the Mountain West champ game.

12/28  - No. 20 HOUSTON +3 vs AUBURN - Noon - Like BYU, these Cougars are also off to the B12. Like BYU today, these Cougars are also ranked in the AP College Basketball top 25. What might have been?

No. 18 NORTH CAROLINA STATE  -1.5 vs UCLA - 8 PM - FOX - Looks like an audition for one of The Alliance conference cross over games? Will Chipper still be the Bruins coach? I certainly hope so.

12/29  - No. 19 CLEMSON +1.5 vs IOWA STATE - 5:45 PM - What a whirl wind for Dabo. No ACC title. No playoff appearance. His AD headed to Miami. His DC headed to Oklahoma. His OC rumored to be the front runner for the UVA job. WOW! Dabo goes against Matt Campbell and a Iowa State team that was given great preseason hopes of making the Final 4. Instead the Cyclones finished 7-5.

I LIKE CLEMSON +1.5.

No. 14 OREGON +4.5 vs. No. 16 OKLAHOMA - 9:15 PM - Bob Stoops is back on the sideline for the Sooners in the battle of The Headless Coachmen. Pac-12's number 2 team draws the B12's number 3 team. Which team wants it more? Which team will show up? Can Oregon, with Mr. T understandably sitting this one out, possibly be able to track down and keep up with Sooners QB Caleb Williams? Will one of the young Ducks QBs finally see the field of play? At some point, will Stoops try an onside kick?

I WOULD NOT TOUCH THIS GAME WITH A TEN CENT BET. 

12/30 - No. 10 MICHIGAN STATE -1 vs PITT - 7PM - Pitt's QB Pickett? A great season throwing the ball. Sparty's pass D? The worst in the B1G.

I LIKE PITT +1.5.

12/31 - No. 17 WAKE FOREST +7 vs No. 25 TEXAS A+M -  11 AM - A+M with the win of the year over No.1 ALABAMA. But another year where the Aggies went 4-4 in the SEC? Heck of a year for the Demon Deacons. But WAKE plays allowance defense.  Everybody scores.

I LIKE A+M -7.

WASHINGTON STATE +2.5 vs MIAMI - Noon CBS - Any Ducks fan not rooting for the Cougs, please go to your room!

ARIZONA STATE +7 vs WISCONSIN - 10:30PM - This game kicks off the first of 5 games that has the Pac-12 playing the B1G or SEC in the  Las Vegas Bowl. 

JANUARY 1, 2022 -

No. 21 ARKANSAS +2.5 vs PENN ST - NOON ESPN2 - The Hogs IMO is the better team.

I LIKE WOO PIG SOOEY and the points.

No. 15 IOWA +2.5 vs N0. 22 KENTUCKY - 1PM ABC - Mark Stoops is staying with Kentucky and this is a statement game for the football Wildcats.

I LIKE STOOPS THE YOUNGEST -2.5.

No. 5. NOTRE DAME -2.5 vs 9 OKLAHOMA STATE - 1PM - Would any team other than the Irish with a 0-1 record versus the top 25, and with the loss coming at home, be ranked this high? I'd bet Iowa State if I was certain the Pokes best RB was playing in this game.

No. 11 UTAH +6.5 vs No. 6 OHIO STATE 5 PM -  This season ending Utah team plays like the Michigan team that just thumped Ohio State. How interested in this game will be the Buckeyes? The Utes will be fired up.

I LIKE UTAH TO HAND tOSU IT'S 2nd PAC-12 LOSS OF THE SEASON.

No. 7 BAYLOR -1.5 vs No. 8 OLE MISS  8:45 PM - I would be most happy if either coach in this game was sitting it out due to a Pacific Northwest change of address? Only reason I am not taking the Rebels and the points.

PLAYOFF GAMES - Being played on New Year's Eve because NYD is on a Saturday and the Rose Bowl has broadcast bragging rights. 

No. 1 ALABAMA -13.5 vs No.4 CINCINNATI - 3:30 PM - Sorry Cincy, but it's going to be difficult walking home in those shattered glass slippers. With Metchie healthy I would have bet the Tide.

No. 2 MICHIGAN +7.5 vs. No. 3 GEORGIA 7:30 PM - I would love it if the Wolverines could find a way to win this game. But Michigan does not have Bama's passing game prowess and I think Smart will be smart enough to play Daniels at QB?  Unfortunately, I think the Dawgs prevail and the Natty will be a rematch of the SEC champ game?

Coach or no, Ducks friends, the games will go on.

• Thanks 1

Jon, I had NO idea that there could be that many Bowls that are actually fun to think about and would be entertaining to watch. Pitt, with QB Pickett, against State, with RB Walker, and absolutely, Go, WSU!

Thanks my friend. Just wanted to chime in with something not coach-hire related. But the new HC is obviously #1 on the Hit List.

• Like 1

Remember back in the day when there were only that many Bowl games, Total!!

On 12/10/2021 at 5:28 PM, 30Duck said:

Remember back in the day when there were only that many Bowl games, Total!!

The Rose, Sugar, Cotton and Orange Bowls. That was it before the Gator Bowl showed up. Now, guy's who coached 6-6 teams are getting a bonus?

On 12/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, Jon Joseph said:

6-6 teams are getting a bonus?

Bowl Eligible is a sign of the times in college football. A Committee picks the 4 teams that play in the only Bowls that matter. The rest are Participation Prizes. 

On 12/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, Jon Joseph said:

No. 14 OREGON +4.5 vs. No. 16 OKLAHOMA - 9:15 PM - Bob Stoops is back on the sideline for the Sooners in the battle of The Headless Coachmen. Pac-12's number 2 team draws the B12's number 3 team. Which team wants it more? Which team will show up? Can Oregon, with Mr. T understandably sitting this one out, possibly be able to track down and keep up with Sooners QB Caleb Williams? Will one of the young Ducks QBs finally see the field of play? At some point, will Stoops try an onside kick?

I WOULD NOT TOUCH THIS GAME WITH A TEN CENT BET. 

CollegeFootballPoll.com says Ducks will lose by more than 4.5, Spread is Oregon 5.69 on their Cosgrove Computer. This site also predicted the 2 Utah Wins.

Participation trophies have been handed out for quite some time now. Reason I quit coaching.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:50 PM, Just Ducky said:

Participation trophies have been handed out for quite some time now. Reason I quit coaching.

Coach. if you 'get this' I wish you had not stopped coaching.

We are all good at something. That's the nature of the beast. To reward mediocrity so ESPN can make bank? I don't get it. Then again, I'm an old guy who once watched CFB when you had to be good, at least, to make a bowl game.

FYI - Notre Dame's leading rusher and its best D player are both going pro and will not play in the Fiesta Bowl.

The bowl opt out list is long and growing. Another reason we need a 12 team playoff sooner rather than later.

If I have one postseason game to recommend, it's BYU -7 vs UAB. The coach has just been granted a long term extension. BYU has a national following and Cougars fans will show up.

Not one BYU player has dropped out of this game. 

BYU took a risk leaving the MW conference, It is about to be rewarded with membership in the B12,  a competitor the Pac-12 could have destroyed.