HawaiiDuck

BREAKING - per Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Georgia DC Dan Lanning to Leave and Become Next Oregon Head Coach

Breaking: Dan Lanning to leave Georgia to become Oregon head coach (ajc.com)

Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning will be named the new head coach at Oregon on Monday, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Lanning and Georgia are negotiating whether the assistant coach will remain with the school through the College Football Playoff. Georgia will face Michigan in a semifinal Dec. 31. The winner of that game will play the winner of the Alabama-Cincinnati game in the other semifinal, the Cotton Bowl, for the national title Jan. 10 in Indianapolis.

Lanning started at Georgia as the outside linebackers coach in 2018 making $325,000 a year. After raising his salary several times as offers came from other schools, most recently the defensive coordinator position at Texas, he made $1.7 million this season.

The Oregon position become open when Mario Cristobal left for Miami earlier this week.

Lanning, who played at William Jewell College in Missouri, also coached at Pittsburgh, Arizona State, Sam Houston State, Alabama (where he was on the same staff as Georgia coach Kirby Smart) and Memphis. He was the inside linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator at Memphis from 2016-17 before coming to Georgia.

As for Georgia’s staff, inside linebackers coach Glenn Schumann holds the title of co-defensive coordinator. Also, former South Carolina coach Will Muschamp is on staff as special-teams coordinator and assists with defensive backs. Muschamp also served as defensive coordinator at Auburn LSU and Texas.

Lanning’s compensation has increased 540% in four years at Georgia.

“I’m forever grateful to coach Smart for giving me the opportunity to coach at the University of Georgia,” Lanning said in August following the pay raise. “It’s always been a dream of mine to coach the elite and to have the opportunity to compete for championships at the highest level. I think Georgia provides that.”

Rewards such as Lanning has received do not come unwarranted. The $1 million of increases Lanning has received over the past two years are listed as “competitive” raises on Georgia’s accounting ledgers. Each came as a result of Lanning being offered work elsewhere.

Mike Norvell, for whom Lanning worked at Memphis, tried to hire him away to Florida State before last season. And new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian took a shot at acquiring Lanning in January.

“It’s competitive, and when you’re at a good program, you’re going to have good opportunities,” the 35-year-old Lanning, who is married and has three sons, said before the season. “But the grass is not always greener, and I learned that from watching coach Smart for several years. You know, being successful where you’re at, opportunities will come.”

Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning (black shirt) is back to oversee the Bulldogs' defensive pursuits for a third season after turning down lucrative offers to leave for Florida State and Texas the past two years.  (Perry McIntyre/UGA)

• Thumbs Up 5

I only have one word for this selection: WHO?

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution would be considered a reliable source.

• Thumbs Up 2

Screen Shot 12-10-21 at 03.50 PM.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, jrw said:

Well, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution would be considered a reliable source.

Another Croc post, Although he would be great as a DC with CHIP

• Thumbs Up 1

UCLA fans right now... "dammit" 😄

I'll have to do a bit of research cause i'm not familiar with him at all but I do like the idea of hiring someone young and apparently rising rapidly.

Good Lord.  Sorry for the click bait, guys.  I figured the AJC was a reliable source.  Live and learn. 

It seems as if the St. Petersburg troll factory is seeking to sow disinformation on the Oregon head coaching search. Don't they have anything worse to do?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, toketeeman said:

WHO?

The timing of this report does not add up….but he is many peoples’ vote for national coordinator of the year 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, HawaiiDuck said:

Good Lord.  Sorry for the click bait, guys.  I figured the AJC was a reliable source.  Live and learn. 

I wouldn't say it's click bait, AJC is a major news paper and the author covers the bulldogs

• Thumbs Up 2

Can Mr. FishDuck moderate the national discussion surrounding the Ducks?  

• Haha 3

Maybe as DC for the incoming offensive minded HC?

I think Charles is already doing Catch and Release.

Keep in mind this is the newspaper that accused Richard Jewell to be the Olympics bomber . . . 

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, HawaiiDuck said:

No sweat.  Can't do any better than that and besides....let's see how this plays out.  And HawaiiDuck?  Thanks for thinking of the community and posting.  Do refresh your computer and note the avatar I created for you... 🤙

And WELCOME!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/10/2021 at 4:00 PM, Pocketchange said:

Not at this time.  I have already submitted his name and credentials to Mullens an PK as Oregon's next Head Coach.Cat Playing GIF

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Until, Mullens sits in front of cameras, I ain't buying the Bridge to "No where" they trying to sell.  All it's doing is causing issues with TRUST.  We have enough of that in Politics and Media already, Do not need no more.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, Pocketchange said:

Quite right.  I have nothing else to do!

• Haha 5

Mr. FishDuck

Who knows if this is true or not but if it is it would be awesome. Keeping teams under twenty alone would win the the Pac 12. Throw in a top notch O Coordinator and the Ducks would be regular playoff contenders.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:03 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

I have already submitted his name and credentials to Mullens an PK as Oregon's next Head Coach

OK....as a Cat GIF aficionado...I laughed out loud, as it is perfect.  Thanks 81DuckAlum!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/10/2021 at 11:58 AM, deschutesduck said:

I wouldn't say it's click bait, AJC is a major news paper and the author covers the bulldogs

Definitely true that the AJC is a major newspaper.  Just a little jumpy after all of the reports, rumors, and innuendo.  The report of a premature hire might be semantics, that they're still working out the details before an official offer or acceptance is made.  Much mahalos

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to parse Matt Prehm's tweet, you could note that he says, "The report of Dan Lanning being hired today...".

One could interpret that as meaning Dan Lanning is being hired, just not today.

Or, maybe Prehm meant to put the "today" after "report", changing the meaning to Lanning not being hired.

Personally, I think it's going to be Woody Hayes.

• Haha 1

Who Knows? Off the wall but if the guy worked for Saban and Smart he has to be able to recruit.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 12:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

No sweat.  Can't do any better than that and besides....let's see how this plays out.  And HawaiiDuck?  Thanks for thinking of the community and posting.  Do refresh your computer and note the avatar I created for you... 🤙

And WELCOME!

Thanks for the support, Charles and especially for the avatar! We LOVE Marcus here in the islands.  His parents came to our UOAA-Hawaii Chapter annual fundraisers a few times along with DeForest's mom.  

Glad to be here, mahalo and aloha!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One GOOD outcome here: there are a LOT of people NATION-WIDE excited about Oregon's coach selection progress  . . . advertising is always a positive thing.

Ducks get NCAA Best Defensive Coach. "Offense Sells Tickets, Defenses Win Championships"   Paul "Bear" Bryant

Eugene becomes Georgia West because he also brings the Georgia Coaching Process and Mentality.    A marvelous pick

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:08 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Who knows if this is true or not but if it is it would be awesome. Keeping teams under twenty alone would win the the Pac 12. Throw in a top notch O Coordinator and the Ducks would be regular playoff contenders.

Thought I saw on a FishDuck post that Lanning had been interviewed for Oregon HC, could have gotten exaggerated by the Urinal Constitution 

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:02 AM, toketeeman said:

Keep in mind this is the newspaper that accused Richard Jewell to be the Olympics bomber . . . 

Have heard it referred to as the Atlanta Urinal Constitution 

Edited by BradPelican82
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

OK....as a Cat GIF aficionado...I laughed out loud, as it is perfect.  Thanks 81DuckAlum!

when you ask for Perfect they give you. . .  Purr Fact

overwhelmed choices GIF

• Haha 1

According to a Crepea "source", no one has been offered the job as of Friday afternoon.

We may just have our Altman hire, well done, if so! Love this, Go Ducks! He checks all the boxes for me! Absolutely brilliant move!!!!!

Also well played, take next years toughest opponents top assistant, nicely done!

5xfsgs.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, deschutesduck said:

UCLA fans right now... "dammit" 😄

I'll have to do a bit of research cause i'm not familiar with him at all but I do like the idea of hiring someone young and apparently rising rapidly.

Another stepping stone job?

• Haha 2

Hmmm . . . Ducks actually playing defense. Why in hell didn't I think of that?

• Haha 3

On 12/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, DUCKED said:

This would be my big concern. No connection, no ties to anything in the PNW, or the entire west coast for that matter. 

He will be looking for a head coach gig in the SEC within a few years.

I like the idea on paper, but the thought of continuing on this carousel just makes me nauseous.

This is what I don't get. Seems as many fans are vehemently against Wilcox a local guy and a Duck, but they are willing to jump on some complete strangers band wagon in an instant. A guy with no head coaching experience....no track record at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, toketeeman said:

I only have one word for this selection: WHO?

He is the #1 NCAA Defense Coach by stats.   He will bring Georgia Coaching System and Mentality to Eugene.  A tremendous pick by AD Mullens and Phil. Brilliant!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:35 PM, DiscoDuck said:

He is the #1 NCAA Defense Coach by stats.

Have you seen the d line guys they can get at Georgia? I think it's more about that then it is about the coach, but what do I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, DUCKED said:

Maybe but just because someone hasn't lived on the west coast before doesn't mean they wouldn't love it here.

With the ass drubbing they took from Bama maybe this could be a possibility for this guy. Don’t know much about him but if you hold the sec teams to less than 1 score a game average, except Bama, I’ll take that. Bring on offensive guru from the west coast that can recruit and I’ll take that even more.

Now we are dreaming.🤔🤔

Hey, he's really good-looking. Doesn't that count?

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, deschutesduck said:

Maybe but just because someone hasn't lived on the west coast before doesn't mean they wouldn't love it here.

I'm originally from NY, but fell in love with the west. I have been living out west since I retired from the military in 1983. So yes! Some easterners do switch.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:48 PM, SoCalDuck said:

I'm originally from NY, but fell in love with the west. I have been living out west since I retired from the military in 1983. So yes! Some easterners do switch.

He is from misery. How hard can it be to impress somebody from a place like that?

I with cartm, I will be devastated if this guy isn't the one!

• Thumbs Up 1

He’s had some Pac12 exposure having spent year on ASU’s staff in 2012.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:50 PM, Haywarduck said:

He is from misery. How hard can it be to impress somebody from a place like that?

From the mule state. Bwahaha.  Good one. 

On 12/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, cartm25 said:

I have no idea what reports to believe, but if the Ducks don't hire this guy that I never heard about before 5 minutes ago, I'm going to be devastated!!

Baby Reaction GIF

I have had a very difficult 70+ hr work week this week. So thanks, got a belly laugh on this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know much about this guy. I did watch full Georgia games a few times this year. Other than the bama game they might have been the best college defense I had ever watched. Maybe we can finally retire the "bend don't break".  I wonder if Noah Sewell will approve.

Regardless whether this is poor reporting (and I suspect it isn't because the ACJ ain't no scrub as the song goes) - and I honestly cannot blame anyone for posting a local, major paper versus the ESPNs who seem almost purpose driven to troll the fan base with the laziest of lazy reporting - I like the thinking if this is how Mullens is approaching the search.

Six reasons for six years of (relative) instability in the program's coaching position:

(1) Lanning has ties to the SEC which means he knows how the award winning sausage gets made. 

(2) He works for Kirby Smart who is admittedly a dogged recruiter. 

(3) Smart has aggressively fought to keep him which, considering the man's defensive pedigree, suggests Lanning probably has a bit more than a clue as to what he is doing. 

(4) He isn't rooted in any particular locale so won't be pining for the (insert your own adjective here) Florida lifestyle (or midwest, etc.). 

(5) He doesn't read as a mercenary (his comment on stability and longevity as high order bits). 

(6) He clearly wants his next job to be as a HC and incubated within a, frankly, really good coaching staff and well run program.

When the people you are (rumored to be) targeting are not being pursued by any other soul in this D1 football world, that might be a signal that you view talent quite different from the crowd.  Whether that different perspective makes you 'not a sheep' with some preternatual ability to see potential and skill nobody else can, or an ad agency's favorite demographic, the impulse buyer watching late night TV,  that is not for me to say.  Lord knows I have no corner on the elite coaching talent evaluation market.

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 3