HawaiiDuck

BREAKING - per Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Georgia DC Dan Lanning to Leave and Become Next Oregon Head Coach

The only thing we can say for sure is that Oregon has been doing a good job of controlling the flow of information out of their offices, no one really knows anything....it's all rumors and conjecture until we hear it directly from Mullens' mouth.

• Thumbs Up 2

The source is credible, if it wasn't they would have taken it down, perhaps it's true but wasn't meant to get out due to UGA recruiting. Article said wont be announced until Monday?

For the sake of speculation though....if Oregon were to go with a first time HC hire, Lanning certainly would be a top candidate.  The game against Alabama not withstanding, Georgia has had an extremely stingy defense this year...allowing only 9.5 ppg this season so far.

It would also at some interesting subplots given that Oregon and Georgia play next season 🤔

Edited by kirklandduck

Premature leak?

On 12/10/2021 at 3:27 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Premature leak?

There are meds for that...

• Haha 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm hearing Lanning all over the place. I really think this is the guy. He fits the bill of a hit it out of the park hire. Georgia's defensive coordinator. Oh my! Wouldn't it be something if they could get Joe Brady as offensive coordinator?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/10/2021 at 3:27 PM, kirklandduck said:

if Oregon were to go with a first time HC hire, Lanning certainly would be a top candidate.

Yes, and as far as Oregon goes, Chip had 0 HC experience, Taggart & Cristobal did.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, toketeeman said:

Keep in mind this is the newspaper that accused Richard Jewell to be the Olympics bomber . . . 

As did almost every media outlet in the nation.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, 30Duck said:

Yes, and as far as Oregon goes, Chip had 0 HC experience, Taggart & Cristobal did.

It would definitely be intriguing to see him come onboard...if Lanning were to mold Oregon to a sub-10 ppg super defense?  Now that would be pretty awesome.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:33 PM, 30Duck said:

Taggart & Cristobal

And overall losing records. If we actually go with another guy with no previous head coaching experience, it would really show that we're not as great a program as most Ducks think we are.

The only issue I really have is with how this thread is titled as if it is, with all certainty,  a done deal. 

I'm strongly considering taking a break from OBD and wait until Mullens has an announcement to make.

My little Duck heart can only get yanked so far so many times. 

I'll be back...probably in 5 minutes!!!! LOL

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, Pocketchange said:

Can Mr. FishDuck moderate the national discussion surrounding the Ducks?  

I agree, the man definitely needs a day-job.

• Haha 3

On 12/10/2021 at 3:37 PM, Desert Duck said:

Taggart & Cristobal

And overall losing records. If we actually go with another guy with no previous head coaching experience, it would really show that we're not as great a program as most Ducks think we are.

Or that the candidate pool we want is really shallow right now.  Oregon's HC search is pretty late in the game right now since the other big programs have already found their guys.  The timing of MC's departure has really hamstrung the search in my opinion.  I don't think it's a huge step down to pick up someone of Lanning's caliber.  He's one of, if not the best assistant coach in the nation right now.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, kirklandduck said:

Or that the candidate pool we want is really shallow right now.  Oregon's HC search is pretty late in the game right now since the other big programs have already found their guys.  The timing of MC's departure has really hamstrung the search in my opinion.  I don't think it's a huge step down to pick up someone of Lanning's caliber.  He's one of, if not the best assistant coach in the nation right now.

Sounds a bit like what we said that last couple times around. Please tell me that we have better management running the show than this.

I can now confirm it he is on his way!

5xg21q.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Finebaum just mentioned something about Lanning to Oregon. He wasn’t definitive though. However, where there’s smoke, there’s fire. 

That said, I live in the Atlantic SE and I’m quite familiar with Dan Lanning. Great recruiter and great defensive mind. This is a total shift from the norm for Oregon (if true), but Duck coaches seem to do well with the support they get from the administration. It’s not splashy, but I hope it’s productive. he has recruiting connections in the SE and Midwest. I hope he keeps Salavea to lock down the West.

Remember, Pete Carroll was a defensive coach and he did quite well. Hopefully, we can get some of those defensive players back who de-committed if this is all true.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 3:42 PM, kirklandduck said:

I don't think it's a huge step down to pick up someone of Lanning's caliber.  He's one of, if not the best assistant coach in the nation right now.

I agree. Given the timing, if this search ends with Lanning I'd call it a spectacular success, 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, Desert Duck said:

Sounds a bit like what we said that last couple times around. Please tell me that we have better management running the show than this.

How do we do that?  When MC announced his departure Lincoln Riley already moved to USC, Brian Kelly to LSU, etc...a lot of dominos already fell leaving Oregon with the scraps.  In the current climate, even BYU is playing hardcore defense by giving a big extension to Sitake.  It's not a normal time right now when it comes to hiring coaches.

Edited by kirklandduck

I’m soooo tired.

I love the defense angle to counter Riley. However, UGA’s pass defense hasn’t been great.

• Thanks 3

On 12/10/2021 at 2:35 PM, C J said:

This would be my big concern. No connection, no ties to anything in the PNW, or the entire west coast for that matter. 

He will be looking for a head coach gig in the SEC within a few years.

I like the idea on paper, but the thought of continuing on this carousel just makes me nauseous.

This is what I don't get. Seems as many fans are vehemently against Wilcox a local guy and a Duck, but they are willing to jump on some complete strangers band wagon in an instant. A guy with no head coaching experience....no track record at all. 

It's almost as if you're saying we should hire a Mario Cristobal, a Mark Helfrich or a Willie Taggart.  Do you see the blue bloods doing that?

USC, LSU and Oklahoma didn't look for those type of coaches.  We are in their league are we not?

Oklahoma went with a guy that took a "stepping stone" away from them.  The game has left Homers behind.  It is strictly an arms race whether we like it or not.

I sure don't like it, but I'm realistic.  Every year for the rest of your life Athletic Directors will have a full Rolodex.  They will attend national coaching conventions.  They will network like they've never networked before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems to be gaining more legitimacy. I think there’s too much smoke to ignore now.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:08 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

UGA’s pass defense hasn’t been great.

Last season they were No.3

• Like 1

We need the tail numbers of Kilkenny's and Knight's jets; track 'em and see if anybody is taking a midnight plane to Georgia.

Edited by jrw
  • Haha 1

Where does his mother live?

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:28 PM, Desert Duck said:

Where does his mother live?

Hillsboro 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good read from a Tulsa World interview with Todd Graham (former ASU HC) regarding Dan Lanning, written when Lanning was a leading candidate for the OU position.

“He’s a champion in every sense of the word,” Graham said. “He’s a phenomenal relationship builder. He’s probably the most passionate coach who has ever worked for me.”

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/ou/dan-lanning-would-be-incredible-fit-and-hire-for-ou-says-todd-graham-who-introduced/article_54fbe734-53b6-11ec-a157-a7278020dbea.html

• Thumbs Up 3

Works for me. 

The DC at Georgia before Lanning was Mel Tucker.

Greatness and weakness emerge early.”

~FishDuck

• Thumbs Up 1

Who better than Lanning to prepare the Ducks to play Georgia in 2022?

• Thumbs Up 3

When was Todd Graham ever a champion?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:06 PM, McDuck said:

Good read from a Tulsa World interview with Todd Graham

Fantastic find McDuckThanks for posting this...and I do want to encourage everyone to bring the news to the thousands in the growing community.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/10/2021 at 5:06 PM, McDuck said:

Good read from a Tulsa World interview with Todd Graham (former ASU HC) regarding Dan Lanning, written when Lanning was a leading candidate for the OU position.

“He’s a champion in every sense of the word,” Graham said. “He’s a phenomenal relationship builder. He’s probably the most passionate coach who has ever worked for me.”

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/ou/dan-lanning-would-be-incredible-fit-and-hire-for-ou-says-todd-graham-who-introduced/article_54fbe734-53b6-11ec-a157-a7278020dbea.html

Great read

On 12/10/2021 at 5:19 PM, Duck1984 said:

The DC at Georgia before Lanning was Mel Tucker.

Greatness and weakness emerge early.”

~FishDuck

I love it when that axiom applies...thanks!

Mr. FishDuck

I go back to work and I always miss the GOOD? stuff. DAGNABITT

Hes a D co???? I hope he knows how to build an offense.

I am very skeptical. 

One thing to remember is that down in Ga,La,Bama they get walk ons the we could never get here.

Plus he aint from round here. 

Sounds like Cristobal and he can coach!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

There are meds for that...

As well as adult  well... you know 

On 12/10/2021 at 7:15 PM, 30Duck said:

Last season they were No.3

They’re good against middling competition. Bama made them look pedestrian.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:34 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

One thing to remember is that down in Ga,La,Bama they get walk ons the we could never get here.

Plus he aint from round here. 

He aint from around the southeast, either. A Kansas City / American Plains boy. And I like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 6:09 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

They’re good against middling competition. Bama made them look pedestrian.

Okay, when Oregon plays Alabama, I'll be concerned, 😀

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:15 PM, 30Duck said:

I'll be beyond pleased!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/10/2021 at 9:15 PM, 30Duck said:

Or USC with Riley’s offense and Cali QB’s who have decided to stay home. But seriously, if Oregon is playing Bama then something good is going on at Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dan's brother is in a twitter spaces chat right now with a lot of oregon fans and some reporters

On 12/10/2021 at 9:23 PM, deschutesduck said:

Dan's brother is in a twitter spaces chat right now with a lot of oregon fans and some reporters

What did Dan's brother have to say?

On 12/10/2021 at 9:35 PM, latracey said:

What did Dan's brother have to say?

i definitely missed quite a bit of it but

He said he was a little skeptical on the rumors as his brother has always told his family before taking a new job and he hasn't heard anything so far.

He thinks it would be a good job and he could see his brother taking it but that's just his own opinion.

He doesn't think his brother has a dream school to coach at.

Dan has a beach house in Florida... 😩

I Would be very surprised if Oregon hires this guy

Gabriel Sewell jumped in, he said Dan was one of Noah's primary recruiters at Georgia and he'd be happy to have him coaching.  He didn't care too much if the HC was a defensive or offensive guy but wanted a balanced team.  He also said he bore no ill will towards Mario, he recognizes this is a business and appreciated how he took care of his sons.

Gabriel and Jackson Powers-Johnson dad both said the sooner a coach is hired the better but I guess that's to be expected.

Dan's brother also mentioned that even though Kirby is a defense guy Dan did all the defensive play calling.

Edited by deschutesduck