HawaiiDuck

BREAKING - per Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Georgia DC Dan Lanning to Leave and Become Next Oregon Head Coach

Atlanta Journal >>> Fentress

• Haha 1

I've heard Dan Lanning's (is that right?) name exactly ZERO times before today. Same with his offensive buddy that is now being bandied about. But I'm sold. Do it!

Other than that I'm an Aranda fan, followed by Fickell, Kiffy and anybody including the Devil who can get me a Natty. I'm sorry, it matters. Probably more because I'm currently drinking. I'd like to say that's because of the current state of my Ducks. But, the simple fact is, I like booze.

I'm onboard with the Chipster if for no other reason than, "I'd thought a school like Stanford could afford a lawn mower." Or, "Who has the hardest job in football?"  Chip:  Nobody, it's a game.

I'm going to bed. Let's all pray that I don't look at this site 50 times tomorrow...........

• Haha 2

I am hearing this sentiment from many people that know football

On 12/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, jrw said:

If you want to parse Matt Prehm's tweet, you could note that he says, "The report of Dan Lanning being hired today...".

One could interpret that as meaning Dan Lanning is being hired, just not today.

Or, maybe Prehm meant to put the "today" after "report", changing the meaning to Lanning not being hired.

Personally, I think it's going to be Woody Hayes.

Did you mean to say, Harreson (some of this stuff is pure comedy)?

Edited by woundedknees

On 12/10/2021 at 4:51 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

Screen Shot 12-10-21 at 03.50 PM.PNG

This is right up there with “Mario has not decided to leave for Miami. He’s still mulling the decision over”. Now we know that Mario’s mind was made up in mid-November.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:19 AM, Warrenton said:

Atlanta Journal >>> Fentress

Fentress would have more credibility if he would quit throwing Helf’s 37-16 record in our faces and saying Oregon overreacted by firing him. Anybody who followed the program could see the team was circling the drain under his leadership..

The 2015 Utah blowout was my first indication that the air was leaking out of the balloon. The Alamo Bowl was bad as well, but the nail in his coffin was 70-21. He should’ve been fired promptly after that game. There was no way to recover the season after that disaster.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:27 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Fentress would have more credibility if he would quit throwing Helf’s 37-16 record in our faces and saying Oregon overreacted by firing him. Anybody who followed the program could see the team was circling the drain under his leadership..

The 2015 Utah blowout was my first indication that the air was leaking out of the balloon. The Alamo Bowl was bad as well, but the nail in his coffin was 70-21. He should’ve been fired promptly after that game. There was no way to recover the season after that disaster.

Horrible games for sure. There's going to be a stinker every once in a while.  A head coach's job is to make darn sure that they're very few and far between. Helfrich's cardinal sins for me were recruits calling him and him not bothering to call them back and not knowing that Justin Herbert was literally living across the street.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:27 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I remember that season and Fentress sticking up Helf. I also remember Fentress getting into Twitter wars with Wazzu fans and Utah fans after those teams beat us telling those fans their team wasn't very good and to stick it. I still think that was kind of strange and unprofessional.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:05 AM, SmithRiverDuck said:

Helfrich's cardinal sins for me

for me it was all the off-field issues. arrests, drugs, domestic violence… that lack of discipline off-field fueled the lack of discipline on the field. and it was just a plain disservice to the kids who needed/wanted strong leadership. 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:27 AM, DR Hilarius said:

and it was just a plain disservice to the kids who needed/wanted strong leadership. 

It was, and I believe the hiring of Helfrich was a disservice to him. Oregon desperately wanted to keep the Kelly train rolling and thought that Helfrich would do it.

In theory that might work, but I feel like it insulated Helfrich. Being the head coach of a top tier program takes everything from a coach, Helfrich was never allowed to embrace the job completely as his, and erosion started and became inevitable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I frame it as a great choice at the time, it did keep the train going almost to a National title.

I also give kudos to Helfrich for trying. It isn't the things in life we do, it is the things we don't do we regret. Helfrich gave it a go, good for him.

It is also evident from the lack of effort on Helfrich's side, trying to become a better head coach, and the lack of interest throughout college football, being a head coach wasn't his thing. 

Great chapter in Oregon Football, but we are on to the next. All the angst and cheering of the past do nothing to change the history or our future, onward!

You know what this entire episode unfortunately proves, you are better off if the existing HC is gone much earlier in the season.

Mullens can see what is happening to this class of recruits. His phone may be ringing off the hook but maybe they were spam calls? He has to have struck out with at least a few candidates.

SC is a glamour job. Otherwise you are taking a job in a conference that produced but 6 bowl teams, is 2 for 8 in playoff appearances, sends fewer guys to the pros every year and plays games on a joke of a network and late at night eastern time.

Call Commissioner Bob Bowlsby!

• Thumbs Up 2