Charles Fischer

It's BACK! Red Chair Baby!

One of my favorite beers, Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale, from the Deschutes Brewery (Official Beer of the Pac-12) is now available!  It is seasonal, from now until April to coincide with Ski Season.  I've been waiting SO LONG for it and I just got my first six-pack tonight coming home from the office.

Now I love Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale, and my go-to is Deschutes Inversion IPA, but when Deschutes Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale is available....that's the one!

image.png

There are SO MANY great craft beers in Oregon...which is YOUR favorite?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/10/2021 at 7:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

One of my favorite beers, Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale, from the Deschutes Brewery (Official Beer of the Pac-12) is now available!  It is seasonal, from now until April to coincide with Ski Season.  I've been waiting SO LONG for it and I just got my first six-pack tonight coming home from the office.

Now I love Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale, and my go-to is Deschutes Inversion IPA, but when Deschutes Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale is available....that's the one!

image.png

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

Found this beer good

Gimme a Brrrrr hoppy red!   
especially this time of year .

Widmer brother brewing 

Be careful though it’ll get ya quick.

7.2% I think 

• Thanks 1

Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery

Fivepine Chocolate Porter from Three Creeks Brewing in Sisters

Heyzeus Mexican style lager from Melvin Brewing in Alpine, Wyoming
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, ICamel said:

Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery

Fivepine Chocolate Porter from Three Creeks Brewing in Sisters

Heyzeus Mexican style lager from Melvin Brewing in Alpine, Wyoming

ICamel, we must share DNA. Black Butte and Five Pines Chocolate Porter are two of my favorites. About a year ago we stopped in at Three Creeks and the had just tapped a special barrel of double Chocolate. I like beer you can eat with a fork. 

Now you've got me curious about Heyzeus. Does somebody in Eugene stock it?

On 12/10/2021 at 8:55 PM, Red Eddy Green said:

Does somebody in Eugene stock it?

Market of Choice on Willakenzie in Eugene is indicated on their "BeerFinder".

BeerFinder

Thanks. I just did the same search. An App called Beerfinder 2000. How cool is that!

Ahh, you rich, successful Oregonians always showing off your connoisseur IPA chops!

My life in Eugene 1981 be like:

After spending too much time in Max’s Tavern, I’d return to my apartment and scour around and pick up all my empty Henry Weinhard bottles, bag em up.

Pedal my 10-speed Peugeot up to Albertsons and trade the empty bottles in for a quart of cheaper stuff. (If it was an especially good night, I got 2 quarts!)

There is only one great Oregon IPA for me, and it was always Henry Weinhard Private Reserve!

image.png.6980ca961abfb374019315f671a4bea6.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-3ZB0Antg

• Thumbs Up 4

When I have to buy beer at the store I like Laurelwood Free Range Red, and recently discovered Caldera Ashland Amber.

But the best beer of all is my own homebrew, a sort of clone of McMennamin's Hammerhead. Mine is a little darker in color and slightly less hoppy.

I call it "Homerhead", and oh, baby... it's soooo good! 🤪

• Thumbs Up 2

Caldera Coconut Porter out of Ashland, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, and Wild River Brewery’s Nut Brown Ale!

Nectar of the Gods!

I enjoy dark, creamy, and sweet beer, and got this as a gift.  Delicious.

077BB1C3-09AC-4471-B6A5-FBD8189DED0D.jpeg

On 12/10/2021 at 11:07 PM, Wood Duck said:

I call it "Homerhead", and oh, baby... it's soooo good!

And where do you live now?  😉

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/11/2021 at 2:19 AM, Duck1984 said:

I enjoy dark, creamy, and sweet beer, and got this as a gift.  Delicious.

077BB1C3-09AC-4471-B6A5-FBD8189DED0D.jpeg

image.thumb.png.1588a5dcda949c391d603b62b9d94683.png

Are you able to get this where you live? It’s a pretty good one as well.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

image.png

I read that as "I drank my first six pack coming home from the office..."

Ha! 

On 12/11/2021 at 5:39 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

image.thumb.png.1588a5dcda949c391d603b62b9d94683.png

Are you able to get this where you live? It’s a pretty good one as well.

Looks good, but I haven’t seen it on the shelves at Costco or Fred Meyer in my area In Vancouver WA or Portland OR.

I enjoy special beer at restaurants or pubs, or when I get gifts.  But I mainly buy Miller for home.  

Mt. Bachelor opening Monday, probably just Little Pine...but the bar will be open too!  29-48" predicted, hopefully they get at least the low end.  It's about 5" deep right now.  Red Chair won't open for a bit probably.  But...as long as the Red Chair Beer is here 🍺!!!  Time to wax the best board on Bachelor

20211211_090005.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Sleigh’r Ninkasi winter ale!!

81 alumni reminded me of one of my favorites. Back when Bend had bumperstickers on their garbage trucks which read, 'California Welcome Wagon.' We had a much better sense of humor back then! Keep drinking local!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, PittDuck said:

Caldera Coconut Porter out of Ashland, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, and Wild River Brewery’s Nut Brown Ale!

Nectar of the Gods!

Yes!  Great to see props here for Wild River (although personally I'd go with their Cave Bear Barley Wine and/or the Russian Imperial Stout).  Love the place in Grants Pass!

On 12/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, Haywarduck said:

81 alumni reminded me of one of my favorites. Back when Bend had bumperstickers on their garbage trucks which read, 'California Welcome Wagon.' We had a much better sense of humor back then! Keep drinking local!

We've been overrun.  I never go out in Bend.  Remember the ODOT guys in the 80s who made a big official green highway sign on the Siskiyou Summit that said "Welcome to Oregon.  Every third Californian will be shot".  They somehow put it up at night.  Supposedly never caught the real culprits

I miss Oregon beers (actually, I miss many American brewers like Avery, Stone, and Wasatch), but fortunately I found a brewery here in Portugal that is the equal of anything I've ever tried in the States.  It's Dois Corvos (Two Crows), started by an American brewmaster, and I am constantly amazed at the variety of styles they have and how good most of them are.  

I'm used to each brewery having 1 - 3 real winners and then a bunch of fairly decent brews, but this place has at least six I've tried that are absolutely world class, including a Mexican chocolate stout, a fantastic porter, and a cream stout brewed with custard tarts (pasteis de nata in local parlance).  Sadly, they're four hours away in Lisbon, but they have free shipping throughout the country even on fairly small orders - just got a mixed case this week!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:12 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Yes!  Great to see props here for Wild River (although personally I'd go with their Cave Bear Barley Wine and/or the Russian Imperial Stout).  Love the place in Grants Pass!

My only complaint about the Nut Brown is they run out of it a lot!

Rogue Ales Hazelnut Brown Nectar is another great dark beer.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, PittDuck said:

My only complaint about the Nut Brown is they run out of it a lot!

Unfortunately I wouldn't know - haven't been back to Wild River in a few years.  Used to love their pizza, too.

Kurt, do they serve it cold or warm in the bars over there?

On 12/10/2021 at 10:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

image.png

Whichever one you are buying for me? Great post.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:25 PM, PittDuck said:

Kurt, do they serve it cold or warm in the bars over there?

I'm not aware of anyone in any country that actually serves warm beer (unless they literally lack cool places and refrigeration).  In places like England, they often cellar their beers, serving them at the cellar temperature, which is commonly around 40 - 55 degrees.  Good beer should not be served ice cold, as it suppresses the taste.  A good IPA should be around 42 - 48 degrees; a good porter or stout probably 50 - 55 degrees.  But it is much less cold than we're used to in the States, which is why people commonly say beer is served warm.  It's really not - just seems that way in comparison.

But to answer your question directly - they serve it cold.  At a good tasting room, they serve it at the proper temperature for the style of beer.  The lighter and weaker the beer, the colder it should be served.

Which is why Bud and Miller should be served somewhere around absolute zero.  🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:42 PM, Marshall Lucky said:

9CF3930C-80B7-4668-9A1D-2F5BF76A4904.jpeg.cde7e7c466e57bf6871cf4a44869988f.jpegGone, but not forgotten 

WHAT?  Did Bridgeport die?

On 12/11/2021 at 5:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

And where do you live now?  😉

About 15 steps from the beer fridge mostly!