Steven A

Canzano's Latest, No Deal In Place Yet

The sources can't even agree.

“He’s not currently the guy,” said one source with direct knowledge of the search.

“Inaccurate,” offered a second.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those who know, don’t talk. Those who talk, don’t know. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Squishy agents blowing smoke

On 12/11/2021 at 11:07 AM, Flyin Vee said:

"Squishy agents" might be the best description ever!!!  😆

Whatever you say, say nothing, when you talk about you know what.

Just like the rest of us Canzano is speculating. 

It bothers me that Wilcox’s name keeps being brought up. He seems like the worst hire out of all of them.  I don’t want to watch cal football at Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 3

WE FAITHFUL ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO COACH JOE MOORHEAD CALLING AN EXCITING GAME IN SAN ANTONIO FREE OF THE PEDESTRIAN AND TEDIOUS CONSTRAINTS FOISTED UPON US BY MR. CRISTOBAL. WE WILL ENJOY GETTING BACK TO THE INNOVATIVE  AND DYNAMIC FOOTBALL WE HAVE BEEN MISSING. GO DUCKS.!! SHOW THE WORLD WHAT A HIGHLY TUNED FERRARI THAT IS DUCK FOOTBALL, WITH THE GUIDANCE  OF A FLAT OUT SKILLED DRIVER CAN DO ! 

• Thumbs Up 3

THE DUCK PERFORMANCE AT THE ALAMO HOPEFULLY WILL PROVIDE A BLUEPRINT FOR THE NEXT COACH ON HOW TO DRIVE OUR BELOVED DUCK FERRARI !

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 11:14 AM, Pocketchange said:

It bothers me that Wilcox’s name keeps being brought up. He seems like the worst hire out of all of them.  I don’t want to watch cal football at Oregon.

DITTO

You can only deny something for so long until everybody knows that it's true.

Well now, lots of smoke, yet no fire or hire.

Top choice candidates are usually those who are employed.  Some already near or at the top.

These are usually not people who jump on a whim. They talk to their people especially the wife. They use their common sense and make a plan.

That's what this program needs. Someone who can plan and execute.

Translated, we won't know anything for sure until it is announced. Basically Canzano knows nothing more than we do, maybe less.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, Nashua said:

DITTO

In fairness, Wilcox got zero support from the CAL administration. The CAL faculty voted in favor of dropping football. By all accounts his players love him. And he would bring a staff of Ducks grads with him.

He upset Mario in 2020 and gave Oregon a heck of a game in 2021.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, jrw said:

Those who know, don’t talk. Those who talk, don’t know. 

Politicians?

• Haha 2

On 12/11/2021 at 2:28 PM, Haywarduck said:

Translated, we won't know anything for sure until it is announced. Basically Canzano knows nothing more than we do, maybe less.

At least he gets paid to speculate.

JUST A FOOTNOTE TO A FOOTNOTE, I’M NOT SURE FORMER PLAYERS MAKE THE BEST COACHES 

On 12/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

At least he gets paid to speculate.

LIKE MY STOCKBROKER !

• Haha 1

Per Canzano: "If you're Oregon...are you really countering the Lincoln Rilley hire to USC with someone who has never done the job?"

I'd have to agree with Canzano on this. 

And based on how Alabama demolished Georgia, the same Alabama that looked very pedestrian on and off throughout the season, I'm not seeing this as a home run. 

I'm also concerned by his lack of West Coast ties. If he proves successful, is he gone in a fews years, leaving us right where we started?

I'm officially underwhelmed.

• Thumbs Up 3

I still sniff NFL is in the mix.  Call it the NFsmelL

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, Nashua said:

I like the NFL angle fragrance ! 😃

On 12/11/2021 at 11:47 AM, OregonRich said:

Per Canzano: "If you're Oregon...are you really countering the Lincoln Rilley hire to USC with someone who has never done the job?"

And based on how Alabama demolished Georgia, the same Alabama that looked very pedestrian on and off throughout the season, I'm not seeing this as a home run. 

I'm also concerned by his lack of West Coast ties. If he proves successful, is he gone in a fews years, leaving us right where we started?

This would not be a good hire-I agree!

• Thumbs Up 1

I started out thinking that neither Wilcox or Lanning would be good hires.  After reading as much as I could find on both, i changed my mind on both.

Wilcox seems to have done as well as anyone could with a Cal school that does not  think football is  all that important.  He appeared to impress the heck of everyone in his interview and with the support that the Ducks would provide,  would expect great things .

Lanning is a go getter and appears to have a work ethic like MC's, as well as being an awesome recruiter.  I see folks bashing his defense bonafides based on 1 game, but despite that 1 game, his team's defense is # 1 in college football .....hard to bash the best.

And his experience level as a head coach is the same as Chip's was....non existent.   can anyone confirm that his mother lives in Hillsboro?   that would be Oregon ties, if true.  

Edited by webfootfan

On 12/11/2021 at 11:47 AM, OregonRich said:

If thats the standard, Chip Kelly would have never been Coach. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, Log Haulin said:

If thats the standard, Chip Kelly would have never been Coach. 

Chip was in house. That's a big difference for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Root for the Titans

On 12/11/2021 at 12:10 PM, OregonRich said:

Chip was in house. That's a big difference for me. 

True.  Moorhead isn't even being considered. Like Kelly as a great offensive mind then, Lanning might be even better on the other side of the ball. In house or not the numbers Lanning put up are undeniably great. Lanning also come with very high praise from his peers.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:07 PM, webfootfan said:

I started out thinking that neither Wilcox or Lanning would be good hires.  After reading as much as I could find on both, i changed my mind on both.

Wilcox seems to have done as well as anyone could with a Cal school that does not  think football is  all that important.  He appeared to impress the heck of everyone in his interview and with the support that the Ducks would provide,  would expect great things .

Lanning is a go getter and appears to have a work ethic like MC's, as well as being an awesome recruiter.  I see folks bashing his defense bonafides based on 1 game, but despite that 1 game, his team's defense is # 1 in college football .....hard to bash the best.

And his experience level as a head coach is the same as Chip's was....non existent.   can anyone confirm that his mother lives in Hillsboro?   that would be Oregon ties, if true.  

I was joking with the Hillsboro thing. Sorry!

The last two pics of Kelly with recruits have them in Nike gear and him in no Bruin gear.... The Nike Plane flew down to a Kelly intercept point between his last two visits.... The biggest tell in any Oregon coaching search should be focused on Phil....  Kelly will need a great DC that can work with his offensive system...and he will need some great recruiters, although recruiting to Oregon is going to be a lot different (easier) with the new NIL rules...Article regarding NIke plane....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:23 PM, Log Haulin said:

True.  Moorhead isn't even being considered. Like Kelly as a great offensive mind then, Lanning might be even better on the other side of the ball. In house or not the numbers Lanning put up are undeniably great. Lanning also come with very high praise from his peers.

All true. And if he's the choice, I hope I'm completely wrong. It sure as heck wouldn't be the first time. But I'm just saying my reservations are very high. 

Kelly HC

Lanning DC

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:23 PM, Log Haulin said:

I'm a Duck's fan but my NFL team is the Ram's. When the Ram's got Mcvay I was like, "who is this young guy that only coached as an OC for the redskins for a year?" I feel many of the Duck's will have that reaction with Lanning but if he is a defensive Mcvay Oregon will be extremely happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, duck023 said:

I'm a Duck's fan but my NFL team is the Ram's. When the Ram's got Mcvay I was like, "who is this young guy that only coached as an OC for the redskins for a year?" I feel many of the Duck's will have that reaction with Lanning but if he is a defensive Mcvay Oregon will be extremely happy.

My kid is a huge Rams fan. The kid knows everything there is to know about Rams.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 11:07 AM, Flyin Vee said:

This is typical of today's (no facts) journalism that creates a narrative .

Translation/ lies

I read an earlier link from OBD forum that the Wilcox interviews and outreach to Chip are very likely politics to keep the Oregon man/reach into our glory days factions satisfied without ever really meaning to go that direction.

If so, it would be an incredibly savvy move by Mullens. 

I get the feeling that the best chance Wilcox has is if all other options fall through and they have to hire someone.  The proverbial safety school.  I feel many people are giving Wilcox too much of a pass for his failings and placing to high a share of blame on the school.  The reality is Wilcox kills offenses as a HC.  He is the anti Chip in that he his track record seems pretty clear that he has no idea how to evaluate a good OC, recruit offensive talent, and create a system that makes that side of the ball at least some level of threat to take advantage of the defensive scheme he is good at promoting and implementing.  

A lot of people have justified looking at Chip with arguments that fall roughly along the lines of 'well, if we pair him with a really good DC and someone who loves to recruit..."   

First, any college coach not 100% committed to recruiting versus looking at it as the part of the job they really don't like isn't ever going to win at an elite level anywhere.  Chip's advantage when at Oregon was the disruptive scheme.  That advantage has since been removed as the rest of the P5 caught up to it and effectively rendered it ineffective as anything other than an occasionally used tactic during a game (aka 'they're moving to tempo on this drive...").  Kelly is in one of the premiere recruiting hotbeds in the country with an elite educational institution to boot.  And he still can't land the high level players that fit his scheme (the star rating isn't the key, it's their talent level for the scheme.  Not that 5 star recruits are not to be prized but they ultimately need to fit into the scheme to be an optimal talent).

Second, Chip has never really had a strong DC.  For those who, I suspect are being sarcastic, but if not, advocate Chip HC + Lanning DC have to answer a simple question: why would Lanning ever leave Georgia to take a lateral move in a lesser situation and when his history shows he has never done this even though given previous choices?  The macro point is that I get the sense Chip would have no idea what a good DC looked like even if he ran them over and conversely, I don't know that top level DCs really want to work for Chip.

Putting a bow on it, Wilcox and Kelly are, in many ways mirror images of each other but for many represent one common theme: the past.  Kelly is lost as a HC on defense and that has always been his Achilles heel.  Wilcox, conversely, would seem to run systems where offense goes to die.  Some coaches just can't make the jump our of their area of expertise and that happens.  That doesn't make them bad coaches, it just makes them poor or mediocre head coaches.  A coach has to come up from one side of the proverbial ball, no doubt.  The coordinators that turn out to be good head coaches are those who can get out of their own narrow area of expertise and lead broadly (Aranda and Kirby Smart are fantastic examples of highly skilled DCs who now lead programs that both can score and defend).

Anyhow, my novella take.

• Thumbs Up 4