Muskrat

Lanning? A HUGE Gamble.

Gotta say it. To gamble on a first time head coach at this time, with a program at this level? Crazy gamble. And if it goes poorly? Start the twenty year downward spiral. It’s not like he spent the last three years under Nick Saban. If this is real it’s crazy scary. It creates no buzz. Just hope and prayers. And what about offense? We’ll never see another 5-star on quarterback visiting our campus again. I’ll always be a duck lifer, but usc, osu, ucla and Washington are all drooling and hoping this is real. They’re ready to party if Monday comes and this is true. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Didn't Oklahoma - which has been in more playoff discussions than Oregon over the last decade - just hire Venables as the head coach?  Not saying that will turn out to be a good decision, but they're a program at this level and they just hired a first-timer...

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/11/2021 at 1:51 PM, Muskrat said:

I’ll always be a duck lifer, but usc, osu, ucla and Washington are all drooling and hoping this is real.

I think uw's hire was way below Laning, especially recruiting wise; UCLA, mixed emotions from them, a large number wanted Kelly off their hands; OSU, 'nough said about little bro; usc only one with more name recognition, but that would be true of anyone we hire.

• Thumbs Up 1

How many first time head coaches have made it to the CFP or took their 1st program to the National title game? Ohhh. I can think of one. 
The difference between being a DC or OC and a head coach at this level is real. Nobody knows how he would do. Total gamble and looks like another 3-year crash and burn. How many mistakes can we make and still have talent look at Oregon seriously. 

• Thumbs Up 1

IMO a top 15 School like Oregon shouldnt have a problem hiring a proven head coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest willville

Are you kidding?  This is a direct shot a Lincoln Riley. Lanning is going to be a great coach. He is an elite recruiter. 

Home run hire. On par with Brent Venables!

Mario set the recruiting bar high and Lanning is his equal. 

Now get Joe Brady as the OC!

Can hardly wait to go to Atlanta!

Also if Im a DC I think it would be much easier to recruit for Ga than Oregon which is more known as an offense oriented program.

Looks like hes the guy so we will wait and see what happens

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta say it. To gamble on a first time head coach at this time, with a program at this level? Crazy gamble. And if it goes poorly? 

Uh, didn't we just gamble on a second-time head coach?

• Thumbs Up 4

Lets win some games, if he does that Im on board

• Thumbs Up 3

Here's an idea: lets give him a chance....lets see how the players react. After all, all great head coaches were at one time coordinators and after the silliness about say Wilcox or for good grief a one year Bellotti deal how about we see what he has to offer.....If Lanning's the guy lets back him up....hell, he might be great.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 2:17 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Also if Im a DC I think it would be much easier to recruit for Ga than Oregon which is more known as an offense oriented program.

Ummm yeah, we used to be known for that.......I am fine with it and hoping as he makes a great OC hire.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup. Now it is “a hope and a prayer”

If it works Phil & Co. Will look like geniuses. 
Im still feeling like this is a sad day for the program. Hope I’m wrong

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If this is real it’s crazy scary. It creates no buzz.

Not to put too much emphasis on Buzz, but the speculation of hiring Lanning has already created more of it than I believe the hiring of Brian Harsin would. Bringing Kelly back would generate Buzz, but I wouldn't equate that with it being viewed as a fantastic hire football wise. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I think this is a great hire. Lanning is the DC of one of the best defenses in the country. In fact, his Georgia team could be the National Champion this year. He is one of the best recruiters in the country, and for someone like him, Oregon is going to be an easy sell wit the recruits.

I don't agree that we will never see another 5 star quarterback again, but the fact of the matter is that we already have one in our stable just waiting for his turn. Defenses are what wins championships, and I haven't seen great defense at Oregon since the days of Nick Allioti.

The next key will be getting a blockbuster OC hire. I think this is going to work out really, really well for Oregon. I'm interested to see how many recruits, especially defensive players, jump back on the Oregon bus.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

And for the Record. 
I do appreciate everyones optimism 

Were Duck Fans. What else can we do. 
Go Ducks. 
I’m Out

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

To gamble on a first time head coach at this time, with a program at this level? Crazy gamble.

The jump from OC or DC to head coach is quite normal in both college and the NFL...I mean, where do the head coaches come from?  If you only hire head coaches...eventually they all die!  😆  Then what?

Chip Kelly was OC...not at a big school, but New Hampshire before Oregon.  Rich Brooks had been position coaches in the NFL and a DC at Oregon State, but never had a head coaching gig before Oregon hired him. Kirby Smart was a DC at Alabama before being the HC at Georgia, and Dabo Swinney was the Wide Receiver Coach at Clemson before being elevated!  Ryan Day was OC before becoming HC at Ohio State, and that about covers a number of the top programs.

I see your concerns, but when a star shines so bright...the next step up is inevitable, and the question is...with which team is it going to be with?

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 7

Mr. FishDuck

I think this is a prescient hire.  No one knows the future, but our new coach appears to be destined a part of it.

This is a better hire than Mario was in my opinion.

Go with youth and genius with a quality OC and matured assistants.

I'm all in!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Only time will tell if this was a success for both him and the Ducks. 

He is from the Show Me State Im from the Show Me State.

• Like 1

Guest Axel
On 12/11/2021 at 2:35 PM, Muskrat said:

And for the Record. 
I do appreciate everyones optimism 

Were Duck Fans. What else can we do. 
Go Ducks. 
I’m Out

Muskrat, I respect your posts and your concerns, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Dan Lanning.

Go listen to some of Lanning's speeches.....like the one when he was a finalist for the Broyles award.  I find him to be super impressive and every person he has worked for has nothing but incredible things to say. He is one of the top recruiters in college football and like Cristobal can not be outworked.  Has 3 young kids and a wife he brags on more than i have seen any other coach do.    Sure , we need a strong OC....now let's go get one.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 5:16 PM, willville said:

Are you kidding?  This is a direct shot a Lincoln Riley. Lanning is going to be a great coach. He is an elite recruiter. 

Home run hire. On par with Brent Venables!

Mario set the recruiting bar high and Lanning is his equal. 

Now get Joe Brady as the OC!

Can hardly wait to go to Atlanta!

It's Brody. And I prefer he bring UGA OC Todd Monken with him?

On 12/11/2021 at 2:07 PM, Steven A said:

I think uw's hire was way below Laning, especially recruiting wise; UCLA, mixed emotions from them, a large number wanted Kelly off their hands; OSU, 'nough said about little bro; usc only one with more name recognition, but that would be true of anyone we hire.

UW got a coach with one year head coaching expirence... Maybe two if I recall. 

Oregon gets a bigger name, a better recruiter and more potential upside due to his age. 

Next comes the big hires. Need a good offensive coordinator now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Chip was a first time head coach. Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Gruden, what's his name at the Rams. etc etc etc ... Lots of great coaches started young and were successful first time head coaches. Some guys just have "it" .... and Mullens must think he saw that. 

Could it backfire? sure. But a "safe" hire would simply guarantee mediocrity. 

I applaud the hire. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

IMO a top 15 School like Oregon shouldnt have a problem hiring a proven head coach.

Apparently it does. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 5:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The jump from OC or DC to head coach is quite normal in both college and the NFL...I mean, where do the head coaches come from?  If you only hire head coaches...eventually they all die!  😆  Then what?

Chip Kelly was OC...not at a big school, but New Hampshire before Oregon.  Rich Brooks had been position coaches in the NFL and a DC at Oregon State, but never had a head coaching gig before Oregon hired him. Kirby Smart was a DC at Alabama before being the HC at Georgia, and Dabo Swinney was the Wide Receiver Coach at Clemson before being elevated!  Ryan Day was OC before becoming HC at Ohio State, and that about covers a number of the top programs.

I see your concerns, but when a star shines so bright...the next step up is inevitable, and the question is...with which team is it going to be with?

If you are going to hire an assistant why not a guy from the SEC? A guy who has one heck of D this season. A guy let down vs Bama because Smart never put Daniels in the game. Smart also screwed up with the manner in which he mishandled Justin Fields.

I would be very happy with tis hire and even more happy if he brings UGA OC Todd Monken with him.

Start Daniels? If so, I think UGA defeats Michigan and then wins the rematch vs Bama.

The guy is not only an outstanding D coach but unlike Chip he can recruit.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Apparently it does. 

Time will tell the story. His success will be measured in wins and losses. Im not happy about it but Im not unhappy about it. I learned my lesson with Taggert.

Guessing reason that GA was willing to pay him $1.8M is that he is somebody in the elite category of their profession. Like that he is young and will come in fired up with plenty of energy. Smart and can recruit. Nice combination. I am in on this hire. I think we upgraded.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lanning is a bold decision and is not without risk but he was the right choice.

Great hire. We'll see the impact immediately with the early signing period. Hiring a top notch OC with in game management skills who recruits well makes this a home run!

Gotta believe guys like Sewell and Flowe are whooping it up right now.

Great to be a Duck. Let the good times roll!

• Like 1

I'm excited about this hire, I think he has potential to be a great head coach and I think this is the speech @webfootfan was referencing.

• Thanks 1

Not many coaches are even considered for the Broyles award. Doesn’t happen by dumb luck. There is substance to this hire.

I think there may be some growing pains, but overall I am satisfied. People smarter than me were directly involved in the hiring process, and I trust their judgement. 

We are not starting a 20 year downward spiral. I was attending the U of O during a time that could be described like that in the late seventies and early eighties. Trust me, this is different.

• Like 1

Gotta say it. To gamble on a first time head coach at this time, with a program at this level? Crazy gamble. And if it goes poorly? Start the twenty year downward spiral. It’s not like he spent the last three years under Nick Saban. If this is real it’s crazy scary. It creates no buzz. Just hope and prayers. And what about offense? We’ll never see another 5-star on quarterback visiting our campus again. I’ll always be a duck lifer, but usc, osu, ucla and Washington are all drooling and hoping this is real. They’re ready to party if Monday comes and this is true. 

Cheer up. This is the best hire. Strong character. Great recruiter. Great teacher. Best person for the job. If Phil and Rob had sold their souls to win a championship by hiring Meyers, I would have had to become a Beav. I could have gotten behind Kiffin as I think he's grown up. Meyers has too many fingers poking around in public where they don't belong, among other shortcomings.

Aranda may have been a good hire too, but maybe he didn't want to leave Baylor. Lanning won't be afraid to hire a top-notch OC with an exciting scheme and will stay out of his way. I see an excited team and an excited fan base as well as ticket sales going up. Could it go wrong? Sure, but taking risks is what makes things tick. It's great to be a Duck again!  

• Thumbs Up 2

Love seeing this program take a gamble again. We aren't settling for coaches, this is a gamble and I love it!

Oregon is about taking gambles, with enthusiasm and gratefulness. This guy epitomizes this mentality, Go Ducks

5xjicd.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Great hire! I'd imagine guys like Noah Sewell, Justin Flowe, Keith Brown, etc. would agree. Lanning is a defensive guru. Look at GA's opponents scores over the 3 years he has been the DC. Hire a good OC coordinator and this is a home run hire. Watch the recruiting class regain traction in the coming days for immediate verification.

Bring on the Jim's & Joes, cause Lanning knows X's & O's!

I certainly don't understand any negative feeling about this hire. It seems top-notch. Very exciting.

Could I have been happy with a shot at returning to past glory? Yes, but as a last resort. The past is almost impossible to recreate and definitely no more guaranteed than the unknown future.

Was lots of talk this week about Oregon being a stepping stone. Where have all our coaches left for?  Cristobal-Alma Mater, Taggart-"Dream Job", Chip-NFL. It's not as if Nebraska called out of the blue and stole our coach.  The last school I saw stoned was Oklahoma as Lincoln Riley went flying off to the land of palm trees. Oregon HC is one of the most desirable jobs in college football and will remain so at least as long as Phil Knight is alive.

This season was the queasiest roller coaster I've ever been on. Aside from winning and being a decent human being, I'm hoping our new coach will also start us on some continuity. I want to get, "Ho hum another year with boring old Nick Saban" type comfortable. The pressure to win a Natty every year that exists in the SEC does not happen here. The pressure won't be the same. We understand that eeeevery once in awhile we'll have to settle for a lousy old Rose Bowl in a year where it isn't part of the national playoff. The biggest problem we'll face if salaries keep skyrocketing as they are.

Wondering what sort of Christmas presents we'll be receiving on the offensive side of the ball. I'm very excited. Gotta have something to look forward too. Basketball season is apparently already over..................

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Lanning is the exact guy you wanted the whole time. You wanted Chip to come back, but Lanning is just Chip the first time. Lanning is that hot innovative assistant, with no experience, taking over a program ready to roll. 

We have to look at who we got, not who we didn't get. We got a high character guy, the players will love, fans will love, and can coach. The only problem with this guy is I don't see the downside.

There might even be an amazing early Christmas gift, our offense back! He is our Oregon Coach, it is time to get behind him, and stay there until there is something to be critical about, nothing yet!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 4:43 PM, Haywarduck said:

I think Lanning is the exact guy you wanted the whole time. You wanted Chip to come back, but Lanning is just Chip the first time. Lanning is that hot innovative assistant, with no experience, taking over a program ready to roll. 

We have to look at who we got, not who we didn't get. We got a high character guy, the players will love, fans will love, and can coach. The only problem with this guy is I don't see the downside.

There might even be an amazing early Christmas gift, our offense back! He is our Oregon Coach, it is time to get behind him, and stay there until there is something to be critical about, nothing yet!

That all may be true but I wouldnt expect results for at least 2 years. New coaches new players new systems -growing pains. I suppose that would be true with any coach we hired though.

We play Ga next year and if this guy can keep us in the game with less than a blowout -Then I will be impressed.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I'm sure our AD had options with nyumerous head coaches, even a couple from the SEC.  We weren't in the room during interviews, we don't have the options to evaluate potential coaches  those making the decisions do.  Would you be happy with head coaches  Wilcox, Kelly, Harsin, or UW's choice?  It may be a gamble, but it's a big name and a splash, and that's what present day Oregon tries to do.  It will play well with recruits, it will intially play well with fans, and if he recruits well like Cristobal did, he can't be a worse game day coach.  I think this is a gamble well worth taking.  It will be fun to watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a lot of respect for Wilcox but I think this is a much better hire. This will continue Oregon down the path of being the toughest team in the Pac 12. Also, I don't think Chip was the answer for this particular team. I think hiring an assistant from Georgia or Alabama was actually the safest move. As much as I like Matt Campbell I'm not sure he continues down the path of making Oregon the most physical team in the Pac 12 like Dan Lanning does.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not that my opinion makes a difference, but I am good with the hire. Splashy? Big name?? No, but I'm not so sure hiring a head coach from another big name program is a great idea. Calling Kevin Sumlin! Seems to me if things are great, they would stay and if they were great their school would want them to stay. Going home is a nice story MC, but how many coaches going back to their previous school or alma mater have turned out awesome? Taggert? Frost?? Harbaugh??? (6 years to get Michigan to the playoff is not a success in my book).

I have watched recruiting over the years and it seems to me you have two choices. Be so good that no matter your age, they want to play for you or be young, talk their talk, and get them excited. Oregon is not in a position to get the former and anyone who thinks we can pull Sweeney or Urban Meyer is delusional. The latter comes with the danger of them having success and leaving for another job. I don't place Taggert or Cristobal in this category.  Their rep got them their next supposed upgrade. I would be shocked that if Lanning is a long term hire. He has too much upside and has so much time to grow.

I do think that this is the future of college football. That means the administration needs to have a "program" in place. I think we are close. Lots of kids say we are their dream school which to me says if Oregon stays on top of where their coaches stand, we can make a shift to a new one without losing too much momentum. I don't think Mullens has us in this position, but maybe he will learn. Or maybe not, but we did get Lanning fairly quickly considering.

In the mean time, perhaps we should change our end of 3rd quarter song from "Shout" to this:

RIP Michael Nesmith

I'll wait for judgment on Lanning until I see how he fills out his staff. The OC is going to be very important. I agree it is a huge gamble. He has energy and can recruit, much like Cristobal.... What worries me most is that he is getting a lot of credit for Georgia's defense being ranked #1 in the country.

If he was some master at reading offensive sets and then calling the correct counter I could understand the optimism. Perhaps a great defensive genius. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

Georgia basically realized that they had the talent to line up man for man and use very basic defensive formations. This works very well against the run and with super talented defensive lineman who can get after the QB it can stifle the passing game as well. It also allows a lot of rotation of secondary players helping create massive depth all over the field on defense. It's not a bad game plan, it does however run into problems when you line up against a top 20 passing team with an O line capable of holding back the pass rush. See vs Alabama this year and Florida Last year.

Georgia has only played one top 20 passing team all year and that was Alabama. I expect Leach will have a field day with Georgia when he gets the opportunity.

National passing ranks for teams Georgia has played this year: 103,91,96,104,73,57,72,39,65,55,95, and 7. Their lone loss was to the 7. My prediction they handily beat Michigan (Passing offense ranked 67) and then lose to Alabama for a second time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Apparently it does. 

I just can’t join you in this perspective.

Smart’s hiring at GA and Day’s at OSU are proof of this.  You think either school had to ‘settle’ for less than they wanted?  Or Notre Dame this cycle either (you don’t think Fickle would have turned them down)?

There was no real splashy name to be hired at this point in the year.  That is the reality of hiring late in the process.  

if they had hired Wilcox or Kelly then I would conclude that either your point is exactly right or the hiring group had a total failure of imagination. 

Let me ask this a different way.  You think Lanning was going to take a HC job at just any school?   In many ways, Oregon’s ability to land him says a lot about the status of the opportunity and job.  

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like what I've seen so far. (Not much!) After watching the video linked, did anyone else think he sorta looks like a bulldog?

On 12/11/2021 at 4:58 PM, 47sgs said:

I'm sure our AD had options with nyumerous head coaches, even a couple from the SEC.  We weren't in the room during interviews, we don't have the options to evaluate potential coaches  those making the decisions do.  Would you be happy with head coaches  Wilcox, Kelly, Harsin, or UW's choice?  It may be a gamble, but it's a big name and a splash, and that's what present day Oregon tries to do.  It will play well with recruits, it will intially play well with fans, and if he recruits well like Cristobal did, he can't be a worse game day coach.  I think this is a gamble well worth taking.  It will be fun to watch.

#1 the average fan has never heard of the fellow, #2 I wouldnt be happy with those choices. #3 its not a big name to most fans. #4 I expect that within 3 to 4 years we could have a NC quality team. But its going to take time and I will be patient.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:12 PM, Muskrat said:

How many first time head coaches have made it to the CFP or took their 1st program to the National title game? Ohhh. I can think of one. 
The difference between being a DC or OC and a head coach at this level is real. Nobody knows how he would do. Total gamble and looks like another 3-year crash and burn. How many mistakes can we make and still have talent look at Oregon seriously. 

Uhhhh Lincoln Riley

On 12/11/2021 at 8:34 PM, Duckology said:

I'll wait for judgment on Lanning until I see how he fills out his staff. The OC is going to be very important. I agree it is a huge gamble. He has energy and can recruit, much like Cristobal.... What worries me most is that he is getting a lot of credit for Georgia's defense being ranked #1 in the country.

If he was some master at reading offensive sets and then calling the correct counter I could understand the optimism. Perhaps a great defensive genius. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

Georgia basically realized that they had the talent to line up man for man and use very basic defensive formations. This works very well against the run and with super talented defensive lineman who can get after the QB it can stifle the passing game as well. It also allows a lot of rotation of secondary players helping create massive depth all over the field on defense. It's not a bad game plan, it does however run into problems when you line up against a top 20 passing team with an O line capable of holding back the pass rush. See vs Alabama this year and Florida Last year.

Georgia has only played one top 20 passing team all year and that was Alabama. I expect Leach will have a field day with Georgia when he gets the opportunity.

National passing ranks for teams Georgia has played this year: 103,91,96,104,73,57,72,39,65,55,95, and 7. Their lone loss was to the 7. My prediction they handily beat Michigan (Passing offense ranked 67) and then lose to Alabama for a second time.

Leach already had the opportunity last season and Georgia won while also missing some key defensive starters for that game. You got a great coach in Lanning and it pains me to say that as I would have loved to have kept him in Athens. With the resources Oregon provides, this will be a home run hire.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry. Double post.

Edited by NWA72
  • Thumbs Up 1