Charles Fischer

Canzano: "Oregon Shooting BIG, Even Into the Great Unknown"

I do like his takes the majority of the time, and he got me pondering on one or two points...

Canzano: Oregon Ducks Take a Football Gamble on the Energy and Enthusiasm of Dan Lanning by John Canzano of OregonLive

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: JAN 01 Sugar Bowl - Georgia v Baylor

Mr. FishDuck

WOW! 35 years old. If he is committed to Oregon he could be on the sideline for many a moon.

Love the guy's history. He is a competitor who bet on himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully he knows a thing or 2 about offense.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 4:13 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Hopefully he knows a thing or 2 about offense.

Or if he doesn't he hires a good OC and actually lets them do the play calling...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hope the background check only showed his alma mater, William Jewell College in Missouri, as his dream job.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Our players will have to learn a whole new system on both offense and defense so Im figuring next year will be pretty tough as far as wins go. Maybe in 2 or so years with some of his recruits in place we will get back to being a contender. But what happens when another team offers 9 mil?

So what Im getting at is that while this maybe exciting right now for some its not really any different than if you hired a Chip Kelly type, it turns out the same. My problem isnt with Lanning its with the current system of college football.

I know I should take it one day at a time.  Go Ducks.

Lanning's first action should be to block all of Zano's calls. 

I think the reward outweighs the risk.  The ceiling just got raised!

I think I am a Bulldog fan for their remaining games in this CFP!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 4:26 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Our players will have to learn a whole new system on both offense and defense so Im figuring next year will be pretty tough as far as wins go. Maybe in 2 or so years with some of his recruits in place we will get back to being a contender. But what happens when another team offers 9 mil?

So what Im getting at is that while this maybe exciting right now for some its not really any different than if you hired a Chip Kelly type, it turns out the same. My problem isnt with Lanning its with the current system of college football.

I know I should take it one day at a time.  Go Ducks.

It is turning College Football into a dirty business.  Love the college game but money is corrupting it more each year. It's one of the reasons I stopped watching the NFL. But with any great product people want come huge stacks of cash. Hope Lanning is hugely successful as a head coach and stays at Oregon for many years.

Guest Axel

Yes, hiring Dan Lanning is a gamble, but it's an intelligent gamble, and a gutsy hire. 

Dave "Softy" Mahler, perhaps the most vehement Ducks hater in this corner of the galaxy, reacted this way to Lanning's hire: "So AJC was right..." If Softy isn't happy about Lanning coming to Oregon, it's a good thing. 

Dan Lanning is the architect of an incredible defense on a team that will likely play for the national championship. I was in Chip Kelly's camp prior to learning about Lanning. Our new coach offers greater promise than Kelly and he's a vast improvement over Mario Cristobal. 

By circumstance Oregon ended up with one of Alabama's best O-line coaches and now Oregon hired the best D coordinator Georgia has had. I like this SEC trend and Oregon has shown to be one of the most physical teams in the Pac 12 with Cristobal so I'm glad that is going to continue.

• Thumbs Up 2