Warrenton

Lousy Hire

Sorry, that's just how I see it. Lanning has no significant head coaching experience and now he's going up against guys like Lincoln Riley, Whittingham, Shaw etc.

This ain't ideal....

Lincoln Riley had no head coaching experience before he took over Oklahoma and he did ok. Ryan Day. Mel Tucker, the list goes on. 

Plenty of coaches make the transition just fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Lincoln Riley had no head coaching experience before he took over Oklahoma and he did ok. Ryan Day. Mel Tucker, the list goes on. 

It's strange at this level to hand the reigns over to an unknown. I know it works at times but it's extremely risky.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

This is 75/25 Recruiting to Coaching experience. I like the hire given the possibilities. I'm excited about the next chapter in Oregon football.

Risky yes 

surely high risk high reward hire for sure

Lousy… no way !!!

this hire is a solid A- to me 

What would have you liked to see?  The second go around with an older fatter chipper?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The fact that he is so young and went up through the coaching rankings so quickly tells me this guy is good. Kirby Smart wanted him as his right hand man so that is good enough for me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, Southwest Duck said:

Risky yes 

surely high risk high reward hire for sure

Lousy… no way !!!

this hire is a solid A- to me 

What would have you liked to see?  The second go around with an older fatter chipper?

Luke Fickell

On 12/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, duck023 said:

The fact that he is so young and went up through the coaching rankings so quickly tells me this guy is good. Kirby Smart wanted him as his right hand man so that is good enough for me.

He's never been in charge of anything. Plenty of assistants kill it at that level but are a joke when they're in charge of a large operation.

On 12/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, Warrenton said:

Luke Fickell

Yep that would have been a good hire too.

problem with that is you couldn’t hire him until almost mid January and that would devastate our 2022 recruiting class.

also there is no guarantee he’d even want to come here, Midwest guys like to stay home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 5:22 PM, Warrenton said:

Sorry, that's just how I see it. Lanning has no significant head coaching experience and now he's going up against guys like Lincoln Riley, Whittingham, Shaw etc.

This ain't ideal....

Well Cristobal had HC experience and he was a poor in game coach.

• Thumbs Up 3

Risky, strange, unknown — sounds like the basic ingredients that have always gone into Oregon HC hires/promotions.  We’ve never looked back or played it safe. Just doesn’t work in the PNW. Innovation is not just our way, it’s the only way.

• Thumbs Up 4

Regardless.  Time to put our full weight into this hire.  He needs our full support.  We need a legacy here and also a passing game.   Lets find out who the OC will now be.  Let’s go Dan! 

• Thumbs Up 3

Luke Fickell

I don't think the Ducks had a chance at getting Fickell, and I'm less nervous about where Lanning will have the Ducks in the next couple of years than I would be had Oregon hired an experienced coach such as Brian Harsin or Justin Wilcox. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 5:37 PM, Warrenton said:

He's never been in charge of anything. Plenty of assistants kill it at that level but are a joke when they're in charge of a large operation.

Defensive coordinators are pretty important and Georgia had one of the best defenses in the country. Being the defensive coordinator at Georgia is huge. It's not like he is the defensive coordinator to a mountain west team or something.

• Thumbs Up 4

Not seeing the risk. Ok, I see risk. In every single hire. I'm feeling like it's going to be a home run. And with that I'm off to read what Charles has posted about the recruits Lanning has been responsible for. I'm likely to be feeling even better afterward.

• Like 1

Since we are just throwing out names we would have liked to see hired instead, I've got a few:

Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Mike Kryzewski, Urban Meyer, Dabo Sweeney, Phil Jackson, Luke Fickel, Lincoln Riley....this hire sucks though because we didn't even try to land any of them.  

The fact I had to come up with some obviously fake candidates tell you something.  There aren't many options out there that are a clear step up that aren't already at top tier programs.  So do you hire an Oregon alum that clearly can't coach at an elite level, hire a coordinator that has huge upside, or hire a retread.  I like the route Oregon is taking here.

• Thumbs Up 9

On 12/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

And plenty don't.  Jimmy Lake, Randy Shannon, Mark Helfrich...

The great head coaches of this era -- Saban, Meyer, etc. -- went to small schools to learn to become good HCs before winning natties for big programs.

Meyer coached at Ball St. and Saban at Toldeo for example. Going from assistant straight to a big-time program -- not only running it but rebuilding it from the ground up -- is a very tall order. The odds are against this guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, NotThatFan said:

What's more, Riley was an assistant at Oklahoma when the previous HC retired. Riley took over a program that was in very good shape and already had almost everything in place. Riley didn't have to rebuild or reshape at all.

Edited by Warrenton
  • Thanks 1

If there’s nothing else (and there’s a hell of a lot more) about this hire, what I love is that it has the rest of the PAC-12 reaching once again for the antacids wondering if Oregon is again a few steps ahead of them. Keepum guessing!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 8:22 PM, Warrenton said:

This ain't ideal....

The only coaches Oregon ever hired with significant HC experience was Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal.

The odds have been against every coach we have hired, well maybe not Mr. Casanova, but welcome to the club Mr. Lanning. 

As far as ideal, we don't do ideal, we make ideal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The only coaches Oregon ever hired with significant HC experience was Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal.

Chip Kelly would disagree.

On 12/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, NotThatFan said:

You are absolutely correct. But that's not the point. The point it you CAN be successful without having head coaching experience, it doesn't make for an automatic failure. 

And flip it around, plenty of coaches with Head Coaching experience get a new job and stink. Just look at Chip. 

On 12/11/2021 at 9:02 PM, Warrenton said:

Really? That’s weird. His first HC job was at Oregon.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon isn't being built from the ground up...its essentially the same situation that you stated regarding Riley when he took over OU.  Oregon is already on the cusp of playing for a natty....the only missing pieces were a QB that wasn't probably the worst in the nation, and a HC that could maximize the talent they amassed. 

I think the QB to reach the natty has been sitting on the bench all season and I think Dan Lanning could be the guy that can maximize the talent on the roster.  If so, we will be in the playoffs in short order.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:02 PM, Warrenton said:

How so?

On 12/11/2021 at 5:54 PM, Warrenton said:

The great head coaches

Neither Luke Fickell or Matt Campbell had head coach experience before being hired at Cincinnati or Iowa State.

The great head coaches of this era -- Saban, Meyer, etc. -- went to small schools to learn to become good HCs before winning natties for big programs.

Meyer coached at Ball St. and Saban at Toldeo for example. Going from assistant straight to a big-time program -- not only running it but rebuilding it from the ground up -- is a very tall order. The odds are against this guy.

All this is true, good facts Warrenton !!

But I wish you wouldn’t have said it, I’m starting to worry about the hire now.

😆

Rebuilding from the ground up? Absolutely not. This is Oregon, not Arizona. Oregon is loaded with talent and is coming off a double digit win season. This is no 2-10 program. 

And again, plenty of coaches do just fine, such as Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 7:04 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Really? That’s weird. His first HC job was at Oregon.

My mistake, I thought Chip had been the HC at New Hampshire. But like Riley, Chip took over at Oregon already an assistant here with the culture and system in place. He didn't need to rebuild.

Edited by Warrenton
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 5:37 PM, Warrenton said:

I would argue that being in charge of the Georgia Defense had more responsibilities and pressure than 95% of assistants out there. I think he is in a rare class. Yes, he is young, but he is going on 11 years of various roles and working with some of the best Coaches and Programs in college football.

• Thumbs Up 1

Head coaching experience doesn’t matter. Like somebody stated earlier this week. Oregon has had 5 different coaches since 1994 and only 2 losing seasons. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:07 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Rebuilding from the ground up? Absolutely not. This is Oregon, not Arizona. Oregon is loaded with talent and is coming off a double digit win season. This is no 2-10 program. 

And again, plenty of coaches do just fine, such as Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day.

It all depends on what type of system and what type of offense Lanning's going to want to run.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:09 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Head coaching experience doesn’t matter. Like somebody stated earlier this week. Oregon has had 5 different coaches since 1994 and only 2 losing seasons. 

Head coaches absolutely matter. A bad head coach can set a program back for years, even big-time blueblood programs. Look what happened to USC after Carroll left.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:12 PM, Warrenton said:

Head coaches absolutely matter. A bad head coach can set a program back for years, even big-time blueblood programs. Look what happened to USC after Carroll left.

I get what you’re saying, but Belotti’s first HC job was at Oregon and he’s in the NCAA HOF. Chip’s first HC job was at Oregon and he went to 4 BCS bowls in a row to include a NC game. Helfrich’s first HC job was at Oregon and he won a Rose Bowl and went to the NC game. Granted, Helfrich was fired for sucking.

Sometimes the institutional leadership helps the coach to succeed. Pat Haden was the reason USC failed. Not the departure of Pete. Mullens saw the writing on the wall with Helfrich and fired him with a winning record. His hires may not have stuck around but the Ducks went to a bowl every year since Mullens fired Helfrich.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

Luke Fickell

He's not leaving Cincinnati... He made the playoff and even if he was interested he wouldn't leave his team till after the playoff... We can't wait that long. 

Yes... I know Lanning will coach the playoff game but there is a big difference from being a DC and leaving and a head coach and leaving whole still trying to coach. 

Also Cinci is going to the big-12 soon... The job gets a bit better. 

Fickle was never going to be an option. You are in your right to not like the hire but we were never getting Fickle. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Guest willville

Who would you have hired?

On 12/11/2021 at 8:34 PM, duck023 said:

Coming in peace from TN. As we're not rivals, I hope that's okay. Mods may delete me, as you see fit.

Lanning is a good recruiter and runs a very, very firm defense. As a HC? Who knows but he's done very well at GA. I wish him and Oregon well.

My concern is him not coming immediately to Oregon. I don't know the terms of when he's starting in Eugene but what I'm seeing in the south is that he'll coach in the playoffs for GA.

That's concerning from a recruiting standpoint (and, honestly, a coaching standpoint for GA) that he's letting Oregon down by not getting on the recruiting trail ASAP. A new coach, from a different conference needs to be there. I'm sure GA recruits heavily nationwide and he probably has some good relationships but it feels odd that he won't be fully available until after the championship (assuming GA beats MI.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Im ready to reserve judgement until mid way through next season- until then hes just some guy.

Im from the same state hes from -THE SHOW ME STATE.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, eVOLed said:

Coming in peace from TN. As we're not rivals, I hope that's okay. Mods may delete me, as you see fit.

Lanning is a good recruiter and runs a very, very firm defense. As a HC? Who knows but he's done very well at GA. I wish him and Oregon well.

My concern is him not coming immediately to Oregon. I don't know the terms of when he's starting in Eugene but what I'm seeing in the south is that he'll coach in the playoffs for GA.

That's concerning from a recruiting standpoint (and, honestly, a coaching standpoint for GA) that he's letting Oregon down by not getting on the recruiting trail ASAP. A new coach, from a different conference needs to be there. I'm sure GA recruits heavily nationwide and he probably has some good relationships but it feels odd that he won't be fully available until after the championship (assuming GA beats MI.)

Good post. I'm sure there will also be some more guys jump into the portal after this like Noah.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:33 PM, David Marsh said:

He's not leaving Cincinnati... He made the playoff and even if he was interested he wouldn't leave his team till after the playoff... We can't wait that long. 

Yes... I know Lanning will coach the playoff game but there is a big difference from being a DC and leaving and a head coach and leaving whole still trying to coach. 

Also Cinci is going to the big-12 soon... The job gets a bit better. 

Fickle was never going to be an option. You are in your right to not like the hire but we were never getting Fickle. 

Cincy about to get beat by Alabama though. That's going to make a coach like Fickel do some thinking.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:47 PM, 30Duck said:

I don't think the Ducks had a chance at getting Fickell, and I'm less nervous about where Lanning will have the Ducks in the next couple of years than I would be had Oregon hired an experienced coach such as Brian Harsin or Justin Wilcox. 

Is there anyone out there better prepared to lead the Ducks vs UGA in Atlanta next season? He comes from the toughest conference in America and he is a heck of a recruiter. Fickell was never going to leave Ohio for Oregon; especially, when Cincy is now in the B12. 

The Pac-12 is 2 for 8 in the playoff. The Pac-12 has only 6 bowl eligible teams. The Pac-12 was killed OOC last season. The Pac-12 is saddled with a functionally insolvent network. Oregon is a very good but not an elite/blue blood coaching job. Elite facilities? Yes. But how many 4 and 5 star recruits does the state of Oregon produce every season? And frankly over Mario's tenure for the most part we were treated to pedestrian, play down to the level of your opponent, boring football. Not the flash and dash brand that took Oregon and NIKE a lot of time and money to build. 

We will of course see if he is up to the task? But I think this was a bold and correct hire.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

On 12/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Warrenton said:

Good post. I'm sure there will also be some more guys jump into the portal after this like Noah.

Noah?  He almost went to Georgia after being recruited by Dan.  Last night his dad said they like Dan and would be happy if he was hired at Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 6:38 PM, eVOLed said:

that he's letting Oregon down by not getting on the recruiting trail ASAP

He has been announced as the hire but I don't think he will be officially hired until Monday. I am sure he will be recruiting, making calls and doing some visits. 

Only one week until signing day and he can make use of that week recruiting. Then he goes and coaches for game prep... Then for the second signing period he is all Oregon. 

Not ideal but he could certainly make it work. I am also sure that Mullens and Knight already talked about this with him and they have a plan. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, Warrenton said:

Cincy about to get beat by Alabama though. That's going to make a coach like Fickel do some thinking.

Fickell is headed to the 'new B12' which at the close of 2021, is a better conference in both football and basketball than is the Pac-12. IMO not expanding and wiping out the B12 was a terrible business decision on the part of the conference. I do not view this hire in the same vein.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Is there anyone out there better prepared to lead the Ducks vs UGA in Atlanta next season? He comes from the toughest conference in America and he is a heck of a recruiter. Fickell was never going to leave Ohio for Oregon; especially, when Cincy is now in the B12. 

The Pac-12 is 2 for 8 in the playoff. The Pac-12 has only 6 bowl eligible teams. The Pac-12 was killed OOC last season. The Pac-12 is saddled with a functionally insolvent network. Oregon is a very good but not an elite/blue blood coaching job. Elite facilities? Yes. But how many 4 and 5 star recruits does the state of Oregon produce every season? And frankly over Mario's tenure for the most part we were treated to pedestrian, play down to the level of your opponent, boring football. Not the flash and dash brand that took Oregon and NIKE a lot of time and money to build. 

We will of course see if he is up to the task? But I think this was a bold and correct hire.

An HC hire can't be about one game, especially an OOC game. Also, the Big 12 is losing Texas and Oklahoma so it's basically morphing into a glorified G5 league. The PAC-12 will be a lot more attractive moving forward than the Big 12. There's isn't a school in the Big 12 that wouldn't jump on it in a second if the PAC-12 invited them. The PAC unlikely to invite any of those schools, however, because they don't bring much to the table and they're garbage academically.

The Recruiting thing is no biggie. Lanning was hired to REBUILD the team over a period of time. The Utah loss left a sour taste in PKs mouth.

Actively coaching in the playoffs sounds like a great way to bring in recruits to me.

• Thumbs Up 1