Warrenton

Lousy Hire

On 12/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, Warrenton said:

Cincy about to get beat by Alabama though. That's going to make a coach like Fickel do some thinking.

Yeah.. he may leave at the end of the season or more likely next season. 

But he didn't even entertain jobs most people would consider better than Oregon. Just this year Notre Dame, Oklahoma, LSU, USC, and Florida were all open... He didn't even consider any of those. Last year Texas was available and he didn't even consider it. 

He is another mid west or east coast guy... All those jobs are more interesting than Oregon.

He may change his interest after what happens with the playoff... He did also lose to Georgia last year in a bowl game and that was a meh Georgia team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:51 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Fickell is headed to the 'new B12' which at the close of 2021, is a better conference in both football and basketball than is the Pac-12. IMO not expanding and wiping out the B12 was a terrible business decision on the part of the conference. I do not view this hire in the same vein.

Also you would have to be brain dead to want to coach Cincy, Okla St, West Virginia, BYU, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. over Oregon.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, Warrenton said:

An HC hire can't be about one game, especially an OOC game. Also, the Big 12 is losing Texas and Oklahoma so it's basically morphing into a glorified G5 league. The PAC-12 will be a lot more attractive moving forward than the Big 12. There's isn't a school in the Big 12 that wouldn't jump on it in a second if the PAC-12 invited them. The PAC unlikely to invite any of those schools, however, because they don't bring much to the table and they're garbage academically.

Check the PO Committee's final top 25 and the current AP basketball top 25. Academics? 4 out of 14 SEC member schools are AAU members but they win titles in football. Texas is an AAU school and is not bowl eligible this season. Academics? What kind of take does the nation have when they tune in an empty Stanford stadium and many half full stadiums?

On 12/11/2021 at 9:54 PM, Warrenton said:

Also you would have to be brain dead to want to coach Cincy, Okla St, West Virginia, BYU, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. over Oregon.

Because of all the titles Oregon has won in football? I'm not sure you are being objective my friend?

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:57 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Check the PO Committee's final top 25 and the current AP basketball top 25. Academics? 4 out of 14 SEC member schools are AAU members but they win titles in football. Texas is an AAU school and is not bowl eligible this season. Academics? What kind of take does the nation have when they tune in an empty Stanford stadium and many half full stadiums?

Not sure if you pay attention to leadership in the PAC-12, but PAC-12 Presidents want to affiliate with other institutions with strong academic credentials. That's always been important whenver the PAC-12 condsidered expansion.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:52 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

The Recruiting thing is no biggie. Lanning was hired to REBUILD the team over a period of time. The Utah loss left a sour taste in PKs mouth.

I'll not pretend to understand how things work in the PAC 12 but the SEC is brutal for coaches to perform immediately. I also don't see Oregon as in bad shape and I enjoy watching y'all. I hope you take it to GA in Atlanta.

That was my only concern. Recruiting is a huge part of the job.

I'm unsure Kirby Smart will release him to recruit for Oregon while GA is preparing for the CFP game with Michigan. Unlike an SEC team, Michigan will require a lot of film study, defensive tweaks, etc because they're not a team GA has faced regularly. They will require more preparation than Alabama, even, which I'm sure Smart wants to avenge the loss, if possible.

If your AD has worked something out, that's good. That was my concern.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/11/2021 at 6:38 PM, eVOLed said:

Coming in peace from TN. As we're not rivals, I hope that's okay. Mods may delete me, as you see fit.

No sweat.  Any feedback you can give is welcome, although I can never understand why a fan who is not of the school would want to come onto a forum of another.  But as long as you follow our strict rules--you are good.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, Charles Fischer said:

... although I can never understand why a fan who is not of the school would want to come onto a forum of another....

Probably because it's fun to see what others are thinking? 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Because of all the titles Oregon has won in football? I'm not sure you are being objective my friend?

I'm not sure you're being objective. The Oregon job is head and shoulders above coaching in the likes of Waco, Morgantown, Lubbock, etc. for a multitude of reasons. Have you ever been to any of these towns?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:03 PM, Charles Fischer said:

No sweat.  Any feedback you can give is welcome, although I can never understand why a fan who is not of the school would want to come onto a forum of another.  But as long as you follow our strict rules--you are good.

Thank you. I won't be a regular here. I agree that it's weird and debated my choice.

I wondered if there was good information here about why Oregon let him continue to coach at GA. It just seems odd because of early signing, recruiting, being in full swing.

I do understand that the CFP is not "just another bowl" and I guess it can be spun as loyalty but I come from the SEC and loyalty is rare here.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Any feedback you can give is welcome, although I can never understand why a fan who is not of the school would want to come onto a forum of another. 

Last night in twitter spaces Dan's brother had to retreat to his garage cause he said his wife was tired of listening to him talk about Oregon football. 😄

• Thumbs Up 2

I suspect it was the result of the give-and-take in negotiations?  Our OC who was hired as HC at Akron is returning to coach our bowl game...

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/11/2021 at 7:08 PM, eVOLed said:

I wondered if there was good information here about why Oregon let him continue to coach at GA. It just seems odd because of early signing, recruiting, being in full swing.

I do understand that the CFP is not "just another bowl" and I guess it can be spun as loyalty but I come from the SEC and loyalty is rare here.

Personally as a fan I don't mind as long as he's hitting the phones with current Duck recruits and working to assemble his coaching assistants.  It's not like he'd be coaching Oregon in the exhibition... err Alamo Bowl anyways.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, deschutesduck said:

Personally as a fan I don't mind as long as he's hitting the phones with current Duck recruits and working to assemble his coaching assistants.  It's not like he'd be coaching Oregon in the exhibition... err Alamo Bowl anyways.

This is not about whats going on today or tomorrow this is about the next 2 to 3 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll also offer this about Luke Fickell. I don't think he's available because of his family. He's not a typical career before family coach from everything I've heard. He's a very devout Catholic in a heavily Catholic city, Cincinnati, where he and his wife are supposedly very comfortable with the schools and area.

I think he'll be high on the list for Notre Dame if Marcus Freeman fails but that might be the only school he'd consider. Luke Fickell is that rarity in coaching who values his family more than career, I'm told.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, eVOLed said:

Coming in peace from TN. As we're not rivals, I hope that's okay. Mods may delete me, as you see fit.

Lanning is a good recruiter and runs a very, very firm defense. As a HC? Who knows but he's done very well at GA. I wish him and Oregon well.

My concern is him not coming immediately to Oregon. I don't know the terms of when he's starting in Eugene but what I'm seeing in the south is that he'll coach in the playoffs for GA.

That's concerning from a recruiting standpoint (and, honestly, a coaching standpoint for GA) that he's letting Oregon down by not getting on the recruiting trail ASAP. A new coach, from a different conference needs to be there. I'm sure GA recruits heavily nationwide and he probably has some good relationships but it feels odd that he won't be fully available until after the championship (assuming GA beats MI.)

Welcome to OBD. It would be a complete disservice to not allow Lanning to coach in the playoffs. After all, that’s why these kids play the game. Coaching changes are hard and recruiting hits come with the territory. You guys should know this just as well as we do. We’ve probably had the same amount of coaching changes in the last 10 years.

The good thing is he has the transfer portal that is filled with over 2K players. The recruiting analysts at Oregon will probably help with recruiting and analyzing portal candidates while he coaches UGA. We know we’re not getting everybody who was committed before Mario left. It comes with the territory, but Mario didn’t leave a bare cupboard either. The Duck roster is pretty decent.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, deschutesduck said:

Assembling assistants most likely however recruiting is prohibited through Jan 13th.  Dead period starts this Monday.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:22 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

This is not about whats going on today or tomorrow this is about the next 2 to 3 years.

oh for sure but we've already got the talent to be a good team next year

On 12/11/2021 at 7:27 PM, Orebcker said:

Assembling assistants most likely however recruiting is prohibited through Jan 13th.  Dead period starts this Monday.

weird, I didn't realize that, I assumed they could talk to recruits up through the end of the early signing period

On 12/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, deschutesduck said:

Maybe we will get 8 wins hopefully I would be happy

On 12/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, deschutesduck said:

weird, I didn't realize that, I assumed they could talk to recruits up through the end of the early signing period

There ya go

Seems like most people on the forum wouldn’t of been happy unless we got Sabin. In my mind this is a great hire. I have had it up to my eyebrows watching the last several years with MC. Let’s give this kid a chance. Obviously a good teacher and he probably learned more and comprehended more in the Bama game than MC did in four years.

Get behind this guy with support him. 

Duck Fans. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't know what all this rebuilding talk is. We are the youngest team in the P5. MC did manage to get us the last four top PAC-12 classes that were top 10 nationally. What are we rebuilding?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:07 PM, Warrenton said:

I'm not sure you're being objective. The Oregon job is head and shoulders above coaching in the likes of Waco, Morgantown, Lubbock, etc. for a multitude of reasons. Have you ever been to any of these towns?

Ive been to a few of them 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:27 PM, Orebcker said:

I did not realize it started that soon.

Okay. I get it. I thought there was another week.

Thank you for this information. I feel even better about Coach Lanning not coming immediately.

I'll bow away. Thanks again!

On 12/11/2021 at 5:22 PM, Warrenton said:

Sorry, that's just how I see it. Lanning has no significant head coaching experience and now he's going up against guys like Lincoln Riley, Whittingham, Shaw etc.

This ain't ideal....

Neither did Riley when he

toik over for Stoops

Sorry, that's just how I see it. Lanning has no significant head coaching experience and now he's going up against guys like Lincoln Riley, Whittingham, Shaw etc.

This ain't ideal....

Neither did Riley after stepping in for Stoops

The more I read about Lanning, the more I  hear his own words, the more I like the guy.  I think most of us will be calling this a home run, or at least a triple, before too long. This guy is not a typical 35 yr old.  His wife had osteosarcoma at the age of 28.  He stood before a group at an awards show and gave credit to his wife that was more than just 5 words. He has worked his butt off wherever he has been and everybody...kids, other coaches, administration, all seem to think he is exceptional.

He comes across as humble, and appears to have his ego in check. He was listed as # 8 in recruiting , and recruited a 5 star QB.  Not bad for a defensive guy. 

Let's hope for a  strong OC hire to balance out his experience. 

I am gonna root like heck for the guy.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

This ain't ideal....

Neither did Riley after taking over for Stoops

This ain't ideal....

Riley took over Oklahoma after Stoops with the same kind of trajectory. Like I said earlier….first call for OC to Joe Brady

On 12/11/2021 at 7:31 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

There ya go

Clarification - they can communicate electronically, phone, zoom, text, etc.  In person visits are prohibited.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a Georgia alum, let me just say you got a great one in Dan Lanning. The guy is one hell of a coach and motivator. He is also a monster on the recruiting trail. With the resources at Oregon this will be a home run hire all the way.

He is a first class person as well. I hate to see him leave Athens so much, but happy for him and his family. For those talking about he has never been a head coach anywhere, keep in mind Kirby Smart and Dabo Sweeney had not been either and I think those two turned out ok.

Edited by NWA72
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Lincoln Riley had no head coaching experience before he took over Oklahoma and he did ok. Ryan Day. Mel Tucker, the list goes on. 

Plenty of coaches make the transition just fine. 

But like both Bellotti & Kelly, Riley was already in the OU system so the transition to HC was dramatically easier. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to disagree about this being a "lousy hire". I think it was a great hire, and I trust that Rob Mullens and Phil Knight know what Oregon needs to be successful and who is needed to maximize the likelihood of that.

I'm told Phil Knight was more personally involved with this hire than with any other coaching hire at Oregon. We are talking about one of the most successful businessmen in the world. If Phil Knight, with all of his experience, can't identify someone with the "IT" factor required to be successful in another human, then no one can. 

As difficult as it is to fathom, not all of the people who may have been on our dream coach lists may have been available. No amount of money can replace the happiness a lot of today's successful college coaches feel in their current jobs. You can only go after people who are actually available and interested. Mario and his coaches put in more jet miles to recruit than almost any other college in the nation because we don't have a big talent pool in our back yard like they do in Los Angeles or Miami. Coaching at Oregon comes with very high expectations and it's hard work.

I'm sure that Mullens and Knight went in with a check list, and I'm sure that the only box Lanning didn't fill was HC experience. Otherwise, the guy knocked their socks off; and I must say, the more I learn about him and hear people who are familiar with him sing his praises, the more my socks are knocked off as well. 

I'm told when Mario got the head coaching job at Oregon, those in the know called him "The Beast" because he is such a hard worker. I'm told that the same people call Dan Lanning "The Beast 2". I think we are all going to end up really liking this guy.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The only coaches Oregon ever hired with significant HC experience was Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal.

And Jim Aiken.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:09 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Head coaching experience doesn’t matter. Like somebody stated earlier this week. Oregon has had 5 different coaches since 1994 and only 2 losing seasons. 

Well... 3 out of our 5 last head coaches have been failures. So I'm not a believer in your, "Head coaching experience doesn't matter" take. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Lincoln Riley had no head coaching experience before he took over Oklahoma and he did ok. Ryan Day. Mel Tucker, the list goes on. 

OMG,

HE EMERGES!!!!!

On 12/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, deschutesduck said:

Well get ready for 4 to 5 losses-its going to be a whole other system--be patient

This ain't ideal....

Annnnnd it begins....

Thank you Warrenton for showing you have as much passion for OBD as the rest of us.

I respectfully disagree, and here's to hoping you're wrong with no hard feelings.  

I'm quite sure you want a Natty as much as we all do.

I for one am glad we can begin the next chapter in our pursuit of a title.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, Mike West said:

Annnnnd it begins....

Thank you Warrenton for showing you have as much passion for OBD as the rest of us.

I respectfully disagree, and here's to hoping you're wrong with no hard feelings.  

I'm quite sure you want a Natty as much as we all do.

I for one am glad we can begin the next chapter in our pursuit of a title.

Sorry, just not seeing it. USC hires a coach who took his team to the CFP three times. We hire a rookie with only three years experience as an assistant and never been in charge of anything.

Just call me concerned.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ponder thats what we will have to do for awhile.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, Warrenton said:

My mistake, I thought Chip had been the HC at New Hampshire. But like Riley, Chip took over at Oregon already an assistant here with the culture and system in place. He didn't need to rebuild.

And Urban Meyer never coached at Ball State. He was the head coach many years ago at Bowling Green.

By the way, if you guys haven't listened in on Oregon Twitter Spaces, it's absolutely fascinating. They have Oregon players, Oregon  players' parents, local media folks, former players all commenting on this coaching hire. 

It's absolutely fascinating! You don't have to be a member of Twitter to listen.

You can find it here: https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1DXxyDnZbzyJM

Edited by latracey
  • Thanks 1

Well... It's not the safe hire... which I give Oregon credit for.

Here's to hoping it's the right hire. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, DCDuckfan said:

Since we are just throwing out names we would have liked to see hired instead, I've got a few:

Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Mike Kryzewski, Urban Meyer, Dabo Sweeney, Phil Jackson, Luke Fickel, Lincoln Riley...

You forgot the ghost of Knute Rockne 

On 12/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

This ain't ideal....

I think the devil is in the coordinators budget and hires.

This Kid from Ga is NO Lincoln Riley. hes a good D Co that recruits to GA-My grandma could do that. 

Its like going to Harbor Freight to buy tools--he was a deal-on sale. No matter what ANYBODY says -he is unproven. 

Lets see what life is like midway through next season.--GO DUCKS!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Didnt Ga lose to what many are saying is one of worst Bama teams in years???

I do not know if this has been said already but I hope he is a good Leader, makes good choices at OC, DC and Lets them Work.  CEO's are good visionaries, hire and fire the people that take care of the Mission Statement.  Bring the Bucks home and builds something consistent.  Sets the goal for the team and holds the OC and DC responsible.  His lack of coaching experience is surely a concern but NOW its up to him to set the stage.

I hope Joe Salave'a  gets a chance to shine, if he so desires but the loss of DeRuyter and Yates, is not a big deal to me.  Wilson the LB coach, Good Luck at Nevada.  He made the most out of those players, including Bassa.  Not that the Secondary was bad, I just do not believe they where used properly.  Five Db's and our LBers suffered in the middle all the time.