Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Warrenton

Lousy Hire

The more I read about Lanning, the more I  hear his own words, the more I like the guy.  I think most of us will be calling this a home run, or at least a triple, before too long. This guy is not a typical 35 yr old.  His wife had osteosarcoma at the age of 28.  He stood before a group at an awards show and gave credit to his wife that was more than just 5 words. He has worked his butt off wherever he has been and everybody...kids, other coaches, administration, all seem to think he is exceptional.

He comes across as humble, and appears to have his ego in check. He was listed as # 8 in recruiting , and recruited a 5 star QB.  Not bad for a defensive guy. 

Let's hope for a  strong OC hire to balance out his experience. 

I am gonna root like heck for the guy.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 5:22 PM, Warrenton said:

Sorry, that's just how I see it. Lanning has no significant head coaching experience and now he's going up against guys like Lincoln Riley, Whittingham, Shaw etc.

This ain't ideal....

Neither did Riley after taking over for Stoops

Sorry, that's just how I see it. Lanning has no significant head coaching experience and now he's going up against guys like Lincoln Riley, Whittingham, Shaw etc.

This ain't ideal....

Riley took over Oklahoma after Stoops with the same kind of trajectory. Like I said earlier….first call for OC to Joe Brady

On 12/11/2021 at 7:31 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

There ya go

Clarification - they can communicate electronically, phone, zoom, text, etc.  In person visits are prohibited.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a Georgia alum, let me just say you got a great one in Dan Lanning. The guy is one hell of a coach and motivator. He is also a monster on the recruiting trail. With the resources at Oregon this will be a home run hire all the way.

He is a first class person as well. I hate to see him leave Athens so much, but happy for him and his family. For those talking about he has never been a head coach anywhere, keep in mind Kirby Smart and Dabo Sweeney had not been either and I think those two turned out ok.

Edited by NWA72
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Lincoln Riley had no head coaching experience before he took over Oklahoma and he did ok. Ryan Day. Mel Tucker, the list goes on. 

Plenty of coaches make the transition just fine. 

But like both Bellotti & Kelly, Riley was already in the OU system so the transition to HC was dramatically easier. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to disagree about this being a "lousy hire". I think it was a great hire, and I trust that Rob Mullens and Phil Knight know what Oregon needs to be successful and who is needed to maximize the likelihood of that.

I'm told Phil Knight was more personally involved with this hire than with any other coaching hire at Oregon. We are talking about one of the most successful businessmen in the world. If Phil Knight, with all of his experience, can't identify someone with the "IT" factor required to be successful in another human, then no one can. 

As difficult as it is to fathom, not all of the people who may have been on our dream coach lists may have been available. No amount of money can replace the happiness a lot of today's successful college coaches feel in their current jobs. You can only go after people who are actually available and interested. Mario and his coaches put in more jet miles to recruit than almost any other college in the nation because we don't have a big talent pool in our back yard like they do in Los Angeles or Miami. Coaching at Oregon comes with very high expectations and it's hard work.

I'm sure that Mullens and Knight went in with a check list, and I'm sure that the only box Lanning didn't fill was HC experience. Otherwise, the guy knocked their socks off; and I must say, the more I learn about him and hear people who are familiar with him sing his praises, the more my socks are knocked off as well. 

I'm told when Mario got the head coaching job at Oregon, those in the know called him "The Beast" because he is such a hard worker. I'm told that the same people call Dan Lanning "The Beast 2". I think we are all going to end up really liking this guy.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The only coaches Oregon ever hired with significant HC experience was Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal.

And Jim Aiken.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:09 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Head coaching experience doesn’t matter. Like somebody stated earlier this week. Oregon has had 5 different coaches since 1994 and only 2 losing seasons. 

Well... 3 out of our 5 last head coaches have been failures. So I'm not a believer in your, "Head coaching experience doesn't matter" take. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Lincoln Riley had no head coaching experience before he took over Oklahoma and he did ok. Ryan Day. Mel Tucker, the list goes on. 

OMG,

HE EMERGES!!!!!

On 12/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, deschutesduck said:

oh for sure but we've already got the talent to be a good team next year

Well get ready for 4 to 5 losses-its going to be a whole other system--be patient

This ain't ideal....

Annnnnd it begins....

Thank you Warrenton for showing you have as much passion for OBD as the rest of us.

I respectfully disagree, and here's to hoping you're wrong with no hard feelings.  

I'm quite sure you want a Natty as much as we all do.

I for one am glad we can begin the next chapter in our pursuit of a title.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, Mike West said:

Annnnnd it begins....

Thank you Warrenton for showing you have as much passion for OBD as the rest of us.

I respectfully disagree, and here's to hoping you're wrong with no hard feelings.  

I'm quite sure you want a Natty as much as we all do.

I for one am glad we can begin the next chapter in our pursuit of a title.

Sorry, just not seeing it. USC hires a coach who took his team to the CFP three times. We hire a rookie with only three years experience as an assistant and never been in charge of anything.

Just call me concerned.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ponder thats what we will have to do for awhile.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, Warrenton said:

My mistake, I thought Chip had been the HC at New Hampshire. But like Riley, Chip took over at Oregon already an assistant here with the culture and system in place. He didn't need to rebuild.

And Urban Meyer never coached at Ball State. He was the head coach many years ago at Bowling Green.

By the way, if you guys haven't listened in on Oregon Twitter Spaces, it's absolutely fascinating. They have Oregon players, Oregon  players' parents, local media folks, former players all commenting on this coaching hire. 

It's absolutely fascinating! You don't have to be a member of Twitter to listen.

You can find it here: https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1DXxyDnZbzyJM

Edited by latracey
  • Thanks 1

Well... It's not the safe hire... which I give Oregon credit for.

Here's to hoping it's the right hire. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, DCDuckfan said:

Since we are just throwing out names we would have liked to see hired instead, I've got a few:

Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Mike Kryzewski, Urban Meyer, Dabo Sweeney, Phil Jackson, Luke Fickel, Lincoln Riley...

You forgot the ghost of Knute Rockne 

On 12/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, Darren Perkins said:

This ain't ideal....

I think the devil is in the coordinators budget and hires.

This Kid from Ga is NO Lincoln Riley. hes a good D Co that recruits to GA-My grandma could do that. 

Its like going to Harbor Freight to buy tools--he was a deal-on sale. No matter what ANYBODY says -he is unproven. 

Lets see what life is like midway through next season.--GO DUCKS!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Didnt Ga lose to what many are saying is one of worst Bama teams in years???

I do not know if this has been said already but I hope he is a good Leader, makes good choices at OC, DC and Lets them Work.  CEO's are good visionaries, hire and fire the people that take care of the Mission Statement.  Bring the Bucks home and builds something consistent.  Sets the goal for the team and holds the OC and DC responsible.  His lack of coaching experience is surely a concern but NOW its up to him to set the stage.

I hope Joe Salave'a  gets a chance to shine, if he so desires but the loss of DeRuyter and Yates, is not a big deal to me.  Wilson the LB coach, Good Luck at Nevada.  He made the most out of those players, including Bassa.  Not that the Secondary was bad, I just do not believe they where used properly.  Five Db's and our LBers suffered in the middle all the time.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Warrenton said:

Good post. I'm sure there will also be some more guys jump into the portal after this like Noah.

Noah already said he was jazzed about Lansing, in fact he almost went to play for him instead of OR.

I get it, you don’t like the pick, but it has been made.  As fans, our job is to support the team.  Yes, the sky could fall and the Ducks never win another game, but I believe we’re gonna do fine.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3