Duckpop22

Take a Day to Shake Off the Position In Which You Were Entrenched

This has all been on our last nerve for a week. In that time, a few encampments developed. 

1. Our feelings were so hurt because of MC's betrayal. Only Justin Wilcox could make us feel good again. "Make sure it's an Oregon guy." I can't stand to be jilted again.

2. So sick and tired of the Bo Schembechler offense. MC held down our offense better than anyone since Gene Chizik. It's Chipper or nothing!

3. He has to have years of proven head coaching experience. C'mon! When has Oregon hired ANYONE  like that?

Those are the major encampments. Since Coach Lanning doesn't have proven bona fides for any of that there has been more grousing about the hire than I anticipated. So, take a day and come back to Fishy with an improved attitude and a willingness to row this boat over the finish line. LET'S get fired up! I AM FIRED UP!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 14
  • Like 1

All that matters is Lanning fired up, and I bet the recruits, players are.

If the fans take a while, oh well. I agree most of us need to give him the benefit of the doubt and learn to like the guy.

Not me. I have always believed in "new-gen". And Lanning clearly has represented the best of it so far. I'm not seeking all-too-familiar "west coast" or "Chip 2.0". I'm looking for an establishment of a new glistening brand of "OREGON". I'm excited again!

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 2

I've been on the Lane Train ... I can change it to the Dan Van. 

I think it is a good hire to counter some of the other hires in the conference... Namely Riley. 

I really really really want to know who the OC will be. The defense I feel will be set. It's got good bones in a good group of players. 

The offense also has a good base of players... They just need to be used correctly to get the most out of them. Get an OC to do it .. and we are in the hunt for the playoff right away. 

Cristobal left the Ducks with a pretty good roster... Just need someone to use the players and push them to their potential now... Which may not have happened with MC anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Going to be fun watching this new chapter of the Oregon football story unfold..

IMHO, as a greybeard it is easier to be patient with the common learning curve of new young coaches.  

For the younger forum members the tremendous success in the 21st century is all they know. The standard is set higher thus fan expectations are thru the roof.

I may have missed a few high notes but prior to the season of the KW interception this program was dismal, lean and without much hope. Simply disappointing. The Independance Bowl was almost unobtainable. Not anymore.....

Congrats to our new coach. Lay the foundation for your vision. We all hope your vision brings Penny, Phil and us fans that first Natty.

Looking forward to some SEC type football success.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I really liked the idea of bringing Chip home, but the thought of him on the field of victory ....on a cold and lonely November night....as 60k fans celebrate another 54-17 beat down of the huskies ....but....no Erin Andrews....she’s moved on to the NFL.....It’s too heartbreaking to bare.

The new guy will be fine.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 8:36 PM, Marshall Lucky said:

I really liked the idea of bringing Chip home, but the thought of him on the field of victory ....on a cold and lonely November night....as 60k fans celebrate another 54-17 beat down of the huskies ....but....no Erin Andrews....she’s moved on to the NFL.....It’s too heartbreaking to bare.

The new guy will be fine.

Well if we can get a good OC... just think ... on that cold November night we can see Oregon beat the Huskies 54-0!

Just need the good OC.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:25 PM, David Marsh said:

Well if we can get a good OC... just think ... on that cold November night we can see Oregon beat the Huskies 54-0!

Just need the good OC.

David, on this very cold December morning, the thought of beating the arrogant huskies 54-0 warmed this greybeards heart. It just feels good to type it.

Given time DL brings the chops and scheme to put up goose eggs on the score board.

As you point out we need that homeowners OC hire. 

After all we owe the dogs a 70 plus point beating.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I wake up realizing is we are going to have a far better defense. Our defensive recruits have to be ecstatic. I wonder what recruits and transfers Lanning will bring in. I hope he brings one well over 300lbs to put under the Christmas tree for me!

Way back when we signed Noah I thought we had a chance to become LBU, linebacker university. That dream seems to be coming closer to reality.

I look forward to the end of the prevent offense and a dominating defense, Go Ducks!

I also realize we have no idea what the offense will look like, but we have plenty of talent and time to figure that out.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being named head coach at Oregon he should be giving up his duties at GA and on to Eugene. 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:45 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

he should be giving up his duties at GA and on to Eugene

i agree, but i also trust that uncle phil has a plan. 

Edited by DR Hilarius
  • Thumbs Up 1

After a day it is also interesting to contrast how the Mario hire was done and received, while contrasting the Dan Lanning hire. 

Kirby Smart's statement says it all about how the Georgia's program feels about how the power brokers approached the Bulldogs. The Ducks did it the right way and got the right guy!

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/kirby-smart-issues-statement-on-dan-lanning-leaving-for-oregon-reveals-dcs-plans-for-playoff/

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 7:45 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Being named head coach at Oregon he should be giving up his duties at GA and on to Eugene. 

I think it says more about the man that he honors his commitments to the kids he started the year with.  I am pretty sure that allowing him to complete the playoffs with GA was a big reason we got him.

It always ticks me off to see a coach move on for himself and leave his team high and dry.  I think that is putting I before team.  WT an MC both did it, and soured me on them.

• Thumbs Up 1