Desert Duck

Oregon v Georgia - 1 & Done?

Admittedly, I can be a bit slow, but I just realized the Oregon @ Georgia is a 1 & done event. 

From the Oregonian: "The neutral site season-opener will be the third since 2011 for Oregon." 

Please... who is kidding who here? Playing Georgia in Atlanta is anything but neutral. I thought we were past the 1 & done deals like LSU in 2011 -- let alone like this Georgia deal where the Bulldogs are essentially playing at home.

I'm impressed that we're willing to go out there, but like Ohio State, we need to be getting 1 & 1 deals.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ga will mop the flor with us. But we will still be pretty good in the PAC

Neutral site BS is horrible for Oregon and  the Pac 12. It's another way for the SEC to game the system in their favor.

• Thumbs Up 2

tOSU was a home & home but we lost ours at Autzen last year due to the plandemic 

• Haha 1

We should never go east of the Mississippi unless it’s for a natty. Period

As long as we keep winning these like against tOSU, in a few years, we will get to dictate the terms.  But as of now, it's a minor miracle that GA is willing to risk their pristine season record to play us...

Upside to this is a lot of our  players from the east get to play close to home for a game. Also gets us some southern exposure.

Most of these pre-season classics have been held in the central and eastern time zones because Dallas and Atlanta offered to host them and pay a lot of money. I’m hearing that we will see more of these in the West with the building of SoFi and Allegiant stadiums.

This game, though scheduled years in advance, is timed perfect for our new HC.

Consider that our new head coach is a top recruiter in the south. The SEC south.......

Think of the 2023 recruits DL and his staff (gotta believe a few of his new staff will be from the same foot print) will have on the sidelines. It's an affordable game for top prospects and their parents to attend. Especially from the south.

Maybe we win, maybe we lose. But once again the Ducks will be the national game with Georgia. 

I have heard that Georgia loses the majority of this year's defense to the NFL. Our young battle tested defense will not be intimidated in that game. Plus they may be even better coach. 

It's the kind of game that will continue to give Oregon the big stage exposure. Keep winning and the home and home games will come.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The ideal situation is you build as at the season goes. Losing early to a good team, away, won't do any damage. We then play EWU and then BYU which may be our downfall. 

The main thing about scheduling is we need an 8 game conference schedule like the SEC. Having a patsy at the end of the season helps them and our conference schedule doesn't help us. Get to work George!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Hardly any of the big boys play any games away from their footprint.

They know better than to come out west and deal with the time difference which has shown, even in the pros, to be a disadvantage.

I know a lot of us have been pleading for a 8 game league schedule. Don't know why it hasn't already happened?

I just read an article about our commish pushing for a ooc schedule that is only done 1yr in advance.

Nothing about the league schedule which I believe is the most important thing to do.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:58 PM, Desert Duck said:

Admittedly, I can be a bit slow, but I just realized the Oregon @ Georgia is a 1 & done event. 

From the Oregonian: "The neutral site season-opener will be the third since 2011 for Oregon." 

Please... who is kidding who here? Playing Georgia in Atlanta is anything but neutral. I thought we were past the 1 & done deals like LSU in 2011 -- let alone like this Georgia deal where the Bulldogs are essentially playing at home.

I'm impressed that we're willing to go out there, but like Ohio State, we need to be getting 1 & 1 deals.

A number of us have beefed about this game for quite sometime. A $3M money grab that is PO scheduling senseless as the Ducks also play BYU OOC. Mario left the Ducks prepared for this game by playing a 6 year gutty but mediocre QB all season long.

Maybe Lanning can bring JT Daniels with him?

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the Lanning hire puts Oregon in a better position in this game. Lanning is familiar with UGA but UGA has less of clue as to what Oregon will be. UGA loses a lot of talent to the League and Oregon is the youngest team in FBS . Should be an interesting game. Losing hurts Oregon very little. Playing tough and close or winning catapults Oregon into the conversation again. Looking forward to this game. Great scheduling if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 3

"Losing hurts Oregon very little."

Other than the fact that losing this game  would likely instantly knock us out of the playoff chase.

IMHO, the PAC12 simply doesn't have the conference strength to get us back into the hunt. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/19/2021 at 10:02 PM, Desert Duck said:

"Losing hurts Oregon very little."

Other than the fact that losing this game  would likely instantly knock us out of the playoff chase.

IMHO, the PAC12 simply doesn't have the conference strength to get us back into the hunt. 

We'll just cross that bridge when we get there.  The only thing we control is today.  Tomorrow will take care of itself. Championships are won in the off season.

If the kids do the work, they'll reap the rewards.  It's a very talented group.  If they force teams to make mistakes, and not shoot themselves in the foot, they should win every game ( including Georgia because the Bulldogs haven't committed to scoring forty plus a game). 

Faith.  Strength. Guts. Dedication. Perseverance.  Words of winners.  That's what this team will focus on.

Let's see what happens instead of gnashing our teeth.  OBD will show us who they are "soon enough".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This will be a heck of a test for our new coaching staff

Edited by Pocketchange
Posted on wrong thread… how did I do that?

On 12/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

This game, though scheduled years in advance, is timed perfect for our new HC.

Consider that our new head coach is a top recruiter in the south. The SEC south.......

Think of the 2023 recruits DL and his staff (gotta believe a few of his new staff will be from the same foot print) will have on the sidelines. It's an affordable game for top prospects and their parents to attend. Especially from the south.

Maybe we win, maybe we lose. But once again the Ducks will be the national game with Georgia. 

I have heard that Georgia loses the majority of this year's defense to the NFL. Our young battle tested defense will not be intimidated in that game. Plus they may be even better coach. 

It's the kind of game that will continue to give Oregon the big stage exposure. Keep winning and the home and home games will come.

This game was scheduled in 2019 by Rob Mullens.

• Thumbs Up 1