30Duck

The Big Question: Who's Going to Make the Offense go at Oregon?

The Ducks have their new Coach, and he's all about the defense. Who is he going to get to make sure the Ducks are just as lethal when they have the ball?

Trojans Wire says Lanning's Success hinges on who will run Oregon's offense.

Yes, a thousand times yes!  

I kind of feel sorry for this Kid. The pressure is on and he has a lot of responsibilities which all could go south.

Anything less than 11 wins and people will be all over him. Hopefully he knows what he got him self into. Alas He will make some big $$

Want to attract top talent?

Pay top dollar......

If PK is committed to this hire then he and other boosters can put this hire in the $2 million plus a year range.

That gives most all current OC candidates a hefty pay raise. 

Don't settle on this hire. Go after a proven OC who's game plan lights up the scoreboard. This team has top level talent on the O side of the ball. Coach it up......

High scoring offenses attract talent.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/12/2021 at 8:53 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Anything less than 11 wins and people will be all over him

Speaking for myself, next season isn't 11 W's or Bust. We'll have a new coach, a new QB, a new OC, a new DC, and yeaah, the season starts with a "neutral" game against Georgia. What I want to see is Lanning starting to put his name on this Oregon football team.

I want to see the team buy in to what he and his coaches are telling them. I want to see a team with fire, that frankly was missing from Mario's teams. Give me that, I think wins will come, and it will get better and better every season. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I like what this article had to say about Brennan Marion and running the go-go offense. It jives with what I'm hopeful Oregon can continue to do in terms of bringing innovation and excitement. That is part of the DNA of Oregon athletics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any kind of offense we will get has to be better than what we had to endure under MCs attempt the last 4 years. Coming from Georgia I don’t think DL will be afraid to move the ball on offense. The best Defenses are the ones that are not on the field and not getting wore down at the end of the game and the end of the season. Our defense was wore down and broke down. If DL can turn our offense into what we all know it can be things will be just ducky in Eugene.

Go Dan

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

My take is Lanning will get a very good OC like Taggart got an extremely good and expensive DC to help him.  Mario also got a very good OC, but, it seems, throttled him.

I think it is important to remember what happened with Leavitt. He took a defense which was one of the worst in college football and turned it into one of the better in a short time. Our offense is loaded, and I mean loaded, and good coaching will pay huge dividends, more than Leavitt's did.

I am not worried, but also understand it may take some time to really get it clicking. All I know is I was an OC I wouldn't be seeing what Leavitt saw. This offense is set up to go-go, and wouldn't that be the most exciting development of this whole thing!

Charles might even get his 40+ points! I have a feeling this just might be one of Charles better gifts this year!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have no idea who Lanning has in mind, but he has quality people in mind that he thinks he can get for OC and he communicated those names to Mullens and Knight. I wouldn't be surprised if Lannning announces his OC and his DC in the next couple of days.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, Principal Duck said:

I like what this article had to say about Brennan Marion and running the go-go offense. It jives with what I'm hopeful Oregon can continue to do in terms of bringing innovation and excitement. That is part of the DNA of Oregon athletics.

You are new on the forum, but over on the FishDuck site for articles...we had three articles about the GoGo Offense potentially being at Oregon...  We have this one, and then this one, and finally this one.  I think it could shake things up...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hiring your buddy whose offense was worse than Cristobal’s isn’t going to take us to the championship 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 10:09 AM, Pocketchange said:

Hiring your buddy whose offense was worse than Cristobal’s isn’t going to take us to the championship 

OMG

It looks like we are bringing in the offense that hung a mighty 13 points on Georgia Tech.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing for certain is Lanning isn’t walking in the door not fully aware of the offensive turmoil surrounding MC’s tenure. Neither does he have the offensive baggage Mario brought as a Miami veteran of trench war fare. A young, open mind should go a long way in bringing in the right guy to help solve our offensive woes.

• Haha 1

C'mon guys....you are skeptical about a guy who had a massive scoring offense at Memphis, and who as Auburn OC put the most points (48) on a Nick Saban defense ever.  Being thrown in the Florida State dumpster fire would take anyone a while to rebuild.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

Wikipedia

Dillingham was hired to be the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Auburn in 2019, replacing. Chip Lindsey.[5][6] During his time at Auburn he helped

Bo Nix become the SEC Rookie of the Year. While also being the most improved offense in the SEC. His final game vs Alabama the offense put up 48 points.

Which is the most points scored on a Nick Saban defense. He spent one season with the Tigers, where they recorded a 9-3 record. Auburn also had its highest

recruiting ranking in the 247 recruiting ranking era during Dillingham’s year as OC.

That was the same year the Ducks lost to AU 27-21

He might be just fine with the offensive talent Oregon has.

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Thumbs Up 3

Im a skeptic. I admit. 

The main problem with this hire is that once he is hires, he is here for the duration regardless of performance.  This wouldn’t be a problem if he was bringing a top 10 OC, but he isn’t.  We may be begging for the pistol plunge next year and our OC is here to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 10:42 AM, Pocketchange said:

We may be begging for the pistol plunge next year

OK, there are exaggerations, and then there is over-the-top!  I don't think any choice of OC by Lanning is going to have us wistful for the days of the "Pistol-Plunge."  But I understand your concern, and appreciate you bringing your views to us.   I do want to see them all!

(Only not over-and-over-and-over-and-over as some of us are prone to do.)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

It is interesting to see the youth movement hitting Oregon squarely between the eyes. Maybe I am just getting older, but these guys look like they just graduated from college. 

As long as they can coach, recruit, manage athletes and our program, I am ok with it!

Dillingham’s FSU QB talent this past season was pedestrian at best.  Their commit list shows an elite 11 finalist incoming for 2022.

I seriously doubt DL will bring in an OC that runs a boring offense,  especially the pistol. 

With the money available for this hire, DL can get the best.

Also, consider the type of football played in the south. Now consider our new HC had to game plan against those OC's and their game plan.

He knows the haves and the have nots. He knows, from his journey, who he wants.

Patience.............

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I want to wait until Chip Kelley’s buyout goes to 0$, pay Chip what would have been the 9 mil buyout over two years with a 3 mil a season salary and a 5 year deal with team option for more and a big buyout. Get his old custom house back and let him just coach offense and be an experienced sounding board. My .02

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:05 AM, Haywarduck said:

It is interesting to see the youth movement hitting Oregon squarely between the eyes. Maybe I am just getting older, but these guys look like they just graduated from college. 

As long as they can coach, recruit, manage athletes and our program, I am ok with it!

This isn’t the first time the UO went with the youth movement.  Did so back ‘77 with another 35 yr old.  Last name was Brooks.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, Orebcker said:

This isn’t the first time the UO went with the youth movement.  Did so back ‘77 with another 35 yr old.  Last name was Brooks.

Wow!  Great CATCH Orebcker.....that is a....

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Is age a factor here?

Could you imagine a guy like Moorehead working under a 34 year old first-time head coach? 

I have a gut feeling that Joe had a hard time being under Mario, and it’s not hard for me to imagine an older OC having problems taking orders from a “kid.”

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, 30Duck said:

Speaking for myself, next season isn't 11 W's or Bust. We'll have a new coach, a new QB, a new OC, a new DC, and yeaah, the season starts with a "neutral" game against Georgia. What I want to see is Lanning starting to put his name on this Oregon football team.

I want to see the team buy in to what he and his coaches are telling them. I want to see a team with fire, that frankly was missing from Mario's teams. Give me that, I think wins will come, and it will get better and better every season. 

You nailed it, 30Duck.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I kind of feel sorry for this Kid. The pressure is on and he has a lot of responsibilities which all could go south.

Anything less than 11 wins and people will be all over him. Hopefully he knows what he got him self into. Alas He will make some big $$

I get it. But in my case it's hard to feel too sorry for a guy who just got a 'half decent' bump in pay? And a great opportunity at his age.

With an inexperienced QB, OOC games 'at' UGA and versus BYU and 5 conference road games, I don't think 11 wins is a reasonable bench mark in 2022?

In 2023 the 'big' OOC game is at Texas Tech and both the coach and team will be more experienced. This is the year I think a run to the playoff can be expected.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:55 AM, Jon Joseph said:

With an inexperienced QB, OOC games 'at' UGA a

The game against UGA is going to be tough, but I am expecting it to show us a great contrast from what we saw too often from Cristobal's teams. The Ducks aren't coming out flat for this one. Lanning is fired up for it now!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:48 AM, duckcz said:

Could you imagine a guy like Moorehead working under a 34 year old first-time head coach?

Today "reports are suggesting" and "sources are saying" that Lanning (who is 35) is after Kenny Dillingham, the OC at Florida State for his OC.

Dillingham is all of 31, which is not a lot older, really, than Anthony Brown.

This could be the equivalent of "my buddy who knows a guy at work whose cousin says", but if it pans out, the Ducks could be a new-school, youth movement leader among coaches.

There's something exciting about that, to me.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Wow!  Great CATCH Orebcker.....that is a....

giphy.gif

Another trivia gem for you Charles, or anyone else.  Who was Brooks first game against and where was it played?

On 12/12/2021 at 2:12 PM, Orebcker said:

Another trivia gem for you Charles, or anyone else.  Who was Brooks first game against and where was it played?

I'm not going to provide the answer, because I relied on Google (I was a big Ducks fan, but only 8 years old), but interesting!  That was a tough non-conference schedule in 1977 (at least by today's standards).

I don't feel sorry for any of these guys. I didn't feel sorry for Helfrich either. When you live you dream it can become a nightmare. At least you don't wake up in the middle of the night with the real nightmare of never have tried!

I do think they may be well served to have Bellotti on the speed dial, if that is such a thing anymore. I suppose it would be on the favorites on my phone. Maybe have a weekly meeting and a walkthrough with the coach. There is wisdom in experience, and beauty in a youthful outlook, why not combine them!