Principal Duck

Busy Lanning

The way I see it, our new coach has four jobs all at the same time.   He's got to finish his current role, hire a new coaching staff, make sure early recruiting is in full effect, and finally maintain all current players on the roster. That's a lot of hours! Not sure there's enough in a day.  I'm excited to see progress in all of those categories but I'm mostly on pins and needles about our current players and recruits. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds like his main role at UGA will be reduced to game prep which should free up some crucial time to get a top notch OC and stabilize the recruiting class.

What is interesting is Georgia is ready for the next steps. They have put in place assistants to ensure their defense will be well taken care of.  They were notified about the hiring and support it completely.

I am sure Oregon is in full support mode for Lanning. I look at it as Christmas time and the gifts are wrapped up, the shopping isn't done and they will be opened as we get close to the New Year. With Uncle Phil in charge of the gifts, I am sure we won't be disappointed!

I think it is going to be a busy Oregon Football support system. We already surprised everyone with Mr. Lanning and I am sure there will be good stuff to come! 

• Thumbs Up 6

These are exciting times

• Thumbs Up 1

I've read on here that some believe Lanning should forego his chance to coach Georgia in the CFP, but I don't agree. Winning a national championship only adds to this young man's credibility. In addition, the goal in college football today is to make it to the CFP and win. It the the primary objective and the dream of every football coach and staff, and getting a chance to coach in it will only make Lanning better in every way to lead our Ducks back there some day. I'll be rooting for Georgia.

Listening to Oregon Twitter Spaces yesterday gave me a finger on the pulse of what the players and recruits think of this hire. The short answer to that is that they are ecstatic. Lanning is enthusiastic, young, hardworking, and by all accounts a great coach. According to Mullens, he has been planning to be an HC for a long time and he has a list of of competent staff members, offensive coordinators most importantly, that he believes he can hire.

Mullens and Phil spoke with and interviewed many candidates for the job who covered a wide range of experience and success. Each laid out their plan to maintain or supersede the success Mario, who is perhaps the hardest working man in college football, had at Oregon. Lanning came away heads and shoulders ahead of all of the other people interviewed. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, Mullens and Knight think they hit a grand slam home run.

Who we now have at Oregon is not the "Dan Van", it's the "Lanning Strip". Think sleek jet airplane taking off to bring the very best and most talented recruits back to Oregon. I feel like we are heading into some very special days ahead for Oregon football. You know that makes me want to SHOUT!

Edited by latracey
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, Principal Duck said:

The way I see it, our new coach has four jobs all at the same time.   He's got to finish his current role, hire a new coaching staff, make sure early recruiting is in full effect, and finally maintain all current players on the roster. That's a lot of hours! Not sure there's enough in a day.  I'm excited to see progress in all of those categories but I'm mostly on pins and needles about our current players and recruits. 

Principal Duck....I am way behind in welcoming new members, and there are many I have not, due to being so busy.  But do post your thoughts often and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, latracey said:

I've read on here that some believe Lanning should forego his chance to coach Georgia in the CFP, but I don't agree. Winning a national championship only adds to this young man's credibility. In addition, the goal in college football today is to make it to the CFP and win.

I also respect the fact that Lanning wants to finish what he started and honor his commitment to UGA.  That was one of the things I hated about hearing some people wish for Urban Meyer - it would mean he'd have to pull a Petrino and jet out of J'ville midway through his first season there.  It would be hard to respect someone who would do that.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/12/2021 at 10:03 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I also respect the fact that Lanning wants to finish what he started and honor his commitment to UGA.  That was one of the things I hated about hearing some people wish for Urban Meyer - it would mean he'd have to pull a Petrino and jet out of J'ville midway through his first season there.  It would be hard to respect someone who would do that.

I think Jacksonville would have been fine with it . They might have helped pack his bags .

It's hard not to believe that Mario had mentally checked out on his Ducks gig even before the first Utah game when the playoffs were still in play. He obviously was checked out when the Rose Bowl was in play. Lanning's character in finishing what he started at UGA adds another level of upgrade in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 9

At church this morning I talked with a friend who is a former president of the University of Georgia.  He is well in the know of the personnel of the football program.  He gave glowing reports of the character and abilities of our new football coach.  He is very well respected both on and off the field.  He spoke of many of the characteristics that we have  heard from other sources - energetic, great recruiter, etc.  I am very excited about this new chapter. I'm so glad we didn't go the Chip Kelly route.  Not that he is a poor coach, far from it, but we need new energy to take us into the future, not hoping we repeat past laurels. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Lanning is salivating to beat Michigan so he can get another crack at Sabin's offense (assuming Bama beats Cinncinatti).

People who think a defensive coordinator cannot have a significant impact on his team's offense don't understand what defensive coordinators do all day.  A clue.  They look at the next opponent's offense on film to find there strengths and flaws.  My guess is that DC's know precisely what OC's or even offensive assistants they would want on their staff should they become a head coach.  They even know what offensive line coaches are doing their job. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, Principal Duck said:

Well, aren't we paying him enough to be doing four jobs all at the same time? After all, that IS his job as HC.

I am loving the way this forum helps gather information and present it in such a positive way. I am so excited to hear he is a man of great character as well as a great coach. I think the point that many of you brought up regarding finishing what he started resonates well with that idea of excellence in character. Thanks for the great information everyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Once DL gets thru the early signing period it won't be that difficult to be a part of Georgia's playoff run.

He will or should be on the possible recruits and just as important settle the current roster, all this week. Bowl and playoff teams are allowed only so many practices in the next three weeks. Kirby Smart did it........

He already knows and is calling the coaches he wants on staff. RM should and could be helping with contacts for those coaches who accept the offer.

After the Natty, DL can fill in the spots thru the portal. Then start organizing the staff for spring practice.

Looking forward to his introductory press conference. Have a great week coach.

Go Ducks......

• Thumbs Up 3

I think we have to keep in mind it's not like Mullens hired him and was like... well good luck.  I'm sure they have a team vetting potential assistant coaches, reviewing the ones Dan wants and offering up suggestions on others.  The excitement from the players and recruits is a good sign and it's important to remember, the early signing period isn't the be all end all, players will sign later and the transfer portal is starting to become just as important as recruiting high school kids.

Also I think it's great he's staying to coach Georgia through their bowl games, shows he cares about the kids/team... unlike that new LSU coach...

Edited by deschutesduck
  • Thumbs Up 4

If Smart starts Daniels vs UM and in the rematch vs Bama, say hello to the DC of the national champion coming out west to coach Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 10:08 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

It's hard not to believe that Mario had mentally checked out on his Ducks gig even before the first Utah game when the playoffs were still in play. He obviously was checked out when the Rose Bowl was in play. Lanning's character in finishing what he started at UGA adds another level of upgrade in my opinion.

That is also when we heard that his mother was experiencing health issues, apparently unconscious.  That was probably weighing on his mind in addition to possible back channel inquiries from Miami.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, Jon Joseph said:

say hello to the DC of the national champion coming out west to coach Oregon.

Absolutely, I usually cheer for UM, but not this time. You're Goin' Down, Harbaugh!!

On 12/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If Smart starts Daniels vs UM and in the rematch vs Bama, say hello to the DC of the national champion coming out west to coach Oregon.

Agreed.

Daniels needs to start both games.  

Mom's gonna be mad! I think they just broke the sheet rock!

• Thumbs Up 2