Log Haulin

Thank you Justin

Wilcox would have kept Oregon in mediocrity.  Not know what Lanning will do but I love the potential. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

But Wilcox was offered the job and he turned it down. I can’t say whether he would’ve succeeded or failed because. Canzano infers that he may not have wanted into the pressure cooker that Oregon football has become. I can’t say I blame him. It’s a lot of pressure coming back to your alma mater. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Wow, interesting article.

And this explains why local sources, Canzano, Crepea, Feldman and Prehm, reported it wasn't a done deal after the Atlanta paper was reporting "the deal" on Friday.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like we're at the end of a Scooby Doo episode where they've already removed the mask to reveal the cantankerous old curmudgeon responsible for driving away all the customers at the old amusement park and now all the details about how and why are coming out..........

• Haha 5

Wait a minute...the latest received wisdom is that every coach is waiting for nothing more than a return to his alma mater.

Wilcox has disrupted the narrative!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spreads a rumor, from 'multiple sources,' then asks his source, communication director, and it is denied. That is all I need to know about Clownzano on this one. He was just reaching the whole time and continues to. 

The best source, sadly, was from Georgia and probably still is.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/12/2021 at 12:28 PM, Haywarduck said:

Spreads a rumor, from 'multiple sources,' then asks his source, communication director, and it is denied. That is all I need to know about Clownzano on this one. He was just reaching the whole time and continues to. 

The best source, sadly, was from Georgia and probably still is.

Totally agree…

Its almost like Canzano made up this article about Wilcox to try and save face for being wrong the whole time.

Canzano need to find new “sources” 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, Southwest Duck said:

Totally agree…

Its almost like Canzano made up this article about Wilcox to try and save face for being wrong the whole time.

Canzano need to find new “sources” 

I just subscribed to the Atlanta Journal.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, Haywarduck said:

I just subscribed to the Atlanta Journal.

Good, let us know who we get as OC. 

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

But Wilcox was offered the job and he turned it down. I can’t say whether he would’ve succeeded or failed because. Canzano infers that he may not have wanted into the pressure cooker that Oregon football has become. I can’t say I blame him. It’s a lot of pressure coming back to your alma mater. 

That was my thinking on the pressure and hoopla. 

Guest KingT

Canzano always trying to stir jello...Wilcox would've been a step back. I like young, fresh, SEC, recruiting. A new day, let's go!

Canzano is a "click bait" writer...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Canzano: "A twist -- Justin Wilcox turned down the Oregon Ducks"

I wouldn't call this a 'twist'. I'd call this Cazano-land material pure and utter horse manure. "On Friday Wilcox told Oregon, 'No thanks.'"

This is about the equivalent of trying to sell us on today's 40 year high inflation rate, is the "good kind" of inflation.

In the classic words of Jack Nicholson: "Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

Possibly my favorite part of Canzano's pretend-land is: "The plan even included T-shirts that would be printed and distributed at his introductory news conference."

Wowzaa... all that plus T-shirts --- and Wilcox still turned it down? Who'd have thunk it!

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 4:48 PM, Desert Duck said:

Canzano: "A twist -- Justin Wilcox turned down the Oregon Ducks"

I wouldn't call this a 'twist'. I'd call this Cazano-land material pure and utter horse manure. "On Friday Wilcox told Oregon, 'No thanks.'"

This is about the equivalent of trying to sell us on today's 40 year high inflation rate, is the "good kind" of inflation.

In the classic words of Jack Nicholson: "Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

Possibly my favorite part of Canzano's pretend-land is: "The plan even included T-shirts that would be printed and distributed at his introductory news conference."

Wowzaa... all that plus T-shirts --- and Wilcox still turned it down? Who'd have thunk it!

Word has it he wanted hooded sweatshirts and Phil said no.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/12/2021 at 5:55 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Word has it he wanted hooded sweatshirts and Phil said no.

Dang... and we were so darn close.  😉

Cal has no expectations to do anything in football so Wilcox can just coast and underachieve.  He's basically a lazy HC that has no ambition to better his situation or his team.  Bullet dodged!

So, he interviewed to turn them down?  He wasn't sure the pressure would be immense until he had an interview at which point, it dawns on Wilcox that perhaps Oregon's investments in the program and the recent run of recruiting classes, being in the hunt for the NCP, and so forth, means there is an expectation the HC deliver high level outcomes?

He realized that despite being known to be frustrated by Cal's administrative bureaucracy, he actually had it pretty good in his current role?

My mind is blown.

It is here that we pick up the incredible tale of the One That Got Away...

But before they tucked tail and settled on this DC from UGA, the administration would not take no for an answer.  They made a last run at Wilcox.  They begged him to take the job.  Mullens and Phil were not going to be denied in their pursuit of a coach no other team had even considered poaching.  A coach with a history of strangling offenses. 

Rebuffed, the Ducks regrouped, licked their wounded pride and finally settled for this rising and acknowledged star with massive potential upside.

I too, Canzano, will always wonder what could have been if that brilliant and elite coach, Justin Wilcox, had not spurned the Ducks to toil in mediocrity and sub-par facilities.  Truly a loss for the Ducks' program. 

• Haha 2

In the bigger picture?  I am stunned at the judgement of Mullens to think that Wilcox will take us to the promised land.  To me--Lanning is so much a better candidate for our goals, that I cannot wrap my head around what Rob was thinking.

That scares me, but apparently he did come to his senses.

Wowsa.

Helfrich and Rob Mullens_Gary Breedlove.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Now that “The Letter” has come out, the reasons behind Wilcox turning down Oregon are becoming more clear. Mullens bowed to pressure (once again) to hire a certain person for the job. Wilcox likely found out about the letter and, while he was probably flattered, he knew that he wasn’t the right person for the job. He also likely felt that his detractors would hold it over his head that he got the job only because his buddies lobbied for it. I kind of feel bad for him because this is probably something he didn’t ask for.

Warning: This is another Canzano piece.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/12/canzano-ex-oregon-ducks-greats-wrote-letter-to-ad-rob-mullens-worried-about-programs-lost-identity.html

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 6:28 PM, CalBear95 said:

So, he interviewed to turn them down?  He wasn't sure the pressure would be immense until he had an interview at which point, it dawns on Wilcox that perhaps Oregon's investments in the program and the recent run of recruiting classes, being in the hunt for the NCP, and so forth, means there is an expectation the HC deliver high level outcomes?

He realized that despite being known to be frustrated by Cal's administrative bureaucracy, he actually had it pretty good in his current role?

My mind is blown.

It is here that we pick up the incredible tale of the One That Got Away...

But before they tucked tail and settled on this DC from UGA, the administration would not take no for an answer.  They made a last run at Wilcox.  They begged him to take the job.  Mullens and Phil were not going to be denied in their pursuit of a coach no other team had even considered poaching.  A coach with a history of strangling offenses. 

Rebuffed, the Ducks regrouped, licked their wounded pride and finally settled for this rising and acknowledged star with massive potential upside.

I too, Canzano, will always wonder what could have been if that brilliant and elite coach, Justin Wilcox, had not spurned the Ducks to toil in mediocrity and sub-par facilities.  Truly a loss for the Ducks' program. 

And, don't forget, Wilcox also missed out on the T-shirts they had ready to go for the press conference.

Canzano has his connections, that much is for certain. From the outside looking in, it's hard to believe that Justin Wilcox would turn the Oregon job down, but we don't know any of the things going on inside of Justin's world. Justin has been at Cal for long enough that he understands the system and expectations there, likes the staff he works with, and loves his players there. He lives in a nice house in a beautiful part of the Bay Area, and is able to lead a fairly low key life at a college where academics are world class and clearly more important to the university than sports.

Not everyone dreams about coming home. Some are quite happy and satisfied with the the life they have made for themselves away from home. I think he likes what he has at Cal. I'm also certain that he noticed that a good percentage of the Oregon faithful all over social media were not excited about him coming back to coach the Ducks. Following "The Beast" who put in 90 plus hours a week every day all year would be hard enough without having to deal with disgruntled fans who weren't happy with your hire. 

Truth be told, I think he hit it out of the park when he interviewed. He's super smart, he knows Oregon football, he is personal friends with Oregon's biggest boosters and legendary former players, and I'm guessing he checked every single box that RM and PK had. It would definitely be a feel good story that they could promote to high heaven to have him come home, but he is a low key, salt of the earth kind of person who isn't a rah-rah, break out the T-shirts kind of person. He realized that life in the fishbowl as the head football in the Eugene wouldn't work for him. 

As it turned out, I think Lanning will be a much better fit as Oregon's football coach. I'm really excited to see what he brings to Oregon's table.

Edited by latracey
  • Like 1

So everyone else wants a shot at coming home and a shot at coaching a national championship contender... not to mention making around $6 - $8 million per-year. 

Except for Justin Wilcox. 

On 12/12/2021 at 5:42 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Warning: This is another Canzano piece.

Ah yes...it is in another thread and has been up.

Mr. FishDuck

This is a hit job by the faction of boosters that demanded Wilcox be hired.

They were Canzano’s ‘sources’ saying  nothing with Lanning was done yet and that reports were “inaccurate.” 

If they couldn’t have Wilcox, then they would exact revenge by embarrassing the administration and taking the shine off Lanning. 

And this tale is spreading online as ‘the true story behind the Oregon hire’ and the boosters have accomplished their goal. 

Canzano is either an unwitting tool to this end, should know better that he is being used, or in on the game because, clicks.  

It is all despicable behavior.  If you don’t buy what I want, I’ll do my best to damage whatever you do.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In the bigger picture?  I am stunned at the judgement of Mullens to think that Wilcox will take us to the promised land.  To me--Lanning is so much a better candidate for our goals, that I cannot wrap my head around what Rob was thinking.

That scares me, but apparently he did come to his senses.

Wowsa.

Helfrich and Rob Mullens_Gary Breedlove.jpg

Per above, I doubt that Wilcox was ever offered the job.  

This has all the hallmarks of an inside faction torching and undermining a decision they did not like.  

I would be shocked if this “rebuff” story is in any way true.  

Also, I would be willing to bet PK knows exactly which boosters did this and they may find themselves frozen out for the foreseeable future.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 5:46 PM, Desert Duck said:

So everyone else wants a shot at coming home and a shot at coaching a national championship contender... not to mention making around $6 - $8 million per-year. 

Except for Justin Wilcox. 

I'd be surprised if Lanning's starting salary is 6 to 8 million a year. That said, if Wilcox was even actually offered the job, he considered everything involved with the University of Oregon job and realized that he was satisfied where he was.  

Edited by latracey

My source says Lanning is now pissed, didn't get the t-shirts Wilcox was offered. The whole Lanning is our next coach is on ice! What a joke!

I give Canzano credit for the work on Lavish Larry and the problems with him running the Pac-12, but this whole series of stories was pathetic.

• Like 1

Guest Axel

It is hard to believe that Mullens offered Wilcox the job and that he turned it down. If that is true, it doesn't make any sense. Would Wilcox really turn down the Ducks because he's afraid of the pressure and expectations? That doesn't make any sense either. Why would Mullens offer Wilcox the job when Dan Lanning was available? That's another thing that makes no sense. 

The bottom line is that the Ducks are very lucky to have Lanning in the fold, but how it all happened seems very mysterious, and it may take a while before we actually learn the truth. 

In football recruiting the definition of "offer" is fluid.  A recruit may be offered a chance to try out for the team as a walk on, he may be a preferred walk on, assured a spot on the team but still paying his own way, there are non-committable offers i.e. we will give you a scholarship if..., finally there are actual offers of a spot on the team with all the benefits.  There may be more.

I imagine an potential offer to Justin Wilcox would include a lot of qualifications.  One could be the need for a detailed plan how he would improve his recruiting results (they suck).  If he declined he turned down the "offer".

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice thought, McDuck.  Instead of "and offer he couldn't refuse" it was "an offer he couldn't accept" because he couldn't meet the qualification.

• Thumbs Up 1

In relationships there is often things said on one side to make themselves feel better about themselves. I think this is what happened and Canzano bought it hook line and sinker. It doesn't mean we have to buy it. I done buying what people say, or write, show me!

• Like 1