30Duck

Leach Says it's "Selfish" for Players to Opt out of Bowl Games

Well to be blunt ... Yes, I agree with that statement it is selfish to skip out on a bowl game. 

However, Bowl season isn't what it used to be either. 

And... 

Just as fairly players aren't getting paid by their universities for participating in those games (yes some players might have NIL) so it is also important that those with a shot at being drafted protect themselves... Especially for a completely unimportant bowl game that no one is going to care about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Re-watching Friday Night Lights  on Netflix; I forgot about the episode where Mike Leach (yes, really) appears as a crazy man at a gas station who rambles on about Coach Taylor needing to figure out how to swing his pirate sword.

Leach does a convincing portrayal of a crazy man.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, this will probably be the death of me. 

Besides some of his infrequent funny cracks, and his often-times amazing air-raid offensive schemes, I have never been a fan of Coach Leach.

I understand why players opt out.  And that it is their right. 

But, as a Vietnam (Tet '68) veteran, Army Sgt., it's always about MacArthur's:  "The Corps, and the Corps, and The Corps" to me.

As an Oregon grad, it's always about my Alma Mater, and never the individual to me.

I guess I'm too old now, and set in my ways to accept it, and in the heart of the matter, I agree with Leach on this one.

old man GIF

I agree with the pirate on this one.

What about last game of the season, why just the bowl game?

In fact, why not the whole senior season?!

We harp about coaches leaving early, but it's ok for players?

Football is a team sport, isn't it?

If your worried about injuries, take out an insurance policy. Ifo did. Marcus did.

The school paid the parents back for it too.

Go out in style with your brothers.

Play the bowl game.

• Thumbs Up 1

With NIL, I don't think you can claim players aren't being paid.

All I know is that from now on, I will think twice before attending a non-major bowl.  I hate everything about Texas anyway, so no Alamo for me.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

Besides some of his infrequent funny cracks, and his often-times amazing air-raid offensive schemes, I have never been a fan of Coach Leach.

A full air raid offense doesn't win championships... Leach spent a lot of time at WSU and had 0 division championships. 

USC went air raid with slightly more success... But still 0 pac-12 championships. 

I am not going to fault the players one bit for opting out IF they have pro potential.  There is no use risking your future for a bag of swag and bragging rights for boosters, alums and fans.  They are not the ones that will feed your family in the future.

I am sure we will never see an opt-out in the playoffs, or even a NY bowl.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Love him or hate him he was a thorn in Oregons side far too many times. 

On 12/12/2021 at 3:11 PM, 30Duck said:

I'm glad that I'm still able to say that I've never agreed with anything Leach has said

Mike Leach Blasts 'Selfish' players who sit out Bowl Games

Larry Brown Sports Steve DelVechio

Mike Leach takes Mississippi State job, leaves WSU | Tacoma News Tribune

If by "selfish" Leach means self-serving, then sure. But when your coach has bolted for greener pastures, it's a rather meaningless bowl game with an interim coach, and you've got literally tens-of-millions-of-dollars on the line, then I'd have said "Thank You," and hit the bricks in a nano second.

Leach needs to stop trying to sell fans on the fact that FBS is little more than corporate America... for the school, coaches, and the kids. 

Edited by Desert Duck

Hey want to come in for some unpaid overtime?  You'll get nothing out of it but it could end your career.

Yeah i think i'll pass...

• Thumbs Up 1

Leach can be a funny guy and he has been the occasional thorn in the Ducks side.  I will always smile at his "Fat girlfriend" rant. 

I have to ask him though... Why is it OK for the coaches to bail on their team to take a new job, but not OK for the players to put their self interest ahead of the team when it's their future they are trying to protect?

Just asking for a friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

I fully understand 'Opting Out'. And, I agree whole heartedly. The only reason these kids would opt out us because they are slated to be drafted in their dream job. A simple ankle sprain could drop a player down the pecking board. Thats real money with signing bonuses.

Would any one of us risk $1 million or more with only 4 months to ink that deal? Not one of us would. These kids are 22 hears old and get one shot to be drafted. Just One Shot. NFL, Not For Long is NOT a team sport. They will cut you in a second. No loyalty. We are fans, we aren't going anywhere. For the kids come draft day, its a business. Its best we look at it like that. After all, we wouldn't leave Millions on the table if we have lived hand to mouth our entire life.

Justin Herbert didn't opt out. But I guess he's not the kind of guy that only thinks about himself. 

On 12/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Justin Herbert didn't opt out. But I guess he's not the kind of guy that only thinks about himself. 

Herbert did stay to play in the Rose Bowl, not the Alamo Bowl.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:10 AM, 30Duck said:

Herbert did stay to play in the Rose Bowl, not the Alamo Bowl.

My point was Herbert was a SR and played his last UO game in the Rose. Brown was the QB for the Alamo.