Kleibs

Recruiting Getting Hurt?

I am overly excited about Dan Lanning and the possibility of Kenny Dillingham for OC. BUT…..our verbal commits are falling like flies. Now today Luli is reopening his recruitment. Lanning needs to get this staff put together quickly and start engaging with these recruits and making relationships. Not a fan of him coaching during the playoffs. All this does is tell recruits to wait.18-21 year olds are not going to wait ( I wouldn’t)! Ducks football comes first!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

The ones that get away are not the only fish in the stream.  When I had employees reporting to me, if they indicated they might be leaving I never tried to talk them into staying.  "Let me know right a way so I can open the position to potential new blood."

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/12/2021 at 7:16 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

The ones that get away are not the only fish in the stream.  When I had employees reporting to me, if they indicated they might be leaving I never tried to talk them into staying.  "Let me know right a way so I can open the position to potential new blood."

This is not a good situation so close to early signing day.

It is a recruiting dead period right now so he can't do in home visits or on campus visits. 

So it's all phone calls anyways at this point. 

Just remember there is always the transfer portal. It may not be ideal but some more expirence at a high level of beneficial. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest KingT

I'm sure Coach is making calls and trying to set visits for whomever he can, but these kids are hearing from Coaches all over the place try and pull them away. Most aren't able to resist the fresh love and attention. I'd probably do the same. The pressure on these Coaches during this time period is insane.

The timing, "so close to early signing day", was not Oregon's choice.  Once Cristobal left the alternatives were to hire or leave the position vacant.  Mullens made the obvious choice.

There is no optimal time to bring in a new player.  Spring practice is in April.  For conditioning it's nice if a player graduates from high school early and comes in for winter term, but the same player can enter spring term and make spring practice.  

A good number of us feel hurt by MC's departure. We feel hurt, betrayed, and like he broke a commitment.

That's why I have no issue with Lanning coaching his boys in the playoff and hopefully the National Championship game. If anything, it tells me that he is a man of his word and he wants to see what he starts through to completion.

I'm not worried about recruiting. Lanning is a proven recruiter and there's something to be said about coming to play for a loyal, hopefully championship winning coach.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Oregon has one of the youngest rosters in the nation, with a majority of the recent highly rated classes still waiting to see the field on a regular basis.  If any program could afford a down year in recruiting it is the Oregon Ducks.  Not ideal but not the end of the world.

• Thumbs Up 3

All good comments and points well made.

Staying thru the playoffs shows our current players, future players and us fans that Coavh Lanning will finish what he starts. 

That speaks to his character and oozes substance. He probably won't abandon ship.

MC and some of his merry men abandoned the ship for their own best interests. MC moved fast to keep HIS  Oregon recruits on board for Miami. Please,  anyone explain to me that he didn't..... Please

Do we think Coach Lanning is currently calling his Georgia recruits to come to Oregon? While stilling coaching st Georgia?

We will find out soon enough. Some players may follow DL thru the portal and a few recruits to Georgia may hold off on early signing day.

But for certain DL didn't have any time to preplan like the 3 weeks MC did.

Let's go Coach Lanning.......

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/13/2021 at 7:09 AM, McDuck said:

Not ideal but not the end of the world.

So true.  We have to play with the hand we are dealt.  Youth is on our side.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:33 PM, KingT said:

I'm sure Coach is making calls and trying to set visits for whomever he can, but these kids are hearing from Coaches all over the place try and pull them away. Most aren't able to resist the fresh love and attention. I'd probably do the same. The pressure on these Coaches during this time period is insane.

I do think there has to be a big headwind. Mario sold himself, I think, more than even the program. That will be a tough one to beat, but it will be Lannings first test. Not one I am going to grade too hard.

The transfer portal will be critical to a guy with SEC connections. He knows more talent than we do out west. He saw, as Mario said, guys get hit in the face, and saw how they reacted at Georgia. He will, in my opinion, go after some good talent in the transfer portal to help out any holes he sees.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:13 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

All good comments and points well made.

Staying thru the playoffs shows our current players, future players and us fans that Coavh Lanning will finish what he starts. 

That speaks to his character and oozes substance. He probably won't abandon ship.

MC and some of his merry men abandoned the ship for their own best interests. MC moved fast to keep HIS  Oregon recruits on board for Miami. Please,  anyone explain to me that he didn't..... Please

Do we think Coach Lanning is currently calling his Georgia recruits to come to Oregon? While stilling coaching st Georgia?

We will find out soon enough. Some players may follow DL thru the portal and a few recruits to Georgia may hold off on early signing day.

But for certain DL didn't have any time to preplan like the 3 weeks MC did.

Let's go Coach Lanning.......

I would love to see some of those Georgia recruits come Oregon’s way. However, after looking at the current commitment list, they are all southern grown and most likely have no desire to head out west.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, David Marsh said:

It is a recruiting dead period right now so he can't do in home visits or on campus visits. 

So it's all phone calls anyways at this point. 

Just remember there is always the transfer portal. It may not be ideal but some more expirence at a high level of beneficial. 

Bo Nix in portal….come to Oregon ha ha!

On 12/13/2021 at 7:57 AM, Cedarhillsduck said:

Bo Nix in portal….come to Oregon ha ha!

I'd rather take my chances on Thompson or Butterfield.... new OC coming in to shape that talent. 

Nix is leaving Auburn... not really a glowing endorsement of his abilities. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we may be way under estimating the gravitational pull of The best D coordinator in the country coming out to Nike U.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:35 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think we may be way under estimating the gravitational pull of The best D coordinator in the country coming out to Nike U.

Tell, caoch..catch... What drew you to Oregon?

"Have you looked at that Adidas, uh, stuff?"

"C'mon, man!"

Right now the timing is super awkward ... a win at this point with many recruits is getting them to hold onto the commitment but opting not to sign early to get to know the coach better. Lanning is officially hired today and has only been the head coach (unofficially speaking) for two days. It wasn't his fault that he is in this situation it is just the situation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Frankly, if he's a coach who can take us the next step, I'll take a year with NO RECRUITS AT ALL. 

With a really young roster, the transfer portal, some guys who are uncommitted/undecided, maybe a smaller class, some guys who'll look at Oregon who weren't going to before, some guys who may follow Lanning out west, and maybe a few 3* recruits who have potential...we'll be just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have faith fellow Duck fans.

Everything works out the way it's supposed to.

Personally, the current roster matters more. 

High school kids are less invested because they just don't know what they're really doing.  

How many of them are going to recognize MC built on the recruiting foundation the Snake launched?

How many can even recognize MC solidified that legacy? Not to mention  coaches from every region of the country recognized this team is ready made for a solid title run IN 2022?

Heck, most fans don't even recognize it.  

Injuries this year exposed how solid this team truly is.  And now they have experience.  

I reviewed the talent pool of the recruits we've lost so far.  I don't think they would crack the starting unit ahead of the talent that played this year.  

We could always use more depth.  But the impact players in 2022 are here NOW.  

Now I have issues about next year myself.  But Mario Cristobal gave a talented coach a battle ready group capable of doing some real damage next year.

The isn't a single recruit we lost that worries me.  We're going to kick some butt next year.  Trust me.

• Like 1

It will be refreshing to do well in recruiting, but not hear about that being the end all. 

It is known a coach can recruit to Oregon, get it done and move on to football!

I want to hear the coaches talk about how they talked about Patrick Chungs back in the day, the potential, not the stars. I then want to see that potential met with scheme and effort. 

If I never hear about our recruiting rankings again I will be a happy fan! I get it, we can recruit to Oregon, now get it done in the gym, on the practice field and on Saturdays.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 7:16 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

I'm with Grandpa Duck. The timing here isn't good, but it is what it is. As many of the past and current players I've heard have said, Oregon, in and of itself, is a pretty special place for many reasons. The Ducks have a pretty solid roster at this point and none of the recruits in waiting are going to make or break the team.

Some of the really good recruits will sign on Wednesday, and others will wait until February to see how Lanning's staff shapes up. As Grandpa pointed out, the ocean is vast and filled with big fish in addition to the fact that there is more talent in the transfer portal than ever before. Do as well as you can to add to the flock, but concentrate on keeping the current roster intact. Oregon is going to be just fine.

Edited by latracey

On 12/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, latracey said:

Some of the really good recruits will sign on Wednesday, and others will wait until February to see how Lanning's staff shapes up....

Thanks for pointing that out--it totally went right by me that the December signing period is not the only one.

Probably the most important thing as of now for recruiting  is to make sure that the kids that want to enroll early get what they need to make it happen. It doesn’t matter as much for the rest that wanted to wait in the first place. I’m sure Dan will be all over this. This is not his first recruiting rodeo. 

Also remember that recruiting is more about the relationship to the coach/s that did it, not necessarily the school.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:33 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Frankly, if he's a coach who can take us the next step, I'll take a year with NO RECRUITS AT ALL. 

With a really young roster, the transfer portal, some guys who are uncommitted/undecided, maybe a smaller class, some guys who'll look at Oregon who weren't going to before, some guys who may follow Lanning out west, and maybe a few 3* recruits who have potential...we'll be just fine.

I completely agree with this; let's say we lose eight total recruits...I am confident that Lanning can mine half of that number out of the portal and the damage won't be that bad.  A good trade in my view, to make a new start!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

The timing, "so close to early signing day", was not Oregon's choice.  Once Cristobal left the alternatives were to hire or leave the position vacant.  Mullens made the obvious choice.

There is no optimal time to bring in a new player.  Spring practice is in April.  For conditioning it's nice if a player graduates from high school early and comes in for winter term, but the same player can enter spring term and make spring practice.  

Early signing day means it is better to get rid of the existing coach sooner rather than later. Mario should have had the sack to leave when he mentally checked out.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:47 PM, Mike West said:

Have faith fellow Duck fans.

Everything works out the way it's supposed to.

Personally, the current roster matters more. 

High school kids are less invested because they just don't know what they're really doing.  

How many of them are going to recognize MC built on the recruiting foundation the Snake launched?

How many can even recognize MC solidified that legacy? Not to mention  coaches from every region of the country recognized this team is ready made for a solid title run IN 2022?

Heck, most fans don't even recognize it.  

Injuries this year exposed how solid this team truly is.  And now they have experience.  

I reviewed the talent pool of the recruits we've lost so far.  I don't think they would crack the starting unit ahead of the talent that played this year.  

We could always use more depth.  But the impact players in 2022 are here NOW.  

Now I have issues about next year myself.  But Mario Cristobal gave a talented coach a battle ready group capable of doing some real damage next year.

The isn't a single recruit we lost that worries me.  We're going to kick some butt next year.  Trust me.

Have faith and work the Portal!

It's the same scenario as when Taggart left with less than two weeks before early signing and it took a few days before it was decided Mario would be the head coach.  By that time a lot of recruits decommited but he was able to salvage a high ranking class (I think 13?).  If Lanning can recover a top 15 recruiting class by the time the regular signing period ends, I'd consider that a huge success.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:09 AM, McDuck said:

Oregon has one of the youngest rosters in the nation, with a majority of the recent highly rated classes still waiting to see the field on a regular basis.  If any program could afford a down year in recruiting it is the Oregon Ducks.  Not ideal but not the end of the world.

Also remember that we are probably at the bottom of a U curve now in terms of the impact of this coaching shake-up on recruiting.   I would expect Lanning and the new OC to bring some of their recruits to UO as well, either via new signing or transferring...   Don't panic yet, my fellow Duck fans!

• Like 1