Warrenton

Lanning Hire Starting to Make More Sense

Justin Wilcox and Kalani Sitake both turned us down. I haven't seen any reporting on Chip Kelly yet but who knows who else declined. It's shocking to be honest.

Hiring an a 3-year assistant who's never been a head coach may have been one of the few real options after MC torched the place.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:17 PM, Warrenton said:

Justin Wilcox and Kalani Sitake both turned us down. I haven't seen any reporting on Chip Kelly yet but who knows who else declined. It's shocking to be honest.

Hiring an a 3-year assistant who's never been a head coach may have been one of the few real options after MC torched the place.

Sources? My bet is Lanning was the real choice, and a good choice.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

What would you expect a rejected candidate to say other than "I turned it down."?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 6:17 PM, Warrenton said:

Hiring an a 3-year assistant who's never been a head coach

New England drafted this QB named Brady in the 6th round. He'd had a nondescript 4 years at Michigan, but the Patriots had to make a pick, so they decided, "what the heck".

Lanning was very impressive in those 3 years. He was going to be a head Coach somewhere, I'm glad it's at Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

One of the truest sayings ever uttered:

"Gold is where you find it."

Guest KingT

This hire feels a lot like what's going on in the NFL with McVeigh, Staley, LaFleur, and even Klingsbury. Though a few of them had small college coach experience, for the most part, they were all assistants or coordinators.

This is the current trend so I'd expect that Rob did his homework and unlocked some value here. I like the risk here rather than re-tread guys who are just bouncing around. College football is 24/7 and requires youthful non stop energy. Remember, when a guy takes an interview, there's a very good chance he's simply positioning for a massive pay raise...

I look at how my business has played out the last 10 years with hiring ......

Not one single retread or experienced industry person panned out, not one of them out of a near dozen. Their past track record warranted the chance we gave them.

But what they were before the hire was what they were after. Average, mediocre at best.

However 5 new hires out of 9 who only had basic sales skills have helped drive sales up over 400% the last five years. The other 4 used us as a stepping stone. Good for them.

They were all young, aggressive,  adding our knowledge and training to their skill set.

Lanning and his new staff have been cutting their teeth, in the trenches just like Chip, Justin and any other candidate interviewed. 

They have been taught by mentors while learning on the job. Just like Chip, Justin, David Shaw and MC were.

It's DL's turn under the microscope. 

It's how it works,  I think.

• Like 1

The fact that Lanning apparently reached out to Mullens and the Ducks, seems like a good starting point for the next step in Oregon's growth.

Who knows what they will ultimately hatch together, but I bet it will be far more rewarding than this dud!

5770364397a245f41fbd0505b2c41d89.jpg 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This was an assistant that had been a two time finalist for the Broyles award, one of the top recruiters in the nation, and is well known for his work ethic. This guy is riding a wave of success, and has turned it into a head coaching job at Oregon. 

Seems to me that this is exactly the type of candidates you want to interview, and we are one of the few teams that could pull this guy out of Georgia. 

I applaud the results.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I feel a bit better about the hire knowing he applied for the job. 

Edited by 1Ducker1