Jon Joseph

Read These and Weep- the Pac-12 Continues its Deep Dive

247 Sports - Recruiting rankings 1 week prior to early signing day -

9. Stanford - Maybe Shaw is again serious about his team's performance?

15 Oregon - THIS is to be expected with Cristobal crawling away. Banks, along with QB Quinn Ewers, have both chosen Texas

37 Arizona - A good look for Coach Fisch but not for the conference

40 UCLA - Right in Chip's wheelhouse

46 Colorado - The Buffs since leaving the B12 have been a CFB after thought

49  Oregon State - This is a big improvement by J Smith who undoubtedly will also pick from the portal

50 Utah - Many Poly kids are underrated. Utah coach's its players up.  Portal transfer Cam Rising is the Pac-12 QB of the year. Whit knows how to work the portal.

63 CAL - Tough place to recruit to. Strawberry Canyon is a CFB graveyard.

66 UW - To be expected with a coaching change but the numbers were not good to begin with. QB Haener has decided to stay at Fresno with Coach Tedford. In  2022, he may be playing in the better conference?

71 Washington State - Our Palouse 'partner' will never finish big time in recruiting.

90 ASU - Coaching and NCAA turmoil. ASU's best RB and best D player have both transferred out.

101 USC - With the hire of Riley this number will improve. But 2022 will still not be a banner USC class.

These numbers are putrid. These numbers offer very little hope for conference improvement. Frankly, without expansion, I have no idea how the new commissioner plans to raise the performance of the conference in CFB and the nation's view of the Pac-12?  One extra P5 OCC game may help but, only if the Pac-12 wins these games? 

Coach Lanning is coming from a school that has been to the CFB Final Four the same number of times as the entire Pac-12 conference.

• Thanks 1

Not great numbers for sure.  But this is the beginning of a new week.  A new coach, a new era so lets see how the change helps the Ducks and Oregon Football's direction. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Rating = OVER RATED in a lot of instances as stars change based upon who offers.

Get your kids AND coach 'em up.

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest willville

Considering the timing of all of this sitting at 15 is quite good. Ducks have a chance to get into the top 10. 

On 12/13/2021 at 1:16 PM, Steven A said:

Rating = OVER RATED in a lot of instances as stars change based upon who offers.

A good point. But there are 12 teams in a conference that produced 6 bowl teams in 2021. Not all of 2 and 3 star recruits will be coached up. Looking at the OOC schedules in 2022, I will be surprised if the conference wins the majority of its OOC games. And continuing to play 9 conference games does not help the cause.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I will be surprised if the conference wins the majority of its OOC games. And continuing to play 9 conference games does not help the cause.

Being in a transition away from the "prevent offense" and "cuckoo clock time management team" might make us part the OOC failure next year which is an Ok hiccup.  And it will probably be the last year of 9 games with the new Commish and the Alliance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

40 UCLA - Right in Chip's wheelhouse

Now that cracked me up!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Now that cracked me up!

Personally, I am very happy that we will not be watching Act 2 of Chip in Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/13/2021 at 10:51 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Personally, I am very happy that we will not be watching Act 2 of Chip in Eugene.

Oh Yes we will and it will be at Autzen with a New Head Coach, Not Named Chip 2.0.  Can you feel the ENERGY!?!  I just kidding you JJ.  I am hoping for a Major Turn Around in our team with the infusion of NEW BLOOD!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 1:16 PM, Steven A said:

However, SA, no school without a Blue Chip ratio, 50% or more of the roster 4 and 5 stars, won a BCS or has won a Playoff title. Going to miss on certain 4 and 5s, but today's analysis of incoming recruits is pretty darn good.

Edited by Jon Joseph

We have a base to work with from the MC era. This year there is coaching turmoil in the PAC 12. There are a lot of very solid players in the transfer portal to fill gaps for Oregon if needed. Oregon will be fine…The puppies are, well just that, the puppies.

If Lanning can pull some SEC territory defensive line, or linebackers out West for Oregon, that would make me smile.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:06 PM, Drake said:

We have a base to work with from the MC era. This year there is coaching turmoil in the PAC 12. There are a lot of very solid players in the transfer portal to fill gaps for Oregon if needed. Oregon will be fine…The puppies are, well just that, the puppies.

If Lanning can pull some SEC territory defensive line, or linebackers out West for Oregon, that would make me smile.

As I noted earlier, one of Lanning's best DBs at UGA, No. 5, Ringo, is from Tacoma, WA.  He has recruited out west.

If Oregon takes care of business, it won't matter a lot how the conference is rated.  Is Cincinnati from a great conference?  No, but they are in the CFP because they took care of business.  Is the WCC a great conference?  It's no ACC, but Gonzaga is a national power, so the league doesn't much matter.  Had we not lost inexcusably to Stanford, and not gotten blown out by Utah, Oregon would be in the CFP - conference or no conference.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 10:16 AM, Steven A said:

Amen to this.  Look no further than Utes.  They played like a bunch of 5-star recruits to me!

No. 101 for SC is shocking indeed.  Thanks for sharing Jon.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, Jon Joseph said:

no school without a Blue Chip ratio, 50% or more of the roster 4 and 5 stars, won a BCS or has won a Playoff title.

True, and that should be the aim.  However, the correct call on Dyer's knee/elbow and/or DT making a block (I think it was Richard Sherman) for Mariota, we very well could have won a BCS and then a Natty v Notre Dame.

• Thumbs Up 1

Year one may be rocky given early signing is upon us, but maybe some wait for Feb. with all the switcheroony going on.  And, Lanning will probably pull a couple major transfer portal coups.  I hope.  We were #9 when MC bolted for the tropics, let's see where we finish in February.  JC's and Transfers don't always show in the rankings either, the story could be rosier than what the 24/7 composite finishes with.  I'm more concerned about good player development position coaches, and good scheming OC/DC.  (Lanning will probably have a hand in Defense?).  Year 2 (12 months from now) let's check the recruit rankings then!

• Thumbs Up 1

I've said it multiple times... but with Oregon a top 20 finish would be fantastic all things considered. We'd prefer a top 10 but that is pretty difficult in our situation. 

Also... keep in mind 85 is the max number of scholarships a program has to work with... right now Oregon is projected to be over that max number with our measly 12 commits currently. There simply isn't a whole lot of wiggle room in this class. Now, if there are some more transfers (only 1 so far post-MC leaving) and some more graduations / players leaving to try going pro.. we might have a bit more to work with but this class was going to be tight regardless. We are LOADED with players who are classified as Freshman for one reason or another. 

The next two years we are going to have a whole lot of players peaking. No excuse for youth next year, at least in terms of players (maybe the HC though? lol). 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, David Marsh said:

I've said it multiple times... but with Oregon a top 20 finish would be fantastic all things considered. We'd prefer a top 10 but that is pretty difficult in our situation. 

Also... keep in mind 85 is the max number of scholarships a program has to work with... right now Oregon is projected to be over that max number with our measly 12 commits currently. There simply isn't a whole lot of wiggle room in this class. Now, if there are some more transfers (only 1 so far post-MC leaving) and some more graduations / players leaving to try going pro.. we might have a bit more to work with but this class was going to be tight regardless. We are LOADED with players who are classified as Freshman for one reason or another. 

The next two years we are going to have a whole lot of players peaking. No excuse for youth next year, at least in terms of players (maybe the HC though? lol). 

This season you are allowed to go over the limit by 7 scholarship players. Should be plenty of openings to find gems from the portal.

• Thumbs Up 1