Charles Fischer

Final Version: Pertinent Quotes from the Dan Lanning Press Conference

These are the quotes from the press conference that I thought had the most relevance, and was not the usual stuff we hear.  (What I have bolded below is my emphasis)

A Reminder as we Proceed...I am not a lapdog of the Athletic Department or a coach.  I wanted Cristobal to succeed, and I want this coach to succeed, and when I see something...good or bad, I will call it as I see it.  You may certainly disagree with me, but I am not promoting an angle.  (Remember this is a free site with no revenue to me.)

Some people will take any criticism of the coach as a personal attack on them, and thus must "protect" the coach.  I dealt with that a ton on other sites, but here we have rules of conduct.  So buckle up for the Lanning Era, as I give you my thoughts that are unvarnished, but sincere.  

Beginning of Quotes:  (I will be gradually adding to these so keep coming back to check)

To Former Players: "I am a servant to you whether I have coached you or not. We want you to know that this is a program you can be proud of and part of. This is a place where your involvement is very important to us.  We want you back, and even when you leave home, this place should always feel like home to you."

(While recognize this is in reference to the letter yesterday, it is also part of the healing process that begun when Chip Kelly alienated former players and bridges still need to be rebuilt.  I thought more of that would have taken place over the last four years, but maybe not?)

About His Staff: "Our staff will operate with a lunch-pail mentality, we will be relentless in our pursuit of excellence, and we will be built on what we do, not what we say." 

Is that a reference to the prior coaching staff? Regardless...I love it!

About Meeting his wife Sophia: "It's crazy to think that our journey together started about 16 years ago at the Outback Steakhouse, as I was a server and she was a "To-Go" girl."

A humble start to his career and found his mate before he was in the big-time.

About the Program: "This program is staged to compete and win championships.  We won't shy from expectations, and our goal is to compete for National Championships.  On offense, defense and special teams...we will attack! The word 'passive' will not exist in our system.  We will apply pressure and move on the field with an aggressive but disciplined approach.

We are going to be to be willing to be on the cutting edge, and we are going to be willing to change."

We're going to move forward with our program by relying on old-school principals, some tough edge, but building with hard work, dedication, and toughness with a creative approach.  We will always tell them (the players) what is necessary, not always what they want to hear.

Jerry Thompson of Ducks Illustrated asked, "What team was the most difficult to prepare for, and a lot of fans felt that Oregon was not too creative on offense. Are you going to be more creative? (Than what we had)  

Coach Dan Lanning's answer:  "Ultimately the teams that had balanced approaches, but attacked weaknesses on every inch of the field. (Were the most difficult) The No. 1 indicator in college football is explosive plays. We're going to be a team built off of explosive plays on offense, defense and special teams. You have to be able to push the ball down the field, you have to be able to attack in the air and on the ground."

On Recruiting: "We're going to recruit the best. The brand of Oregon has never been stronger, and we can go into any home and sign the best players to Oregon. That approach is not the fast approach... If the best player is five minutes away, then we'll go five minutes to get the best player.  If the best player is 13 hours away, then we'll go 13 hours to get the best player."

On Oregon Being a Stepping Stone: "I am not asking you to trust me, I am asking you for an opportunity to earn your trust. My situation is unique; I want to stay at Oregon as long as Oregon will have me.  There is 'no-other' for me, as this is a premier job in the nation, and not just in the league. It was going to take a premier job to make me leave the situation I was in. I am thrilled to be here because I know what we can do here. There doesn't have to be a 'next-step' for me; this job can be the final step."

DL Press Conf Photo 2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

He did say he wants to be aggressive on offense, defense and special teams.

Also an emphasis on teaching and fully developing players.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great! I'm happy. Our 35th head coach hired in his 35th year. Rich Brooks was also 35. I think Dan will get us to the National Championship in a fraction of what it took Rich to get us the Rose Bowl.

Only "coach speak" that alarmed me was "Process". MC said way too many times "trust the Process". Pretty sure that comes from Saban. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I came away feeling good about the trajectory of the team going forward.  I liked a lot of what he said he wants to do, I think he realizes that OREGON is the dream job, and a destination.

I think he stays at Oregon as long as we want him.

It sounded to me like he is willing to keep some of the existing position coaches and that he is willing to listen to advice as he makes staff decisions.

I sense good times on the horizon for Duck fans everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest Axel

Overall, I was unimpressed with the fawning nature of most of the questions. The 13-hour-drive emphasis was ridiculous. 

In a similar vein, Joey Mac interviewed Rob Mullens this morning and didn't ask a single substantive question. There was no mention of the other coaching candidates, and especially no mention of Justin Wilcox, no mention of the "Joey Harrington letter," and no mention of the offensive coordinator search. Is it true that Wilcox was offered the job and turned it down? We don't know. Is it true that Lanning wasn't Mullens' first choice? We don't know. How did the interview with Chip Kelly go? We don't know.

Why are so many members of the media afraid to ask real questions? If we want to hear nothing but rah-rah-rah in a press conference, let's just turn the questioning over to the Ducks cheerleading squad. 

It’s been so long I’ve forgotten what an explosion play is.

Glad he squelched the William Jewel College rumor… puts me at rest.  Folks, it’s pointless to ask in effect would he ever leave for another job.  I hope Lanning’s phone is ringing off the hook this time next year and every year he’s at the UO.  What does that tell you?  Guarantee you he will leave at some point.  If not for another school, could well be the pros.  In the meantime I’m going to enjoy a coach who I consider to be a rising star and one who will bring an excitement to UO football we haven’t seen since the Chip Kelly era.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 3:20 PM, Axel said:

Why are so many members of the media afraid to ask real questions?

Because they could lose their credentials and access. Oregon is now big-time and the AD operates in a arrogant fashion compared to a decade ago when they asked me to have media credentials.  Now...they only want the big media outlets, and only those that suck-up.  They treat photojournalists with equal disdain as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I could see him camping out at Oregon while his boys grow up.  The point being that his old college is not in the same league as Oregon.  But You and I know that money and opportunity would be the deciding factor.  I do believe that Oregon would compensate him for setting the bar high, championships, major bowls, program prominence and recruiting or developing player talent to the next level.  This is an ideal situation unless, the wife has a great dislike of Oregon, the state.

Edited by EzDucksIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to say that hearing it a second time gave me greater appreciation.  He is dead-serious about winning a National Championship and really believes he can do it at Oregon.

You must have the talent, but you also must have belief you can.  I think he has both!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We are going to be to be willing to be on the cutting edge, and we are going to be willing to change."

Is that a powerful quote for those of us watching the offense? This shouts an attitude not at Oregon in years!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Coach Dan Lanning's answer:  "Ultimately the teams that had balanced approaches, but attacked weaknesses on every inch of the field. (Were the most difficult) The No. 1 indicator in college football is explosive plays. We're going to be a team built off of explosive plays on offense, defense and special teams.

This was the other indicator, if not an announcement that things on offense are going to improve.  Am I reading that right? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think what stood out to me the most was DL's constant use of the concept of being of service to other. That is the single greatest lesson I have learned in my life. Everything flows from there.

DL' didn't come off as polished or smooth. The way he spoke (voice inflection)and his body language told me that he is genuine.  Really won me over. The last two were smooth talkers.  We don't need a salesman, we need a coach. Sure hope he can coach.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, Log Haulin said:

The way he spoke (voice inflection) and his body language told me that he is genuine. 

I agree, and to add to it--he was nervous, but his sincerity really shown through that. He really believes he can win a 'Natty here!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Mario seemed to embrace Vince Lombardi ball and just pound the other team long enough and get out with a win. Lanning seems to embrace dominating the other team in all phases and the wins will follow. I know which one I prefer.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/13/2021 at 3:41 PM, EzDucksIt said:

I could see him camping out at Oregon while his boys grow up.    This is an ideal situation unless, the wife has a great dislike of Oregon, the state.

I think there are two things which could sour Lanning's stay at Oregon. If his wife is miserable, he is miserable. I don't know if there is a welcome party, or someway to get her connected to the community, but EZ hit this one on the head.

The other is if he is a failure. We hope every program, NFL team in the world is after him. That means the program is growing developing and Lanning is a success. If he is a failure, then he won't be here too long, just the way it goes.

Even that success and an unhappy wife won't cut it. I have a feeling that may have been part of what led to Mario leaving. A wife who grew up in the South may not get the ways and weather of Oregon. Mario said they loved Eugene at first sight, I didn't see it in his wife.

• Thumbs Up 1

John Canzano felt that something Lanning said could be the new mantra...to begin making T-Shirts of...."We will Grind Together."

You might want to re-think that one....unless you meant it to be funny?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This was the other indicator, if not an announcement that things on offense are going to improve.  Am I reading that right? 

I kind of gather that, should the Defense get a turnover, we are going to step on some throats to make them count.  Not like what happened with Utah.  Offensive help comes from defensive stops, whether its a pick, fumble recovery or turn over on downs.  Use all to help the team score points.  Playing to win, not playing NOT to lose. 

John Canzano said that, LOL, he trying to get on Lannings good side, Already?

Overall, I was unimpressed with the fawning nature of most of the questions. The 13-hour-drive emphasis was ridiculous. 

New coach honeymoon... I'd be shocked if we got any real tough questions. 

Also what kind of tough questions are out there. He charmed his way through the "you've never been a head coach before" question. 

On 12/13/2021 at 5:25 PM, Haywarduck said:

Even that success and an unhappy wife won't cut it. I have a feeling that may have been part of what led to Mario leaving. A wife who grew up in the South may not get the ways and weather of Oregon. Mario said they loved Eugene at first sight, I didn't see it in his wife.

Wives can be very protective of their men.  Because of the kids, at school.  Passion from fans.  They have feeling too but their spouse make big money at a great sacrifice of time away from family.  I get it.

Seems that when he did well, he faced criticism, who doesn't?  When he did poorly, A LOT of criticism.  He was a HC before, they should be more than familiar with it.  But when you are far from family, his and hers, no one to help through the tough times.  Feels very alone.

With Lanning, there are NO excuses.  Home is where you hang your hat.  There will be rough spots but how he handles those will make him stronger or he will start packing his bags early.  Happy Wife, Happy Life.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:48 PM, David Marsh said:

Also what kind of tough questions are out there. He charmed his way through the "you've never been a head coach before" question. 

I remember that 3rd grade basketball team. They were no joke!

• Haha 3

GO DUCKS!!

On 12/13/2021 at 5:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

John Canzano felt that something Lanning said could be the new mantra...to begin making T-Shirts of...."We will Grind Together."

The first time he made the t-shirt story was bad, this one is just pathetic.

Reeks of Miley Cyrus and not in a good way.

Edited by EzDucksIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

“We're going to move forward with our program by relying on old-school principals, some tough edge, but building with hard work, dedication, and toughness with a creative approach”.

This!

• Thumbs Up 1

There was no mention of the other coaching candidates, and especially no mention of Justin Wilcox, no mention of the "Joey Harrington letter," and no mention of the offensive coordinator search. Is it true that Wilcox was offered the job and turned it down? We don't know. Is it true that Lanning wasn't Mullens' first choice? We don't know. How did the interview with Chip Kelly go? We don't know.

Why are so many members of the media afraid to ask real questions?

At a micro level, these questions feel to me to be...aggressive.  If he were to do so, Mullens could not be blamed for reading these as coming from a place of frustration at the outcome of the search rather than a genuine interest to understand the backstory.  

Does it matter how Chip's interview went or whether he interviewed at all?  I cannot imagine any AD ever discussing other specific candidates they might have considered or interviewed and would probably answer with something along the lines of 'we conducted an extensive search of amazing people...clear best candidate was Lanning'?

Does it matter whether Wilcox was offered the job and flat turned it down (which, in all transparency, I believe is an utter fabrication by boosters who were ride or die with that candidate)?  If you really wanted Wilcox, I understand the desire to know what happened with him, but this is a press conference introducing the new coach.  

If you were to ask, perhaps, "how did you manage the process of taking input from the many passionate camps among fans and boosters" and/or "reaction has been largely positive but some were vocal the program would be best served reaching back into the program's roots (i.e., Kelly and Justin Wilcox).  How have you reached out to these groups and what do you think you can do to get them to share in your excitement in hiring Lanning?" I think you would be on firmer ground.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I think you are reading it right Charles, especially when you add what he said yesterday for context.

“Lanning, who has helped make Georgia's defense arguably the best unit in all of college football the past three years, told the Ducks they will play "championship-level defense … but that doesn't mean we aren't going to air it out on offense."”

Axel, some of us have grown very weary of "gotcha" questions from reporters seeking only a sensational headline.  Who really needs that kind of "news" and for what purpose?  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 5:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Careful what you wish for!

oNT.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by woundedknees

I'm feeling like Oregon Football is about to take off!   I'm sensing a cooperative responsibility that translates to winning with team  passion, grace & respect. TEAM:-)

Think of your favorite amusement park ride!  Imagine getting to ride often---better & better-----with style. It's gonna get good around here!

On 12/13/2021 at 10:38 PM, 77Duck said:

Think of your favorite amusement park ride!

I'm going to go old school here . . . . Mr. Toads wild ride.