jrw

Tosh Lupoi To Oregon?

Maybe.

Remember when he had his Cal players fake injuries to slow down the Ducks?

Edited by jrw

Hmm, this might mean that he won't retain Joe Salave'a?  Joe's not quite as good as a recruiter as Lupoi but I think he's a better DL coach.

I can't remember where I heard it, but word was that Joe Salave'a was on campus in Miami, perhaps checking out the program? Lanning might be anticipating MC poaching Salave'a.

FWIW, I like Joe, think he's a good DL coach, and I hope he remains at the U of O.  I met him at the Polynesian FB Hall of Fame dinner in Waikiki a few years ago and had a good conversation about Oregon football. 

Edited by HawaiiDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2

He has the NFL connection. Not being an NFL fan I don't know much about jags D line. 

It sounds like he may be considered for DC. He was co-DC at Bama, but I don’t think he did too well. Saban got rid of him after 44-16. I heard he wasn’t a great play caller.

And the Musical Chairs Season now really begins . . .

Lupoi is an awesome recruiter!

I'd like to keep coach Salave'a. How about him as DC with a very involved certain head coach as his "assistant" possibly getting coach Salave'a ready for his own big job in the future. Lupoi can recruit and handle the d-line.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ethically challenged, from the "limp an loaf" specials at Cal to being shown the door at Fuskyland after recruiting violations.  Not sure this is the direction I would go.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/14/2021 at 4:55 AM, noDucknewby said:

Ethically challenged, from the "limp an loaf" specials at Cal to being shown the door at Fuskyland after recruiting violations.  Not sure this is the direction I would go.

I agree 100%. Wherever this guy goes in the Pac, recruiting violations follow. Peterson didn't retain him at UDub after Sark left for U$C. When Sark tried to hire him, $C admin said no because of the allegations he paid for a recruit's tutoring and that he was "steering" kids he was then recruiting for UDub to $C (while employed at UDub) and while the $C offer was pending. Allegations he did that at Cal before leaving for UDub too.

Wilcox was considering bringing Lupoi from Alabama back to Cal because Lupoi's a Bay Area guy but ultimately decided not to.

He may be a great recruiter, but has he stopped doing things which will bring scrutiny and/or NCAA enforcement? Is the risk worth the reward?

Edited by HawaiiDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sold on keeping Salavea, when KT wasn't there we seldom had any pass rush, been that way for a couple years now, might be time for a change

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

He has the NFL connection. Not being an NFL fan I don't know much about jags D line. 

The jag's Dline isn't great... it isn't bad either and they have no real names on the line that many other teams have. Tosh is considered a great recruiter and a good Line coach. if compared to Salave'a I'd say he is a better recruiter and a slight downgrade at coaching. It's worth noting that he was a DC at Bama, but Saban pulled him as the play caller because he wasn't a great play caller. I'd be okay if you made him an Associate Head coach, Dline(or pass rush) position coach and defensive recruiting coordinator.

• Thanks 1