Charles Fischer

Lanning Press Conference: I am STILL STEWING...Are YOU?

What have I been writing about for the last four years? How many hundreds of articles by writers on FishDuck have there been? How many thousands of posts by YOU have there been about the Oregon offense under Cristobal? The decline of scoring, the brand, of entertainment...

And nobody spoke of the elephant in the room at the press conference.

Isn't the ONE QUESTION we all wanted to know..."Coach Lanning, what is your philosophy on offense?"  "Beyond the platitudes we heard from Cristobal...what are your goals for scoring per game? What do YOU think it will take to win the "Natty with scoring?"  

"How do you see this happening?"  "What kind of offense are you bringing to Oregon? Pro-set, Spread...what?  Your answer could mean a difference of 20,000 more season tickets sold and fully funding all sports, so it is consequential.  WHAT are Oregon fans going to see?"

My FishDuck Friends...I am just about ready to risk my media credentials to ask these questions that none of the other spineless media will.  Think of all the articles you read every day...and all the journalists you heard asking questions in the press conference.  Only one asked a question anywhere close to what we needed to hear the answer to.  (And Jerry Thompson is a friend of mine)

Perhaps it is too many "Red Chair IPAs" late at night for me?

Dan Lanning_Duck Digest.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

It’s all words.  In 2021, only actions and....eventually.. results mean anything 

Well since Mario already misled us on what his offense would be I'll wait till the fall before making judgement.  That said his loss to Alabama was a result of having an offense that looked helpless... i suspect he knows scoring points is the name of the game even if he's a defense guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Charles, I would've asked him, "Coach Lanning, on that 13-hour car drive, what kind of offense were you dreaming up?"

I think at this point, only coach speak would have come out.  Need to wait until we have a OC

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with steven,   I think he is waiting to see what oc he gets before getting too deeply into his plans.

If we expect him to adjust and adapt doesn't that include planning around the abilities of the players?  He laid out his general philosophy of being aggressive and the importance of explosion plays.  At this point he really doesn't even know the player names, let alone if they are capable of executing a particular game plan.

At this point, show me. I want to see what Lanning's team does, and in a weird way what Mario's team does. I will be watching both, reading the stat line for Mario, thankfully don't have to watch.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:01 PM, Charles Fischer said:

...I am just about ready to risk my media credentials 

Which is just what we don't want you to do!

I got the impression that Coach Lanning looked so hard-wired excited fired-up, so happy for himself and his family, so intent on prioritizing the huge number of immediate tasks ahead of him, that he was going to bust out of his suit with a nuclear explosion!

Such that, maybe it might not have been the right time to expect such a detailed drill down on those most important concerns that you have continued to expose for us over the past four years? 

If he's not already registered on the OBD forum here, I suspect he will be. And I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't already bookmarked the FishDuck Oregon Football Repository.

Meanwhile...

I've consulted with my past, and respectfully suggest that maybe it's not too many of those late night IPAs.

Perhaps it could just be that one or two more might help alleviate that "Stewing" frustration into a more relaxed "Stewed" state?

drunk cat GIF

• Thumbs Up 3

No, I am not still stewing.  I don't know what you all wanted him to say.  No matter what is said, or who says it, it's going to be coach speak until it's accomplished.  He's been coach  for maybe 48 hours.  How could he have all the details of what he's going to do.  He has players to evaluate, assistants  and coordinators to hire, recruits to get signed.  How could he possibly have all the answers you want at an introductory press conference?  I, for one, and excited about his energy and drive.  It's going to be fun.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Adding to McDuck’s comment about a philosophy of an aggressive approach with explosion plays, Lanning said he would attack the entire field in offense, defense and special teams.  The story yesterday about his progressive increase in linebacker blitzing is revealing. 

I suspect we will see innovation like has not been there since Chip was the OC. A willingness to try he unusual and surprise.

Charles, as I listened to Coach Lanning speak at his introductory press conference, I was very energized and excited for the future of Duck football.

When the media started asking questions I was certain the first question would be about his plans to improve the scoring by the offense.

Especially when Coach mentioned explosion plays in his talk.

Considering that all those media members had written articles or discussed on the radio shows how lacking the Duck offense was. Lack of scoring was a big topic, all season long.

Why cover the sport if you won't ask the questions that are pertinent.

The media and fans alike suffered thru the offense not being able to get first downs or score to close out games.

Coach Lanning would have answered any question that addressed the elephant in the room.

The Elephant in the room that Lanning, at Georgia, and now at Oregon, and all of college football, has to deal with is this one:

image.jpeg.180a6d6f35abf693da798a7ce8b0a338.jpeg

. I'm hoping that the last few seasons, and the beat down, Alabama applied on his defense in the SEC Championship game, told him that his offense has to score points!

On 12/14/2021 at 1:36 AM, deschutesduck said:

Well since Mario already misled us on what his offense would be I'll wait till the fall before making judgement.  That said his loss to Alabama was a result of having an offense that looked helpless... i suspect he knows scoring points is the name of the game even if he's a defense guy.

It looked 'helpless' because Smart started the wrong guy at QB. Daniels should have been brought in after Bama took its first lead and Daniels should start against Michigan and against Bama after UGA defeats Michigan.

However, it was a terrible effort by the UGA DL and LBs. Auburn sacked the Heisman winner 7 times; UGA, zip. I think UGA came into the game far too overconfident and Bama played, by far, its best game of the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:06 AM, 30Duck said:

The Elephant in the room that Lanning, at Georgia, and now at Oregon, and all of college football, has to deal with is this one:

image.jpeg.180a6d6f35abf693da798a7ce8b0a338.jpeg

. I'm hoping that the last few seasons, and the beat down, Alabama applied on his defense in the SEC Championship game, told him that his offense has to score points!

It's Kirby Smart that has to be told: Start JT Daniels!  Like, Mario, Smart is a great recruiter and a risk adverse, other than for untimely fake punt calls, coach. Not benching Bennett was a big time upscrew for Kirby.

I think UGA beats 1 dimensional Michigan? And if UGA starts Daniels, I believe UGA beats Bama; especially, without WR Metchie being available for the Tide. I also think the entire UGA team after watching Bama struggle against Auburn and basically struggle all season long, came in way over confidant against a Tide team the Dawgs believed it would roll.

I think we will see the DC of Playoff Champion Georgia coming to Eugene?

Why stew? This isn't Watergate or a 60 Minutes corruption investigation, it's a press conference introducing a new football coach. It's not like there are deep, dark secrets that need to be ferreted out and revealed, or hypocrisies to be exposed, or vital information to be unearthed.

Besides, as we see in politics, press conferences are for mostly for show. Hard questions are never really answered, deflection and diversion are the orders of the day for anything uncomfortable. Real reporting covers what is done, not what is said.

All will be revealed in time.

It would not have taken much to discuss his philosophy and goals on offense to assure the Duck faithful that we are not getting another version of Cristobal. Just 30 seconds in 24 minutes could have done it beyond what he said already.

I think it was important, and I think many other fans think so as well.

But don't get me wrong--I LOVE the hire, as his upside is so much more than MC, IMHO.

Mr. FishDuck

I did not get the same impression as you. I thought he clearly indicated he wanted excitement. Explosion plays. Mario was at his most irritating when he seemed to refuse to change an in-game strategy that was not working. Hopefully Lanning would try the QBs that could throw downfield when the running game is shut down.

I wanted to know if he's ever thought about calling a time out on his 1st play of the opening drive.

• Haha 3