Log Haulin

Seasoned or Unseasoned?

What do we prefer in a OC hire? Do we go after a seasoned OC? One that has been around the block and has seen it all. If so can he work for a 35 year old man in his first job as HC? 

A veteran OC could be a steady calming force for a HC with no experience.  Could be a huge asset to Lanning to have someone experienced enough to calm the waters when it get choppy, as it definitely will at times. If that's the route, Lanning needs to hit it out of the park with a proven coach that can take over the offense as an almost HCb type. 

Does Lanning go with inexperienced youth with fresh ideas, energy and desire. Lanning said in the presser he will be cutting edge. I think the Duck powers that be would lose their minds it he goes first time OC as a hire. So I doubt he get the green light on this.

I think this team has enough talent to put up 9 or 10 wins with inexperienced staff. A green coaching staff doesn't mean they can't  coach. I think Lanning should look at Brennan Marion out of Pitt.

I might be crazy but I think a youth movement with a few seasoned consultants could pay off big in a couple years.  And this roster is loaded to have great success as Lanning and his staff develop into a great staff.

Hiring old-timers is not necessarily a bad idea.  When I retired as as a Senior non-com and applied for employment, I was denied for some positions because, either I would have to take orders from 1, a woman 2, a young person or 3, both. Very antiquated logic.

As a senior non-com I was often assigned to train and direct new officers in the performance of their job. That was often the case in the military. Never did I fail to follow direct orders from the young officers. 

That can apply to older coordinators following the orders of the younger HCs. You get paid to do a job, you do it. 

As a side note: the young officers were assigned to two Senior non-coms. One to tell the officer what to say and do, and the other to cover their butts when they messed it up.

That could be a good thing for a young HC.  

Just sayin'.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:27 AM, SoCalDuck said:

As a senior non-com I was often assigned to train and direct new officers in the performance of their job. That was often the case in the military.

Oh yes, many a time in my years in the Navy, I observed this often. The smart ensign's and LT's listened to their seasoned Sr, Chief when it came to getting things done. My first LT, Nicholas Granville Purrinton lll, wouldn't have known Bow from Aft, without Sr. Chief Lopez. 

My concern with seasoned coordinators are they're set in their ways.  They've been to numerous schools and may not be as adaptable as they were earlier.  I wan't someone with high energy, incredible drive to succeed, relates well with the kids, high energy recruiter yet has just enough experience to do the job.  If that person is only 31 with a couple years  OC or DC experience, that's just fine with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I spent 30 yrs in construction and found that age and experience aren't determining factors for leadership or the ability to be self sustained.. There were many guys that I hired that were in there 40's 50's that just weren't as sharp as some in their 30's or even 20's. It's the 'it' factor IMO. You either have it or you don't. 

I think it all depends on how you analyze your surroundings and apply that to your decision making. While an old crusty might seem like a lifeline hire for Lanning I think there are enough young guns out there that between Lanning and that young gun they'll figure it out pretty quickly so for me it's not a concern as a long as they can work together well enough.

I think it would be shrewd to bring in Bellotti a few times a month. There are so many thing about the program, conference, and just being a head coach that shouldn't be learned the hard way.

At least have a consultant type person come in and answer questions in a nonthreatening way. Having an ex-head coach directly under a new head coach may split a staff, team. It is something coaches need to be aware of. A leaders instincts are very strong. 

Some of us can remember the Secretary of State, whose background as supreme commander of the allied forces and 4* star general came into play when Reagan was shot. Haigs, "I am in control" will always be remembered as a leader stepping over the line. I don't mean to denigrate a good man, Haig was a very good leader, and public servant!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:07 AM, 47sgs said:

I wan't someone with high energy, incredible drive to succeed, relates well with the kids, high energy recruiter yet has just enough experience to do the job. 

I certainly agree. Finding oldies that fit that mold is difficult. As well, with the time restraint that Lanning is facing, finding that person is even more difficult. So, go for youth.

I think the reason we're not already hearing a bunch of names attached to the job so far is that coach Lanning is waiting on his friend Kenny Dillingham. I think the job is his to turn down.

Lanning is familiar with him. Remember three years ago when Memphis was knocking the crap out of people? Lanning is inside linebackers coach and Dillingham is OC. If Dillingham gives us the kind of number Memphis had paired with an under 20pts. per game scoring defense? The question is not the Natty. It's how many?

Many people want Joe Brady. Maybe that's coach's plan B? If it's not going to be either of those two we will start hearing a slew of names, including Musgrave.

• Thumbs Up 1

You have phrased this question perfectly for me to reflect on my cast iron collection. So to start I don't think their is a right answer.(their is a wrong answer).

your options. 1. the trusty old but battle tested #8 Wagner. It is a quality all around pan. it may have a flaw or two but it has been seasoned for years and can do what you ask it to do. Think Dan Mullen, phil longo

2. The odd enameled pan by le Creuset, It's flashy and runs a unique offense. Jeff Lebby

3. the kickstarter. their are new pans every day on kickstarter. they always look great. some have been manufactured wrong and the seasoning flakes off on the first use and others live up to their potential. 

The only wrong answer is the Lodge. Is it a good pan, yeah. is it a pan that you write home about or tell your friends about. no. And while it can hold a seasoning alright, forget about cooking anything with acid(spaghetti sauce) because it just can't stand the pressure. 

At oregon I'd accept 1-3 and the reasoning behind all three is great. the wagner add's some much needed experience in the coaches room and I wouldn't blame Lanning if he wanted it. The Creuset adds much in a unique and tested offense but obviously isn't that experience. The Kickstarter is both a way to invent yourself as a head coach and add flash to the offense but it does risk failing more than 1 or 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

The best thing the powers that he could do is sit on their hands. Let the coach...coach. If he's good enough to hire then he's good enough to run the show.

This article on Marion was shared with me from another thread. It's  a great article. Shows the kind of outside the box I would like to see at oregon. Some of it is pretty extreme but shows innovation. CK was considered extreme at the time as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, Log Haulin said:

This article on Marion was shared with me from another thread. It's  a great article. Shows the kind of outside the box I would like to see at oregon. Some of it is pretty extreme but shows innovation. CK was considered extreme at the time as well.

This is a great article! Read it this morning. It was an article like this that got me on the Dillingham train. Now I want Marion!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1