deschutesduck

Dan Lanning’s contract at Oregon for 6 years, $29.1 million

A little high for no HC experience but not out of line. Miami picks up the tab for the first 2 years, almost. The buyout should be stronger towards the end but I assume if he is successful the contract will be reworked. 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, Log Haulin said:

A little high for no HC experience but not out of line.

Agreed.  The contract may be a good deal for the school if Lanning works out.  

Isn’t Cristobal personally on the hook for his breach of contract?  If so, can we thank him for paying for our new coach for a couple of years?

On 12/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, Duck1984 said:

Agreed.  The contract may be a good deal for the school if Lanning works out.  

Isn’t Cristobal personally on the hook for his breach of contract?  If so, can we thank him for paying for our new coach for a couple of years?

Cristobal owes Oregon $9 million as liquidated damages----that's his "buyout" per the contract.   No doubt his contract with Miami provides that the school will pay it plus any income taxes Cristobal owes as a result of the school paying his liquidated damages.   Remember, it is Cristobal who owes Oregon the money, not the University of Miami.  However, the new school always agrees to cover the buyout.  

Since that is Cristobal's legal responsibility it is taxable income to him.  Miami will then have to pick up the incremental taxes caused by the $9 million in taxable income!  (Luck for UM that Florida doesn't have a state income tax.)  And as pointed out in other posts Miami will pay a non-profit excise tax for all this.   

Wacko world isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just the cost of doing BIG business.

Paying for potential at nearly $5 mil per year.  More than they paid Cristobal, who had HC experience, $2.7 mil a year to start increased to $4.3 in 2020.  Was offered $7 mil to stay but went for $8 mil at Miami.

If they paid this much for Potential, How much are they going to UP the Staff Budget for Asst Coaches, support staff.  Seems to me, Oregon should have "support staff" that can do some of the leg work of Coaches, that are ALL Oregon.  That provide logistics for the team, analysts, nutritionists, medical, equipment, facilities, video technicians, etc.

Seems to me, that Cristobal felt way underpaid, while the powers that be felt he had not proved enough to warrant more money?  That says a lot to me.  Mullens, learned so much from Helfrich maybe?  And I am not sold on Wilcox turning down Oregon.  Cal paid in 2020 a salary of $3.276 mil after taking a $228k pay cut due to Covid.  You do not think Mullens would have paid him the same as what was offered to and accepted by Lanning?  It's California, cost of living and taxes.

Wish I was a fly on the Oregon AD's wall.  Something very interesting going on here.  So many asst. coaches leaving, SO quickly.  Could not, IMHO, been a sudden thing with MC but happy with The New Hire and looking forward to a New ERA in Oregon Ducks Football.

• Thanks 1

Guest KingT

Look at the beta in Coaching -- effectively no experience Coach commands $5M and a proven winning coach is in the $8M range -- interesting how the big salaries are lifting the entry cost...would've thought no coaching experience is in the range of ~$3M.

On 12/14/2021 at 2:08 PM, KingT said:

Look at the beta in Coaching -- effectively no experience Coach commands $5M and a proven winning coach is in the $8M range -- interesting how the big salaries are lifting the entry cost...would've thought no coaching experience is in the range of ~$3M.

It is ... wacky.  And out of whack.  Football is a GAME played by kids.  For once I have to agree with Mrs. Mudslide.  Paying anyone $5 mil, or $8 mil, or whatever, for coaching this game played by kids is so very out of line with the world today that it is a bit pathological.  And from my retirement/Social Security view of things, it's a LOT pathological.  Who can afford going to games any longer?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2021 at 2:34 PM, Mudslide said:

Paying anyone $5 mil, or $8 mil, or whatever, for coaching this game played by kids is so very out of line with the world today that it is a bit pathological.

Amen.  Great to see you Mudslide--join the conversation more often! 

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, Mudslide said:

It is ... wacky.  And out of whack.  Football is a GAME played by kids.  For once I have to agree with Mrs. Mudslide.  Paying anyone $5 mil, or $8 mil, or whatever, for coaching this game played by kids is so very out of line with the world today that it is a bit pathological.  And from my retirement/Social Security view of things, it's a LOT pathological.  Who can afford going to games any longer?

Make no mistake for what I am about to say as condoning the cost of college football coaches but what they get paid has very little to do with the cost of tickets.

The average cost at Autzen is ~$60 per seatgeek. multiplied by 54K filled at 80%(43.2K) for a grand total of ~2.6M. times that by the season(7 games) and oregon is pulling in 18 million a year. in tickets(I think this is a significant over evaluation.  and is probably closer to 14-15M with another 7-8M in concessions.

To remember this is gross revenue and not net profit. Each game has a lot of staff in the stadium the cost of the food needs factored in cost of stadium upkeep. I'd be surprised if the stadium revenue exceeded 5m after the departments cost.

Football coaches are paid for at the Power 5 level almost exclusively from donors who want their team to win. That's it. We don't control the market value of it even if we think it is absolutely inflated.(it is). 

• Thumbs Up 1

What does that $5 mil to $8 mil get you in a NFL Coach?  I would have BET that at $7 mil to $9 mil I would have a Head Coach named Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney, they have won two or better in the last ten years.  Who are these guys who have leveraged their positions to make more, Tucker from Mich St, Kelly from Notre Dame to LSU, Cristobal from Oregon to Miami, Riley from Oklahoma to USC.  In the past Fisher at AtM, Orgeron formerly of LSU, Riley formerly of Ok were around $6 mil to $8 mil plus a year.

Beware Buyers Remorse, look at LSU and the Former Coach Orgeron.  FSU and their Free Willie sale several years ago.  And now the Miami and the Manny Diaz Winter Clearance.  Feels like the movie, "Fast and the Furious 10 Taking you for a Ride but Getting Paid".  I like Vin Diesel, he is the modern day Yul Brynner, Telly Savalas.  Great Actor and Paid well but as a Coach Meh.

It is just capitalism, right. What did the capitalist in the NFL do, capped the pay of their employees because they knew they had no self control. In college football there is no self control amongst the ultra wealthy when it comes to coaches.

Imagine what an owner would pay to have Brady, or Rogers on the open market? Owners would pay massively to have these guys if there was no salary cap. There are penalties to keep teams under the salary cap, under the guise they want to keep things competitive. The real reason is they have no restraint.

The funny one is the NBA where they have the soft cap, to help keep players on the same team. They then name the violations a luxury tax. Maybe we should call the excessive coaches pay a luxury tax. The continual upping of the coaches salaries the soft cap? 

Wait until this whole phenomenon hits the NIL if the whole non-profit program scam is able to work. As long as you 'work' for the non-profit, they can pay you whatever money the non-profit has, they actually have to spend it, can't have profits. The wild, wild world of an unregulated college football.

On 12/14/2021 at 4:37 PM, DuckHeart said:

Cristobal owes Oregon $9 million as liquidated damages----that's his "buyout" per the contract.   No doubt his contract with Miami provides that the school will pay it plus any income taxes Cristobal owes as a result of the school paying his liquidated damages.   Remember, it is Cristobal who owes Oregon the money, not the University of Miami.  However, the new school always agrees to cover the buyout.  

Since that is Cristobal's legal responsibility it is taxable income to him.  Miami will then have to pick up the incremental taxes caused by the $9 million in taxable income!  (Luck for UM that Florida doesn't have a state income tax.)  And as pointed out in other posts Miami will pay a non-profit excise tax for all this.   

Wacko world isn't it?

If Mario was a resident of Oregon for 2021 doesn’t he owe Oregon state taxes on that $9M?

Here are the (summarized) details of Coach Lanning's contract, presented to the U of O Board of Trustees for ratification.

• Thumbs Up 1

Par for today's course. Although this is more like put one through the windmill and win a free round kind of golf than it is regulation golf.

Edited by Jon Joseph