Haywarduck

New Recruiting War, Are We Loaded?

We had Mario, we now have Lanning, both great recruiters. The recruiting field has changed and is shifting greatly. Will Oregon keep up?

We already lost our 5* offensive lineman to the deals available to Texas, $50k per year, not bad. Can Oregon keep up with the competition at this level? I hope we also hired an NIL expert, I don't care how young he is.

• Thumbs Up 3

I do NOT know how revenue can be generated from the NIL of any offensive linemen to justify 50K.  Looks like a payoff to me...and charity work by a freshman guard is worth 50K to any charity?

Those who work for charities that I've coordinated Planned Gifts with do not make much money.  It is beyond a stretch that a "charity" paying 50K to a 19 year old tackle can be justified.  Wow.

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

I believe if I remember correctly Oregon has an entire group for the NIL and to help players navigate it. Headed up by former players and others. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2021 at 2:16 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I do NOT know how revenue can be generated from the NIL of any offensive linemen to justify 50K.  Looks like a payoff to me...

You know the sometimes, scam, with non-profits. What is the value of an employee at a non-profit, whatever it takes to make sure they don't show a profit. 

The main item is, can we keep up and compete?  We already loss, directly, a top recruit to this sales pitch. Kelvin Banks went from Oregon to Texas where he will be an employee of a non-profit and make $50k a year while attending Texas.

Agree this seems like the old car washing jobs athletes use to get from dealerships of big donors. The difference is a non-profit is just about perfectly set up for this abuse. Maybe a tax accountant can correct my understanding? 

College football is big business and the athletes are getting in on the business side. Oregon needs to stay on the cutting edge or we will continue to get cut off.

• Thumbs Up 2

The NCAA might get involved in this... and I know what you are thinking... but wait the NCAA really doesn't get involved in anything until it is super old news. 

But... the NCAA was opposed to allowing players to get any money in any way shape or form... they might be feeling upset and left out of this one and feeling like they lack control over a situation they might actually care about. 

On 12/14/2021 at 2:21 PM, Arctuniol said:

I believe if I remember correctly Oregon has an entire group for the NIL and to help players navigate it. Headed up by former players and others. 

You remember correctly, it's called Emerge https://goducks.com/sports/2021/7/14/emerge.aspx

What is Division Street headed by Sabrina and created by Phil Knight and company?

• Like 1

I doubt former players have any idea of how to work the system. That is what it is coming down to. Hopefully this will be coming to an end, but the end isn't in sight yet. Thibs did create some crypto currency scam, but the program needs accounting nerds if we are going to keep up. 

I think the whole division street idea is a very savvy marketing idea. What programs are doing to leverage the new NIL angle isn't marketing, and Oregon may have to get with it if it is going to keep up.

They may need to hire some quants to really figure out how to get money into the hands of the elite recruits, they are beginning to expect it.

The more lawyers get involved in this scam the more out of control this will get.

Texas just showed how limited that thinking is because they have finally landed on the obvious conclusion to the NIL model: Don’t be the agent, be the reseller who cares not at all if a license actually has any commensurate marketing value.  

As I think more on this, I hope the players unionize and implement a salary cap.  Seriously.  

If some Yahoo from TX wants to spend $50k per lineman and that eats up some TBD % of NIL spend per program, well, those better be some good linemen.  

As a collective, not every P5 program wants to get into this spending war.  

Maybe this once again shifts the conferences based on overall spending power of their alumni base but the smart money sees the value of a broader league based model rather than 10 haves and 47 d-league schools randomly dispersed across the country 

No idea how it works but I do see a ‘there’ there.  

IDK.  Thought exercise/tossing it out for improvement.  

Phil isn't going to be outbid for players if that is what this comes down to...not saying I like it...but I'm not worried about losing that battle if it occurs. Anybody see that Harrison Taggart has indicated he is signing... 6'2" 200lb linebacker that runs a 10.7 100m.... he can cover wide receivers or running backs without a problem. Very nice get.

Guest DUCKBILL

If you expect uncle Phil to compete successfully in a player bidding war, forget it. Oregon is not Texas.  Texas has more money than you can imagine. They will outspend almost every state in the US. This in my estimation, is the destruction of college football as we know it. There will be the haves and the have nots. The haves get richer and the have nots get poorer.

What do the universities do with their athletic facilities that they have spent millions on? Ivy League conferences anyone? Maybe the game will become a true amateur again. Fans will still go to enjoy the game. National championships will be the province of the super rich, a relatively small geographic area. We are talking professional players, amateur in name only.

Phil wins the war in the NFL and NBA, pretty sure he can handle college ball. He could pay every player 100k a year and it would amount to a rounding error on his balance sheet. 

Guest DUCKBILL

Duckology. So can any number of billionaires in Texas. There is no way we can win a bidding war, no matter how much Knight will Pay. Others will simply out bid him.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:12 PM, DUCKBILL said:

So can any number of billionaires in Texas. There is no way we can win a bidding war, no matter how much Knight will Pay. Others will simply out bid him.

Top 10 2018 undergrad billionaires.  Stanford and USC from Pac 12

List of universities by number of billionaire alumni - Wikipedia