Steven A

$250,000 per Offensive Lineman. The WILD WILD WEST Has Begun, University of Texas Just Opened Pandora's Box

So the banks bought Banks? Lol

• Haha 1

Rob Blair, one of the founders of Horns With Heart, said his organization doesn’t cross any lines.

“Pay for play is a deal breaker under NIL,” Blair said. “This isn’t pay for play. This is for actual charitable work.”

Of course it is.

• Haha 1

Charles, are there not a host of regulatory and legal requirements for charitable organizations?

This one would seem ripe for its statements, it seems to me. Salaries, overhead, donors, expenses, donations, etc.

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sark signed on for this?  Still got to pass the NCAA smell test, as lame as it maybe with Emmert the former Dawg.  Fits with the Bagmen of the SEC.  Oregon can do this NIL legit, just need the Outside the Box thinkers to step away from the bags.

All Star Money GIF by NorthWest Arkansas Community College

It ain't like that HERE, for Reals!

I think it’s 50,000 for each scholarship offensive lineman. Ridicules for sure. 

This is in no way surprising.  In fact, I am surprised it took someone this long to get there.  

If I create, say, a $100 MM fund that is used for the sole purpose of buying an NIL license for as few or as many players as I want, I am not paying players directly.  

Whether I even use those NIL rights is a whole other question.  If I have to make a good faith effort to do so, I can create a ton of low cost widgets - if needed I pair with logos of businesses contributing to the fund - and I can literally buy a team.  

They should just drop the act and do pay for play.

While we are at it, a salary cap might be a good idea so we can add a whole other layer of complexity to the AD’s office.  

NFL lite!

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Still got to pass the NCAA smell test, as lame as it maybe with Emmert the former Dawg.

Smell test, are you kidding me?  The NCAA doesn't have a nose, just a giant A$$.

Plus, it will be years before any "investigation" is started let alone concluded.  Oh, by that time UT will be an E$ECPN school.

This is bad. Could possibly destroy collegiate athletics. I can't see anyway this ends well. I fear that this will separate eventually,  football and basketball from colleges.  It will become so corrupt that some universities will have to separate to avoid legal ramifications.  Then what? How does the rest of the athletic department fund itself?  Maybe I am wrong but it feels dirty.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we need the 85 scholarship limit changed to 85 scholarships or 85 million in NILs, whichever comes first.

You know this charity work is hogwash because employees of these non profits rarely make 50m k a yr unless they are in upper management.   So we are to believe that doing a little charity work is of more value than the employee who does it 40 to 50 hrs a week?  Pay for play.  Absolutely.

• Thumbs Up 2

Clearly Quinn Ewers as QB1 will be putting in more hours on charity work so he'll be paid significantly more than the linemen... 🙄

I expect college endowment funds to suffer.  It's a lot sexier to pay for a wide receiver or quarterback than a research position.

A non-profit status is the loophole many use to make bank. The fact that the word non profit makes many believe nobody really makes any money, not the case at all. This is why it is important to look into who you donate money too, especially this time of year. 

There isn't a problem with this non-profit paying it's employee's $50k, that is the way they want it, probably nothing illegal, but ugly none the less. I would love to hear from a tax accountant who is knowledgeable about this type of thing. 

I doubt Sark is too up on this. 'This will bring me the best O-lineman, sign me up!'

Guest Axel

Call me naive, but I have a hard time believing that Seven-Win Sark needs any underhanded help in his evolution to Eight-Win Sark. 

Guest Axel
On 12/14/2021 at 4:23 PM, 30Duck said:

Rob Blair, one of the founders of Horns With Heart, said his organization doesn’t cross any lines.

“Pay for play is a deal breaker under NIL,” Blair said. “This isn’t pay for play. This is for actual charitable work.”

Of course it is.

Blair further stressed that his organization is in no way affiliated with that popular online dating service, Horny With Heart. 

On 12/14/2021 at 4:52 PM, Just Ducky said:

I think it’s 50,000 for each scholarship offensive lineman

Per year for 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope the players understand that they will be required to file returns and pay taxes on their NIL money.    In the old days the guy handing the bags of cash probably didn't send out 1099s!

Rumor is he's signing a deal with Barstool Sports for around $1,000,000

I'm shocked! Seriously, THIS is exactly what I expected. And with wide open 'free agency' in CFB, you can bet that players are being 'recruited' off rosters with promises of money, before they enter the portal.

This is a logical step on the road to a Super League and college football ending the hypocrisy and openly becoming semi-pro football.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Sark signed on for this?  Still got to pass the NCAA smell test, as lame as it maybe with Emmert the former Dawg.  Fits with the Bagmen of the SEC.  Oregon can do this NIL legit, just need the Outside the Box thinkers to step away from the bags.

All Star Money GIF by NorthWest Arkansas Community College

It ain't like that HERE, for Reals!

After the the Supreme Court decision in the Altman case, there is no NCAA smell test. There is basically no NCAA for P5 CFB.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:03 PM, Log Haulin said:

This is bad. Could possibly destroy collegiate athletics. I can't see anyway this ends well. I fear that this will separate eventually,  football and basketball from colleges.  It will become so corrupt that some universities will have to separate to avoid legal ramifications.  Then what? How does the rest of the athletic department fund itself?  Maybe I am wrong but it feels dirty.

What's left to destroy? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2021 at 9:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

There is basically no NCAA for P5 CFB.

True, though the NCAA has been antiquated for a long, long time. At best it hands down rulings that decimated SMU years back, and the Reggie Bush violations which knocked SC's recruiting back, took Bush's Heisman Trophy, but accomplished nothing about actually getting recruiting cleaned up, and of course the crowning example of how useless the NCAA is, was the North Carolina Academic Scandal where the NCAA said it lacked jurisdiction. in a matter of whether basketball players actually received  passing grades in classes they never attended. 

On 12/14/2021 at 8:05 PM, Steven A said:

I think we need the 85 scholarship limit changed to 85 scholarships or 85 million in NILs, whichever comes first.

In 2022 you can have 85 and 7 more on scholly.

OK, I'll help out with the visual

5y17mi.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1