latracey

Mycah Pittman Explains Why He Decided to Transfer.

In the following Youtube video, Mycah Pittman explains why he decided to transfer. It makes me wonder how many other players felt extremely frustrated with Oregon's offense, as well as being frustrated by being promised something different than what actually happened. It's just one of many reasons I'm glad to see Mario leave, and why I am very excited about what's ahead with Dan Lanning.

• Thumbs Up 11

It's almost surprising how not surprising his explanation is. I think if Mario had stayed, there would have been an exodus of offensive players.

• Thumbs Up 8

On 12/14/2021 at 7:52 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

It's almost surprising how not surprising his explanation is. I think if Mario had stayed, there would have been an exodus of offensive players.

You hit the nail on the head. Nothing Pittman said was the least bit surprising. What good is it to recruit some of the best skill position players in the country if you aren't going to develop their talent and use them. I'm so glad Mario is gone.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I had been thinking if Cristobal stayed around we'd see more transfers on the offense and also the recruiting numbers would drop... it's not like a wr or qb recruit out there can't watch any Cristobal led game think... uhh... no thanks. 

That said... all the cuts in his video or whatever it's called was super annoying... i couldn't finish watching... perhaps i should go yell at some kids to get off my lawn now.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:01 PM, deschutesduck said:

That said... all the cuts in his video or whatever it's called was super annoying... i couldn't finish watching... perhaps i should go yell at some kids to get off my lawn now.

It was edited A LOT. I imagine it was because he said some things either he didn't need to say, or perhaps that he felt he shouldn't say. You can tell he was pretty emotional about the decision. He loves his team mates and the school, he just has to do what he has to do to achieve his dream of playing in the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also if Mario stayed, we'd be stuck forking out 8 mil a year to watch players leave the team and his brand of snooze ball. Thank you Miami!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Exactly why Cristobal needed to go.  It blew my mind when they offered an 8 million dollar contract to keep him.  Thank you Miami, kick butt Mycah! 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mario snookered Rob Mullens about his upcoming offense, the fans, the players and I highly suspect...the coaches he recruited.  

This would have been a boring off-season because prior years we had the thought that,..."he'll learn and turn the offense over," and he is growing, etc.  Now, after four years we know that he is NOT changing, and Micah lived it.

My friends...we have really dodged a bullet here!

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Better to move on than to let his attitude linger and hurt the team.  Problem was, No umpf in the Offense, anyways and it showed in the Championship game.  I wished him well, he reminded me so much of Keanon Lowe.  Oregon had so many of these guys, Kiko Alonso, Michael Clay, Nate Costa, DJ Davis, Eddie Pleasant man the list is LONG. . . . . .Blue collar workers.  Did what was asked of them.  Emotional video, needed to make sure he did not say something in frustration but he is still young and learning.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I wonder, if Mario knew that he was in trouble, JM moving on, or knowing he would need to hire his 3rd OC in five years.  That would point to his ineptness leading a team to success on the field.  Where as changing jobs buys him three to four years if he nails recruiting.  Paying off debt and get your stuff in order Mario.  Life can be fickle, you never know when the luck runs out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

It made no sense to offer Cristobal $7 million as an inducement to stay at Oregon. We are so much better off with Dan Lanning at the helm.

Thank you, Miami! I am now a big, big fan of the U!

Now I wonder if Moorhead opens up the offense full throttle at the Alamo just to revive his reputation as an offensive wiz.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

I told my friend this about Mario from very early on and he fought and fought because he is one of the homer fans that needs to have an idealized view of the head coach. But he came around eventually and especially when the blah blah about toughness never showed up consistently on the field.

Looks like Kenny Dillingham from Florida State has shown some interest in Mr. Pittman. Guess who Dan Lanning is trying to hire as his Offensive Coordinator? That's right, Kenny Dillingham. Hmmmm....

I'm really excited about the future of Oregon football my friends.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Great video (listened instead of watching, so edits didn't bother me).

Best of luck to him in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even with Pittman leaving this receiver room is stacked.....If Lanning doesn't go heavy on the pass more will leave and they should.....maybe I'm just naive but it seems to me that installing an up tempo throw the ball down the field pro style spread offense that's 60-65% pass oriented is the way to go.....just say'n. Some RPO but not much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. Pittman QUIT on a TEAM when it had worked its way up to a #3 ranking in the CFP.

Says that instead of staying committed to WHATEVER that TEAM asked of him at that most critical moment of the season, that he was more interested in what he wanted.

Spare me the crocodile tears.

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

These kids have 3 years to show enough talent to get a chance at the NFL. When the teams leading receiver is a RB it should be no surprise that talented wide receivers will leave the program. Imagine if Leach got a 5* running back to commit and let him carry the ball 5 times a game...(ok bad analogy that kid might still have a ridiculous year..)...but you get the gist.. These kids come here to showcase their talent, the more talent, the more it needs to utilized. All of these kids need highlight reels to get drafted and they know it. Moorehead and/or Cristobal were not getting that done on the offensive side of the ball.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:13 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

Mr. Pittman QUIT on a TEAM when it had worked its way up to a #3 ranking in the CFP.

Says that instead of staying committed to WHATEVER that TEAM asked of him at that most critical moment of the season, that he was more interested in what he wanted.

Spare me the crocodile tears.

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

First of all let’s just stop with the nonsense that Oregon was the third best team in the country…..they weren’t even a top ten team, as was evidenced by one lackluster performance after another from the Ohio State game going forward.

I think Pittman quit on Oregon because he felt Oregon had quit on him.

Pittman was just one of many talented receivers on the team, and I’m sure he was also just one of several who were disgruntled. Receivers want to catch the ball….it’s really that simple. Sure, they block, they are used as decoys, but what they really want is to catch passes. And they can’t catch a pass if the quarterback can’t throw the ball. Is it any wonder, as Pittman intimated, that he was not at all the only unhappy player in the receivers room?

I’m hopeful that Lanning is not just giving lip service to opening up the offense. If he fails to follow through, more receivers may be moving on, and recruiting replacements could be challenging.

Oregon football became a national brand during the Chip Kelly years because it was exciting. Now it’s just…..blah! That needs to change.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

After watching the video and pondering on it....I am now back to being convinced that this was completely a selfish act by Pittman.  

C'mon...he was on the inside.  He knew better than anyone before this year what Mario wanted to do.  Note how he spoke often of the NFL in the video?  Sorry, but I do not think he is NFL talent.  He is correct in his determination of the Cristobal intent and offense...but he knew it already.  Yes...Cristobal fed him a bum deal, and we agree.  So transfer at the end of the season!

Note also that he spoke of, "what if I get injured and enter the portal as damaged goods?"  It's all about ME baby!  He spoke how his head wasn't in to it...."oh geez, life is so tough.  You are an incredible athlete that has four games left to play before you take your talents elsewhere, but you cannot wait?"  "Your head wasn't in it?  You poor baby!"  

Geez...is that the epitome of today's spoiled, entitled athlete?

I do not blame him for transferring AFTER the season was over.  He bailed on his teammates because of his own selfish desires.  And bailing like that was a distraction that hurt the team, and ultimately will be recognized for what it was. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

Charles,

This appears, to my reading, to violate rule 26. Do not get personal in judgements of the players, “Your head wasn’t in it? You poor baby!” “Geez…is that the epitome of today’s spoiled, entitled athlete?”

On 12/15/2021 at 12:39 AM, LB48 said:

Charles,

This appears, to my reading, to violate rule 26. Do not get personal in judgements of the players, “Your head wasn’t in it? You poor baby!” “Geez…is that the epitome of today’s spoiled, entitled athlete?”

LB48...let's look at Rule 26....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. 26: Do not get personal in judgments of  the Players or Coaches: We allow commenting about players and coaches as that is what message boards and forums are all about. Second-guessing coaches and judging player performance is what everyone does, but we must not get personal or nasty toward them. Questioning a play-call or whether a tackle should have been made (Performance-related) is fine, and give your thoughts as to why in one direction or the other.

Whether a coach should be retained or a player replaced is also fair-game because they know they are in the public sphere and that goes with the territory. Let’s discuss, but Ad Hominem attacks on them are forbidden.

No such rules with coaches at other teams, their players or their fans. Go for it and have fun!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

LB48....the rules pertain to current members of the team.  Micah Pittman is no longer on the team, and has not been for nearly a month.  This case was actually discussed among us Moderators about how to handle it because tons of forum members wrote how he was selfish, and I gave it a pass since he left the team before the season was done.

This was a great example of trying to justify bad behavior through the video and it backfired on him.

Members of this forum can go after the players, coaches, fans--anything of other teams.  We cannot get personal with members of the forum, writers and management of the forum, and current players/coaches of the team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When I call or check with someone on a rule violation--I do it privately by phone or email.  It is a shame you could not do the same, LB48.  I would now suggest you look at Rule No. 3  before you respond.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I didn't have to see this video to know why he left.  I don't blame him at all for leaving.  What WR - NFL aspirations or not, realistic or not - wants to play for a team where the leading receiver often would have something like 48 yards? 

However, leaving mid-season was weak.  If you don't want to commit to the team, don't - but don't decide that halfway through the season.  Finish what you start, or don't start it.  Another reason I have no problem with Lanning coaching UGA through the CFP.

• Thumbs Up 3

I understand his frustrations but the decent character building thing to do in adversity when you pledge yourself to a team is to finish out the season.  So in my opinion Cristobal misled and Pittman acted poorly.  You simply CANNOT leave your comrades in the heat of battle because of petty grievances.  Trying times are what makes a man/woman. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Nothing good to say on this one.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:01 PM, latracey said:

I'm so glad Mario is gone.

Sadly I wanted Mario gone two years ago because I saw the "writing" on the wall about his offense. I talked with a co-worker, who I tailgate with, and he said I was an idiot...fast forward to this year and that same person was one of the people who booed the coaching staff at Autzen. 

Great recruiting aside, MC was listening to too much Bruce Springsteen and reminiscing about his "Glory Days."

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

The kid has already given a broken collarbone and broken forearm. Not sure why he would want to continue sacrificing himself and his NFL future (His dad made it and his brother so the genetics are definitely there.) He had over 3000 yards receiving in high school and over 30 touchdown catches... The ducks had him with a whopping 12 Rec this year..yet they had him return 15 punts.... Considering he has visited with Dillingham at FSU, and kids who enter the Portal are still not obligated to actually transfer, the kid is technically still a Duck.....FSU visit... For some of us once a Duck, always a Duck....is a thing.

Edited by Duckology
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:56 PM, DUCKED said:

First of all let’s just stop with the nonsense that Oregon was the third best team in the country…..

Certainly, I knew that when I posted my opinion on Mr. Pittman’s decision to quit the team it would not agree with many other fine members here on OBDF.

But I respect their opinions, whether they agree with me or not.

However, in expressing your opinion, I regret that you felt the need to quote the wording of my personal post.  Which, by doing so, alludes to the suggestion that anyone believing that the #3 Duck ranking was justified is just engaging in sheer “nonsense.”

I never said that it was justified.  I said that at that point they had “worked their way up” to that position.

And that was not my opinion.  It was reality.

It was the opinion of the CFP Selection Committee, and #4 ranking with the AP writers, Even the so-called “savvy” sports betting lines before Utah kicked our butts never came close to predicting the huge magnitude of the coming reality.

All of which, if I’m not mistaken, carries more weight in the potential future of team’s fortunes than any individual fan’s “opinion” does.

I understand what you mean about the tenuousness of that ranking at that time, and indeed had my own grave and very strong doubts, which of course were horribly realized.

It is true that I do have more of than a reasonable share of “nonsense” in my feeble make up, and do struggle daily in hopes to keep it under control.

Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mycah is gone, would have been nice if he had stayed to finish the season. It seems now that Mario also left before the season was over. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2021 at 8:01 AM, 30Duck said:

Mycah is gone...

I didn't realize he had transferred? Dillingham has made 2  Trips to Eugene..... Are you sure he is gone? The coach and the OC that he had issues with are gone.... Transfer portal candidates can withdraw from the portal at any time.... granted the school is under no obligation to renew his scholarship ..but with Dillingham being the guy making that decision... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:56 PM, DUCKED said:

First of all let’s just stop with the nonsense that Oregon was the third best team in the country…..they weren’t even a top ten team, as was evidenced by one lackluster performance after another from the Ohio State game going forward.

I think Pittman quit on Oregon because he felt Oregon had quit on him.

Pittman was just one of many talented receivers on the team, and I’m sure he was also just one of several who were disgruntled. Receivers want to catch the ball….it’s really that simple. Sure, they block, they are used as decoys, but what they really want is to catch passes. And they can’t catch a pass if the quarterback can’t throw the ball. Is it any wonder, as Pittman intimated, that he was not at all the only unhappy player in the receivers room?

I’m hopeful that Lanning is not just giving lip service to opening up the offense. If he fails to follow through, more receivers may be moving on, and recruiting replacements could be challenging.

Oregon football became a national brand during the Chip Kelly years because it was exciting. Now it’s just…..blah! That needs to change.

He could have finished out the season. He could have had some highlight reel plays had he stayed.

BTW, "we" know they weren't one of the top 3 best teams, but they were rated #3. I feel like you are splitting hairs. So by being "rated" 3 at the time, there was a possibility they could get in to the CFP. Had AB played against Utah like he did OSU, the Ducks 'might' have have pulled out a miracle and be in it and Pittman could have been a hero. But he quit.

I believe he still has the ability to return if he, the coach and school agree as he's entered the transfer portal, but has not committed to another school.  While he may have ticked off many fans, he still is a good college receiver.  He also appears to have developed a relationship with our new OC from FSU.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, Duckology said:

Considering he has visited with Dillingham at FSU, and kids who enter the Portal are still not obligated to actually transfer, the kid is technically still a Duck.....FSU visit... For some of us once a Duck, always a Duck....is a thing.

I'm not going to lie. I really like Mycah Pittman and I hated to see him go because I know he loves it here. I've been following his video adventures at Oregon for a while now and he won a place in my heart. Although he was hardly targeted at all this season, he has proven over his Oregon career that he is an outstanding receiver. Just as problem child Carrington did when he transferred to Utah, Pittman will prove his worth at his next stop.

That all said, I read what Mr. FishDuck wrote and I have to agree with him that Mycah leaving before the season ended could be seen as an immature and selfish thing to do, in spite of the fact that he wanted to red shirt early in the season but was strongly discouraged to do so by Cristobal and B Mac. There was also another meeting that he refused to go into detail about later in the season where I'm sure he was read the riot act ( Think Kris Hutson. My way or the highway, baby !!).

As he alluded to in the video, I think his treatment and broken promises by his coaches resulted in some mental issues that also played a role in his decision making process. It's true that he was selfishly looking out for himself and avoiding injury, but it's also true that he had a terrible attitude that snowballed as the frustrations of the season mounted and he didn't want to be a negative influence on his fellow players. 

We often encourage men and women to tough out relationships that are abusive to the point of resulting in real and lasting damage to the victims. This is not good my friends. "Be tough" or "Be a man" or "Honor your commitment" when someone is dealing with an abusive relationship that is hurting them is neither right, good, nor healthy. We should be singing the praises of people who are brave enough and strong enough to make the decision to walk away from mental and physical abuse. It's not easy in this "take it like a man" society we live in.

Mario liked to talk about his "real relationships" with his players, but I think that many of them were as frustrated as Pittman. We know the WR room is a mess, and I'm sure the QB room is as well. Had Cristobal stayed, there would have been a portal exodus unparalleled in the history of Oregon football. It's clear that there were many players who didn't have their heads into either of the games against Utah. Like Mr. FishDuck said, we dodged a bullet with Cristobal because things were going downhill fast.

That all said, Dillingham will be Oregon's new Offensive Coordinator and Pittman has developed a very positive relationship with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Pittman is convinced to switch gears and stick it out at Oregon, much like Seven McGee. Has anyone else noticed how young this new staff is turning out to be?

Young and hungry. I'm loving it people!

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/15/2021 at 3:44 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I didn't have to see this video to know why he left.  I don't blame him at all for leaving.  What WR - NFL aspirations or not, realistic or not - wants to play for a team where the leading receiver often would have something like 48 yards? 

However, leaving mid-season was weak.  If you don't want to commit to the team, don't - but don't decide that halfway through the season.  Finish what you start, or don't start it.  Another reason I have no problem with Lanning coaching UGA through the CFP.

I, too, have no problem with Pittman leaving.  He was not utilized in a manner remotely resembling what he, and other talented receivers, were promised.

And yes, his decision was based largely on his feeling that he had to go elsewhere to give himself a legitimate shot at the NFL. Nothing wrong with that…..see Burrow, Fields, Mayfield, Murray, etc., all transfers and now NFL starters, who made personal decisions that were instrumental in their later success. 

But, I certainly agree that leaving prematurely was a mistake. You stick it out, play hard to the finish, and don’t become a distraction.

I don’t blame him for leaving, but the timing was awful.

• Like 1

I really felt that Mycah and Johnny Johnson got screwed and should have been utilized way more.  It's a shame that all that talent from those guys and others was wasted.  We would be in the playoffs if we had had a better OC.  I say the same thing about our stable of running backs.  Seems we just waste real talent all the time.  And don't get me started about Justin Herbert.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2021 at 5:36 AM, Haywarduck said:

Nothing good to say on this one.

You nailed it - both Pittman and Marios are now bygones.    There may be lessons to learn for the new coaches and players, but not much more for us speculators.

I never 'got' why Mario signed so many WRs in the first place? And never put an emphasis on signing RBs? 

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2021 at 9:53 AM, Choodiddy said:

We would be in the playoffs if we had had a better OC.

IMO the OC(s) were NEVER the problem. It was always the HC wanting play calls that he wanted to see. We blamed Arroyo when he was OC but the plays up the middle never changed from one coordinator to the next. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wasn't able to listen, but had the subtitles on (but the seemed terrible), but I thought I read that he said he left early because he got a sprained ankle, and then chose to quit due to the fact that he wanted to be at full health when he entered the portal. Can anyone confirm? Otherwise, I will have to replay the video later, which isn't a terrible bother. 

AB was never mentioned, but I frequently thought I saw open receivers downfield on a lot of pass plays that ultimately ended with AB tucking and running,

or checking down to a receiver short of the line to gain. Maybe that was a large part of the problem that wasn't stated?

Not so much that there weren't enough passing plays called, but that AB couldn't find his receivers, or hit them when he did see them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2021 at 7:50 PM, Wood Duck said:

Maybe that was a large part of the problem that wasn't stated?

Not so much that there weren't enough passing plays called, but that AB couldn't find his receivers, or hit them when he did see them.

Okay, so switch to another QB if that was the problem.  With three very high-level recruits waiting in the wings, at least TRY one of them.