HawaiiDuck

Coach Lanning: LaMichael James Making a Pitch to Join Your Staff!

I don't mean to tell DL how to do his job but this needs to get done yesterday!

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

How good is he at recruiting?

On 12/15/2021 at 12:42 PM, Jon Sousa said:

How good is he at recruiting?

He learned from the best, and he is available.  Coach Campbell always had better RB recruits than we've had in the last five years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What is his coaching experience? Is he coaching in college now? Does he have his degree? What will the Oregon community’s reaction be knowing that he was once arrested for domestic abuse? I don’t mean to be the Debbie Downer, but these are things that the administration will want to know.

I will be disappointed if we can’t do better.

I don't know, this would a be a huge stretch.  I love LaMike, one of the all time Oregon greats.  But he hasn't even been a GA on a coaching staff...

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2021 at 1:10 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

What is his coaching experience? Is he coaching in college now? Does he have his degree? What will the Oregon community’s reaction be knowing that he was once arrested for domestic abuse? I don’t mean to be the Debbie Downer, but these are things that the administration will want to know.

I agree with all of your points except for the Domestic Abuse. Look I don't condone any action of abuse but the charges were dropped and he plead guilty to one charge of harassment and had home confinement for 10 days...

That is the beauty of our justice system he should only beheld accountable for things he was actually found guilty of...

as for if he graduated, i believe he did but i'm not entirely certain. He did make pac 12 all academic team at least once during his oregon career.

as for his coaching, he has no experience on the field. maybe he could be a GA, or analyst and prove he has the chops to coach before getting paid big.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Got to have an eye for talent, not what he does in HS but how he could, if he was taught right.  All the running backs under Campbell, I thought were good.  If you rode the bench, it was just better above you.  LMJ powered through the dislocated elbow by rehabbing hard, he was driven to get back into play, inspired by Campbell. 

He was that kind of coach to his recruits.  The Only recruits, I recall leaving his squad was Lache Seastrunk, Dontae Williams, Tra Carson.  Wish LMJ was teaching young kids to play ball, smart and skilled like his former mentor.  Might be more to his offer than.  If it does not work out, maybe time to invest in that dream by reaching out locally.

I guess social media is the way to get things done in this day and age. I'm just not from this day and age, I suppose.

I would love to see DL reach out to alumni, coaches and players, and see who can be helpful. Said it before, Bellotti could be an invaluable asset to have on a new coach's side.

A Will Takuafu would be another great alumni type hire at a low level. Some of the guys who were grinders, may have what it takes to make a difference.

From Dan's background I would say waiting outside his office to talk to him would be a more productive method. Work harder than Dan does at finding you, and you might have a chance. Know your audience LaMike!

• Thumbs Up 2

Would LOVE to see LMJ on the coaching staff!  Who do YOU go to when you want to learn something?  Someone who knows how to do it!  Would you turn down a lesson from Tiger Woods because he has “no coaching experience”?   I don’t think so!  

Give him a shot DanLan!  Wouldn’t a recruit be impressed by having a Doak Walker Award winner in his presence?  C’mon!!!  Let’s DO it!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2021 at 12:43 PM, Duckdude said:

Would LOVE to see LMJ on the coaching staff!  Who do YOU go to when you want to learn something?  Someone who knows how to do it!  Would you turn down a lesson from Tiger Woods because he has “no coaching experience”?   I don’t think so!  

Give him a shot DanLan!  Wouldn’t a recruit be impressed by having a Doak Walker Award winner in his presence?  C’mon!!!  Let’s DO it!

I would take Tiger Woods' instructor over Tiger Woods, maybe a beer with Tiger, actually maybe not.

There is a saying those who can, do, and those who can't, teach. A grinder may be a better choice, but if he wants to work at the craft, I would love to see it.

On 12/15/2021 at 12:22 PM, UtahDuck said:

I agree with all of your points except for the Domestic Abuse. Look I don't condone any action of abuse but the charges were dropped and he plead guilty to one charge of harassment and had home confinement for 10 days...

That is the beauty of our justice system he should only beheld accountable for things he was actually found guilty of...

as for if he graduated, i believe he did but i'm not entirely certain. He did make pac 12 all academic team at least once during his oregon career.

as for his coaching, he has no experience on the field. maybe he could be a GA, or analyst and prove he has the chops to coach before getting paid big.

It would be a long and hard stretch to call it domestic abuse.   

On 12/15/2021 at 12:22 PM, UtahDuck said:

LaMike owns a couple Killer Burger restaurants, now a businessman!

On 12/15/2021 at 1:37 PM, Haywarduck said:

would take Tiger Woods' instructor over Tiger Woods, maybe a beer with Tiger, actually maybe not.

You have got to be kidding me!  
You’d turn down a lesson from Tom Brady, over his Coach?  You’d turn down Albert Einstein over his Math teacher?  You’d turn down Eric Clapton over his guitar teacher?  You’d turn down Lebron over his Coach?   C’mon!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

LaMichael was the real deal as a running back. Based upon Dan Lanning’s background, and the way he got into college football, I would recommend to LaMichael that he meet face to face with our new coach if he is really serious. 

I would expect the Coach to at least listen. From there it’s all on LaMichael as to whether he wants to start as low man on the totem pole and work his way up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2021 at 12:43 PM, Duckdude said:

Would you turn down a lesson from Tiger Woods because he has “no coaching experience”?   I don’t think so!  

I definitely would turn down a former drug addict and a driver who enjoys going 85 in a 45 . . .  hey, that's just me.

Lesson: Always look behind the curtain.

On 12/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, ColoradoDuck said:

Coach Campbell always had better RB recruits than we've had in the last five years. 

Gie the record Verdell was a Campbell recruit. He stuck with Oregon after all the coaching changes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, Duckdude said:

You have got to be kidding me!  
You’d turn down a lesson from Tom Brady, over his Coach?  You’d turn down Albert Einstein over his Math teacher?  You’d turn down Eric Clapton over his guitar teacher?  You’d turn down Lebron over his Coach?   C’mon!!!!

I have been around, and even seen world class athletes teach, it isn't always pretty. Most love being around the great world class athlete, and may talk about what they said, but they can't apply what they said. The world class athletes lesson is usually just an amazing story, everyone remembers afterward.

An elite master teacher is worth every penny.

The reason the NBA is now full of ex-players as coaches is because they are just glorified baby sitters. I wouldn't take a lesson from a coach, over a player, but a true master teacher, any day.

Have you had a lesson from a legend? I will admit Einstein and his teacher would have been way over my head! I have also been around some math quants, crazy stuff their minds do.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think there are great athletes who are or could be great coaches.  Michael Jordan, is a high driven athlete who looks to have the ability to coach a willing pupil but does not look like he has the patience to waste on inattentive, people that know more. . . .  Tiger Woods has made his share of mistakes in life but he has the patience to get out there with his son, as his father did.  A built in connection.  A life mentor.

I believe that the teachers need to get to the kids younger, when their social ego's are not so large and kids are more receptive to instruction, guidance and commitment.  The athletes that seem to do well, have this nature in their Athletic DNA, KT, McKinely III, Dorlus and DJ Johnson, look like the types.  They do what ever is asked, to their best.  Take that to the Pro's, after your done go coach, teach others about PASSION, Hardwork and Commitment.

Uhhh, I have reason to believe that LaMike would be a great or good assistant coach.  He was a truly great back and he had a great position coach in college.   As far as I know he has never done anything to prepare himself to be a coach.   I think Lanning will pass.

On 12/15/2021 at 5:33 PM, Haywarduck said:

Have you had a lesson from a legend

Yes…….not to beat this topic to death……..and, each time it’s been very valuable.  I get your very credible point, but………there is so much that can be learned from the Greats, I.e. someone who’s “done it”.    If they can’t tell you…….which I did not find to be the case……it’s on you to get it out of them.  Even from you……you have great insight, and a good facility for explaining it…..we all benefit.   Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2